ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ACC replacement list: UConn, USF, Memphis, Tulane, Washington State, Oregon State

Reaction Score
If they haven't been able to leverage it in a over a dozen years, why do we think they will be able to do it now?
i dont think they ever really tried, probably too much $ for campaign contributions to be lost

Reaction Score
With cord cutting and the move to streaming, I would think the ACCN will not exist in 10 years as the content is rolled into whatever the ESPN streaming service is down the road. ACCN subscriber counts have already peaked (same for ESPN) although they will get some revenue uptick in the short term as they add more in conference geographies.
ESPN is still and will continue to be the leader in sports tv. The ACCN is a big cash cow for ESPN. The revenues are going up significantly with the addition of the California and Texas markets. ESPN already streams a huge amount of ACC content. The cord cutters are not going to want to buy several different streaming services.

Reaction Score
ESPN could always transfer the ACC Network into the Big 12 Network. Once the big brands leave the ACC, there is no need for an ACC Network. At least the Big 12 with have brands that have fans who care about football.
The ACC owns 50% of the ACCN. ESPN cannot transfer the network to another conference. This is why Big 12 teams will be added to the ACC.

Reaction Score
UNC and NC State draw 50k to their stadiums every game and have plenty of alumni eyeballs supporting football. Lumping them in with Duke & Wake is incorrect. Their following is similar to or stronger than Baylor, TT, TCU or Houston.
True, very True.

Reaction Score
The ACC owns 50% of the ACCN. ESPN cannot transfer the network to another conference. This is why Big 12 teams will be added to the ACC.

The ACC Network is 100% owned by ESPN. They split the costs and revenue equally with the ACC, but it’s 100% owned by ESPN. Easy to switch out the ACC with the Big 12.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
All Big 12 teams have more fans than Wake Forest, Cal, SMU, Boston College, etc. And that's what the ACC is going to look like in the very near future.
Rufus, legitimate question here:

How many schools do you believe will leave the ACC and where will each go?

Reaction Score
Rufus, legitimate question here:

How many schools do you believe will leave the ACC and where will each go?
Hard to say. I’ll break it down like this:

Definitely leaving: Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Miami, Virginia

Could leave based on political maneuvering/state involvement: North Carolina State and Virginia Tech

If that is enough to collapse the value of the ACC below the value of the Big 12 (and I think it will), schools like Georgia Tech, Duke, Pittsburgh and Louisville may move over to the Big 12.

I see Florida State and Miami in the B1G.

I see North Carolina, Virginia, Clemson (and maybe one or both of Virginia Tech and North Carolina State for reasons I just mentioned) in the SEC.

If the SEC snubs Virginia Tech and/or North Carolina State, I think the Big 12 will desire them.

The ACC then backfills with UConn, Washington State, Oregon State, and the best brands left in the American, such as USF, Memphis, Tulane, etc.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Could leave based on political maneuvering/state involvement: North Carolina State and Virginia Tech

If that is enough to collapse the value of the ACC below the value of the Big 12 (and I think it will), schools like Georgia Tech, Duke, Pittsburgh and Louisville may move over to the Big 12.

I see North Carolina, Virginia, Clemson (and maybe one or both of Virginia Tech and North Carolina State for reasons I just mentioned) in the SEC.

If the SEC snubs Virginia Tech and/or North Carolina State, I think the Big 12 will desire them.

The ACC then backfills with UConn, Washington State, Oregon State, and the best brands left in the American, such as USF, Memphis, Tulane, etc.

UConn is pursuing its 6th National Championship since 1999. You know, actual college sports. Most of us are much more concerned with what is happening on the court than rooting for our conference, but I guess if you are a Rutgers fan, rooting for the conference is all you got.

Reaction Score
UConn is pursuing its 6th National Championship since 1999. You know, actual college sports. Most of us are much more concerned with what is happening on the court than rooting for our conference, but I guess if you are a Rutgers fan, rooting for the conference is all you got.
Why do you keep saying I’m a Rutgers fan? I’ve never even been to their campus.

Reaction Score
Why do you keep saying I’m a Rutgers fan? I’ve never even been to their campus.
It's what folks do here when you dare to post something with which they disagree. Any discordant note in UConn's echo chamber raises suspicions of an ulterior motive. I've been accused of being a fan of various schools.

Reaction Score

UVA and even UNC may stay in the ACC along with Va Tech and NC State. State politicians have a lot of sway. They are tied at the hip.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
UVA and even UNC may stay in the ACC along with Va Tech and NC State. State politicians have a lot of sway. They are tied at the hip.
Do they? The only instance when they did keep someone from leaving was Texas to the PAC and I’m not sure Texas really wanted to go.

Will the state politicians be willing to tick off the UNC and UVA alumni/fans by holding them together? They could, but will they?

Reaction Score
Do they? The only instance when they did keep someone from leaving was Texas to the PAC and I’m not sure Texas really wanted to go.

Will the state politicians be willing to tick off the UNC and UVA alumni/fans by holding them together? They could, but will they?
The Virginia governor famously twisted Virginia’s arm to vote VT into the ACC. A good example of state government intervention.

Reaction Score
It's not about politicians; it's about SEC/ESPN and B1G/Fox.

Reaction Score
State politicians forced UVA to get Va. Tech into ACC. Don't forget the power of politics. We at UConn haven't benefited from it that much.
That was a long time ago.

Since then OK has left Ok St, UW left Wash St & Oregon left Oregon St.
Politics didn’t stop any of those moves and is unlikely to stop any future ones.

Reaction Score
State politicians forced UVA to get Va. Tech into ACC. Don't forget the power of politics. We at UConn haven't benefited from it that much.
The ACC then is nowhere near the stratosphere of the B1G/SEC now.

dayooper

Reaction Score
That’s a different story. That’s strong-arming to bring up a school to a conference that UVA was a part if (even had a higher level of influence). The Virginia legislature would have no pull with the SEC. As said above, Washington-WSU and Oregon-OSU were supposedly tied to the hip. UCLA and Cal were tied to the hip and nothing happened either way.

If UNC has a chance to better themselves by joining the SEC or Big10, the state legislature won’t stand in the way. They’ll make a huge scene to appease the NCST fans and alumni, but they will let the Tar Heels go. UNC is playing the game properly by not filing a lawsuit and keeping its mouth shut. When the time comes, my guess is they will be able to leave. Maybe the SEC wants UNC bad enough to pull up NCST as well, but I doubt it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That’s a different story. That’s strong-arming to bring up a school to a conference that UVA was a part if (even had a higher level of influence). The Virginia legislature would have no pull with the SEC. As said above, Washington-WSU and Oregon-OSU were supposedly tied to the hip. UCLA and Cal were tied to the hip and nothing happened either way.

If UNC has a chance to better themselves by joining the SEC or Big10, the state legislature won’t stand in the way. They’ll make a huge scene to appease the NCST fans and alumni, but they will let the Tar Heels go. UNC is playing the game properly by not filing a lawsuit and keeping its mouth shut. When the time comes, my guess is they will be able to leave. Maybe the SEC wants UNC bad enough to pull up NCST as well, but I doubt it.

Yes, and the timing of it was quite unique. Roughly ten days before the news brole of the ACC preparing to vote to officially add Miami, BC & Syracuse, a national magazine (I believe Time but it could have been Newsweek) had a cover article (with VT used for the picture of all things) illustrating the skyrocking costs of college education in the US (whi has only continued over the subsequent two decades). A large enough portion of the state of Virginia's citizenry griped about how this would hurt Va Tech financially so the state government stepped in and threatened UVA if UVA didn't vote no to any expansion tht did not include Va Tech.

As the then ACC need eight yes votes and both Duke & UNC we no's, the only alignment that passed initially was adding Miami and Va Tech. BC begged and pleaded for a while and an agreement was reached that a later vote would occur to add BC.

Reaction Score
Here are some recent statements from NC/Va. politicians:

"I really think Carolina and State ought to be in the same conference," said House Speaker Tim Moore, R-Cleveland. "I really think they ought to do that. And I think you’d have a lot of resistance to seeing them split off in different conferences."

Senate leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham: "There is something about the rivalries that exist that i think would be damaged if we have the larger schools within North Carolina in different conferences. I would not like to see that happen. Whether or not that’s something that would be appropriate for the legislature to step in or not, I have not really thought about it that way."

Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares, “It is my fervent hope that Virginia Tech and UVa never make the decision to weaken the other institution."

dayooper

Reaction Score
Here are some recent statements from NC/Va. politicians:

"I really think Carolina and State ought to be in the same conference," said House Speaker Tim Moore, R-Cleveland. "I really think they ought to do that. And I think you’d have a lot of resistance to seeing them split off in different conferences."

Senate leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham: "There is something about the rivalries that exist that i think would be damaged if we have the larger schools within North Carolina in different conferences. I would not like to see that happen. Whether or not that’s something that would be appropriate for the legislature to step in or not, I have not really thought about it that way."

Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares, “It is my fervent hope that Virginia Tech and UVa never make the decision to weaken the other institution."
Sure, they would love for them to stay together. Yet none of the quotes above signal they would be able to stop or even try to stop either from leaving the ACC.

Even if they did say they would prevent movement, politicians say almost anything to get and keep votes. They would lose votes if they said they are all in or we will stop at all costs. By saying they want to stay them together but can’t (or won’t) do anything about it, they appease both sides and get to stay elected.

It’s fine to agree to disagree on this matter. We are all just conjecturing here and what will happen will happen. My guess is all the parties know the final end game, they just don’t know the path they get there.

Reaction Score
I can't get past a piece of this. A long-term contract has to continue to be beneficial to both parties. If it is not, then there has to be a way to get out of it. If espn can pay Mississippi State and Vandy so much more for football than it is paying FSU and Clemson, then espn is not doing the best it can for its constituents and it is thereby harming FSU and Clemson. Pay FSU more, it will be more competitive, ratings go up. They could argue espn is actually purposefully harming FSU.

It would be cool to see UNC, NC State, UVA, Va Tech, Georgia Tech stay together and keep some form of the ACC intact. They're likely not winning any football championship any time soon, the basketball rivalries are worth saving, and they still make pretty good bank. It would still dominate the east coast and it would be a great home for UConn and perhaps an alliance with the Big East. Besides, how much bigger can the other conferences afford to get?

Wishful thinking, I know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom