Abdul Malik-Abu Officially Visits Florida | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Abdul Malik-Abu Officially Visits Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn had the last visit. That can't be a bad thing...

Reaction Score
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN
It means nobody panic. I don't know what are chances are with Abu or any of the top-level recruits we're going after. I said a while ago that our conference might impact us and I would not be surprised if we did not land any of them. It's not just our conference but also the competition we're going up against with just about every elite recruit. My hope is that we would land a couple of them, but despite Purvis and Hamilton I wondered if the Big East Huskies have the same appeal that the AAC Huskies have.

It's extremely important to protect your own backyard, as JC used to put it, and get the high-level recruits from your region. Landing Abu would be a step in that direction. Until he steps up to the podium and announce the program that he's going to attend, let's not panic.

Reaction Score
It means nobody panic. I don't know what are chances are with Abu or any of the top-level recruits we're going after. I said a while ago that our conference might impact us and I would not be surprised if we did not land any of them. It's not just our conference but also the competition we're going up against with just about every elite recruit. My hope is that we would land a couple of them, but despite Purvis and Hamilton I wondered if the Big East Huskies have the same appeal that the AAC Huskies have.

It's extremely important to protect your own backyard, as JC used to put it, and get the high-level recruits from your region. Landing Abu would be a step in that direction. Until he steps up to the podium and announce the program that he's going to attend, let's not panic.

I'm pretty optimistic about this for several reasons:

1. Kevin Ollie
2. Uconn and its facilities and its recent history
3. UConn's players in the NBA
4. UConn is on ESPN/ESPN2/CBS 16 times this year, that's more exposure than any of the competition
5. Our OOC schedule is pretty good
6. Top talent is coming into the conference, East Carolina, SMU and Houston grabbed 3 top 100 players in the last 2 weeks.

caw

Reaction Score
I swear people just make ish up.

Abu has been pretty clear with his timeline. Four unofficials, commitment, official to chosen school. Sure he has moved unofficials around a bit but he has stuck to his basic timeline.

Reaction Score
Good call upstater.........no worries. And I will say this and not because he seems to have slipped away, I would take Larrier and/or White instead anyway as well as Robinson based on others views.

There's something about him and the overstated size that just never sold me completely..........if he decides not to come here (an rumors are the ship has sailed) and ends up in Gainesville that's even better. He can sit and watch the Huskies kick their a**es down there next year!!;)

@mauconnfan This is my sentiments exactly. I know this view is in the minority, but I prefer Paul White as a Stretch 4 position than Abu as a Pure PF. White is more skilled offensively and the kid plays with enough hustle and aggression to thrive in the position. If you combine that with Larrier at the 3 then I like that combo even much better.

I like versatile players that can play multiple position and add multiple dimensions with their skill set. In that regard I prefer Larrier and/or White over Abu. If we get Abu though I am still happy. :)

Reaction Score
I swear people just make ish up.

Abu has been pretty clear with his timeline. Four unofficials, commitment, official to chosen school. Sure he has moved unofficials around a bit but he has stuck to his basic timeline.
Can we have some sort of board standard on here that requires people to at least edit their subject lines so they're correct? People will read this thread all panicked that Abu is going to Florida when in fact the kid has stated he's done with all his visits and Florida may be on the outside looking in.

Reaction Score
I haven't been following recruiting too closely this year, but the fact he is holding a press conference scares me. I can't remember the last time UCONN was chosen at a press conference.

Reaction Score
UConn does not have a shortage of players who can fill it up. With Calhoun, Purvis and Hamilton, that team will score baskets. Abu can get after the rebounds. The team needs high-flyers who can go up and get it, swat people, run the court, drive and dunk. Larrier, Abu, White, Robinson all fit that bill.

Reaction Score
Well this thread went through the complete evolution lol. First, everyone panicked, them accepted, then went back to being optimistic. Just an observation. As for Abu, I'm just going to mimic what the popular opinion seems to be: it's a crapshoot at this point.

Reaction Score
Count me in the optimistic group right now. If there was a 2nd visit to UF I would have been very concerned. If we can put stock in the reports about the UF visit not going so well, I think it will be down to us and Providence. With Terrell likely headed to URI, I like our chances. I've just never taken NC State as a real threat for some reason. He's a New England kid and my guess is he stays close to home. Boy how the attitude on this board and our status ad a recruiting heavyweight change if things fall in our favor.

Reaction Score
Until proven otherwise, the last 25plus years has proven that the UConn program has made the player, not one single recruit has made the UConn program what it is. We have always developed our guys, elite recruits from donyell marshall to rudy gay, to far less heralded ones, from Hilton Armstrong to Jeremy lamb. I have always felt what has separated UConn from some other elite programs is the mentality of its players, a mentality that is unique to a certain type of kid that has also proven to carry on through their entire career. This program isn't for everyone, and certainly not for a kid getting pulled in a million different directions. Just take a look at CJ Leslie or Durand Scott.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Is there a hurricane off the coast of Florida? How quickly do those things whip up?

Best we can hope or is 100 degrees and 90% humidity.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Abu is playing us down. Then he's gonna surprise everyone on Sept. 7th by selecting UConn.

Reaction Score
Best we can hope or is 100 degrees and 90% humidity.
People's perceptions about Florida crack me up. Before I moved down here almost 3 years ago, people would cite hurricanes and extreme heat as concerns they'd have in moving here. In 3 summers we've had zero hurricanes while CT has had 2 bad ones. As for the heat, I'll say this. While it hits 90 for about 7 months, it rarely exceeds 95, and the nights are generally really comfortable. I live close to the coast so the breeze helps considerably, Inland spots like Gainesville and Orlando can be rough. I've honestly found the humidity to be more oppressive in CT than here. All this said, I hope Abu's perception of Florida is that it's a miserable place to live, smoking coeds aside.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I lived in Florida for seven years. I've never been back, but my memory is of unbearable heat and humidity, and a tropical storm or hurricane (two major hurricanes in the seven years I lived in the state) pretty much every year.

People's perceptions about Florida crack me up. Before I moved down here almost 3 years ago, people would cite hurricanes and extreme heat as concerns they'd have in moving here. In 3 summers we've had zero hurricanes while CT has had 2 bad ones. As for the heat, I'll say this. While it hits 90 for about 7 months, it rarely exceeds 95, and the nights are generally really comfortable. I live close to the coast so the breeze helps considerably, Inland spots like Gainesville and Orlando can be rough. I've honestly found the humidity to be more oppressive in CT than here. All this said, I hope Abu's perception of Florida is that it's a miserable place to live, smoking coeds aside.

Reaction Score
I lived in Florida for seven years. I've never been back, but my memory is of unbearable heat and humidity, and a tropical storm or hurricane pretty much every year.
Tom, Im sure I've been fortunate with regard to hurricanes but with central air and proper planning it's not unbearable by any means. During heat waves in CT, I remember the heat and humidity didn't dissipate at night, here they do. Where did you live? I think people bothered by the heat have to live near the coast.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
@AdamFinkelstein: Abdul-Malik Abu set to visit Florida officially beginning tomorrow morning before announcing his decision on Saturday

Ohhhhh boy....
Must have gotten this info from the screenwriter of "Lincoln"!

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
This thread is hysterical...

from "We are doomed" to "We are UConn"!

Reaction Score
It's amazing how this has gone from PC vs UCONN to Florida vs NC State so quickly

Reaction Score
The fact that we just offered Colson suggests that Ollie thinks we're out of the running for Abu.

Or everyone could just be ****ing with us.

Reaction Score
Assuming Facey will be eligible, I agree with this assumption. If we're able to land a more high profile kid, Bonzie could be 3rd on the depth chart at the 4. I can't see him commiting here if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom