Aaliyah Chavez reportedly looking for $1 million in NIL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aaliyah Chavez reportedly looking for $1 million in NIL

Reaction Score
I think you are forming your opinions based on a lot of rumors where no one went on the record. It's no coincidence this one media outlet who is reporting that these "sources" mentioned the $1 million NIL pricetag did it at the same time they were reporting that LSU was out of contention for Chavez. Certainly seems logical that these "sources" were Kim Mulkey or someone on her LSU coaching staff; they're the only ones who would have leaked this as the other finalists were still recruiting Chavez. Are they trying to muddy the waters for the other finalists, or hinder and hurt Chavez's recruitment by other colleges so that the "price" goes down and gives LSU a chance to get back in the race? Someone had an agenda leaking that information, whether it's true or not.

As a college program recruiting elite players, you can't "wait" until a high school player proves themselves in college. It's way too late; someone else already got them on campus. Yes, you can hope they enter the transfer portal but by that time the price has gone up for a freshman who had an instant impact in the game (like a Juju, Hidalgo, Booker, etc.).

As for Nike, they have been signing high school hoopsters to shoe deals for decades, I believe. Same for adidas. They didn't wait until they proved themselves in college. It's all about forecasting. If you think a high school recruit has "it", then you pull out all the stops.
I didn't evaluate the source. If it was LSU I wouldn't trust it at all but the quote I saw was "However, according to On3,..." So it sounds more credible.

Reaction Score
I didn't evaluate the source. If it was LSU I wouldn't trust it at all but the quote I saw was "However, according to On3,..." So it sounds more credible.
And Talia said multiple programs so suspecting she got this info from multiple parties.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Not sure which quote you saw; perhaps you can link it.

The blurb from On3 reporter Talia Goodman read as pasted below and simply states "according to sources":

“Back in July, LSU and Texas emerged as front runners to ultimately land Aaliyah Chavez. However, LSU has taken itself out of the running as, according to sources, her camp has asked programs for an excess of $1 million dollars in NIL support.

Sure seems like LSU is the source.

Reaction Score
I thought players "earned" most of their NIL money after they showed great talent on the court for a major program........if you're an exceptional player with flair the big NIL money will surely find you.........what if a player turns out to be less of a talent than first thought? .......does that one million dollars disappear? ...........we all know how this is going to end up.......5 - 10 programs with huge booster money will get 80% of the best talent while everybody else looks to sign the remaining recruits leading two a two or three-tier system, destroying the competitive balance WBB has achieved in recent years........very sad stuff indeed.......:(

Reaction Score
This is such a huge point I think many forget. Yes, these athletes are getting their schooling covered, etc., but it pales in comparison to what a lot of these P4 schools have made in TV deals, sports merchandising, video games, coaching salaries, etc. The NCAA could have made adjustments a long time ago. It shouldn't have taken lawsuits like the O'Bannon case and the states bringing in legislation to get to this point.

And when the NCAA relented to NIL, they failed to put in guidelines which could have helped make things manageable. We're already seeing situations were collectives are falling apart and the money is drying up. The finger pointing should be going in all directions, not just athletes and their families. They're trying to get what they can while the iron is hot and I don't blame them.

I also cringe at the amount of money allegedly being asked for, but I also try to look at it from a long term perspective. What happens if Chavez isn't able to have a professional career for some reason? That money could help set her up long term if it's handled properly. This issue is not a black and white situation.
I don't think most fans are against any college athlete earning NIL money but to ask for a million dollar guaranty up front from the highest bidder without proving yourself seems a bit over the top........ In this social media-driven world, stars will get NIL money no matter where they play but you need to prove it on the big stage to become a top earner......,.

Reaction Score
I thought players "earned" most of their NIL money after they showed great talent on the court for a major program........if you're an exceptional player with flair the big NIL money will surely find you.........what if a player turns out to be less of a talent than first thought? .......does that one million dollars disappear? ...........we all know how this is going to end up.......5 - 10 programs with huge booster money will get 80% of the best talent while everybody else looks to sign the remaining recruits leading two a two or three-tier system, destroying the competitive balance WBB has achieved in recent years........very sad stuff indeed.......:(
Not anymore. State laws are making it possible for HS athletes to profit based on recent court cases like in North Carolina. Yes it's sad, but the NCAA could have done better if they really cared.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Can't really blame the kids for looking for a payday, but as long as Geno is the HC, that will never fly at UConn. If schools are willing to pony up the $, more power to them. But kids like that will never end up in Storrs.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Can't really blame the kids for looking for a payday, but as long as Geno is the HC, that will never fly at UConn. If schools are willing to pony up the $, more power to them. But kids like that will never end up in Storrs.

Head coach Geno Auriemma publicly pushed for the Connecticut legislature to pass a NIL bill so that UConn and other schools in the state wouldn’t be at a disadvantage on the recruiting trail.

Tell me what kid playing at this level doesn’t put in as much time as any professional athlete,” he said.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Head coach Geno Auriemma publicly pushed for the Connecticut legislature to pass a NIL bill so that UConn and other schools in the state wouldn’t be at a disadvantage on the recruiting trail.

Tell me what kid playing at this level doesn’t put in as much time as any professional athlete,” he said.

Of course he wants to do the best he can for players, be competitive, etc. but just like when parents or players come to him and say "how much PT will I get", he also won't like a player's camp coming saying "we want $1M NIL or I won't commit".

That's how I read the info on Chavez - her CAMP wants $1M NIL for her. LSU backing out because they can't afford that? Not sure why LSU backed out. But Geno simply won't want a kid who leads with "how much $$ will you give me".

He talked about playing hoops in college as being a "part time job" so of course getting paid is no big deal. But again, he wants kids who don't lead with "Show me the $$"... or say their final choice of what college to go to will be based on who pony's up the most $$.

Reaction Score
I don't think most fans are against any college athlete earning NIL money but to ask for a million dollar guaranty up front from the highest bidder without proving yourself seems a bit over the top........ In this social media-driven world, stars will get NIL money no matter where they play but you need to prove it on the big stage to become a top earner......,.
Fair, but that's not their fault when there aren't guardrails in place to limit how much one could ask for. Similar to rookie contracts for NBA and NFL players when they were first drafted until their unions renegotiated and put caps in place. North America loves the "free market" concept until it becomes too expensive for those paying.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
It's kind of surprising how posters on a women's basketball board seem to take exception that a high school female athlete is reportedly asking to be (legally) compensated for her perceived worth. Male athletes in so many sports have been paid illegally against NCAA rules for decades; now they are getting their compensation legally via NIL; I'm sure UConn men's high school signees are getting their NIL compensation lined up prior to signing their LOI's.

When I read some articles about the sacrifices Aaliyah Chavez's Dad made for years helping his daughter with her basketball skills, it opened my eyes as to how much hard work and time is put in by not just the athlete, but by their inner circle. These 17-18 year old recruits are being guided by their parents/guardians most likely; if they believe they should ask for certain NIL compensation, it's not like they haven't put in some work to be in a position to ask for it.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Of course he wants to do the best he can for players, be competitive, etc. but just like when parents or players come to him and say "how much PT will I get", he also won't like a player's camp coming saying "we want $1M NIL or I won't commit".

He talked about playing hoops in college as being a "part time job" so of course getting paid is no big deal. But again, he wants kids who don't lead with "Show me the $$"... or say their final choice of what college to go to will be based on who pony's up the most $$.

Geno has always been pretty direct and outspoken with the media. Has he actually said something to that effect? Or, are you assuming that's how he'd react?

Reaction Score
Geno has always been pretty direct and outspoken with the media. Has he actually said something to that effect? Or, are you assuming that's how he'd react?
I can't speak of others and I don't know the facts of this so in no way am I judging. But we're just talking here making generalizations. No way do I want to judge her. But in terms of UCONN there can be a logicial opinion based on taking the comment that she is going to the higehest bidder up to $1m. See below Geno on "Body-Langauge." Stating a defined monetary number doesn't seem to mesh with the below link as how one might have an opinion how Geno might would look this. Again there may bo so many factors in play which is great she is asking and great for others etc - okay. But if it is anything near "Pay me more or else I walk . . .," though, then at this point UCONN doesn't have to do it- and based on below listen at around 1:40 - he undestands he can refuse to do it. He probably would. Which lends merit to anyone that says Geno wouldn't buy this. And for the foreseeable future his teams are going to be elite. I get both ways- both have merit.

Reaction Score
It's kind of surprising how posters on a women's basketball board seem to take exception that a high school female athlete is reportedly asking to be (legally) compensated for her perceived worth. Male athletes in so many sports have been paid illegally against NCAA rules for decades; now they are getting their compensation legally via NIL; I'm sure UConn men's high school signees are getting their NIL compensation lined up prior to signing their LOI's.

When I read some articles about the sacrifices Aaliyah Chavez's Dad made for years helping his daughter with her basketball skills, it opened my eyes as to how much hard work and time is put in by not just the athlete, but by their inner circle. These 17-18 year old recruits are being guided by their parents/guardians most likely; if they believe they should ask for certain NIL compensation, it's not like they haven't put in some work to be in a position to ask for it.

Yep!

Reaction Score

As the father of a female basketball player whose career was cut short by a series of injuries before she could reach her goals, I think I know a bit about those sacrifices.......Ms Chavez has the right to ask for anything that she wants but if it's true that she's simply looking for the highest bidder as her main requirement to sign as opposed to choosing a team based on her future teammates and the quality of the coaching staff, I think that's going to lead straight to the transfer portal.......the same goes for any player male or female....

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom