Abu down to 4 schools- UConn on the list | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Abu down to 4 schools- UConn on the list

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Thanks for the update. We would hate to have you have a thought or take an action without letting the UCONN BB fans know about it.

For the love of God SD, why don't you just hit the ignore button for both the PC guys and be done with hit.

Reaction Score
For the love of God SD, why don't you just hit the ignore button for both the PC guys and be done with hit.

Yeah. I didn't have a problem at all knowing what PC thought about it, considering PC is one of the schools he was considering.

Would he be as upset if a Florida fan posted the exact same thing?

Reaction Score
What are the chances we whiff on all of Perkins, McLaughlin, Abu, Robinson, and Chukwu?

If that happens, and Hamilton is our only stud recruit (not counting Purvis), would that be a disappointing sign for KO as a recruiter?

Nah. Hamilton and Purvis was a good job out of the chute while things were chaotic, and the fact that he's in the mix with a lot of other guys is a good sign for his first full year on the trail. It may take a little patience before we (or he himself) can expect a high success rate as he builds contacts, gets more comfortable with his closing pitch, etc. But we missed out on big recruits all the time under JC as well, when our conference situation, etc. was more stable. It's a tough gig.

Obviously, we hope to eventually reach a point where we succeed more often than not, but I'm not too worried - Ollie and his staff will be fine over the long term.

Reaction Score
Nah. Hamilton and Purvis was a good job out of the chute while things were chaotic, and the fact that he's in the mix with a lot of other guys is a good sign for his first full year on the trail. It may take a little patience before we (or he himself) can expect a high success rate as he builds contacts, gets more comfortable with his closing pitch, etc. But we missed out on big recruits all the time under JC as well, when our conference situation, etc. was more stable. It's a tough gig.

Obviously, we hope to eventually reach a point where we succeed more often than not, but I'm not too worried - Ollie and his staff will be fine over the long term.

Agree with all points, I was going to post something similar. It's pretty amazing what Ollie is doing considering he's been part of the college basketball community for about 30 minutes compared to some of these guys, and we've had recruiting restrictions for almost that entire time.

I have big expectations for the 2015 and 2016 classes since he's been able to build relationships with those kids for a longer time, and they will actually get to see the brand new practice facility instead of pictures of what it will be.

This recruiting year has the potential to be similiar to the last 20 years. We get to the final 3-4 with a bunch of top guys and miss (besides DH and Purvis obv.). The good news is we've never really been that great at recruiting. What we are great at is taking our 2nd and 3rd choices and cutting down nets.

Reaction Score
The last time we had our chips in with blue chippers was the year before '11 I believe. we all thought we were ending up with Cory Joseph or Brandon knight, ended up with none of the big names. Wouldn't be surprised if we get a few out of left field.

True - but the guy we got instead of that Joseph/Knight/Selby group we whiffed on was a kid named Napier. Not sure it could have worked out better for us - we got a role player on an NC (perhaps Knight-Walker wouldn't have co-existed as well) who became a four-year guy and possible A-A as a senior.

That has happened a lot with us. We didn't get Jennings, we got Kemba. We didn't get Diogu or Sampson, we got Okafor. Didn't get Kelvin Torbert, we got Ben. Didn't get Doron Lamb, we got Jeremy Lamb. Didn't get the bigs we wanted in the fall, we got Thabeet in the spring.

Even "the one that got away" that JC most lamented, Bill Curley, probably opened the door for Donyell to come the following spring (doubt he comes with Curley already in place at the 4).

Reaction Score
I am really hoping that Ollie can pull down a few of the high end recruits whose short lists we have made, but I am not going to hit the panic button by any means if we don't land a monster class this offseason. People need to remember that: (1) we are coming off a season in which were banned from the post-season and as a result, received significantly less national media coverage; (2) there were recruiting restrictions in place until very recently; and (3) this is Ollie's first summer as the face of the program.

Assuming things go as planned this season, and a very strong Uconn team has a strong regular season and makes a deep post-season run, Ollie will be much better positioned to pull in the class everyone is hoping for next summer. If this time next year, when we have some momentum in terms of on-court performance, a state of the art of facility near completion and the staff has more than a year dedicated to recruiting its primary targets, we do not close the deal on a strong class, maybe then there will be some cause for concern. At this point, however, with DH and Purvis in the bag, getting any additional commitments from our top targets is just gravy.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
If Ollie signs just one of the elite players we're in the mix for, to go with Purvis and Hamilton, we're in business. We'd just need role players to fill out the class. I've always been of the opinion its best to have only two or three star-level guys and a crew of support level/glue guys/role players.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I've always been of the opinion its best to have only two or three star-level guys and a crew of support level/glue guys/role players.

Three-star guys are the support level/glue guys/role players, actually. It's the four- and five-star guys who are usually the stars.

That said, Emeka was a three-star, as was Lamb. Calhoun did a hell of a job of spotting and developing talent.

Re: Abu, what makes him so attractive is that he's a four- or five-star talent who's willing to do the dirty work and be a role player. He'll scrap and hustle like a guy fighting for his spot on the team, according to everything I've seen, heard and read. Obviously that's a guy who any team in their right mind should go after, even if he doesn't project as an NBA star.

Reaction Score
I want Devin Robinson and Abu, not exactly getting a great feeling that we get one of the stud point guards, we are in a great place with Tyler Dorsey for '15 though and he is a stud.

Reaction Score
People need to remember that Ollie already has two five stars in the bag in Purvis and Hamilton. I think we all would have signed up for that as a 2014 recruiting class at this time last year with our program at the crossroads. Anything else is gravy.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Got to get Abu to visit.

It will be disappointing if we don't get at least one of these kids, but it will not somehow make KO a failure in his efforts or his skill as a recruiter. It seems like he and his staff have been incredibly active and effective in getting involved with so many high ranked kids. We need to get some of these kids in for visits and then see the dominoes start to fall.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Got to get Abu to visit.

It will be disappointing if we don't get at least one of these kids, but it will not somehow make KO a failure in his efforts or his skill as a recruiter. It seems like he and his staff have been incredibly active and effective in getting involved with so many high ranked kids. We need to get some of these kids in for visits and then see the dominoes start to fall.

Reportedly, he's visiting Wednesday.

Reaction Score
Yup Abu is visiting Wednesday, I will feel a lot better once we get some of these kids on campus. I really feel like once we get Robinson on campus he isn't leaving without committing.

Reaction Score
People need to remember that Ollie already has two five stars in the bag in Purvis and Hamilton. I think we all would have signed up for that as a 2014 recruiting class at this time last year with our program at the crossroads. Anything else is gravy.

I'd take that even further and say we'd have signed up for it ANY year, crossroads or not. And despite some of the 9 1/2 toes-ing in this thread, we're going to get more. We're in with a lot of talented players. What's getting us out of whack is that maybe a couple of them will go to Providence. Well, whoop de dam do.

1 or 2 more top line guys are going to come our way. Book it. And that will mean we'll have one of our best classes ever.

Reaction Score
Abu is committing on Wednesday.........he told the others he would visit after he did so with PC and UConn but knows full well he will be making that phone call to the rest on Wednesday night saying "Thanks but no thanks"...........feel it!:cool:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
According to the rankings, what was our best-ever recruiting class? Drummond, Boat and Daniels?

I'm curious.

Reaction Score
According to the rankings, what was our best-ever recruiting class? Drummond, Boat and Daniels?

I'm curious.
Off the top of my head I would say the class with Donyell, Ollie, Donny, Brian Fair and Boo Willingham. Drummond, Boat, Daniels was smaller but with Drummond being #1 or #2 and Daniels being top 10 on rivals has to put it pretty high.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Reportedly, he's visiting Wednesday.

I know, but his actually showing up means that he got past the PC weekend without signing with them. He may well be committed to taking official visits with each of his finalists, but who knows. Someone else said that Abu said he just want to sign and get it over with. Come on, KO, seal the deal on Wednesday!

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Three-star guys are the support level/glue guys/role players, actually. It's the four- and five-star guys who are usually the stars.
My comment was not in reference to rating at all, that was not my intention. By "star" I'm referring to the kind of guy who gets headlines and takes the big shots. UConn has always had the most success when there was a clear understanding of who the money players were. When there were too many players vying for that distinction, we've struggled - see 2012.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

I'm curious.
I think we were top 10. Drummond committed after the final class rankings were published.

With that being said, I think Abu will enjoy seeing the trophy case on Wednesday.

Reaction Score
2000 class: Selvie (#1 JUCO), Butler (#1 Prep), Taliek (MCD's AA) Hazelton (MC D's AA sort of ) would be right up there.

Reactions: THC

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head I would say the class with Donyell, Ollie, Donny, Brian Fair and Boo Willingham. Drummond, Boat, Daniels was smaller but with Drummond being #1 or #2 and Daniels being top 10 on rivals has to put it pretty high.

And somewhere, Rudy Johnson is feeling overlooked.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom