Adama Sanogo Signs with Chicago | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Adama Sanogo Signs with Chicago

Reaction Score
He is such a hard worker, I think hecwill prove to be a steal. I think he and Jackson are better players than some picked ahead of them.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Good Lord. What’s better than a championship? I think this system you detest worked to perfection.

Bring in good players, develop said players, win with good players, send good players to the league. Repeat.

Also if you’re a “UConn fan” then our guys getting drafted early is a success for UConn. We don’t stop rooting for these guys once they leave campus. It’s a family and they’re huskies forever. The success they have after leaving campus is our success. The problem is you’re using winning Cbb games as your sole measurement of success and its narrow minded. If you’re a fan of these kids and the program then your support and excitement would extend far beyond what they did in Storrs, CT.
I agree with you but I think he’s talking about the year before with Bouknight.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I was an argumentative little POS as a teenager. My mother told me something I remember to this day: If EVERYONE is telling you that you're wrong, there's a good chance you need to shut up and look in the mirror.

Yes, UConn would win more games if no one declared for the draft. No duh. It's also good for the long-term health of the program if players are going to the next level and being successful.

The early departures happened 2 months ago and they were drafted 12 hours ago. We won't know the recruiting benefits for a while. Let's chat in November
It kind of depends on how you define health of the program. A bunch of people were pretty down on Hurley even after a few straight NCAA tournament early departures. They were in the tornanent after all. I remember a few Calhoun teams that made only the NIT and he had to chastise the fan base for not showing up to those tournament games Not arguing, just offering a thought that people do kind of care year by year as they judge the health of the team by what the results are on the floor. Looking forward to next year and hope the bew kids are great. .

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Good Lord. What’s better than a championship? I think this system you detest worked to perfection.

Bring in good players, develop said players, win with good players, send good players to the league. Repeat.

Also if you’re a “UConn fan” then our guys getting drafted early is a success for UConn. We don’t stop rooting for these guys once they leave campus. It’s a family and they’re huskies forever. The success they have after leaving campus is our success. The problem is you’re using winning Cbb games as your sole measurement of success and its narrow minded. If you’re a fan of these kids and the program then your support and excitement would extend far beyond what they did in Storrs, CT.
I said last year, not this year. Good lord. As in the year half the BY wanted to hang Hurley for the 1st round NCAA loss. Were you one of them? Who didn’t wish Bouknight well? But folks can’t have it both ways. Wishing a person well is not the same as thinking a team can do just as well without them.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Yikes, not even a second round pick.

Another year wouldn't have made a difference.
Why the negative spin? There was always a good chance he wouldn't get drafted. And he signed with a team within hours.

Reaction Score
Problem with the G league for centers is that it's a track fest with guards chucking up shots
Is it wrong that I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing for Sanogo? Maybe it doesn't fit his style right now, but if he wants to be a steady NBA player, he needs to continue adapting and improving on the skillsets that the NBA is looking for, so that will be a good test for him.

I don't know anything about the Bulls situation though. Do they need help down low or is he like their 5th option at this point?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The Office Love GIF

Reaction Score
Why the negative spin? There was always a good chance he wouldn't get drafted. And he signed with a team within hours.
Most projections had him around #50. He was the 10th or so best player on the board starting around pick #40.

The 2-way contract is fine, and I always expected him to end up in Europe anyway, but this was like a 20th percentile outcome for Sanogo.

Jackson was maybe 40th percentile. Hawkins like 80th percentile.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Chitown will soon know The Sanogo Way.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The players are the program. Having NBA players is the sign of a healthy program
Ok sport. So if UConn has an average year in the next year or two be sure to quote yourself and don’t complain. I stand by what I said. People typically judge a program by production on the floor, right? We have had a fair number of early departures followed by years when a whole lot of fans did not consider the program to be what they thought it should be. Including end of January this year. Which is pretty much believing the “program”isn’t up to snuff overall. Were you among them?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I said last year, not this year. Good lord. As in the year half the BY wanted to hang Hurley for the 1st round NCAA loss. Were you one of them? Who didn’t wish Bouknight well? But folks can’t have it both ways. Wishing a person well is not the same as thinking a team can do just as well without them.
It's not our choice to make. The transfer portal is the same. You won't see many 4 year/senior players that are actually good anymore. That's going to be rare. It's amazing we have Newton coming back.

Would we be better with Bouk? Probably, unless it meant Hawk wouldn't have committed. Better with Hawk next year? Of course, but none of the kids we are recruiting would have come.

The model now is that you recruit freshmen. As they develop they either (a) go pro (b) stay (c) transfer out or (d) lose eligibility. The portal and new freshmen are used to replace the kids that leave for the NBA or via the portal. We got three transfers last year, two freshmen. This year, just one transfer and 5 freshmen. Next year?

Reaction Score
Ok sport. So if UConn has an average year in the next year or two be sure to quote yourself and don’t complain. I stand by what I said. People typically judge a program by production on the floor, right? We have had a fair number of early departures followed by years when a whole lot of fans did not consider the program to be what they thought it should be. Including end of January this year. Which is pretty much believing the “program”isn’t up to snuff overall. Were you among them?
You must not be familiar with my track record. I got called out for being too positive. Use that angle on somebody else lmao

Reaction Score

What is the point that's being argued? That UConn would be better next year if Adama was on the roster? I think we can all stipulate to that and be done with this conversation.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Congrats Adama! Just checked Chicago’s G League roster and they have 5 guys that are 6’8 or higher. Adama has a tough road ahead of him, but he’s such a hard worker and now he has a chip on his shoulder. I will never doubt him, and have full confidence he will work his way into a successful basketball career

According to Bulls fans, none of those guys is standing in Adama's way.

He definitely has his work cut out for him, but he obviously chose the Bulls for a reason.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's not our choice to make. The transfer portal is the same. You won't see many 4 year/senior players that are actually good anymore. That's going to be rare. It's amazing we have Newton coming back.

Would we be better with Bouk? Probably, unless it meant Hawk wouldn't have committed. Better with Hawk next year? Of course, but none of the kids we are recruiting would have come.

The model now is that you recruit freshmen. As they develop they either (a) go pro (b) stay (c) transfer out or (d) lose eligibility. The portal and new freshmen are used to replace the kids that leave for the NBA or via the portal. We got three transfers last year, two freshmen. This year, just one transfer and 5 freshmen. Next year?
That is obviously the case. But people better accept the ups and downs that come with it. The portal maybe can minimize sone of that. John Wooden would have been hard pressed to repeat in this world. And, again the unknowable, maybe UConn wins it all last year with Bouknight even if Hawkins never came. He (Bouk) by the way, seems like a kid who could have benefited maturity wise by staying, who knows. But the money was there. That’s why from that perspective i think Khalid hurt himself financially by staying. He went early second round when i think he was likely a late 1st rounder when he was a hot item the year before. Also unprovable.

Reaction Score
That is obviously the case. But people better accept the ups and downs that come with it. The portal maybe can minimize sone of that. John Wooden would have been hard pressed to repeat in this world. And, again the unknowable, maybe UConn wins it all last year with Bouknight even if Hawkins never came. He (Bouk) by the way, seems like a kid who could have benefited maturity wise by staying, who knows. But the money was there. That’s why from that perspective i think Khalid hurt himself financially by staying. He went early second round when i think he was likely a late 1st rounder when he was a hot item the year before. Also unprovable.
That is why it was so important to lock up Hurley long term. He has proven to be successful in this new college environment of mixing and matching using the portal. It is even more about having a proven coach than having players who will stay in our system more than 1-2 years. Hurley knows he has to constantly reload in the changing environment of early departures, transfer portal and NIL to stay competitive.

Reaction Score
Is it wrong that I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing for Sanogo? Maybe it doesn't fit his style right now, but if he wants to be a steady NBA player, he needs to continue adapting and improving on the skillsets that the NBA is looking for, so that will be a good test for him.

I don't know anything about the Bulls situation though. Do they need help down low or is he like their 5th option at this point?
All 3 of DIck, Hawkins, and Howard going before the Lakers is tough.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What is the point that's being argued? That UConn would be better next year if Adama was on the roster? I think we can all stipulate to that and be done with this conversation.
Sigh. The point is that there is no debate that it is good for the player. But debatable about whether it is good for that particular college program. The only argument i’ve seen is that it makes recruiting high level recruits easier. And maybe it does. That does not equal having the kinds of seasons people want going forward (the program).

If a fan says a flow of talent leaving early for the pros makes them happy and happy for the program, then don’t be too down even if the program has some success (make the NCAA, perish the thought they don’t make it ) but often doesn’t advance far. I’m pretty sure by reading the BY, fans judge the program almost game by game regardless of the pro success of former players. At the end of January a big piece of the BY was ready to can Hurley. A few months later I haven’t read a lot if criticism about his new contract.

There is reason for good expectations for next year, but many unknowns. Fewer without the departures, but that is spilt milk. Let’s see how patient everyone is.

Reaction Score
Sigh. The point is that there is no debate that it is good for the player. But debatable about whether it is good for that particular college program. The only argument i’ve seen is that it makes recruiting high level recruits easier. And maybe it does. That does not equal having the kinds of seasons people want going forward (the program).

If a fan says a flow of talent leaving early for the pros makes them happy and happy for the program, then don’t be too down even if the program has some success (make the NCAA, perish the thought they don’t make it ) but often doesn’t advance far. I’m pretty sure by reading the BY, fans judge the program almost game by game regardless of the pro success of former players. At the end of January a big piece of the BY was ready to can Hurley. A few months later I haven’t read a lot if criticism about his new contract.

There is reason for good expectations for next year, but many unknowns. Fewer without the departures, but that is spilt milk. Let’s see how patient everyone is.
Damn it we were too good this past year.

Reaction Score

He definitely has his work cut out for him, but he obviously chose the Bulls for a reason.
Daniel Oturu is the only real center on the g league roster and he started with an NBA team and got sent down, so probably not going to be much competition if Sanogo is truly good enough. I mentioned in another post that their real NBA team has 2 decent options for now, but their backup Drummond is on last year of his contract.

Reaction Score

I don't think there is much debate that Sanogo leaving early and not being picked isn't great for the program, though if he does well on a 2 year contract it is very good, but that is just the changing landscape all coaches have to deal with now. I mean we did win a Championship with both him and Jackson. You know all teams have to deal with early departures(Who don't get drafted or go much lower than they thought) or people going into the Transfer Portal. It is just how it is nowadays but be happy we have Hurley in charge to navigate through these crazy times in College Basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Great to hear, I don’t know too much about their roster but I hope Sanogo rips everyone to shreds in the G League like he did last year!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Damn it we were too good this past year.
Hilarious. Let’s see your posts in late January or the end of the year last year. Yeah, I’m pissed we won the NC :confused:

Reaction Score
The NBA doesn’t really want skilled big men unless you can legit be one of the best scorers in the league.

Outside of that they just need them to rim run, block shots, rebound, and dunk. Keep it simple.
I mentioned it in another post, but Lively is a real head-scratcher. Drafted based on past hype, rather than college play. The team that picks him must think they can turn him into something and then claim they got the steal if the draft. When you're the top recruit in the country, you gotta be able to score more than 5 pts. per game in college. Shot blocking isn't worth the 12th pick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom