Adama Sanogo Signs with Chicago | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adama Sanogo Signs with Chicago

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The love affair with contested three pointers and low percentage kamikaze drives shows how little NBA statistics "experts" understand conditional probability. The first team that figures out that 1-on1 low post basketball results in more efficient scoring than chucking wild 3 point attempts against defenses designed to defend those shots will pick up at least 5 wins in a year.

What about the three free throws you get if a defender is in your area code? That has to count for something

I thought the Nuggets worked the paint. And I think Mazzulla hurt the C's by focusing on 40 three pointers per game

I do believe Sanogo is going to find a home.

Reaction Score
Based on his track record, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sanogo absolutely eat in the G League, and that's what it's going to take for him to get NBA minutes. The biggest question mark for him will be proving he can consistently defend 5's at this level. If his defense can get him on the court, his offense will keep him there.

Happy to see him going somewhere with a UConn connection, hopefully Drummond can help with the adjustment a bit.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment and indicative of the evolution of college ball. You probably are right about him, the unprovable, but it probably wouldn’t have hurt UConn for him to stay another year. I’m not convinced having a bunch of guys leave early helps recruiting overall or that it’s good for a program. Winning helps more. Just my old fashioned opinion.
No, having guys leave early to be undrafted or even second round picks (Jackson) doesn't help our recruiting, but it's also the case that from the players' perspective, them coming back only to have a similar or worse draft outcome wasn't a good option.

Reaction Score
don't forget, there's a chance that his agent arranged for him to go undrafted -- i think a number of undrafted free agents will communicate with teams at the bottom of the second round and inform them that they already have a destination as a UFA and would prefer to go undrafted as opposed to being drafted that low.

that being said, i am not sure that i see a reason why chicago would be a preferred destination (besides the fact that it's a world class city, of course)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We have a potential All American big man starting at C for us next year, it was in everyone's best interest for Adama to go to the NBA. This isn't even a debate
Actually you are sucked in by the modern stuff. One little injury and you aren't as smart as you suppose. Ok, UConn is better off next year with four guys gone with remaining eligibility who were the guts of bringing us a title (didn’t win the league or league tournament if I recall) but you are sure Clingan will do it surrounded by mostly untested kids. I hope they can, but it is “debatable” and at this moment in time, unprovable.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No, having guys leave early to be undrafted or even second round picks (Jackson) doesn't help our recruiting, but it's also the case that from the players' perspective, them coming back only to have a similar or worse draft outcome wasn't a good option.
Obviously it is better, maybe i guess, from the players perspective and i hope they do well. If you are happy with UConn being an NBA feeder for kids who have eligibility left, fine, but Im a UConn fan first. Really good players leaving before they are fully matured doesnt help UConn the tear after they leave.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
lol at predictable when a 8-seed made the finals and a 7-seed made the WCF. If you watched the Nuggets, Heat or even Lakers you would see incredible defense and great basketball.

I know some people who don't like ice cream. Not worth the time explaining why they're wrong.

Reaction Score
Actually you are sucked in by the modern stuff. One little injury and you aren't as smart as you suppose. Ok, UConn is better off next year with four guys gone with remaining eligibility who were the guts of bringing us a title (didn’t win the league or league tournament if I recall) but you are sure Clingan will do it surrounded by mostly untested kids. I hope they can, but it is “debatable” and at this moment in time, unprovable.
You're right, one little injury does have the potential to change everything. But that's exactly why you need to go to the NBA when you have the chance like Jackson and Sanogo did.

You're living in a fantasy world though, if all you care about is seeing guys stay in college for 4 years then stop being a UConn fan and go root for some low major school with no pro basketball prospects. I'm already questioning your fandom considering you just tried to discredit the achievements of a national championship team

Reaction Score
Based on his track record, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sanogo absolutely eat in the G League, and that's what it's going to take for him to get NBA minutes. The biggest question mark for him will be proving he can consistently defend 5's at this level.
Problem with the G league for centers is that it's a track fest with guards chucking up shots

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He accomplished everything he set out to accomplish as a college player and wanted to start his pro career. I can't fault him and
You're right, one little injury does have the potential to change everything. But that's exactly why you need to go to the NBA when you have the chance like Jackson and Sanogo did.

You're living in a fantasy world though, if all you care about is seeing guys stay in college for 4 years then stop being a UConn fan and go root for some low major school with no pro basketball prospects. I'm already questioning your fandom considering you just tried to discredit the achievements of a national championship team
Okay pompous one. Im saying it doesn't help my team. Clearly it helps the player financially, but if you seriously think UCONN has better prospects without a proven talented player, you are a better agent than a fan. Go root for the G league.

Reaction Score
Obviously it is better, maybe i guess, from the players perspective and i hope they do well. If you are happy with UConn being an NBA feeder for kids who have eligibility left, fine, but Im a UConn fan first. Really good players leaving before they are fully matured doesnt help UConn the tear after they leave.

You want what’s best for you as a fan and not what’s best for the kid. Easier to just say it. Hopefully you’ll get over this in a couple days and start thinking rationally.

(Honestly, hearing some of this rah rah “I’m a UConn fan first” stuff from people who dumped on this team and it’s coach right up until they won the whole thing is pretty ridiculous.)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Meant to add, i didnot “discredit” the team. I pointed out a bit of reality. Methinks you are the one living in a fantasy world. I totally get what is happening. Bottom line is players leaving early does not help a program win championships except in fantasyland.

Reaction Score
Okay pompous one. Im saying it doesn't help my team. Clearly it helps the player financially, but if you seriously think UCONN has better prospects without a proven talented player, you are a better agent than a fan. Go root for the G league.
Nobody is saying it's better for UConn, that's just an incredibly small minded and ignorant view. It would be better for UConn to win championships if every great player we got stayed 4 years. But that's not happening in 2023, 2003, or even 1993.

I can at least understand people who can't get behind a one and done freshman, even if I don't agree. But knocking guys like Jackson and Sanogo who stayed 3 years, and brought us a championship is just insane

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sanogo is eventually going to be a huge piece for some winning team. I don't think Chicago is that team.

Reaction Score
Interesting comment and indicative of the evolution of college ball. You probably are right about him, the unprovable, but it probably wouldn’t have hurt UConn for him to stay another year. I’m not convinced having a bunch of guys leave early helps recruiting overall or that it’s good for a program. Winning helps more. Just my old fashioned opinion.
The really important thing is for the players to leave when they are most ready, as RIP did after staying the extra year JC suggested.
Considering the trajectory AS was on relative to development of his skills, especially his 3 point %, you raise a good point. Maybe that one more year would have lead to an even higher % of made three's and made him look more attractive. Trouble is we'll never know and can only hope for his sake that he ends up with the right team and coaching.

Reaction Score
Who the frick said its bad for the kid? If i’m the kids parent i’m doing cartwheels. And I don’t begrudge the kid. It is what it is as they say. I haven't seen one person say a thing to show how it’s better for the prigram. That is all u’m suggesting. .
We sent 3 kids to the NBA who were all ranked outside the top 50. If you can’t see how that reflects well on the program for future recruits, I don’t know what to tell ya

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Nobody is saying it's better for UConn, that's just an incredibly small minded and ignorant view. It would be better for UConn to win championships if every great player we got stayed 4 years. But that's not happening in 2023, 2003, or even 1993.

I can at least understand people who can't get behind a one and done freshman, even if I don't agree. But knocking guys like Jackson and Sanogo who stayed 3 years, and brought us a championship is just insane
Another dense reply. Show me where i knocked a kid for leaving. I didn’t. I said i din’t see ut as helping the program I root for. Some people salivate over kids leaving early on the theory it helps to recruit other studs. And maybe it does. But if those new studs leave before helping my team to do anything special, it is good for them
Probably, but you still haven’t said how it helps UConn. There are so many posts about Castle being a one and done as if that is good for anyone but him. Hey, great if he is good enough to make UConn really good. But a one and done especially doesn’t float my boat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sanogo not getting drafted is going to hurt our recruiting? Is everyone on dope?

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I think Adama’s future is in Europe. Hope he proves me wrong.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We sent 3 kids to the NBA who were all ranked outside the top 50. If you can’t see how that reflects well on the program for future recruits, I don’t know what to tell ya
If you can’t see how that is great for the kids but doesn’t do much to help UConn win games next year I don’t know what to tell you. Sure it reflects well on the program. But what really gets my psyched is winning games. It is quite possible none of the kids who left early this year would improve their game or draft situation by staying and Hawkins especially was probably risking too much by staying. Is UConn better without Hawkins next year? Heck , I think Khalid hurt himself by staying. That is not my point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom