Abdul Malik-Abu Officially Visits Florida | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Abdul Malik-Abu Officially Visits Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People's perceptions about Florida crack me up. Before I moved down here almost 3 years ago, people would cite hurricanes and extreme heat as concerns they'd have in moving here. In 3 summers we've had zero hurricanes while CT has had 2 bad ones. As for the heat, I'll say this. While it hits 90 for about 7 months, it rarely exceeds 95, and the nights are generally really comfortable. I live close to the coast so the breeze helps considerably, Inland spots like Gainesville and Orlando can be rough. I've honestly found the humidity to be more oppressive in CT than here. All this said, I hope Abu's perception of Florida is that it's a miserable place to live, smoking coeds aside.
Spent 4 years in Florida in college and swore I'd never go back. The Florida perception many people have is the Florida on the coasts which is heavily populated by eastern and mid-western transplants. You only need to go a few miles inland and you will quickly find that Florida is the deep south (including Gainsville). Florida is about as redneck as it gets.
The humidity can be oppressive especially if you play sports. You take a shower go outside and feel like you need another shower. All that and in my advanced age I'm actually thinking about moving there because the winters in NE seem to get longer every year. Go figure.

Reaction Score
So, basically it's either...
- AMA to UConn for the start of the 2014-15 season, or
- AMA to UConn for the start of the 2016-17 season after transferring from NC State.

(What I've gathered most from this thread, though, is that no one has a clue what they're talking about.)[/quote
"(What I've gathered most from this thread, though, is that no one has a clue what they're talking about.)"
Easily the most accurate comment in this thread. We are all guessing. My guess is Abu to PC--don't have any hard facts or inside information to back that guess up. If he comes to UConn great but we already have a strong team with or without him.

Reaction Score
Oh, just read that you said Florida is definitely out, it's between UConn and NC State.

The fact that you eliminated two schools was different than some of the things you've been saying, so I thought you might have heard something but were unwilling to say as much.
I was on 247sports forums and their top recruiting guy was saying that Florida was out. I DM him and asked him why this was and he told me that Boswell(Abu's AAU coach) didn't want him at Florida. Putting that and what the PC admin said right now I believe it's either NC State or UConn.

Reaction Score
I was on 247sports forums and their top recruiting guy was saying that Florida was out. I DM him and asked him why this was and he told me that Boswell(Abu's AAU coach) didn't want him at Florida. Putting that and what the PC admin said right now I believe it's either NC State or UConn.

really makes you wonder where in the world Finklestein came up with Abu officially visiting Florida from then.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
You'd have to think that because he visited after announcing his selection date, Florida is probably less likely. I think he is PC bound.

Reaction Score
at this point my best guess is whoever is in his camp is throwing everything out there to keep everybody guessing until 9/7

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone knows where Abu is headed. My theory is that people in his camp from Expressions Elite are throwing all kinds of conflicting information out there to confuse everyone so that they'll be very interested in the announcement this Saturday. Expressions Elite is a relatively new AAU program headed by a guy who owns a sneaker chain called Expressions. He understands marketing. He is using Abu and Terrell's announcements as a way to market his AAU program. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

caw

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone knows where Abu is headed. My theory is that people in his camp from Expressions Elite are throwing all kinds of conflicting information out there to confuse everyone so that they'll be very interested in the announcement this Saturday. Expressions Elite is a relatively new AAU program headed by a guy who owns a sneaker chain called Expressions. He understands marketing. He is using Abu and Terrell's announcements as a way to market his AAU program. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

With that said, I haven't seen any report with him coming to UConn or UConn leading. I've seen NCSt, UF and even PC as leading or him predicted to go to each one with UConn listed as "still in it." Ive also seen reports saying the other three schools are put of it. Someone is having a ton of fun with reporters.

I can't remember any reports saying UConn is out of it, aside from posters here.

Reaction Score
Exactly, I posted this same thing a week or two ago. They are clearly putting out misinformation on purpose. There is no point to listening to anything said in the media about either of their recruitments.

Reaction Score

Interesting the very close relationship between T. Boswell and Oriakhi....

Reaction Score
it seems as if AO has ties to every NE recruit that is currently or has been recently on UConn's radar

Reaction Score
I posted this pic before but is well worth posting again.

To Mr. Abu, you probably dreamt of the day your name would be called and you go up and shake the commissioners hand. UCONN has it's track record over the years. Check it out (Note: These are only the lottery picks...not the NBA alumni)

Lottery.JPG

Reaction Score
I've given up on trying to figure out his recruitment. I want Saturday to come fast.

Reaction Score
Geez, if this kid is negatively influencing recruits then no crticism of him should be off limits.

it seems as if AO has ties to every NE recruit that is currently or has been recently on UConn's radar

Reaction Score
at this point my best guess is whoever is in his camp is throwing everything out there to keep everybody guessing until 9/7

This is more or less what I said four days ago with much less efficiency:

"I think you are right. There seems to be a pattern here: first (about three weeks ago) Meyer predicted Terrell and Abu to PC as a package deal, and most of us assumed he was doing this just because PC was the one common denominator in their final fours. Then, two weeks ago, Meyer changed his prediction UConn on the basis of, paraphrasing, "info and gut". And then a few days ago he changed his prediction to Florida, and Jeff Borzello weighed in, citing "Info and gut feelings" as his reasoning for predicting Abu to Florida.

Now, it's certainly entirely possible that the kid has simply changed his mind multiple times over the past couple weeks. Thinking about it, though, between the short visit to Florida (and whispers that the visit may not have gone well), the promotion to his announcement, and the fact that the AAU program of Terrell and Abu seems interested in squeezing as much publicity and drama out of this as possible, I'm not so sure UConn is out of this. I'm not necessarily trying to argue Abu is purposely deceiving people, but when you consider the common rationale from recruiting insiders - generally some combination of information and gut - my guess would be the Abu camp has ever incentive to throw each of the remaining four teams a bone whenever he can to keep people interested and curious. This "info and gut" non-sense could be as little as Abu telling somebody something he likes about a particular school, and Meyer running back to his lap top to change his prediction.

At this point, the only thing clear to me (other than the fact that I'm obviously spending way too much time thinking about this) is that all four schools have a legitimate chance, still. It's one of the few recruitments in recent years where I wouldn't be surprised by him picking any of the four hats."

There are a ton of different people predicting a ton of different things and nobody seems to know for sure. I'm actually starting to feel pretty good about UConn's chances - the kid has clearly been high on them for a long time, grew up watching them, has a good relationship with Ollie, and they are close to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom