Abu down to 4 schools- UConn on the list | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Abu down to 4 schools- UConn on the list

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
And somewhere, Rudy Johnson is feeling overlooked.....

So is Richie Ashmeade and Jeff Calhoun

1. Richie Ashmeade, guard, Queens Village, NY
2. Jeff Calhoun, guard, Mansfield, CT
3. Brian Fair, guard, Phoenix, AZ
4. Rudy Johnson, guard, Jacksonville, FL
5. Donny Marshall, forward, Federal Way, WA
6. Donyell Marshall, forward, Reading, PA
7. Kevin Ollie, guard, Los Angeles, CA
8. Nantambu Willingham, center, Atlanta, GA

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Wasn't the 2006 class with Thabeet, Robinson, Dyson, Wiggins, Mandeldove, Kelly up there too?

Reaction Score
If you look at production and not rankings, hard not to give Rip-Free-Jake some consideration (plus Q). Starting front court on NC 1.

Reaction Score
And somewhere, Rudy Johnson is feeling overlooked.....
Can't believe I forgot Rudy Johnson, he was one of my favorites. We saw him at UConn after injuries, word is he was much more explosive beforehand.

Reaction Score
I loved Rudy, I remember thinking this was a huge signing at the time. In reality, he had limited basketball skills, good athlete, wire frame. But played hard and great attitude. Not sure if he ever got a sniff overseas in pro hoops.

Can't believe I forgot Rudy Johnson, he was one of my favorites. We saw him at UConn after injuries, word is he was much more explosive beforehand.

Reaction Score
If you look at production and not rankings, hard not to give Rip-Free-Jake some consideration (plus Q). Starting front court on NC 1.

Bazz-Giff-Tyler-Lamb-Scoe-Bradley-Wolf would be up there as well in terms of production

Reaction Score
Abu is #1 on my wish list. Anyone know when he's planning on using his official visits?

Also, no one has made a point of this, but I can't imagine PC has a large muslim communitiy, while Uconn does. His religion seems important to him, and that could be a factor in his decision.
Amida Brimah is a Muslim, too. And there was an article during July, where Abu was quoted as saying:

“It’s not something I’m going to seek out, but if there’s one present, and the coach uses that as his pitch, it’s definitely going to help,” he said. “Not every campus is going to have it. I’m not going to limit myself. I’m going to go to the school that’s the best fit, and if they happen to have a muslim community that I could be a part of, then that’s that fine.”

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...lys-live-period-with-his-fasting-for-ramadan/

Reaction Score

that being said, it's tough for you to convince me that UConn doesn't have an advantage when it comes to religion being that PC is a catholic school and UConn has a fellow Muslim that will be his teammate and will be with him for support both at home and on the road. AMA said it is not a huge part of his recruitment, but I think UConn has a distinct advantage there.

Reaction Score
I loved Rudy, I remember thinking this was a huge signing at the time. In reality, he had limited basketball skills, good athlete, wire frame. But played hard and great attitude. Not sure if he ever got a sniff overseas in pro hoops.

Rudy was the prize initially before Donyell came along... When Rudy committed he was a top 20 player- his stock dropped over the course of his senior year.

Reaction Score
If Ollie signs just one of the elite players we're in the mix for, to go with Purvis and Hamilton, we're in business. We'd just need role players to fill out the class. I've always been of the opinion its best to have only two or three star-level guys and a crew of support level/glue guys/role players.
I figured here is a good time to chime in on this thread. Some fun recruiting discussion going on here.

I've not been posting much lately. It's been a busy summer and I don't follow recruiting like I used to. I've been reading many of the threads to keep abreast of what's going on. It's good to seeing Ollie on so many top recruits, though it's one thing to make a player's top 5 (or whatever) list, but it's landing them that counts. As many pointed out JC would swing and miss at many of his initial priority recruits, but always seemed to land one or two along with some diamonds-in-the-rough that turned out to be outstanding players (Emeka, Ben, Boone, Lamb and the list goes on). Like JC, I think Ollie will have a similar eye for spotting untapped talent and developing them into very good to great players.

I've learned not to get too attached to spring and early summer recruits because the class usually turns out to be made up primarily with names that we either never heard of early on or somewhat off the radar. Getting Hamilton and the transfer Purvis was a surprising and exciting start. And as some have pointed out already, if KO adds some solid role players to that group it's still a good class, but I hope he adds one or two top recruits to make it a top 2014 class. UConn really needs to keep this going and finish atop the AAC. Some programs that aren't in one of the high-major conferences, such as Memphis over the past few years, have been able to attract top recruits by finishing at the top of their conference. KO should be able to do the same if UConn continues to be a major player come tournament time. I hope continued success with the Men's hoops program as well as other sports can eventually get UConn a high-major conference invitiation.

From what little I've read, I haven't seen any strong quotes for our recruits that makes me feel like any of them are a slam dunk or a heavy UConn lean. I just hope that our not being in a major conference turns out to be the thing that flips most or all these top recruits to one of their other choices that happens to be in one of the big boys. That didn't seem to matter with Hamilton and Purvis, so there's no reason to believe that it won't be a factor for one or more of the top recruits that still have UConn in their top 4, 5 or whatever. Bottom line, it's nice to make that final cut, but it means very little if we don't land one or two of them. All programs swing and miss, even happens to the Squid at UK, but to cut down the nets you usually need to swing and connect on a few that span a few classes. I think all our NC teams had at least two elite recruits. #1 - Rip & Khalid. #2 - Emeka, Ben, Taleik, Charlie, though granted Emeka was a late bloomer and get, and CV was a role player that NC year. Lastly #3 - Kemba, Alex, Bazz (would have been a top PG if he had stayed in his original class), Lamb (under-ranked, there were some who saw him play and thought he'd be very good to great). It's interesting that it's not always the highest rated recruits that turn out to be the most important contributors, but you usually have at least one that does. Our NCs have been built on the backs of the under-rated, under-ranked, late-bloomers, lunch-pail contributors and winning time players. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Like all of you, I like winning. But I do not want our program to be like UK's One-and-Done U, where before we get to know our players they already have one foot out the door and gone before you know it. With that said, I'd like KO to get his fair share of three-and-done and some two-and-done type talent on a regular basis along with the high work ethic and hard working 4 year ones.

I love how and where KO is leading and building this program. Getting high character and talented kids led by a high character and talented coach makes me proud to be a Husky fan.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Providence is a Jesuit school. PC is telling him to go off-campus to satisfy his religious needs, whereas at Uconn he can do it on campus with a larger Muslim community. Hmmm

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

How much of the vaunted, required, Western Civ curriculum covers the Crusades?

C

Chief00

This far Cooley's top recruit at PC never played a game there. I tried to tell PC fans he would never play but they never believed me.

Brownie

"Sword of God"
Reaction Score
How much of the vaunted, required, Western Civ curriculum covers the Crusades?

Considering that the Crusades were a response to more than 4 centuries of forceful conquest in which Muslims had already taken over two-thirds of the old Christian world and as a defensive measure against what would have turned into complete annihilation of Christianity, I would surmise that the subject has a very appropriate place in their curriculum.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Considering that the Crusades were a response to more than 4 centuries of forceful conquest in which Muslims had already taken over two-thirds of the old Christian world and as a defensive measure against what would have turned into complete annihilation of Christianity, I would surmise that the subject has a very appropriate place in their curriculum.

This should end well!

caw

Reaction Score
It would be awesome of Abu and Terrel both grabbed pc hats and through them
behind them at their press conference

It's happened before to other schools, but honestly I don't care if Terrell goes there as long as Abu comes to UConn.

Reaction Score
Abu is visiting NC State today, so looks like we will get him for visit #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom