Adamec: Stevens impresses in Huskies exhibition opener | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Adamec: Stevens impresses in Huskies exhibition opener

Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield was brought to UCONN for one reason, to be Moriah's replacement as the floor general, for the life of me don't know why anyone thought this would play out any differently. That has been the team vision from day one... She is the most gifted at her position on the offensive end and now with the freshman learning curve behind her, there is less second-guessing going through her mind as with any freshman that goes through this program.

Z will probably start at some point throughout this season, but that may be more likely to do with matching up against a specific team, than "her being too good to come off the bench" This team has 6-7 extremely talented and somewhat experienced players with 4 of them being equally dynamic ( Napheesa, Gabby, Katie-Lou and Azurá ) and 2 of the remaining 3 currently knocking on that door. To label Z as the most talented player on this team, as some have already suggested, is an insult to any of the other 3 All Americans in my opinion.

This could be a year where both Kia and Crystal's scoring could increase by a significant amount, it is safe to say you can expect those two to see more open shots as a result of defenses trying to stop the tandem of the Dynamic 4.

One final comment, out of the freshman play in the first game, I was most impressed with Andra's intensity on defense and apparent confidence to take her shots even though she missed them.. She may well be the next Kia Nurse. Will be interesting to see how many minutes she can steal this year on this team. This is going to be so much fun to watch.

Possible he'll do the matchup thing but how often have you ever heard Geno to be making moves with starters for matching up to another team rather than having the team match up to him? So what you're saying is even though this is one of Geno's most talented teams ever, he is going to go away from a philosophy of that he has coached during his entire career of his preference of not to match up to the opponent from game to game rather than forcing the opponent to match up to his extremely extremely extremely talented team?

Secondly, do you think that Danger's game would change if she came off the bench? You don't think she still is MoJeff's replacement because she'd come off the bench? How does her game change if she came off the bench vs start while it diminishes her from being MOJeff's replacement?

Third- do you think by season's end AZ will be in POY discussion and be a 1st team a/a?

Reaction Score
The Core 4 are called the Core 4 for a reason. You don't mess with the Core , you build around the Core .

So it's the Core 4 + Dangerfield or the Core 4 + Stevens. You don't remove one of your core.

Good arguments can be made for Core 4 + Dangerfield and good arguments can be made for Core 4 + Stevens. You can't make a good argument for removing one of the Core 4.

Granted at some point this year most likely Dangerfield and Stevens will start together. But that will be due to injury or doghouse.

For those that thought Stevens would start over Dangerfield, (and it still could happen, eh, maybe) be happy that Dangerfield is good enough this year to make that NOT happen. This is a good thing. We all knew Stevens was going to be really, really good. Geno said Stevens was going to be really, really good. We didn't know how big a sophomore jump Dangerfield would make. Looks like a really really big one. Again, this is a good thing.

I'm giddy that we have a super 6. Now I'm expecting Walker and Boutaly to move up. Just elated with the possibilities of this team. After reading how well Danger is, and how what camrncruz said of Az and seeign Gneo giddy in the postgame talking about AZ, the team is a beast. I'm just so elated.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I agree that Z will certainly get her minutes, but just going off of Geno's comments, if you replace one of the guards with Z, it forces Pheesa and Gabby in particular, into different roles than last season. While I'm sure that will happen for certain game situations during the season, it appears that Geno is not comfortable with that type of lineup on a regular basis.
There was this video I saw--maybe here, maybe on the Hartford Courant site--where Gabby said she was looking forward to having Z on the floor because she (Gabby) would not have to guard the other team's center/big/post. So it seems at least Gabby was eager to assume a different role than last season. As you, Coco and others have written, the players will have to adapt to multiple lineups and different responsibilities. It's an embarrassment of riches but I doubt Geno feels any discomfort at having to choose between his Tiffany's gem or his Cartier bauble.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There was this video I saw--maybe here, maybe on the Hartford Courant site--where Gabby said she was looking forward to having Z on the floor because she (Gabby) would not have to guard the other team's center/big/post. So it seems at least Gabby was eager to assume a different role than last season. As you, Coco and others have written, the players will have to adapt to multiple lineups and different responsibilities. It's an embarrassment of riches but I doubt Geno feels any discomfort at having to choose between his Tiffany's gem or his Cartier bauble.
I remember the clip. Fortunately, Gabby is one of those truly remarkable athletes who can effectively guard the other team’s 1 through 5 on defense.

Reaction Score
To answer your question - not 100% sure what Geno meant by "it won't be that easy" since he didn't really elaborate, but given our offense sputtered at times in the first game, I suspect he's talking about meshing new parts. As great as Crystal has played, she's not Saniya. She's shorter, has a smaller reach, sees the floor differently than Saniya, and delivers the ball differently to the players. Then he has brand new players off the bench. Azura, Megan, Batouly (once healthy), and Mikalya will probably be off the bench in that order (unless you switch Batouly with Megan), and then where does Kyla and Molly fit into that depth chart? It won't be easy to figure out the rotations, who plays best, who looks best with others, and also the genetics of the opponent.

A few thoughts. Just like some notions were bandied about this summer regarding starting Crystal and Azura, and then bringing Gabby off the bench (was NEVER going to happen), unless Crystal suddenly stops playing well, or sees a dip in how she runs the team, NO WAY does Geno sit her midway thru the season to start Azura instead.

That would damage Crystal's confidence, and force Geno mid-season to do just what he said he did not want to do (make everyone else on the floor play out of positions where they are not only comfortable, but free to do what they do best). He raved about Crystal all October, and after the 1st exhibition game.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. Unless there is an injury or Crystal suddenly regresses back to her high school days, there is zero chance Azura starts this season. IMHO...

I agree. I think AZ is part of the meshing of new parts.

And I agree no way Gabby comes off the bench.

But NO WAY do agree with your points in bold. Players like Danger are amazingly talented. When will Geno not look to push his pg who is a super super talent because he's concerned he'll affect her confidence? He'll do exactly the opposite and look ot tear her down. At the end of the year look to build the player up- sure. IMO Geno's bread-and-butter style of coaching is to tear the younger players down. How many itmes have we heard either him or Cd or the players say (or all) - he is so hard on his stars becuase he knows the harder eh is on them, the games will be easy? -- And how is he tough on them? It's not only "yelling and being extremely demanding." But . . . minutes. And this team has minutes to give.

I've seen very few answers to the question I've asked in different ways-- would love to hear your opinion--
Do you think by season's end AZ will be in POY discussion and be a 1st team a/a?

I just want to add just because I think AZ will eventually start I am super excited about the super 6 and overall Danger's early outlook. I have spoken many times on here that I prefer guard play. I love love love the idea that Danger is a beast. I love the idea that UCONN will remain a fast pace team. Love it! Am looking forward to when Walker gets in her groove eventually. Though on the flip-side I'm a big fan of the ability to shoot the ball. Athletes that can't shoot is like the men's game and if you aren't a big center, eventually that style can be stifled by a terrfic defensive team that takes care of the ball.

Reaction Score

What a great post. I feel pretty bad when I'm talking AZ vs Danger as a starter. I feel like I'm bashing Danger but I'm not. And whoever starts so be it. Danger and AZ playing together will be a beast too - so this "vs stuff" of starters isn't so hot to speak of either because it really isn't "vs." They are going to be dynamite together. They make each other better too it appears. Which to choose? It IS as you say an embarrassment of riches. And frankly, I prefer watching great guard play.

Reaction Score
What a great post. I feel pretty bad when I'm talking AZ vs Danger as a starter. I feel like I'm bashing Danger but I'm not. And whoever starts so be it. Danger and AZ playing together will be a beast too - so this "vs stuff" of starters isn't so hot to speak of either because it really isn't "vs." They are going to be dynamite together. They make each other better too it appears. Which to choose? It IS as you say an embarrassment of riches. And frankly, I prefer watching great guard play.

Obviously, the sample size is ridiculously small(1 game), but the pick and roll game between Stevens and Dangerfield is amazing. They just have a great connection together. Guarding that has to be an absolute nightmare for defenders.

Reaction Score
Liked your post a lot. It's something that I agree with and have mentioned before, but it's really never been discussed on the BY to my recollection.

Currently, Geno does not have a PG recruited coming in any time soon. If we land Williams, she's not a PG, nor is it likely she would be converted to one. She's definitely a combo guard / shooting guard / 2. However, for some reason I thought I recalled reading she has good PG instincts, and has played that position well when needed. I can't find the articles so maybe I'm misremembering, but it would be logical to groom her as Crystal Dangerfield's back up given there is no one else in the next recruiting cycle to play that role... She has all the skills, she's just tentative at this point and lacks confidence in running things the way UCONN runs offense...
MIkalya is a serious candidate for backup point guard. By mid season, Andra E-H will be pushing for more minutes somewhere.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's interesting to see how much information can be gleaned, and opinions formed by some fans after one exhibition game. Said comments reinforce the primacy that there are some very knowledgeable and intellectual fans here. This was the first time we've heard from Geno, and what his thoughts are on the make-up and chemistry of this team, and the character he wants this starting unit to have.

It was nice to kick off the season, and get our first look at the freshmen play against college level opponents. I want to see more, so I look forward to the game against Ashland Sunday, who should provide more intensity than Fort Hays, as their team is the defending national champion of Div. 2.

I hope to see more of the bench players. I don't think we'll be seeing much of them in the Marquee games (Stanford, Texas, UCLA, Notre Dame, Maryland, etc.). UConn only plays 10 OOC games before conference play begins on Dec. 31 (XL Center) with Memphis. I can see Geno going 4 deep on his beach between the Stanford and Memphis games. I still want to see more of the bench players to get a better view and understanding of where they are at this point.

We already know what to expect from the starters, and who Geno has chosen to round out the starting unit. Once the freshmen settle down and realize that they can play at this level, they all will begin to improve noticeably. However like Crystal, I don't expect any of them to bloom until this time next year. Geno says it every year, it takes the average freshman that long to "get it", and understand what they are doing in his system. We'll just have to be patient. Gabby will continue to jump the toss to begin the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree. I think AZ is part of the meshing of new parts.

And I agree no way Gabby comes off the bench.

But NO WAY do agree with your points in bold. Players like Danger are amazingly talented. When will Geno not look to push his pg who is a super super talent because he's concerned he'll affect her confidence? He'll do exactly the opposite and look ot tear her down. At the end of the year look to build the player up- sure. IMO Geno's bread-and-butter style of coaching is to tear the younger players down. How many itmes have we heard either him or Cd or the players say (or all) - he is so hard on his stars becuase he knows the harder eh is on them, the games will be easy? -- And how is he tough on them? It's not only "yelling and being extremely demanding." But . . . minutes. And this team has minutes to give.

I've seen very few answers to the question I've asked in different ways-- would love to hear your opinion--
Do you think by season's end AZ will be in POY discussion and be a 1st team a/a?

I just want to add just because I think AZ will eventually start I am super excited about the super 6 and overall Danger's early outlook. I have spoken many times on here that I prefer guard play. I love love love the idea that Danger is a beast. I love the idea that UCONN will remain a fast pace team. Love it! Am looking forward to when Walker gets in her groove eventually. Though on the flip-side I'm a big fan of the ability to shoot the ball. Athletes that can't shoot is like the men's game and if you aren't a big center, eventually that style can be stifled by a terrfic defensive team that takes care of the ball.
Fair enough and it may be splitting hairs, but the point I was trying to make was that NO WAY does he bench Danger to start Azura UNLESS Danger is injured, or she reverts back to her high school or early freshman year performance as the floor general.

He simply does not bench Crystal because Stevens is "just too good" to not start her. The other main reason I pointed out is because starting Z and benching CD forces every other play to play differently in a way they are not comfortable with. That's just my opinion. So to answer your 2nd question, since I do not believe Azura ever starts this season (barring injury), I do not think she will be an AA candidate. I DO think she will be 6th player of the year.

Now of course, Geno could throw all this out the window. He's rarely had a team this talented or deep. A lot depends on how fast the freshmen progress. Who will REALLY get time in blowouts and who will get the 4 minutes at the end of games?

Reaction Score
Fair enough and it may be splitting hairs, but the point I was trying to make was that NO WAY does he bench Danger to start Azura UNLESS Danger is injured, or she reverts back to her high school or early freshman year performance as the floor general.

He simply does not bench Crystal because Stevens is "just too good" to not start her. The other main reason I pointed out is because starting Z and benching CD forces every other play to play differently in a way they are not comfortable with. That's just my opinion. So to answer your 2nd question, since I do not believe Azura ever starts this season (barring injury), I do not think she will be an AA candidate. I DO think she will be 6th player of the year.

Now of course, Geno could throw all this out the window. He's rarely had a team this talented or deep. A lot depends on how fast the freshmen progress. Who will REALLY get time in blowouts and who will get the 4 minutes at the end of games?

We can agree to disagree. To me - the below question is appropriate. And as Geno says - and I think we agree- the new players including - Z- especially Z- will be really really really good. By season's end the core 4 are capable of being comfortable in slight adjusted roles. Thy are not robots only designed for one task. They are mostly all-americans and extremely versatile. The question below still knaws at me. I think she will be too good to be on the bench to start the games. With have arguably your best player on the bench allowing the other team a better chance to dictate pace and game play and give them confidence early? Your overall best player (she might be) should not sit to start a game after said player gets acclimated enough and is healthy enough and not being disciplined.

Maybe Kia will be awful as a pg -- though I don't understand why she can be a pf for Canada a few years ago but can't be a pg in college.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree. To me - the below question is appropriate. And as Geno says - and I think we agree- the new players including - Z- especially Z- will be really really really good. By season's end the core 4 are capable of being comfortable in slight adjusted roles. Thy are not robots only designed for one task. They are mostly all-americans and extremely versatile. The question below still knaws at me. I think she will be too good to be on the bench to start the games. With have arguably your best player on the bench allowing the other team a better chance to dictate pace and game play and give them confidence early? Your overall best player (she might be) should not sit to start a game after said player gets acclimated enough and is healthy enough and not being disciplined.

Maybe Kia will be awful as a pg -- though I don't understand why she can be a pf for Canada a few years ago but can't be a pg in college.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. We will see as the season progresses if Geno opts, like you suggest, to bench Crystal to start Azura.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Agree to disagree. We will see as the season progresses if Geno opts, like you suggest, to bench Crystal to start Azura.

"Bench" is too harsh of a word. We have a super 6. AZ will just be too good to sit.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. Crystal and Z are not interchangeable. To me it's not a "Crystal vs Z issue. Either you start Crystal at PG or you start someone else at PG. either you start Z at the 4/5 or you start someone else at the 4/5. If you start someone else besides Z, you retain the continuity from last year (+), but you also retain playing Gabby out of position because you don't have a tall post player (-).

Someone suggested a "Crystal" team (comfortable now) and a "Z" team (will take a while to get comfortable). I see it as a "Z" team (with Crystal as starting point), and a "Not Z" team (with Crystal as starting point). The "Not Z" team is more comfortable now, but the "Z" team will become more and more deadly as they get more comfortable with it. These two looks will be so different it will absolutely devastate opponents when we go back & forth.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. Crystal and Z are not interchangeable. To me it's not a "Crystal vs Z issue. Either you start Crystal at PG or you start someone else at PG. either you start Z at the 4/5 or you start someone else at the 4/5. If you start someone else besides Z, you retain the continuity from last year (+), but you also retain playing Gabby out of position because you don't have a tall post player (-).

Someone suggested a "Crystal" team (comfortable now) and a "Z" team (will take a while to get comfortable). I see it as a "Z" team (with Crystal as starting point), and a "Not Z" team (with Crystal as starting point). The "Not Z" team is more comfortable now, but the "Z" team will become more and more deadly as they get more comfortable with it. These two looks will be so different it will absolutely devastate opponents when we go back & forth.

Agreed. If Z were to ever start, the most logical replacement would be an already excellent starting guard-forward - either Williams or Collier. Knowing Geno, he's just very unlikely to make that sub voluntarily - one of them would need to be in a long slump at the same time that Stevens was playing as good as Stewie.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don’t think Geno would demote any of the Core 4. Three of them are All-Americans, and Kia is a 4-year starter and Olympian. Then, the question becomes: Who is the 5th starter? Based on one game, it appears to be Crystal. She had 7 assists and should have had 10, if not for missed layups.

Azura is really, really good, but I don’t think she cracks the veteran starting lineup. Despite that, she will compete for AA status. I don’t know if she will compete for POY status, as I see Lou, Gabby, and Pheesa ahead of her.

As noted by many, we have 6 very capable players of starter quality. But there are only 5 starting slots. My opinion is that Z will earn a starting slot if she sticks around for next season, replacing Gabby.

The reality is that players will miss time due to concussion, flu, sprained thumb, tweaked ankle, etc. That will force/allow Geno to modify the starting lineup. If the new lineup works very well, he MAY stick with it.

I honestly think that we’ll have 6 players at about 25-28 mph. The numbers may be off a little, but I think the Big Six get comparable numbers of minutes.

Reaction Score

It's because of this probable great team can be so versatile.

Offensively
PG-- What if you think Kia Nurse can play pg? I posted before that I don't understand why she can't. She played for Team Canada and played pg at one time. I'm not arguing. But if she did play pg for Team Canada, why can't she be a part-time pg for UCONN?

SG-- If KML was able to play some sg, then what is it that KML could do that the jr Katie Lou has no chance to do?

SF -- Small forward is a misnomer. But you can interchange with ball movement both Collier and AZ at the sf and at center. When UCONN had Tuck and Stewie they would also play either Stokes or Gabby inside. SO either Stewie or Tuck would play on the outside. You don't see any issues of Collier or AZ able to play sf if for example Tuck was able to play sf, do you? Both can handle and shoot.

Pf-- Gabby. 'Nuff Said.

C--- AZ or Collier. Either can play it.

What is it that you don't see with this lineup?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think Geno would demote any of the Core 4. Three of them are All-Americans, and Kia is a 4-year starter and Olympian. Then, the question becomes: Who is the 5th starter? Based on one game, it appears to be Crystal. She had 7 assists and should have had 10, if not for missed layups.

Azura is really, really good, but I don’t think she cracks the veteran starting lineup. Despite that, she will compete for AA status. I don’t know if she will compete for POY status, as I see Lou, Gabby, and Pheesa ahead of her.

As noted by many, we have 6 very capable players of starter quality. But there are only 5 starting slots. My opinion is that Z will earn a starting slot if she sticks around for next season, replacing Gabby.

The reality is that players will miss time due to concussion, flu, sprained thumb, tweaked ankle, etc. That will force/allow Geno to modify the starting lineup. If the new lineup works very well, he MAY stick with it.

I honestly think that we’ll have 6 players at about 25-28 mph. The numbers may be off a little, but I think the Big Six get comparable numbers of minutes.

Suppose she winds up ahead of at least two of the 3- Lou, Gabby or Pheesa? Or is it no possibility that that could happen? Suppose her play is evident that she is better than at least 2 of the 3?

Reaction Score
Twice in the history of women’s basketball have 5 players on one team in the same year been named by the AP as at least an HM. Those were the UConn teams of 2002 and 2014. Then remember 2012? Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis didn’t start but was still named an AP HM. If all 6 are as good as advertised, then maybe all 6 will at least get an HM nod and UConn will break its own record...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Suppose she winds up ahead of at least two of the 3- Lou, Gabby or Pheesa? Or is it no possibility that that could happen? Suppose her play is evident that she is better than at least 2 of the 3?
If Z outplays Lou, Gabby, and Pheesa, she gets AA consideration and NPOY consideration, whether she starts or not. Of course, some voters would diss her if she is a non-starter. My guess is that Z adds several dimensions to our offense, but I don’t see her outplaying Lou, Gabby, and Pheesa. I expect all 4 to be roughly equal.

Reaction Score
Twice in the history of women’s basketball have 5 players on one team in the same year been named by the AP as at least an HM. Those were the UConn teams of 2002 and 2014. Then remember 2012? Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis didn’t start but was still named an AP HM. If all 6 are as good as advertised, then maybe all 6 will at least get an HM nod and UConn will break its own record...

I expect all 6 to get at least HM.

Reaction Score
If Z outplays Lou, Gabby, and Pheesa, she gets AA consideration and NPOY consideration, whether she starts or not. Of course, some voters would diss her if she is a non-starter. My guess is that Z adds several dimensions to our offense, but I don’t see her outplaying Lou, Gabby, and Pheesa. I expect all 4 to be roughly equal.

You had said on another thread if you need a basket you want Z in at the end. Who are you benching? And on defense, the last play, would you want her in there for her defense? Her ability to rebound and block shots? She is quick enough to contest shots from outside the paint unlike slower centers too, right? At a point if you want her in for offense and her defense on the last plays, then how is she isn't among the best couple of players?

Anyhow, I was just making a point. I think AZ will emerge as one of the 2 best players. If she is, you can understand that keeping your best or 2nd best player on the bench to start a game rather than "grab the opposing team with your best" from the outset is a bit odd, right? Maybe she'll be "Kevin McHale" 6th man. But once Kevin was among top ten int he league, he started I think.

I do think- maybe Kia can't be a pg though I still don't understand why. And I also think it is possible that no team comes that close to UCONN for Geno to ever think of reconsidering moving players. For example that Stanford game from years ago in which Stokes and Chong started. Stanford "forced" Geno to rethink. Or eventually Notre Dame's quickness and the losing to ND "forced" Geno to not start Doty.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You had said on another thread if you need a basket you want Z in at the end. Who are you benching? And on defense, the last play, would you want her in there for her defense? Her ability to rebound and block shots? She is quick enough to contest shots from outside the paint unlike slower centers too, right? At a point if you want her in for offense and her defense on the last plays, then how is she isn't among the best couple of players?

Anyhow, I was just making a point. I think AZ will emerge as one of the 2 best players. If she is, you can understand that keeping your best or 2nd best player on the bench to start a game rather than "grab the opposing team with your best" from the outset is a bit odd, right? Maybe she'll be "Kevin McHale" 6th man. But once Kevin was among top ten int he league, he started I think.

I do think- maybe Kia can't be a pg though I still don't understand why. And I also think it is possible that no team comes that close to UCONN for Geno to ever think of reconsidering moving players. For example that Stanford game from years ago in which Stokes and Chong started. Stanford "forced" Geno to rethink. Or eventually Notre Dame's quickness and the losing to ND "forced" Geno to not start Doty.
On offense at the end, I probably substitute Z for Gabby. On the defensive end, I sub Z for Crystal.

Maybe Z will be our best player or our second best. We’ll see.

Even if she’s our best, Geno risks affecting team chemistry or morale by starting Azura, a relative newbie. I just don’t think he does it unless someone is slumping noticeably.

You or someone said it was “absurd” to claim that Maya Moore as a freshman was better than Azura will be this year. I stand by that statement, as of now. If Z is better than that and the Core 4 are up to last year’s standards, no one should come within 20 points of us.

Reaction Score
It's because of this probable great team can be so versatile.

Offensively
PG-- What if you think Kia Nurse can play pg? I posted before that I don't understand why she can't. She played for Team Canada and played pg at one time. I'm not arguing. But if she did play pg for Team Canada, why can't she be a part-time pg for UCONN?

SG-- If KML was able to play some sg, then what is it that KML could do that the jr Katie Lou has no chance to do?

SF -- Small forward is a misnomer. But you can interchange with ball movement both Collier and AZ at the sf and at center. When UCONN had Tuck and Stewie they would also play either Stokes or Gabby inside. SO either Stewie or Tuck would play on the outside. You don't see any issues of Collier or AZ able to play sf if for example Tuck was able to play sf, do you? Both can handle and shoot.

Pf-- Gabby. 'Nuff Said.

C--- AZ or Collier. Either can play it.

What is it that you don't see with this lineup?
What I don't see is why play Kia at PG and make veryone else slide over? Just develop another true PG to sub for Crystal, and have Z sub for Pheesa, Gabby and Lou - for p25 minutes a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom