Adama Sanogo Signs with Chicago | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Adama Sanogo Signs with Chicago

Reaction Score
NBA big men don't lack skills that these three have. The skills these three have are not valued. in today's NBA.

Besides, Sanogo is undersized in terms of height, Tshiebwe can't shoot, and Timme is soft.
Sanogo is in that Eric Paschal tweener mold in size and current capability. He may stick around for some years, but yeah he will need to overhaul His game to be a meaningful NBA roster addition.

Reaction Score
Another dense reply. Show me where i knocked a kid for leaving. I didn’t. I said i din’t see ut as helping the program I root for. Some people salivate over kids leaving early on the theory it helps to recruit other studs. And maybe it does. But if those new studs leave before helping my team to do anything special, it is good for them
Probably, but you still haven’t said how it helps UConn. There are so many posts about Castle being a one and done as if that is good for anyone but him. Hey, great if he is good enough to make UConn really good. But a one and done especially doesn’t float my boat.
Because it's not all about UConn. These kids aren't pawns to move around to make our hopes and wishes come true. These are kids with dreams, and our coaches jobs are to help make those dreams come true. Last night that happened for 3 of them

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Possibly the Hurley-Donovan connection is why Adama is with the Bulls. I'm not going to doubt Adama. Unmatched work ethic. I think he'll find a way to stick in the league. Could he turn himself into a Paul Milsap kind of player?

Reaction Score
NBA big men don't lack skills that these three have. The skills these three have are not valued. in today's NBA.

Besides, Sanogo is undersized in terms of height, Tshiebwe can't shoot, and Timme is soft.
Best post of the thread. These three have huge deficiencies to overcome and it makes sense for an NBA team to prefer players without these deficiencies, as they're abundant in the best basketball league on the planet. We'll see if they're able to overcome them or if they're overstated, but on the whole NBA talent evaluators are pretty good.

Reaction Score
Best post of the thread. These three have huge deficiencies to overcome and it makes sense for an NBA team to prefer players without these deficiencies, as they're abundant in the best basketball league on the planet. We'll see if they're able to overcome them or if they're overstated, but on the whole NBA talent evaluators are pretty good.
One thing I'd do if I was Sanogo is get with a top speed and agility trainer to improve his vertical jump and speed off the ground. I've seen first hand what that kind of specialized training can do. Easily 6 inches of vertical jump improvement are possible. He plays a bit below the rim and the NBA is an above the rim league. If he's already done such training and maxed out, it is what it is.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Adama, he spent most of his time at UConn with his back to the basket, showcasing amazing footwork and post scoring moves. It wasn't until late last year that he flashed the face-up game the NBA requires of anybody under 7', and the ability to guard in space that modern bigs have to have. I am confident that Adama has and will further develop those skills and not drafting him will look like a mistake.
Yup, and man was he dominant and efficient doing it.

Him and Andre weren’t really used to their best abilities until late in their last year and when they were, it won us a championship.

Hopefully they continue to build on the momentum they had in summer league and it makes a way for them to be contributors on an NBA roster.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
But yet Jarace Walker and Derek Lively go 8 and 12 respectively. Lively was pretty awful the first half of the season. Was just ok by the end of the year.
The NBA doesn’t really want skilled big men unless you can legit be one of the best scorers in the league.

Outside of that they just need them to rim run, block shots, rebound, and dunk. Keep it simple.

Reaction Score
Obviously it is better, maybe i guess, from the players perspective and i hope they do well. If you are happy with UConn being an NBA feeder for kids who have eligibility left, fine, but Im a UConn fan first. Really good players leaving before they are fully matured doesnt help UConn the tear after they leave.
Of course as a UConn fan I would prefer that our stars stay through their complete eligibility, but I'm not losing sleep over guys who clearly accomplished as much as they were going to here and are ready to start their career, as limited as it may be.

Reaction Score
Unless you're a significantly below replacement level basketball coach (read: Calipari), you're going to be a good college team if you're producing NBA players. The more NBA players we produce, the more likely it is that we have had a good team.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Sanogo leaving was best for all parties involved. Him coming back does not mean another championship. Especially if you have to find a way to play him and DC together.

It went bad with Andre and AO, it didn’t work with Sanogo and Whaley, don’t think much would change with Clingan and Sanogo. This is the natural progression of a healthy program. I’m ready to watch Sanogo kill summer league and force a GM to give him a chance to play. Then force a coach to have to give him minutes. Until he’s a story of the hardworking unlikely NBA contributor.

Reaction Score
Okay genious. A little true story. One of my kids made a fortune in the entertainment business to where he retired in his early 40s to help raise his kids. I asked him very recently if his (expensive) college degree did anything for him given the skills he had before he set foot on csmpus. Meaning. I’m not convinced college is necessary for certain future occupations. I repeat, obviously it is great for these players to be able to leave early. But when it comes to winning or losing UConn games. if its not about UConn what program is it about? There are a crapload of fair weather fans who jump ship if the team is mediocre regardless of how well a former player does in the pros. I’m guessing you are on the BY because you care about the program regardless of who walks through the door to wear the unifirm.
You're entirely missing the point, which has been explained to you dozens of times now. I'm not even sure why I'm still bothering. Maybe if I type in capital letters you'll understand. NOBODY IS SAYING PLAYERS LEAVING EARLY HELPS UCONN. The only thing we're saying is that when you get good players they move on to the next level eventually. Despite what you want to believe, the world does not revolve around UConn basketball, and players have goals beyond making UConn basketball fans the happiest they can possibly be

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Of course as a UConn fan I would prefer that our stars stay through their complete eligibility, but I'm not losing sleep over guys who clearly accomplished as much as they were going to here and are ready to start their career, as limited as it may be.
And i never said they shouldn’t leave (even though some are not NBA ready). It’s their lives. My point is rather narrow. Let’s just say i think the team the next year is probably ahead of the game with them compared to without them usually regardless of who comes in the door. Obviously unknowable, but talented experience isn’t a minus.

Reaction Score
Worst case is Adama can make a ton of money playing in Europe. I do think the NBA is his dream and will give it a shot. Really surprised a team didn't grab him late in the 2nd round given what he did in the Tournament. He has skills

Reaction Score
And i never said they shouldn’t leave (even though some are not NBA ready). It’s their lives. My point is rather narrow. Let’s just say i think the team the next year is probably ahead of the game with them compared to without them usually regardless of who comes in the door. Obviously unknowable, but talented experience isn’t a minus.

You've narrowed your point so much (read: changing the goalpost) that it's basically meaningless. Good players would mean we win more... yes.

Reaction Score
As often happens here, this turned into some weird thought experiment that is not remotely tethered to reality.

It’s absolutely true that if Victor Wembanyama committed to UConn, I believe we would be a better basketball team in his senior season than if he declared for the draft after his junior year.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You're entirely missing the point, which has been explained to you dozens of times now. I'm not even sure why I'm still bothering. Maybe if I type in capital letters you'll understand. NOBODY IS SAYING PLAYERS LEAVING EARLY HELPS UCONN. The only thing we're saying is that when you get good players they move on to the next level eventually. Despite what you want to believe, the world does not revolve around UConn basketball, and players have goals beyond making UConn basketball fans the happiest they can possibly be
Who said the world revolves around UConn anything. Another comprehension challenged person. But my interest is in UConn and has zip to do with not understanding why kids leave early or not wishing them well. And there are in fact a whole lot of BYers who think kids leaving early is good for the program because they think it will produce better recruits (who will leave early) on the premise that all by itself it helps the program. Do you agree with them?

Reaction Score
If you can’t see how that is great for the kids but doesn’t do much to help UConn win games next year I don’t know what to tell you. Sure it reflects well on the program. But what really gets my psyched is winning games. It is quite possible none of the kids who left early this year would improve their game or draft situation by staying and Hawkins especially was probably risking too much by staying. Is UConn better without Hawkins next year? Heck , I think Khalid hurt himself by staying. That is not my point.
Dude. Huh?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You've narrowed your point so much (read: changing the goalpost) that it's basically meaningless.
Actually I didn’t. My point was always the same. You are as knowledgeable as any. Is UConn more or less likely better off next year than this based on who left early? How have early departures helped recruiting? The incoming supposedly great class all committed before we won the NC, and most after a year when half the BY wanted to fire Hurley for a few first round NCAA losses

Reaction Score
Who said the world revolves around UConn anything. Another comprehension challenged person. But my interest is in UConn and has zip to do with not understanding why kids leave early or not wishing them well. And there are in fact a whole lot of BYers who think kids leaving early is good for the program because they think it will produce better recruits (who will leave early) on the premise that all by itself it helps the program. Do you agree with them?
You've acted like the world revolves around UConn with all of your posts this morning that completely ignore the bigger picture. You can't comprehend players making a decision for any reason other than what gives UConn Men's Basketball the best chances at a championship next season

You've moved the goalposts so many times in this discussion, so I'm out.

Reaction Score
Pros don’t stay 4 years. If you want to continue to recruit the best players you need to show a track record of getting guys to the league. Bouk, Hawk, rese, and Ajax leaving early and getting drafted helps us recruit the best players. You need the best players to win championships. It’s not hard.

We may not get Hawk without Bouk being a lotto pick. Without Hawk there is no championship. So I could reason that Bouk being a lottery pick helped us win a championship. Ahmad Nowell was quoted saying that the way UConn gets their guys to the league is a big reason why he’s considering them. And he isn’t the only one.

Reaction Score
Actually I didn’t. My point was always the same. You are as knowledgeable as any. Is UConn more or less likely better off next year than this based on who left early? How have early departures helped recruiting? The incoming supposedly great class all committed before we won the NC, and most after a year when half the BY wanted to fire Hurley for a few first round NCAA losses

I was an argumentative little POS as a teenager. My mother told me something I remember to this day: If EVERYONE is telling you that you're wrong, there's a good chance you need to shut up and look in the mirror.

Yes, UConn would win more games if no one declared for the draft. No duh. It's also good for the long-term health of the program if players are going to the next level and being successful.

The early departures happened 2 months ago and they were drafted 12 hours ago. We won't know the recruiting benefits for a while. Let's chat in November

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Pros don’t stay 4 years. If you want to continue to recruit the best players you need to show a track record of getting guys to the league. Bouk, Hawk, rese, and Ajax leaving early and getting drafted helps us recruit the best players. You need the best players to win championships. It’s not hard.

We may not get Hawk without Bouk being a lotto pick. Without Hawk there is no championship. So I couldason that Bouk being a lottery pick helped us win a championship. Ahmad Nowell was quoted saying that the way UConn gets their guys to the league is a big reason why he’s considering them. And he isn’t the only one.
And i could argue that UConn would have been better last season with Bouknight, the year people wanted to hang Hurley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
And i could argue that UConn would have been better last season with Bouknight, the year people wanted to hang Hurkey.
Good Lord. What’s better than a championship? I think this system you detest worked to perfection.

Bring in good players, develop said players, win with good players, send good players to the league. Repeat.

Also if you’re a “UConn fan” then our guys getting drafted early is a success for UConn. We don’t stop rooting for these guys once they leave campus. It’s a family and they’re huskies forever. The success they have after leaving campus is our success. The problem is you’re using winning Cbb games as your sole measurement of success and its narrow minded. If you’re a fan of these kids and the program then your support and excitement would extend far beyond what they did in Storrs, CT.

How about showing some gratitude and saying thank you instead of demanding more. These kids brought you so much joy and entertainment and the only thing you can think about is how much more they can give you/us. They don’t owe us another got **** thing. They juggled being a college student and a high major D1 athlete in a small state where they were the target of criticism and sky high expectations. They were tasked with pulling this program that you love from out of the ashes. And what did they do? They freaking crushed it and won us a National freaking Championship. What more could you possibly want from them. Their first born?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom