ACC | Page 21 | The Boneyard

ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
First, I understand the emotion, because I want UConn to be great at everything, including math team, chess team, debate team, badminton, and table tennis. And I wholeheartedly believe that UConn's hockey team will be a much different team in 10 years than it is now, since they have made the conscious and public decision to advance the program.

Second, the Big 10 has had a HUGE hockey presence for quite some time!! You are naming primarily Big10 schools in your "big school" assessment.

Third, don't be so over-dramatic by saying we are the absolute worst team in D-1, because there are at least FOUR teams worse than us in our own division, much less all of D-1!! http://www.uscho.com/standings/division-i-men/2011-2012/

MattMang23, I'm with you on wanting to see us get really good in hockey. We'll get there, paisan! Keep the faith...

Yes, I was a bit over-dramatic. We are a middle to below average AHA team. So, one of the worst but not THE worst.

As for your assertions that we will one day be really good, I trust you that it'll happen! It will just take time and I am impatient.

Reaction Score
I think people are frustrated with hockey for three simple reasons:

1. Because we could try and be more successful in our current form without going to Hockey East and offering scholarships, but we don't.

2. Because local talent alone would put UConn in the mix competitively in Hockey East

3. We are in hockey country. People like hockey in CT and a solid, big time college hockey team would be supported.

For those reasons, hockey lovers feel jilted by the university. So much opportunity is being missed to win championships and keep top state talent home.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I think people are frustrated with hockey for three simple reasons:

1. Because we could try and be more successful in our current form without going to Hockey East and offering scholarships, but we don't.

2. Because local talent alone would put UConn in the mix competitively in Hockey East

3. We are in hockey country. People like hockey in CT and a solid, big time college hockey team would be supported.

For those reasons, hockey lovers feel jilted by the university. So much opportunity is being missed to win championships and keep top state talent home.
I look at the fact that Hockey East, the "big boys" of college hockey, want us in their conference even though we're terrible. That alone tells me that they recognize the potential and it's not just a UConn fan's pipe dream.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
They only built the Freitas arena in 1996, and it only seats 3,000 (actually, it seems like it seats even less, the last time I caught a game there). That's why they are looking into a new stadium: http://excalibursportspage.com/2011/12/23/uconn-evaluating-program-changes-on-way/

"For UConn, the move could begin the process whereby they will try to financially invest in the hockey program and get it to become a national power."

Also, keep in mind that offering the scholarships means that you have to offer more scholarships to women athletes too. They will, and they will...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I thought the capacity at Freitas was a handful shy of 2,000 (something like 1,994).

We painted ourselves in a corner (in terms of progressing the men's ice hockey program to a serious level) a few times over the past two plus decades. We actually would need some white knight to come along (similar to what happened at Penn St) in order to end up with a truly high level men's ice hockey program.

It will take serious money as the increase in scholarships will require a similar increase in women's scholarships (there is room in a number of women's sports which are less than fully funded but the reality is that each additional men's ice hockey scholarship will cost the school two athletic scholarships) and there will be necessary increases in coaching salaries and recruiting budget for men's ice hockey as well as some significant investments in facilities upgrade.

We could have made this a much easier undertaking with some reasonable planning over the years but at tiimes at appears that we have gone out of our way to make this a very difficult task. As bad as this is, it is a cakewalk when compared to men's lacrosse (where every one of Hoophound's points also apply).

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think that many people are being unreasonable about the expectations of funding for the hockey team. Over the past 25 years, all UConn has done for athletics investments are:

1) Gampel Pavilion
2) Shenkman Center
3) Burton Complex
4) Rentschler Field
5) Freitas Arena (the Hut used to seat, what, 40 people??)
6) Field House / Track renovation

This is not to even mention what the school has invested through the UConn 2000 project, which was, I believe, over a billion dollars of new campus buildings, including the new Co-op, new Library, new Pharmacy building, new Business building, new Chemistry building, new Biotechnology building, etc. And now we are talking about expanding our hockey building / efforts as well as a new multi-million dollar baseball complex, and you guys are still mad about the speed of UConn's investments??? C'mon, guys!! Let's be reasonable!!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-figure out xl with the bball team, w/e the stupid rumor was just figure it out.
-wait until the pf is all built, then announce that all bball games for the next 6 years(2020) will be at xl.
-ripup the floor at gampel and put a rink. not that expensive compared to building a arena. gampel becomes a 8k rink. thats plenty for d1 puck in ct for as long as the program goes.
-screw the bean pot. call up yale, quinn and shu and play the "charter oak" or something in xl or at the rent every year.
-gampel is a small reno as is game on in 2015. from 15-20 keep the $$ quietly building and build a 15k bball arena on campus or down the street(dt storrs). leave xl for good. now xl can do all of that revamp stuff that they could never get the $$ straight for. have your ahl team and your d league team and some other events aand a couple uconn things a year(only a couple).
-now the sports setup is better than ever at uconn. everything is fairly new and on campus cept football which is building a fanbase being in hartford. 30 years down the road, it will finally be time for uconn to put a 55kish stadium on campus and really be a gem in the sports world.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
-figure out xl with the bball team, w/e the stupid rumor was just figure it out.
-wait until the pf is all built, then announce that all bball games for the next 6 years(2020) will be at xl.
-ripup the floor at gampel and put a rink. not that expensive compared to building a arena. gampel becomes a 8k rink. thats plenty for d1 puck in ct for as long as the program goes.
-screw the bean pot. call up yale, quinn and shu and play the "charter oak" or something in xl or at the rent every year.
-gampel is a small reno as is game on in 2015. from 15-20 keep the $$ quietly building and build a 15k bball arena on campus or down the street(dt storrs). leave xl for good. now xl can do all of that revamp stuff that they could never get the $$ straight for. have your ahl team and your d league team and some other events aand a couple uconn things a year(only a couple).
-now the sports setup is better than ever at uconn. everything is fairly new and on campus cept football which is building a fanbase being in hartford. 30 years down the road, it will finally be time for uconn to put a 55kish stadium on campus and really be a gem in the sports world.

HuskyfanDan, did I just read that you wanted to turn Gampel into the new hockey rink??? You have to lay off the Captain Morgan's, brotha!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
HuskyfanDan, did I just read that you wanted to turn Gampel into the new hockey rink??? You have to lay off the Captain Morgan's, brotha!

this should have been done 15 years ago. put the fball stadium down the street from campus and turn gampel to a ice rink. ptcs and local balloon knots imho have set uconn back 50 years fball wise in the long run. we have taken that shot to the heart and rna with it and still created a great program and are as results seeing nice results in hartford. i still am and will always be a play sports on campus or down the street opinion guy but w/e.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
this should have been done 15 years ago. put the fball stadium down the street from campus and turn gampel to a ice rink. ptcs and local balloon knots imho have set uconn back 50 years fball wise in the long run. we have taken that shot to the heart and rna with it and still created a great program and are as results seeing nice results in hartford. i still am and will always be a play sports on campus or down the street opinion guy but w/e.

I understand your desire to have the football field on campus, and I think that it would have been better if it was on campus (not that this has anything to do with turning Gampel into anything other than the mecca of basketball that it is today). I think the main problem for that really is the fact that there is no good road to funnel in 40,000+ people onto campus. Yes, the town has something to do with that, but it is in large part due to the fact that 40,000 people would shut Rt. 195 down. If they could build a better highway in and out, I think that UConn has plenty of land on campus and would have / should have done it. The allure of East Hartford was that it was serviced by I-84, I-91, Rt 2, Rt. 15, and I-384, so there was plenty of capability to get that many people in and out.

There is no doubt in my mind that having a football stadium on campus increases butts in the seats and makes for a more hostile home environment, especially during mediocre years where the "fair-weather" people stay home. But Gampel is hallowed ground, my friend...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I understand your desire to have the football field on campus, and I think that it would have been better if it was on campus (not that this has anything to do with turning Gampel into anything other than the mecca of basketball that it is today). I think the main problem for that really is the fact that there is no good road to funnel in 40,000+ people onto campus. Yes, the town has something to do with that, but it is in large part due to the fact that 40,000 people would shut Rt. 195 down. If they could build a better highway in and out, I think that UConn has plenty of land on campus and would have / should have done it. The allure of East Hartford was that it was serviced by I-84, I-91, Rt 2, Rt. 15, and I-384, so there was plenty of capability to get that many people in and out.

There is no doubt in my mind that having a football stadium on campus increases butts in the seats and makes for a more hostile home environment, especially during mediocre years where the "fair-weather" people stay home. But Gampel is hallowed ground, my friend...

i understand your position that gampel is hallowed ground. i 2 see that as a important part of uconn history. but to be honest i dont put gampel in the same list as pauley/dean/ass/rupp etc... its way smaller than others and for the most part isn't a old historic place like others. when i think of the top 15 programs all time i think something like this. uk/kan/unc/duke/ind/ucla/uconn/msu/az/cuse/lville/fl/gt/tosu/wash. something like that atleast close wise. gampel doesn't match up at all with those other programs and while its a nice piece of history here in ct, we shouldnt think that it should be a end building for us for years to come. if our fball is goin got be in hartford for the next 30 years atleast, our bball might as well be at least split if not also in hartford mostly. yes thats coming from me who is a on campus 100% guy and students are the future fans etc.... its just how it is right now for us, our fanbase $$ wise and this state. gampel is the future of uconn puck if ppl can see the vision. i think that this was actually up for debate pre rent thoughts in the uconn ideas for building facilities up.

Reaction Score
Our stadium in East Hartford seems to be doing fine. Southern California and UCLA do not play on campus.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
i understand your position that gampel is hallowed ground. i 2 see that as a important part of uconn history. but to be honest i dont put gampel in the same list as pauley/dean/ass/rupp etc... its way smaller than others and for the most part isn't a old historic place like others. when i think of the top 15 programs all time i think something like this. uk/kan/unc/duke/ind/ucla/uconn/msu/az/cuse/lville/fl/gt/tosu/wash. something like that atleast close wise. gampel doesn't match up at all with those other programs and while its a nice piece of history here in ct, we shouldnt think that it should be a end building for us for years to come. if our fball is goin got be in hartford for the next 30 years atleast, our bball might as well be at least split if not also in hartford mostly. yes thats coming from me who is a on campus 100% guy and students are the future fans etc.... its just how it is right now for us, our fanbase $$ wise and this state. gampel is the future of uconn puck if ppl can see the vision. i think that this was actually up for debate pre rent thoughts in the uconn ideas for building facilities up.

The reason that you feel that the other stadiums are more important than Gampel is EXACTLY because we play games at the XL Center! Many of our big games in the past have been in Hartford. For the same reasons that I would ideally love to have the football stadium on campus, I would also like to have all the basketball games on campus. If Gampel was turned into a hockey arena, I think I would be in danger of poking my own eyes out...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Our stadium in East Hartford seems to be doing fine. Southern California and UCLA do not play on campus.

Butchy, you just named two teams who play in a greater metropolitan area with a population of about 12 million. The entire state of Connecticut is 3.5 million. Yeah, USC and UCLA will be fine by not being on campus...

Reaction Score
The problem with sporting events being on-campus is accessibility. The campus is way off I-84. Much longer trip for many than to the XL Center or the Rent. Isn't Louisville's arena off-campus?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
By the way, let me be clear; I don't believe that in my lifetime the football stadium will be on campus. I think the Rent is our new home, and I happen to love the home. If it does truly have the capability for expansion that everybody says the structure has, then I think we are well positioned to grow in that stadium. Especially due to the easy access from all parts of the state and other states as well.

Reaction Score
Butchy, you just named two teams who play in a greater metropolitan area with a population of about 12 million. The entire state of Connecticut is 3.5 million. Yeah, USC and UCLA will be fine by not being on campus...
I am sure there are more. UConn is not located ideally for sporting events compared to some other BCS/FBS schools. If I-84 was right next to UConn or if UConn was closer to Hartford, then it would make a lot more sense.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I am sure there are more. UConn is not located ideally for sporting events compared to some other BCS/FBS schools. If I-84 was right next to UConn or if UConn was closer to Hartford, then it would make a lot more sense.

Agreed. A few posts ago, I commented that 40,000 people in and out of I-195 in Storrs would shut the town down.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
we need a route 7 type connector from 84 to campus. that type of thing would be gold up on campus but the locals will never go for it. thats what holds us back. take 384 and go west 10 more miles(w/e the miles is). then loop it north to 84 like up 195 or something for a half circle that would make a nice connector. ahh #uconndreams

Reaction Score

Gampel is a non-starter as far as a hockey facility goes.

Retrofitting Gampel for ice would basically be a complete rebuild of the facility. They'd have to tear out all of the below-level office space, lose a couple thousand seats, and the resulting facility would be, frankly, horrible for hockey because it's built with basketball sightlines.

That's without even getting into the problems of practice time (which would basically necessitate Frietas still standing, meaning that the university is now maintaining TWO ice rinks), being at-best the third priority for scheduling, and the overwhelming "Mullins problem", in reference to the fact that UMass plays their home games in a similar hybrid facility and it's almost always half-empty for hockey. There's just so much empty space, and it harms the game day experience.

Reaction Score
isn't there a move by Baldwin to make Hartford CT the college hockey capital by creating an outdoor tourney?
Would make sense to have Uconn a part of that and even anchor it.

Reaction Score
there is a reason Umass is going to play their games in Gillette and not in Amherst.
I am pretty sure the school is looking at where their alumni reside as well. Mass is a little more severe than CT, but in both cases you have State Universities in the rural section of the state, and not anywhere near the economic hub that the alumni call home. you can invest millions for an on campus facility and hope people travel, or you can bring the games to the fan base. In Uconn's case, having games at Gampel and in Hartford seems to work (current students and alumn's)...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Gampel is a non-starter as far as a hockey facility goes.

Retrofitting Gampel for ice would basically be a complete rebuild of the facility. They'd have to tear out all of the below-level office space, lose a couple thousand seats, and the resulting facility would be, frankly, horrible for hockey because it's built with basketball sightlines.

That's without even getting into the problems of practice time (which would basically necessitate Frietas still standing, meaning that the university is now maintaining TWO ice rinks), being at-best the third priority for scheduling, and the overwhelming "Mullins problem", in reference to the fact that UMass plays their home games in a similar hybrid facility and it's almost always half-empty for hockey. There's just so much empty space, and it harms the game day experience.

Yeah, but other than that...

Reaction Score
[Sigh.] Those numbers are from Nielson.........you know, the company that tracks TV trends & viewership nationwide. They are provided w/in the industry on a daily basis, and are currently sitting on my computer in pdf form. If other websites are regurgitating them, then that's where they came from. I would imagine they were leaked from Nielson's recent year-end report on the state of sports viewership, which is where I got them from.

As for the #s themselves, they represent the average number of viewers for each conference (divided out by sport). My apologies for not stating that in my previous post. The SEC averaged 4.45M viewers per football game. That is NOT 9% of the US population.

As for the Big XII's contract...........I am amazed that for someone who's so hell bent on disproving who I am, you know so little about network sports contracts. For Tier 1 & Tier 2 programing, the market a team is in has minimal impact on the overall value that team has to a network contract. The most important variable is two-part: (a) the number of markets tuned in, and (b) the number of sets turned on. There is an algorithm that looks at total markets, total sets, national market share, regional market share, and length of viewership (i.e. how long someone has the TV tuned into the game). Colorado is and has been, dead weight for the Big XII. It doesn't matter that they're "in" the Denver market. Fans don't tune in. In the 6 years I've been at my job, they have never ranked higher than 8th in TV viewership in the Big XII. Their value to the Pac-12 was simply that while CU doesn't turn on sets, there are a ton of Californians in Colorado who would tune in to watch Pac-12 games. And, when Pac-12 games are on, CO isn't a state that gets Pac-12 coverage (unless there isn't a competing Big XII game). So, CU gives them entrance into a market they wouldn't always have otherwise.

Missouri was similar to Colorado in that they are not very popular in their home DMA. And, that's one of the reason they weren't amongst the SEC's top 10 choices for expansion. But, their fans do tune in significantly better than do CU's fans. And, it's a market that SEC games often aren't broadcast in when up against Big XII games (same as the Pac-12 and CO before adding CU). So, they expand the conference's viewership footprint.

The Big XII didn't "lose" any major markets, they simply lost priority coverage in St. Louis & Denver, and the viewers each team drew. The two big losses were actually Nebraska and Texas A&M. Nebraska's fans would watch anything Big XII related. So, even when Nebraska wasn't playing in the game on TV, they'd tune in. It's one of the reasons they're such a valuable entity. A&M was similar, but more watered down. That's largely b/c being a Nebraska fan is a matter of birth, while being an A&M fan is more a matter of having attended college there. So, there are far more Nebraska fans than A&M fans, despite the fact that A&M is in a larger state. FWIW, West Virginia out draws all of the teams the Big XII lost, except for Nebraska. Now, what we won't know until they start playing in the Big XII is if there is any cross-marketing; meaning, if WVU isn't playing, whether their fans will tune in. That's what makes Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and to a lesser extent, A&M so valuable to a TV contract......b/c you're not just getting their fans when they're on the TV, you're getting their fans when any quality Big XII game is on the TV (this is also why the SEC & Big Ten dominate, b/c they're fans are even more rabid in their viewership). TCU, is much like Boise State in that they actually draw decently well on a national scale, but not as strong regionally. That's due in large part b/c of the novelty factor that successful mid-majors present. If TCU performs poorly (same with BSU), their viewership will tank, b/c they don't have large fan bases. So, TCU could be a better draw than CU & Missouri, but could also be worse. In the end, the Big XII lost in terms of "value added" to their TV contract........just not as much as you'd expect.

And dude, seriously, stop running around trying to grasp onto anything you can to justify branding me a fraud. A week before it happened, I posted on this board how much the Big XII would get out of their ABC/ESPN deal, and what the total payout would be per team. Do you think I just "guessed" right? Come on! Babe Ruth would have applauded calling that shot. Yet, you still are grasping at straws, trying to find some way to distort & contort my words, so you can make yourself believe I don't know what I'm talking about, so thereby, your own theories/logic won't be proven faulty. Do you really think some guy off the street would know as much, and have as much insight into sports network contracts, valuations, etc as I have? If it wouldn't get me in hot water, I'd gladly give you deeper insight and information, all of which could corroborate who I am and what I do for a living. But, that's not going to happen. So, rather than taking every post I make and trying to twist it into something it's not, how about you engage in actual dialog. I've thrown insight after insight after you, and repeatedly you ignore the meat of my posts and toss back some sort of fraud reference.

Well, we know that analysis isn't right. Because, if it was there would be an advantage to Big East football schools to retain a tie to the Big East catholic schools in major markets, and we've been told forever by screamers on this board that there is no benefit to the connection.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Wasn't 384 originally going to go from Hartford to Providence, but then they changed their mind / ran out of funding (or maybe ran into a NIMBY faction, like what happened with the Hartford loop that resulted in the Farmington/West Hartford Haystack)? That would have possibly been a fun alternate history of the UConn campus and UConn sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom