Abdul Malik-Abu Officially Visits Florida | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Abdul Malik-Abu Officially Visits Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Assuming Facey will be eligible, I agree with this assumption. If we're able to land a more high profile kid, Bonzie could be 3rd on the depth chart at the 4. I can't see him commiting here if that's the case.

Hopefully he feels he could eventually compete for #1 at the PF and jumps on the offer!

Reaction Score
Assuming Facey will be eligible, I agree with this assumption. If we're able to land a more high profile kid, Bonzie could be 3rd on the depth chart at the 4. I can't see him commiting here if that's the case.

You're thinking Facey is exclusively a 4.

First off, we don't know what Facey's eligibility is. By rule, he's going to miss this year and then only have 2 years of eligibility. But even then, if he pans out and becomes a good player, he's going to play half his 30 minutes at the 5. So, we're talking about 25-30 minutes being available at the 4 right now WITH Facey.

Reaction Score
You're thinking Facey is exclusively a 4.

First off, we don't know what Facey's eligibility is. By rule, he's going to miss this year and then only have 2 years of eligibility. But even then, if he pans out and becomes a good player, he's going to play half his 30 minutes at the 5. So, we're talking about 25-30 minutes being available at the 4 right now WITH Facey.
Did you read my post that you quoted? I said assuming Facey is eligible. So your assertion is Brimah and Nolan will only play 25 minutes combined in 14-15? I'll wager it will be more like 30-35, with Facey getting the other 5-10. If he's eligible and plays 20-25 minutes per game, he'd play about 15 minutes at the 4. My point is it's not difficult to read the tea leaves here that the staff doesn't feel great about landing Abu or another top stretch 4, hence the offer to Bonzie.

Reaction Score
Did you read my post that you quoted? I said assuming Facey is eligible. So your assertion is Brimah and Nolan will only play 25 minutes combined in 14-15? I'll wager it will be more like 30-35, with Facey getting the other 5-10. If he's eligible and plays 20-25 minutes per game, he'd play about 15 minutes at the 4. My point is it's not difficult to read the tea leaves here that the staff doesn't feel great about landing Abu or another top stretch 4, hence the offer to Bonzie.

I see it differently. We are going to have so much talent from 1-4 that Facey will be bumped to C for much of his time. Brimah and Nolan for 25 minutes? On a good day. With the amount of fouls we give, I see no more than 25 mins for them.

Reaction Score
I see it differently. We are going to have so much talent from 1-4 that Facey will be bumped to C for much of his time. Brimah and Nolan for 25 minutes? On a good day. With the amount of fouls we give, I see no more than 25 mins for them.
Nolan will likely be the starting 5 this year, getting 25 minutes a game or more out of necessity. With expected improvement from him and Brimah I expect them to get 30-35 mpg next year. I agree with good depth at the 1-3 spots. As of now, where is this depth at the 4 that I'm not seeing?

Reaction Score
Nolan will likely be the starting 5 this year, getting 25 minutes a game or more out of necessity. With expected improvement from him and Brimah I expect them to get 30-35 mpg next year. I agree with good depth at the 1-3 spots. As of now, where is this depth at the 4 that I'm not seeing?

What I mean is that we'll play 3 guards, 1 SF (stretch ala White, Larrier, Robinson) at the 4, with a center.

Reaction Score
This is exactly why I don't get crazy anymore about "must get " recruits.

Would it be great to have Abu- Sure.

But if he doesn't want to come here-on to the next.

Glad we got Purvis and Hamilton already.

Reaction Score
599x398

Super bummed. hold me kevin, I just need a shoulder to cry on
One of my favorite pics

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
i GOTTA ASK...THE WORD "STRETCH" IS A NEW WORD i AM SEEING USED. wHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN SOMEONE COULD BE A STRETCH 4?

I see my cap lock was on...f+++ that.

Reaction Score
It's a term that I think has been a bit overused here lately. Essentially I think they mean a guy like Deandre who can stretch the D by bringing the opposing 4 out far from the hoop, thus making up for anything we might be losing defensively and on the boards with an undersized 4.

Reaction Score
I think a stretch 4 means a 3 playing the 4. Not your typical "power" forward.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I think a stretch 4 means a 3 playing the 4. Not your typical "power" forward.
This is what I was thinking. A player "stretching" his position to slide into another role. A 3 filling in at the 4.

Reaction Score
Yeah, we're not using the term exactly right. A true "stretch 4" is someone like late-career Rasheed Wallace -- a guy who, based on his size, is a power forward, yet plays mostly on the perimeter. Charlie Villanueva might have been that for us, if JC let him use his perimeter skills more.

A guy like Daniels, Robinson, Larrier, or maybe even White, is really just a traditional small forward (think Paul Pierce, Carmelo, LeBron), who happens to be the 4th smallest person on the floor because that's what lineups today dictate.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I think it should mean a player like Bonzie Colson who is put on the rack and stretched to be 6'9." Maybe we could find chiropractors who will help stretch our 4's when needed.

I would like the Huskies to look at all the shorter, but strong and quick 4's on the teams we've played over the last several years who have abused our guys and get one or two like that. Someone who wants to rebound like Dennis Rodman, but without the dresses (in public, at least). Maybe a Marcus White-type player could be found as well.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I would like the Huskies to look at all the shorter, but strong and quick 4's on the teams we've played over the last several years who have abused our guys and get one or two like that. Someone who wants to rebound like Dennis Rodman, but without the dresses (in public, at least). Maybe a Marcus White-type player could be found as well.

I don't care if Colson wears nothing but a smile if he can rebound like Dennis Rodman.

Reaction Score
A lot of interesting chatter going on. PC insiders say things are flipping around right now (See their Bentil v. Abu thread) then we have our own 3UConn who is being cagey as hell on Twitter.

I am superstitious. I don't like to jinx things.

(Also in that PC thread, talk of G'town putting all eggs in the Paul White basket).

Reaction Score
A lot of interesting chatter going on. PC insiders say things are flipping around right now (See their Bentil v. Abu thread) then we have our own 3UConn who is being cagey as hell on Twitter.

I am superstitious. I don't like to jinx things.

(Also in that PC thread, talk of G'town putting all eggs in the Paul White basket).
The speculation on the PC board is from their Premium board. An admin posted that he heard UConn was leading for Abu and Ok State for Terrell.

Paul White has had Georgetown as his perceived leader for a while now.

How am I being cagey on twitter?

Reaction Score
Yeah, we're not using the term exactly right. A true "stretch 4" is someone like late-career Rasheed Wallace -- a guy who, based on his size, is a power forward, yet plays mostly on the perimeter. Charlie Villanueva might have been that for us, if JC let him use his perimeter skills more.

A guy like Daniels, Robinson, Larrier, or maybe even White, is really just a traditional small forward (think Paul Pierce, Carmelo, LeBron), who happens to be the 4th smallest person on the floor because that's what lineups today dictate.

Yes. It should refer to a player that plays like a legit power forward on defense, but has an outside game so he can be used to pull the opposing big men out to the perimeter. It should only be used in the NBA because college is too fluid to make specific labels by position. For example, at times uconn had lineups that included Giffey at "center" with two guys under 6 feet. a 6'7" 195 lb player should not be considered a power forward (also called the 4) because he does not usually use "power" on either offense or defense. He's just a basketball player. The current college game to me is practically closer to a pick up game than it is to the NBA in the sense that you can throw almost any 5 guys out there as long as you can create more mismatches than the opponent. JMO though.

Reaction Score

Which makes no sense, since Isaac Copeland has almost the exact same size and skillset.

Reaction Score
I want a 4 who can kick butt on the boards and bang on people. Not in to this stretch 4 nonsense.
I want a 4 who can kick butt on the boards and bang on people. Not in to this stretch 4 nonsense.
Amen. I think if people are honest, the majority of us prefer a banger 4 but when we strike out for those guys we blow smoke up each other's asses that we want a "stretch 4".

Reaction Score
The speculation on the PC board is from their Premium board. An admin posted that he heard UConn was leading for Abu and Ok State for Terrell.

How am I being cagey on twitter?

Oh, just read that you said Florida is definitely out, it's between UConn and NC State.

The fact that you eliminated two schools was different than some of the things you've been saying, so I thought you might have heard something but were unwilling to say as much.

Reaction Score
Oh, just read that you said Florida is definitely out, it's between UConn and NC State.

The fact that you eliminated two schools was different than some of the things you've been saying, so I thought you might have heard something but were unwilling to say as much.
So, basically it's either...
- AMA to UConn for the start of the 2014-15 season, or
- AMA to UConn for the start of the 2016-17 season after transferring from NC State.

(What I've gathered most from this thread, though, is that no one has a clue what they're talking about.)

Reaction Score
I'd rather have the pieces fit, whatever it takes. We actually needed a stretch 4 badly in 2010 - Kemba, Dyson and Sticks all wanted to attack the basket but the lane was perpetually clogged because nobody was dangerous on the perimeter. We succeeded in 2011 with Roscoe as a stretch 4 (after TO got his token 3 minutes), and struggled in 2012 with AO at the 4 and going with 550 pounds of muscle in the frontcourt at the 4-5.

But Boone created problems in 2004, moreso than the higher-rated stretch 4 (CV) did, since Ben and Rashad were already pulling defenses out to 25 feet (even with Taliek) and running big-to-big screens with Boone was the most effective way to get Emeka good looks. Emeka's ability to draw doubles gave Boone some easy putbacks too.

Honestly, I don't know enough yet about our future pieces. My rough sense is that we could use a physical presence to rebound more than another shooter, but if Purvis and Hamilton could benefit from some driving lanes, then a stretch 4 would have some value. Ideally, we'd have the flexibility to do both, like we did in 2004 by putting CV in for Boone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom