AAC upcoming TV deal will have huge ramifications for UConn, league | Page 6 | The Boneyard

AAC upcoming TV deal will have huge ramifications for UConn, league

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
See that's the other problem. If they're so far ahead of everyone, why are we all waiting to see what kind of streaming outlet Disney comes out with? I'm not arguing that Disney isn't a great company, but they are not ahead of everyone in terms of streaming content. Their biggest value is still in creating great content for kids and brainwashing them into going to their theme parks and spending all of the their $$ for the rest of their lives.

ESPN is way ahead in streaming sports.

The industry is greating anticipating the Disney entry into streaming which is supposed to happen later this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I always knew whaler and “the Donald” had a lot in common, but never realized until now that they are the same person. Whaler (I mean Mr. President), I apologize for anything bad I’ve ever said about you.

You actually know what you are talking about - it’s a refreshing change for the BY.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's been a lot of talk over the last year about how mutually beneficial our relationship with SNY is. I think we could make more money with an SNY partnership but you'd still have to fill a schedule and there would be hurdles with exposure.

Independence is suicide. You may as well drop football because it’s the same outcome, you just spend way less money to get there.

Reaction Score
Independence is suicide. You may as well drop football because it’s the same outcome, you just spend way less money to get there.
yeah I don't ever expect independence to happen. I do think the odds of dropping football increase every year we're stuck in the AAC, though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
yeah I don't ever expect independence to happen. I do think the odds of dropping football increase every year we're stuck in the AAC, though.

The football program is DOA.

Reaction Score
The football program is DOA.
I wonder if Vegas has odds on Randy Edsall being the last coach of UConn football. I would put money down on that.

Reaction Score
LOL. This is absurd. There is no such thing as fair. Value is what someone will pay.

It doesn’t matter how many people watch - if nobody but ESPN wants to buy the rights the price ain’t going up much.

LOL at every MBA teaching claim you’ve made.

You really are insufferable.

With NO evidence, you make an opinion. You state that there is no second bidder; and no greater demand (DEMAND) for content and no different supply (SUPPLY) for the content. Than when this original deal was cut. All things are the same. Let me teach Econ 101 ... which I wouldn't normally: guess what ... I think the AAC number is closer to my view. We shall see. I do not see $15m+ or higher per school; I see a multiple of the original deal - maybe $10m.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

With NO evidence, you make an opinion. You state that there is no second bidder; and no greater demand (DEMAND) for content and no different supply (SUPPLY) for the content. Than when this original deal was cut. All things are the same. Let me teach Econ 101 ... which I wouldn't normally: guess what ... I think the AAC number is closer to my view. We shall see. I do not see $15m+ or higher per school; I see a multiple of the original deal - maybe $10m.

Nobody has come up with a legitimate second bidder. But don’t let that get in the way of the contract being 5x bigger.

You might be better served taking ECON 101 than thinking you can teach it.

When the commissioner is openly hinting at ESPN+... try not to think so hard (that’s ‘evidence’).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Oh and if you like evidence.

If anyone in the AAC thought they were getting the numbers you throw around would Navy reup with CBS for a fraction of
that?

Navy reupped with an unrated network... maybe there is no gold at the end of the imaginary rainbow?

But I’m the one with no evidence.

Reaction Score
Nobody has come up with a legitimate second bidder. But don’t let that get in the way of the contract being 5x bigger.

You might be better served taking ECON 101 than thinking you can teach it.

When the commissioner is openly hinting at ESPN+... try not to think so hard (that’s ‘evidence’).

Just BS

You didn't address the correct valuation ... so you insult.

It is not 2010-2012 any longer. And you don't know all the detail of the valuations and comparables.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just BS

It is not 2010-2012 any longer. And you don't know all the detail of the valuations and comparables.

He addressed something more important - the marketplace.

ESPN is not going to pay the American what its worth to them in eyeballs and revenue, they're going to pay the American the least amount of money they can without the American saying screw it and throwing their content on YouTube.

In the last go-around, the American went to ESPN without leverage and got hammered. And that was when networks were throwing gross amounts of cash at conferences.

This time around, ESPN is under extreme pressure to cut cost, no other networks have even dipped a toe into the market and the American is coming in, again, with no leverage.

Hard to see the happy ending here.

Reaction Score
Literally nothing good has happened with us and the AAC during conference realignment but.... yeah be blindly optimistic

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just BS

The only correct valuation is what someone is willing to pay. So unless you think ESPN is going to be altruistic you better find someone else to bid.

Ignore Navy’s deal for peanuts if you like - they have the details.

Reaction Score
Sorry. I disagree.

I read valuations all week. Ones with single possible bidders often. I understand the dire state of ESPN. But the content is proven beyond 6 years ago. And there still are eyeballs to feed. I’m not going crazy in the aggregate nor per Team dollars. “The marketplace” concept includes far more variables. I think the AAC contract is bigger. Say 3-4x.

Does that work? No. UConn FB/BB/WBB/Hockey needs far more. I don’t know what the answer is. Tier 3 is a start.

Reaction Score
Why the bell not be optimistic ...

Where are you going with this. Dropping football; going back to the NBE; playing Yankee Conference; taking other coaches contracts back on “just cause”; closing the school.

Somewhere ... there’s a Boneyard guy stating that this is the worst day in UConn’s athletic department and it’s getting worse. (And it’s all Herbst fault). I’m older. We sucked in the early 70s. And the bright spot was KEGS could be brought into Joe's UConn soccer games.

So ... ok ... bring back Kegs. I’m sure NCAA rules can’t screw us there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're conflating what you want and what UConn needs with the reality of our situation.

If there's one thing that we've learned with UConn and conference affiliation, it's that optimism never survives contact with the outside world.

Reaction Score
I’m not from Connecticut - neither are you.

The one thing I’m certain about (excepting deep Fairfield County at the state line), Connecticut people are amongst the most pessimistic people I’ve ever met. I fail to bandwagon on a slim marginal increase? Horrors.

I don’t know where the idea came from that we are Power 6. However ... you have sports content in 8 major markets. That’s hardly the AAC startup. To me ... it also is the difference between Construction loans and Stabilized loans. To say ONE bidder ignores a lot of variables. But since whaker11 says so ... I’ll just read one page of the next 150 page Appraisal. Enough.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sorry. I disagree.

I read valuations all week. Ones with single possible bidders often. I understand the dire state of ESPN. But the content is proven beyond 6 years ago. And there still are eyeballs to feed. I’m not going crazy in the aggregate nor per Team dollars. “The marketplace” concept includes far more variables. I think the AAC contract is bigger. Say 3-4x.

Does that work? No. UConn FB/BB/WBB/Hockey needs far more. I don’t know what the answer is. Tier 3 is a start.

Yeah real estate. Where you can not sell and have an asset.

The AAC doesn’t have the luxury of not selling and having an asset. If they don’t sell the rights they get sqadoosh.

Explain Navy when you get a chance.

This is going to end worse for you than when you defended Diaco’s recruiting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN is not going to pay the American what its worth to them in eyeballs and revenue, they're going to pay the American the least amount of money they can without the American saying screw it and throwing their content on YouTube.
This.

Reaction Score
Yeah real estate. Where you can not sell and have an asset.

The AAC doesn’t have the luxury of not selling and having an asset. If they don’t sell the rights they get sqadoosh.

Explain Navy when you get a chance.

This is going to end worse for you than when you defended Diaco’s recruiting.

@whaler11 I'm taking a "wait and see" approach in this debate; but I'm definitely not expecting a whole lot of good.

Anyway, I will attempt to give some context to the Navy TV deal; the major thing they were looking for in their deal was the ability to continue to host home games only on Saturdays. I'm positive they left a lot of cash on the table in order to do that.

Now, if you want to spin this negatively, you can point to Arseco seeming to be either completely blind sided by this or knowing about it and allowing it to happen without the conference being able to share in any of it.

That does not speak well to his understanding of media rights negotiating.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
@whaler11 I'm taking a "wait and see" approach in this debate; but I'm definitely not expecting a whole lot of good.

Anyway, I will attempt to give some context to the Navy TV deal; the major thing they were looking for in their deal was the ability to continue to host home games only on Saturdays. I'm positive they left a lot of cash on the table in order to do that.

Now, if you want to spin this negatively, you can point to Arseco seeming to be either completely blind sided by this or knowing about it and allowing it to happen without the conference being able to share in any of it.

That does not speak well to his understanding of media rights negotiating.

If the league had the juice to get $10 million a team you don’t think they could keep one school’s home games on Saturday?

The deal the league allows Navy is an embarrassment to the other 11 schools.

Navy did not leave big money on the table - rest easy.

CL82

Reaction Score
If the league had the juice to get $10 million a team you don’t think they could keep one school’s home games on Saturday?

The deal the league allows Navy is an embarrassment to the other 11 schools.

Navy did not leave big money on the table - rest easy.
Is the deal ND gets an embarrassment to the ACC?

Navy's deal makes sense under the current terms in terms of exposure and revenue.

FWIW, I don't disagree with your core point that without a second equivalent bidder we will be stuck with whatever ESPN dains to give us.

Reaction Score
I 100% agree with Whaler here. There has to be more bidders or we are in trouble. My hope is that Aresco is confident because:

1. Through his many media contacts, he knows he has more bidders and he’s played this perfectly.

Or

2. ESPN has told him, they want to invest in the conference with a livable wage and put more focus on it. The Amercan can’t grow without money to keep coaches and build infrastructure.

Both of these are long shots but Aresco does have media contacts and the American has been good for ESPN, so it is possible that he’s been playing chess while we were playing checkers. However, this is when we refer to Fishy’s rule above and remember, CR always leaves us disappointed. A good contract would be our first pleasant surprise.

CL82

Reaction Score
I 100% agree with Whaler here. There has to be more bidders or we are in trouble. My hope is that Aresco is confident because:

1. Through his many media contacts, he knows he has more bidders and he’s played this perfectly.

Or

2. ESPN has told him, they want to invest in the conference with a livable wage and put more focus on it. The Amercan can’t grow without money to keep coaches and build infrastructure.

Both of these are long shots but Aresco does have media contacts and the American has been good for ESPN, so it is possible that he’s been playing chess while we were playing checkers. However, this is when we refer to Fishy’s rule above and remember, CR always leaves us disappointed. A good contract would be our first pleasant surprise.
or 3. He's putting best light possible on a tough situation.

Reaction Score
As we all know ... whaler11 will continue badgering for months. Years. I’m optimistic. Not wildly. But, the theme that AAC was a startup and is now proven rings true.

LET ME ADD
WTF is up with the Diaco comment. I have no allegiance to that guy. And I’m not sure I ever saw him as fully capable of gaining a roster on a New England State University.

You need to scrape the unadorned with Stars Northeast with solid outreach and evaluations. Get great athletes but reaches from Florida and Georgia. Get Line guys by watching well into the Senior year games. And have great Staff recruiters. That’s
Edsall.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom