AAC upcoming TV deal will have huge ramifications for UConn, league | The Boneyard

AAC upcoming TV deal will have huge ramifications for UConn, league

Reaction Score

>>Besides the league’s recent success in football and other sports, Aresco believes there are several other factors that will get the AAC a significantly better TV pact this time around.

Back in 2013, instability was still running rampant in college sports — and nowhere more so than in what was still called the Big East. West Virginia had left the year before, and Syracuse was in its final season. Louisville and Rutgers would be sticking around for just one more year.

Worse, the so-called “Catholic 7” was still in limbo, having already announced that they would be breaking off from the rest of the league, but still unsure when. Ultimately, they were gone the following season, as well — taking the Big East name with them in exchange for a monetary payout to the remaining schools.<<

>>“There was disarray,” Aresco noted. “We were victims in the upheaval resulting from conference realignment. It was the worst time for negotiations. We weren’t sure about membership, nobody knew what we had. They didn’t know what we had in football.”<<

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well if there was disarray...

Actually I am prepared to take back everything negative that I have said about Aresco, if he gets us a deal "in the range" of a P5 deal.

Last edited:

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Pac 12 is last out of the P5 with 30 mill a school. If we can get half that ill take everything back and will proudly shove the P6 agenda forever

Reaction Score
“Multiples” of our existing deal + our tier 3 rights would put us comfortably over the $20-$25MM per year range. The new platforms puts UConn in a position to take advantage of streaming media in ways no conference ever thought possible when the P5 inked deals in 2012-2013. Very encouraging.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Pac 12 is last out of the P5 with 30 mill a school. If we can get half that ill take everything back and will proudly shove the P6 agenda forever

Not much risk with this.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
With the way the market is almost monopolized by the P5, hell the media went as far as giving the actual monopoly a name and cementing it further with "Power" and "Non-Power", I don't really see how the AAC or any lower tier conference for that matter would ever get paid more than a perceived "higher" conference.

Like why would any television network ever, ever agree to pay the AAC more than say the Big 12? The AAC has all the leverage of negotiation stripped from it by the hivemind's most recent ranking. It's almost like UConn's future financial position in college sports is capped by conference affiliation. Shame really how this game is being played.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Essnet
You think we’ll get more? If we got in 15-20 range that would be huge toward sustaining big time sports at UConn

Way way way less.

Essentialy their plan is to hope thar ESPN just gives them more money. If there really were competitors interested in competiting with ESPN they say nothing since they can’t negotiate with them until Feb.

ESPN has been firing writers who make 5 figures to save money... why would they hand the AAC hundreds of millions of dollars they don’t have?

Look at what Conference USA got. Nobody is handing out money for no reason.

Reaction Score
Any chance we get a deal outside of espn?

Reaction Score
This next deal will be a textbook demonstration for why it was always the right move to maintain football.

Football is the reason UConn will get paid substantially more than the BBall-onlys that bought the Big East name.

Its a ratings game.

The first AAC deal that secured those old Big East windows (and more) was instrumental in allowing the conference to earn viewership/ratings. Selling out for the Fox deal has proven to be a ratings dumpster fire for the new big east.

Content will always be king. ESPN can fire guys and hire guys, but talking heads don't move the needle. They'll pay for content that draws viewers.

I guess we will see.

Reaction Score
Would UConn tolerate being killed on revenue if the ESPN exposure was enough to keep recruits coming?

I think coaches like Dan Hurley and Penny Hardaway are enough to keep the recruits coming.

Those are the two brands that set the tone for basketball. The tentpoles. Their hirings couldn't have been better timed.

Reaction Score
Would UConn tolerate being killed on revenue if the ESPN exposure was enough to keep recruits coming?
I don't think it would be just about recruits. If they go to a network or platform that isn't easily accessible to the fans, it could hurt fan support. Look how upset people are when games are on CBSSN

Reaction Score
ESPN has been firing writers who make 5 figures to save money... why would they hand the AAC hundreds of millions of dollars they don’t have?
. . . .Nobody is handing out money for no reason.
Yeah, you seem like a decent dude, but this is John Madden level stuff.
They would give the AAC X$ because they can make 1.5X$ on the rights.
And yes. Nobody is handing out money for no reason. Well reckoned.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score

I just hope we proved our worth and get something that will allow us to continue to put high level sports out there competitively. This TV deal is what everyone has been pointing too now for years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I love when a dope tries to call someone out and is a complete fool.

What they pay the AAC isn’t related to what they make off the AAC. What they pay the AAC is what they have to pay them to keep them.

The way that your rights go up is competition. There isn’t any. Therefore there isn’t any reason to expect the rights fees to go up.

Reaction Score
I love when a dope tries to call someone out and is a complete fool.

What they pay the AAC isn’t related to what they make off the AAC. What they pay the AAC is what they have to pay them to keep them.

The way that your rights go up is competition. There isn’t any. Therefore there isn’t any reason to expect the rights fees to go up.

LOL. What they have to pay to keep them is correlated with what they make off the product.

Besides... Someone needs to pay for Hardaway's recruiting trips to South America. :)

Reaction Score
Essnet

Way way way less.

Essentialy their plan is to hope thar ESPN just gives them more money. If there really were competitors interested in competiting with ESPN they say nothing since they can’t negotiate with them until Feb.

Look at what Conference USA got. Nobody is handing out money for no reason.
I think they should find a way to split up their content. Sell some of it ESPN, for the peanuts they pay to keep some "exposure", see if anyone in the streaming market bites. Aresco is right about everything he says in that article. The league hasn't performed the same way as conference USA in terms of performance or ratings. I don't expect 15 or 20 million, people post about but 7-10? Is that outrageous?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL. What they have to pay to keep them is correlated with what they make off the product.
]

Yeah no it’s not.

But you love Memphis so I don’t expect you to be able to keep up with something even this simple.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Besides... Someone needs to pay for Hardaway's recruiting trips to South America. :)

This league is much more interesting if Memphis (and well us) get back to our peak levels. It’s a miracle that this league is still considered decent in basketball with its two most prestigious programs bring down recently.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think they should find a way to split up their content. Sell some of it ESPN, for the peanuts they pay to keep some "exposure", see if anyone in the streaming market bites. Aresco is right about everything he says in that article. The league hasn't performed the same way as conference USA in terms of performance or ratings. I don't expect 15 or 20 million, people post about but 7-10? Is that outrageous?

Outrageous no. Pretty unlikely - yes.

Even just 7 mill a year is 80 annually - 5 years is 400+ million? From where?

Reaction Score
If Aresco gets $10mm per team annually . I forgive him for forgetting BB was s sport and that significant revenue can be attained by getting 5 teams to the dance annually. Especially if 2 or 3 could win some games.
“The proof of the pudding is in the eating “ so skeptical I remain.
“I must be getting old I’m starting to talk like Yoda “

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom