Adamec: Stevens impresses in Huskies exhibition opener | The Boneyard

Adamec: Stevens impresses in Huskies exhibition opener

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carl has some interesting quotes from Geno and Azura.

Geno on starting CD instead of Azura:

"We tried it in Italy and it was uncomfortable," Auriemma said. "That's why sliding Crystal in there is so easy so you don't change the other four from where they're comfortable being. Then when Azura comes in the game that changes the dynamic. People are moved around and that's not a bad thing. We've made some changes offensively that have made us more comfortable. By the end of the season it's going to look really, really good. Just in the beginning it won't be that easy."

Azura on not starting:

"It doesn't matter who starts the game but it's what you bring once you get into the game," Stevens said. "You can't get caught up in that and it's not an issue for me. I played 40 minutes a game at Duke for two years and I still wasn't happy there. Just being able to play here is fun whether I start or not."

Stevens impresses in Huskies exhibition opener

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Love everything about Z. Great teammate, going to be an incredible player.

Geno's comments really offer some insight into why you really need a PG on the floor, not a SG running the point. With Crystal in running the team, you don't change what the other 4 are comfortable, AND, really good at doing.

Lots of people disagreed with Geno when we were debating the "who will start" topic. Z was "too talented". Kia can run the point and slide Lou over to be SG. Etc etc. Based on those new comments by Geno, I really don't believe Z will "eventually" move into the starting lineup at all during this season.

It also begs the question - who does Geno bring in if Danger gets into foul trouble, or he decides to take her out early? Will be interesting to see what he decides to do should that ever arise...

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
What a difference a Coach and Coaching staff makes. Azura was good under her former Coach, but under Geno and C.D., she is going to be marvelous. I hope UConn can keep her 2 years, because I am excited to see how the transformation finally turn out. Another chess piece for Geno, along with Batouly.

Reaction Score

Geno's comments really offer some insight into why you really need a PG on the floor, not a SG running the point. With Crystal in running the team, you don't change what the other 4 are comfortable, AND, really good at doing.

Lots of people disagreed with Geno when we were debating the "who will start" topic. Z was "too talented". Kia can run the point and slide Lou over to be SG. Etc etc. Based on those new comments by Geno, I really don't believe Z will "eventually" move into the starting lineup at all during this season.

It also begs the question - who does Geno bring in if Danger gets into foul trouble, or he decides to take her out early? Will be interesting to see what he decides to do should that ever arise...
I have to admit that I was one of those guys who said "Z was "too talented". Kia can run the point and slide Lou over to be SG. Etc etc". I just assumed there would be a seamless transition to move everyone down one. That's why I watch the game from the stands and not wearing a suit sitting next to CD.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One other benefit of having Z come off the bench is that more often then not she will sub for Pheesa, Gabby or Lou. If Batouly gets healthy and also establishes herself as a solid player, that’s 10 additional fouls to give in the front court. If you add in MW as a F/W, the front court depth is exceptional. Compare that to last season when Nat was the only viable option off the bench up front, even though she was inconsistent.

UConn can be far more aggressive on defense and they will be better rested. They will still need a 3rd guard to go with Kia & Danger. Not sure if that ends up being Lou, Molly or Coombs.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have to admit that I was one of those guys who said "Z was "too talented". Kia can run the point and slide Lou over to be SG. Etc etc". I just assumed there would be a seamless transition to move everyone down one. That's why I watch the game from the stands and not wearing a suit sitting next to CD.

Ironic you go by "coach". :rolleyes:

Actually, from what I read, this was not a solution he arrived at on pure theoretical grounds. He said he tried it the other way and it just did not fit correctly and some modifications are needed to the offense to facilitate the changes when she comes off the bench.

Guaranteed she will not average 16 minutes this season.

First World Problems. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Reaction Score
Here is my impressions from last night. Azura is everything that was advertised and....she is learning defense..i.e. she is another Stewie in the making if not already. All the freshmen impressed to varying degrees. Meg couldn't hit the backside of a barn, but in all other phases she was excellent. The court vision she displayed can only mean that she will be a superstar down the road. Mikayla was steady and Espinosa-Hunter got a lot of minutes and was poised throughout. Did not see much of Lexi, but her move to the basket was excellent. Kyla and Molly were confident looking and in great shape, but didn't see much offense from them except Kyla's short jumper in traffic.

You really don't need to say much about the core four....they are the heart of the team and will give us a season to remember.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I was an advocate of Z starting from the beginning. Now that Geno has enlightened us with his take on that subject, I've been converted. Crystal will probably be the starting pg until she graduates. You know she's going to improve and get better every year.

She gave us brief glimpses of things to come all season. She's going to be worth the price of admission by herself.

Who starts gave us something to debate all summer, but now we can put that query to rest. Now that the season has finally started, we'll have fresh fodder to chew on daily.

My hat is off to those of you that said Dangerous should start. You obviously were able to see something the rest of us could not.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
AND be one of 3 legit UCONN players on the short list for NPOY. It's also possible that Pheesa, Lou and Z would go 1-2-3 in the draft. Sound familiar?! ;)
I've been saying 1-2-3 in the draft for a year. I'm not sure who is #1. Z certainly has size, but Pheesa does everything and Lou is becoming the key offensive player. I think there are no wrong picks among them.

Reaction Score

What did you make of the following?

"By the end of the season it's going to look really, really good. Just in the beginning it won't be that easy."

If they didn't change right now with Danger starting, what do you make of "it won't be that easy?" He has 4 of the same starters at this moment, right? The 5th starter, a pg, made it easy, right? What do you think he is referring to that in the beginning it won't be that easy but by the end it is going to be really, really good? What do you think he is referring to?

I do think Z will be starting by the end. She is "too good." Nothing has changed that. But we do have a super 6, don't we? And I expect Walker and Boutaly to be good. Just two years ago there was a debate who'd start Gabby, or Lou or Collier. Who was "right" at the beginning was a lot different than who was "right" at the end. However in the end it doesn't matter. Our UCONN team -- six of them - are elite. And I think we all believe we're going to have a few more that are going to be really, really good.

Reaction Score

"By the end of the season it's going to look really, really good. Just in the beginning it won't be that easy."

If they didn't change right now with Danger starting, what do you make of "it won't be that easy?" He has 4 of the same starters at this moment, right? The 5th starter, a pg, made it easy, right? What do you think he is referring to that in the beginning it won't be that easy but by the end it is going to be really, really good? What do you think he is referring to?

I do think Z will be starting by the end. She is "too good." Nothing has changed that. But we do have a super 6, don't we? And I expect Walker and Boutaly to be good. Just two years ago there was a debate who'd start Gabby, or Lou or Collier. Who was "right" at the beginning was a lot different than who was "right" at the end. However in the end it doesn't matter. Our UCONN team -- six of them - are elite. And I think we all believe we're going to have a few more that are going to be really, really good.
I think he means what he means every year that in the beginning things will look ragged and bog down at times as subs come in that have never played in a UConn game before. Usually by December things start to solidify and the well oiled machine regains its optimal lubrication!

Reaction Score
I've been saying 1-2-3 in the draft for a year. I'm not sure who is #1. Z certainly has size, but Pheesa does everything and Lou is becoming the key offensive player. I think there are no wrong picks among them.
Really hope they all stay 2 more years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I think Geno says what he means in the two prior sentences, let's call it the @meyers7 theory because he posted something similar a while back. By starting Crystal you start the game with everyone in the position they are "most comfortable" in. Gabby AA @5, Kia-Sg , KLS AA @3, Pheesa AA @4 and Crystal @1. No matter how well or poorly things are going now you bring in Azura and everyone else is energized on your team because they have a new challenge of playing a different position and the other team is demoralized and thinking "now what do we do?

Reaction Score
I think he means what he means every year that in the beginning things will look ragged and bog down at times as subs come in that have never played in a UConn game before. Usually by December things start to solidify and the well oiled machine regains its optimal lubrication!

But he is talking of comfort with Danger, isn't he?

Reaction Score
I think Geno says what he means in the two prior sentences, let's call it the @meyers7 theory because he posted something similar a while back. By starting Crystal you start the game with everyone in the position they are "most comfortable" in. Gabby AA @5, Kia-Sg , KLS AA @3, Pheesa AA @4 and Crystal @1. No matter how well or poorly things are going now you bring in Azura and everyone else is energized on your team because they have a new challenge of playing a different position and the other team is demoralized and thinking "now what do we do?

Okay. Got a couple of questions. There is no right or wrong. Just curious.

Do you think they will get very, very, very comfortable by the end of the year as they work through their "new challenge?"

How many players do you think will get 1st team a/a for UCONN this year? By 1st team I mean top ten. Not the top 5.

Can you foresee AZ being the best or 2nd best player on this team this year?

Reaction Score
I resemble that remark.

Reaction Score
No, he says: you don't change the other four from where they're comfortable being.
That's the main point. With Z, Kia moves from 2 to 1, Lou from 3 to 2, and Z fits in somewhere (the 5?--sort of...) making Gabby and Pheesa move accordingly--unless Z is a 3. The mind spins

Geno is saying is that RIGHT NOW it takes them out of their comfort zone. Clearly, what Geno is doing is bringing Z in after the game has some rhythm in hopes that the rest of them can make those moves. Game-by-game, they will get more used to it. So, the "Z team" will gradually share time and be a real alternative to the "Crystal team."

Reaction Score
No, he says: you don't change the other four from where they're comfortable being.

Then why is he talking about the challenge of the end of the season? The 4 players are already comfortable, aren't they? And isn't Danger comfortable? He is going to challenge his players, isn't he? He is going to challenge them how exactly? He said the following:

By the end of the season it's going to look really, really good. Just in the beginning it won't be that easy."

He specifically made the following teh below comment as to how easy it is to put Danger in as the starting pg.

That's why sliding Crystal in there is so easy

So what is the specific challenge that is going to make them as Geno puts it--- "really, really good?" The starting four along with the ease of putting Danger as the starting pg - how isn't that "easy?" Geno said "in the beginning it won't be that easy." But with the 4 starters and Danger "it is easy" early, isn't it?

Reaction Score

So if Z starts, who doesn’t? Geno is raving about how much better Crystal Dangerfield is as a PG than Kiah. Does Kiah become the non-starter?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom