Adamec: Stevens impresses in Huskies exhibition opener | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Adamec: Stevens impresses in Huskies exhibition opener

Reaction Score
On offense at the end, I probably substitute Z for Gabby. On the defensive end, I sub Z for Crystal.

Maybe Z will be our best player or our second best. We’ll see.

Even if she’s our best, Geno risks affecting team chemistry or morale by starting Azura, a relative newbie. I just don’t think he does it unless someone is slumping noticeably.

You or someone said it was “absurd” to claim that Maya Moore as a freshman was better than Azura will be this year. I stand by that statement, as of now. If Z is better than that and the Core 4 are up to last year’s standards, no one should come within 20 points of us.

1--- Wasn't me about Maya. I don't think when you posted that - I don't remember it-- and I don't think I'd have thought it relevant to send a reply post. If I did let me know but I don't think so. I don't know what the significance is of Maya as a frosh vs AZ. So I don't understand your point?

2--- Further, I don't understand your points about subbing for example "Z" for Gabby." Why can't Gabby guard for example the girl from Ohio State while Z is guarding Ohio State's center? Gabby is probably the best suited to defend her, isn't she?

3--- Also-- I don't agree at all with your point on morale. THIS IS GENO"S TEAM. ALWAYS WILL BE. IMO not even close to believe there will be ANY "morale" issues as to who starts between the super 6.

4--- In terms of chemistry. I think Geno addressed this. Right now it was "easy" as he put it to put Danger as the starter. Maybe the whole year it will remain "easy" enough to keep her there. But as he said the team as "uncomfortable" as it is now, it will become really really good later. I can't imagine a team getting AZ with Geno's ability to coach won't have improved enough to be really really good and completely incorporating AZ's skills. And imo anyone who thinks AZ will be an all-american, it should certainly follow AZ fit in beautifully to the team chemistry. You don't get to be all-american on a UCONN team by not working well in a team concept.

5--- regarding "should be" winning by 20 - UCONN was favored by 21 points in the Miss Game. Secondly, Geno doesn't care about margin of victory. If he is ahead by 30 with 3-4 minutes left nto all of his super players might not be in. If up by 25 with 2 minutes left etc. Third- these are "20 year old kids." They aren't pros. They can feel pressure a lot more than a pro. What "should" happen with 20 year olds is not as clear cut as just "more talent" so UCONN "will" blowout everyone. SPorts has shown us (Miracle on Ice:)) that what "should vs did" can be completely different.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If you start someone else besides Z, you retain the continuity from last year (+), but you also retain playing Gabby out of position because you don't have a tall post player (-).
I'm glad you have made this point. It seems to have been missing from these starter discussions. I fully expected Gabby, aka Wonder Woman, to have an adjustment to her role. Specifically, I expected her not to be guarding the other team's post so much. It seems to me that her talents better serve the team as a perimeter defender.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Possible he'll do the matchup thing but how often have you ever heard Geno to be making moves with starters for matching up to another team rather than having the team match up to him? So what you're saying is even though this is one of Geno's most talented teams ever, he is going to go away from a philosophy of that he has coached during his entire career of his preference of not to match up to the opponent from game to game rather than forcing the opponent to match up to his extremely extremely extremely talented team?
One of the best qualities about Geno is his ability to make minor adjustments within a game, if that meant for Instance, Kiah Stokes received more playing time because she was more effective than a starter in a given situation he typically has no problem with keeping her in etc. I really don't think Geno will be uncomfortable changing his line up with the interchangeable parts he have this year, only time will tell, We do know however, If anyone is not giving the effort in practice, that person might not see the court come game time, this year he has options that he will not be afraid to use, he has already pretty much said that.

Secondly, do you think that Danger's game would change if she came off the bench? You don't think she still is MoJeff's replacement because she'd come off the bench? How does her game change if she came off the bench vs start while it diminishes her from being MOJeff's replacement?
Crystal game may or may not change, but the Chemistry of the team most certainly can, with that said coming off the bench could actually have a negative impact on Crystal from a confidence standpoint, as the only true point gaurd on the team one expects the extension of the coach to be on the court at the start of every game. that is the role of the point gaurd to control the flow of the game. Did Mo Jeff come off the bench?

Third- do you think by season's end AZ will be in POY discussion and be a 1st team a/a?
It is very possible, but it is still very early and we are yet to see what defenses will do with reference to Z or any of the other players on the team who are all quite capable of earning the distinct award.. Napheesa however has the head start and would have to struggle quite a bit for others to knock her off. There is nothing on the court that Z can do that Napheesa can't do just as well or even better. Z is just 4" taller, thats about it. they both can shoot form outside, They both can dominate in the post, they both can Block shots and rebound, they are both agile and athletic. but so far only one is known for being consistent.. :)

Reaction Score
I can't read everything tonight. But just one point. Yes MoJeff did come off the bench. And if a player was so weak and couldn't take coming off the bench without putting and going into a funk, I seriously doubt she would play long for Geno. HE had Stewie reduced to tears during her frosh year, yet you really believe just because Danger is a pg, he won't bench her OR just put in a better player while she would then come off the bench?

You really think pg's can't come in off the bench or Danger will shrink like a flower if she comes off the bench or that Geno's expectation of Danger is that he must start her because he doesn't want to hurt her feelings/hurt her confidence? Since when does Geno care in November if he is going to hurt a player's "confidence?

Players come to UCONN with a certain knowledge that Geno will be tough on them. And I'm pretty sure Danger has also said that. Yet because she plays a position, Geno doesn't dare to to have her come off the bench? Danger has AMAZING TALENT. If she is going to shrink like a flower because she doesn't start, she doesn't deserve to be getting minutes. That is always the impression I get from Geno.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Let Gabby play the 2, 3, 4 and 5 to show the WNBA how versatile she is.

There isn't a WNBA General Manager who doesn't have Gabby's picture at or near the top of their draft board already.

She doesn't need to "audition" this year, she just needs to play her usual game and stay healthy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1--- Wasn't me about Maya. I don't think when you posted that - I don't remember it-- and I don't think I'd have thought it relevant to send a reply post. If I did let me know but I don't think so. I don't know what the significance is of Maya as a frosh vs AZ. So I don't understand your point?

2--- Further, I don't understand your points about subbing for example "Z" for Gabby." Why can't Gabby guard for example the girl from Ohio State while Z is guarding Ohio State's center? Gabby is probably the best suited to defend her, isn't she?

3--- Also-- I don't agree at all with your point on morale. THIS IS GENO"S TEAM. ALWAYS WILL BE. IMO not even close to believe there will be ANY "morale" issues as to who starts between the super 6.

4--- In terms of chemistry. I think Geno addressed this. Right now it was "easy" as he put it to put Danger as the starter. Maybe the whole year it will remain "easy" enough to keep her there. But as he said the team as "uncomfortable" as it is now, it will become really really good later. I can't imagine a team getting AZ with Geno's ability to coach won't have improved enough to be really really good and completely incorporating AZ's skills. And imo anyone who thinks AZ will be an all-american, it should certainly follow AZ fit in beautifully to the team chemistry. You don't get to be all-american on a UCONN team by not working well in a team concept.

5--- regarding "should be" winning by 20 - UCONN was favored by 21 points in the Miss Game. Secondly, Geno doesn't care about margin of victory. If he is ahead by 30 with 3-4 minutes left nto all of his super players might not be in. If up by 25 with 2 minutes left etc. Third- these are "20 year old kids." They aren't pros. They can feel pressure a lot more than a pro. What "should" happen with 20 year olds is not as clear cut as just "more talent" so UCONN "will" blowout everyone. SPorts has shown us (Miracle on Ice:)) that what "should vs did" can be completely different.
I'm busy today. I'll get back to you sometime after tomorrow's game. On point #1, what I said was that Maya didn't start as a freshman until we were beset with injuries (I think she replaced Kalana). My opinion is that, if Maya can come off the bench, ANYONE--including Azura--can come off the bench.

Reaction Score
I'm busy today. I'll get back to you sometime after tomorrow's game. On point #1, what I said was that Maya didn't start as a freshman until we were beset with injuries (I think she replaced Kalana). My opinion is that, if Maya can come off the bench, ANYONE--including Azura--can come off the bench.

Geno has shown that he will make moves during the season. He's changed lineups with Charde and Tina Charles. Tina Charles in her sophomore year was 3rd team all-american (also was named to the all-tournament Big East team - so she was playing well) and then he changed up the lineup before the when NCAA tourney started? So I'll counter your argument that if Tina Charles can be replaced, so can Danger. That's hwy I said before imo the Maya example is irrelevant, I have no reason to believe that if the injuries didn't come he would have easily replaced someone - like Charde. Maya was too good to sit on the bench as the game started for long.

Reaction Score

(1) One of the best qualities about Geno is his ability to make minor adjustments within a game,

Your reply skirts over what I said. You said the following before the point you made in bold:

(2) Z will probably start at some point throughout this season, but that may be more likely to do with matching up against a specific team,

And now you’re replying about adjustments within the game. My point of disagreement with your prior post (above 2) was specifically addressing starters. Not the point you made made above (above 1) in bold regarding adjustments.

And your reply to my post about if you think AZ can best and be a POY candidate along with being best on the team your reply in bold was the following--

It is very possible, but it is still very early and we are yet to see what defenses will do with reference to Z or any of the other players on the team who are all quite capable of earning the distinct award.

But that was point! The fact you are acknowledging “it is very possible” means you think she can be the best. Or at least what I mentioned the 2nd best. If you are 2nd best on THIS team, you are in the running for POY, aren’t you?

So my point has been she is going to be too good. So it’s possible we’ll have the 2nd or 3rd best player in wcbb, and I’m sure we all understand how important it is to start off games well (as we experienced vs Miss State last year), - coming off the bench – allowing an opposing team more confidence and a better foothold in the game isn't a good thing, is it? When all you have to do instead is have Danger come off the bench vs using potentially the 2nd, or 3rd best wcbb player? Isn't it possible that playign the better player might be a better solution at some point in the future?

Instead, you made the flowing point in bold. With what happened to UCONN last year and the possibility that AZ can be the best player or 2nd best player on this amazingly stacked team – you are seriously saying in the manner you say it in bold—that you can’t understand an alternate pov and instead have Danger come off the bench?

“for the life of me don't know why anyone thought this would play out any differently.”

When Geno has had a bench he has benched Stewie and Tuck. He benched Tina Charles even when she was playing well to start the NCAA. Tina came off the bench. SO are you saying that Danger isn’t mentally tough enough to handle playing over 20 minutes for this UCONN team coming off the bench?
Yet you don't even want to LISTEN to an alternate pov? Danger came in in your view to start and no matter what we have -- she starts and that's it?

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There isn't a WNBA General Manager who doesn't have Gabby's picture at or near the top of their draft board already.

She doesn't need to "audition" this year, she just needs to play her usual game and stay healthy.

Amen to that!!! :)

Reaction Score
  1. Kenny Kallina‏ @KennyKallina Nov 3

How do you go from ACC Player of the Year to not starting? Azura Stevens beginning games on the bench is a bad sign for UConn

Charliebball- - - -Kenny Kallina by his previous statements has shown himself to be lost in space most of the time! Geno and his staff will know what is best for this team as they have for all the teams previously!
I said that Azura would start and Crystal Dangerfield would be the 1st G off the bench because Geno has previously stated he likes a player, a G, to come off the bench to change the speed/pace of the game and Crystal Dangerfield fits that job description to a T!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
  1. Kenny Kallina‏ @KennyKallina Nov 3
    How do you go from ACC Player of the Year to not starting? Azura Stevens beginning games on the bench is a bad sign for UConn
The bold is a joke, right? Did you forget to include the sarcasm button? It has to be a joke.
The second part might be an attempt at a joke by @kennykallina the first part is a bold face error (lie??). Azura Stevens was not the ACC player of the year.
Here is the ACC POY giving you the side eye:
hqdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
On offense at the end, I probably substitute Z for Gabby. On the defensive end, I sub Z for Crystal.

Maybe Z will be our best player or our second best. We’ll see.

Even if she’s our best, Geno risks affecting team chemistry or morale by starting Azura, a relative newbie. I just don’t think he does it unless someone is slumping noticeably.

You or someone said it was “absurd” to claim that Maya Moore as a freshman was better than Azura will be this year. I stand by that statement, as of now. If Z is better than that and the Core 4 are up to last year’s standards, no one should come within 20 points of us.
At the end you are just subbing Gabby and Crystal with AZ just staying in the game.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Kalina once again trolling for controversy when, in all honesty, he continues to prove that he’s a complete AH.
Is there some reason I should care what Kenny Kallina writes or thinks? Is there any reason I should believe he knows or understands more about UConn women's basketball than 80% of the people on this page? Frankly, I've never heard of the dude and while I respect his right to express his opinion, I question his credibility if he errs on a major fact such as the identity of the ACC Player of the Year.

And that's all the time I want to waste discussing him.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is there some reason I should care what Kenny Kallina writes or thinks? Is there any reason I should believe he knows or understands more about UConn women's basketball than 80% of the people on this page? Frankly, I've never heard of the dude and while I respect his right to express his opinion, I question his credibility if he errs on a major fact such as the identity of the ACC Player of the Year.
And that's all the time I want to waste discussing him.
For those that are keeping track this is @kennykallina second mistake of facts. In order to prove a northen bias in the USA basketball selection process he had Catch attending HS in New Jersey.

xxx_bko_tamika_catchings_489873.jpg

Catch in her Duncanville, TX BB Uniform circa 1996-97

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kenny K can't help himself.....

Kenny Kallina on Twitter

No matter how hard you try @kennykallina there will be no tension at UCONN.

As for not starting, Stevens shrugged.
“I tried not to think of it much, because it doesn’t really matter who starts the game,” Stevens said. “It’s kind of what you bring when you get into the game. Players can get caught up in that. That wasn’t really an issue for me. I started and played 40 minutes at Duke for two years and I still wasn’t happy there, so just being able to play here, even if I come off the bench, is fine either way.”

Reaction Score
No matter how hard you try @kennykallina there will be no tension at UCONN.

As for not starting, Stevens shrugged.
“I tried not to think of it much, because it doesn’t really matter who starts the game,” Stevens said. “It’s kind of what you bring when you get into the game. Players can get caught up in that. That wasn’t really an issue for me. I started and played 40 minutes at Duke for two years and I still wasn’t happy there, so just being able to play here, even if I come off the bench, is fine either way.”

Who is this clown?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom