AAC & Grant-of-Rights | Page 27 | The Boneyard

AAC & Grant-of-Rights

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
the length of his contract does make me wonder though. Come 2024 we will be in the midst of the next conference realignment. i'm sure danny will have a lot of sway with the decision makers about where we ultimately end up. (assuming everything is going swimmingly on the bball court, of course).

I'm thinking you should slow your roll a tad. Hurley's 10 games in and 2024 is over 5 years out.

By comparison, Kevin Ollie was 8-2 in his 1st 10 games with wins over #14 and 25 already. He won the National title in 2014 and was pretty much a lame duck by the beginning of conference play less than 4 years later.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, from the start of the conference to our 2014 championship/when Louisville leaves, the AAC was actually good.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, from the start of the conference to our 2014 championship/when Louisville leaves, the AAC was actually good.

What happened after that was UConn and Memphis fell off.

I think that was the year that Wichita State ran the table during the regular season too.

Husky25

Reaction Score
hurley is the one shining ray of hope we've had in the past 3 years and you expect me to curb my enthusiasm?!?!?!
Be as enthusiastic as you want, but this thread is not about the basketball team.

Reaction Score
What's the rush to join the Big East? You think they won't take us in five or six years? They're gonna be loving that $5mm/year they get from FS2 so badly they won't need the UConn brand? Don't want to dilute Creighton too much?

The Big East will take us whenever.

Right now, we're basically gambling whatever the cost of our current football losses are to get into a P5 eventually. Two scenarios:

Scenario One (current hope): Edsalls gets his own recruits and after 2-3 years, the team is competitive again. Within 5 years, they are fighting for the AAC crown and known as a decent mid-major football program. They can compete with the likes of lesser P5 schools like Illinois, Duke, Kentucky, Rutgers, etc.

When the next wave of TV contracts are up, maybe someone, whether it's the ACC or Big Ten, decides the relatively wealthy TV market of Hartford/New Haven is pretty attractive, as well as the UConn basketball brand and the not-entirely-terrible football team, and UConn gets called up.

In this case, you've spent about $13/million a year, but now you're making between $20-30 million a year in TV rights, so obviously you've done well in the long run, your athletic department is safe. You've entered the Rutgers Safety Zone.

Scenario Two (most basketball-only fans think this is the likely one): Despite best efforts, rebuilding UConn football program remains untenable. Edsall just isn't up for the job, they continue to flounder int he AAC, attendance is terrible, and they remain a very bad football team.

Whether P5 picks someone else from the AAC or not, UConn is not going anywhere.

In this case, you dump football or go Independent (or FCS?). You put basketball in the Big East, where you can recruit, but you still don't make to much money and the TV ratings are pretty bad but at least we're all pretty happy with that. Maybe revenue goes up, but it's still nothing comapred to P5. But at least it's cheap to run a basketball program so even if you aren't really making a ton of money, you aren't losing it either.

You just spent a cool $100 million on the gamble and lost.

I can't imagine a third scenario where the Big East says no in 5-6 years, but anything is possible.

I don't think it's ridiculous to take either side of this argument. We've committed so much to Scenario One, that's why we keep going. It seems the most viable way forward, even if the gamble seems quite the gamble currently. But we've committed to it for now. Some folks think the ship has sailed, it's time to give up. Some folks think another wave of realignment will come with TV contracts up in 2023 or whatever.

Both of these sides can be intelligent, reasonable sides. That you could dismiss either as "unintelligent" is only exposing your own idiocy.

But people rooting AGAINST football to get to Scenario Two faster? That just seems crazy. I am rooting for Scenario One currently, but I don't know how likely it is. But at this point, to me, the money is worth the risk, cause so much can be gained later. If we lose it, we lose it. But the only way to be sure you lose is to not play.

Reaction Score
Be as enthusiastic as you want, but this thread is not about the basketball team.

you directly responded to my relevant post about the AAC and realignment considerations with a Hurley/Ollie comparison so you changed the subject of the thread yourself. but also...who really cares??

Husky25

Reaction Score
you directly responded to my relevant post about the AAC and realignment considerations with a Hurley/Ollie comparison so you changed the subject of the thread yourself. but also...who really cares??

Thanks for the recap, but that is not what it was. My comment was regarding solely Hurley's sphere of influence and what it might be in 6 years based on his 1st 10 games.

Put far more simply, Hurley won't have much input on if where UConn ends up if conferences were to realign again.

Reaction Score
So, according to some Boneyard posters logic, $5M/yr Big East > $10M/yr AAC. Added bonus: to get those $5M/yr Big East dollars, UConn would have to pay $10M-$12M.

I hope some of you aren't financial planners.

Don't forget that there's more than a million a year in bowl revenue per team per year as well that wouldn't exist in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Don't forget that there's more than a million a year in bowl revenue per team per year as well that wouldn't exist in the Big East.

I thought the BE got 4 million a year. I would rather stick with [hated ESPN] than go with Fox . I never watch games on Fox sports. True about the bowl $$$but if a conference mate wins something the money is split.

Reaction Score
By comparison, Kevin Ollie was 8-2 in his 1st 10 games with wins over #14 and 25 already.

whether you meant it or not that's a comparison. but ok thread nazi... let's get back on track

assuming everything is going swimmingly on the bball court, lets say 4 ncaa tournament appearances and 3 AAC chips (regular season or tourney) in the next 5 years, then yes it would be highly irresponsible of the decision makers not to seek Hurley's input and take it into consideration, especially while hoping to extend his contract. if they don't then they risk alienating the phoenix on whose back we rose from the ashes.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
whether you meant it or not that's a comparison. but ok thread nazi, let's get back on track....

assuming everything is going swimmingly on the bball court, lets say 4 ncaa tournament appearances and 3 AAC chips (regular season or tourney) in the next 5 years, then yes it would be highly irresponsible of the decision makers not to seek Hurley's input and take it into consideration, especially while hoping to extend his contract. if they don't then they risk alienating our one shining ray of hope in the past 3 years.

It's actually an extrapolation, but be that as it may...

With all due respect, there is far better chance that Hurley will to be told in what conference UConn will be playing in come 2025, rather than the powers-that-be seek his opinion.

Don't think so? Ask a 3x (and then defending) National Championship and Hall of Fame head coach how much influence/input he had during the last major shift.

Also, if Hurley approaches those accomplishments over the course of his initial contract term, the school will attempt to extend him before the final season. They will not allow him to become a lame duck. Recruits are sort of fickle that way. Finally, If Hurley were to accomplish the above, I really doubt what occurred in 2016 under a different coach will play a role in extension negotiations taking place in 2022 or '23.

Reaction Score
What's the rush to join the Big East? You think they won't take us in five or six years? They're gonna be loving that $5mm/year they get from FS2 so badly they won't need the UConn brand? Don't want to dilute Creighton too much?

Right now, we're basically gambling whatever the cost of our current football losses are to get into a P5 eventually. Two scenarios:

Scenario One (current hope): Edsalls gets his own recruits and after 2-3 years, the team is competitive again. Within 5 years, they are fighting for the AAC crown and known as a decent mid-major football program. They can compete with the likes of lesser P5 schools like Illinois, Duke, Kentucky, Rutgers, etc.

When the next wave of TV contracts are up, maybe someone, whether it's the ACC or Big Ten, decides the relatively wealthy TV market of Hartford/New Haven is pretty attractive, as well as the UConn basketball brand and the not-entirely-terrible football team, and UConn gets called up.

In this case, you've spent about $13/million a year, but now you're making between $20-30 million a year in TV rights, so obviously you've done well in the long run, your athletic department is safe. You've entered the Rutgers Safety Zone.

Scenario Two (most basketball-only fans think this is the likely one): Despite best efforts, rebuilding UConn football program remains untenable. Edsall just isn't up for the job, they continue to flounder int he AAC, attendance is terrible, and they remain a very bad football team.

In this case, you dump football or go Independent (or FCS?). You put basketball in the Big East, where you can recruit, but you still don't make to much money and the TV ratings are pretty bad but at least we're all pretty happy with that. Maybe revenue goes up, but it's still nothing comapred to P5. But at least it's cheap to run a basketball program so even if you aren't really making a ton of money, you aren't losing it either.

I can't imagine a third scenario where the Big East says no in 5-6 years, but anything is possible.

I don't think it's ridiculous to take either side of this argument. We've committed so much to Scenario One, that's why we keep going. It seems the most viable way forward, even if the gamble seems quite the gamble currently. But we've committed to it for now. Some folks think the ship has sailed, it's time to give up. Some folks think another wave of realignment will come with TV contracts up in 2023 or whatever.

Both of these sides can be intelligent, reasonable sides. That you could dismiss either as "unintelligent" is only exposing your own idiocy.

But people rooting AGAINST football to get to Scenario Two faster? That just seems crazy. I am rooting for Scenario One currently, but I don't know how likely it is. But at this point, to me, the money is worth the risk, cause so much can be gained later. If we lose it, we lose it. But the only way to be sure you lose is to not play.
This post is far too rational to be taken seriously by anybody here.

Reaction Score
@Husky25
1. extrapolation versus comparison? now that's irrelevant to the thread.
2. uconn was helpless during the last realignment, never mind calhoun. if uconn is as helpless during the next realignment then obviously Hurley's opinion won't matter. I'm praying it does.
3. No kidding. as i've said before:
(his contract is also up unless he signs an extension)
but will he sign an extension if he thinks he might end up coaching in a future AAC with no memphis, ucf, houston, cincy or usf? again I'm praying he does.

please don't respond with a trivial retort about grammar or semantics. after 27 pages i'm done checking this thread.

Reaction Score

Actually made reading this thread worthwhile ... appreciate the time it took to summarize and agree wholeheartedly with your take. Count me in for Scenario One even though my confidence level in Edsall is low.

Reaction Score

Scenario 2 all day everyday

Reaction Score

As a supporter of both programs I go with scenario 2

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm thinking you should slow your roll a tad. Hurley's 10 games in and 2024 is over 5 years out.

By comparison, Kevin Ollie was 8-2 in his 1st 10 games with wins over #14 and 25 already. He won the National title in 2014 and was pretty much a lame duck by the beginning of conference play less than 4 years later.
Ah but KO was working with Jim Calhoun developed kids and Hurley is working with KO developed (and I use that term generously) kids.

Reaction Score
Yeah that was a hugely stupid post re: facilities, especially w/ regards to baseball.

Creigton plays in TD Bank Park - which is the same park they play the CWS in. St John's is the best program in the Northeast by a lot from a lot of different lenses.

The AAC is probably a top-3 or 4 baseball conference (and def. better than the Big East), but it's almost totally by mistake. It's unquestionably a better baseball conference than the Big East. But the Big East is still a pretty decent conference.

Excuse me?

Reaction Score
I spent a little time in special ed for whatever strange reason(s), pre-high school. That was more fun than this message board.

Reaction Score
Excuse me?

Historically, it ain't close.

9 Conference tournament wins, a zillion NCAA appearances, 6 CWS appearances.

UConn is probably going to pass them and arguably is about even right now. But in terms of New England/Pennsylvania/New York?

Easily.

Husky25

Reaction Score
@Husky25
1. extrapolation versus comparison? now that's irrelevant to the thread.
2. uconn was helpless during the last realignment, never mind calhoun. if uconn is as helpless during the next realignment then obviously Hurley's opinion won't matter. I'm praying it does.
3. No kidding. as i've said before:

but will he sign an extension if he thinks he might end up coaching in a future AAC with no memphis, ucf, houston, cincy or usf? again I'm praying he does.

please don't respond with a trivial retort about grammar or semantics. after 27 pages i'm done checking this thread.

There are just too many conditional assumptions in your posts to make it worth addressing.

Good Day.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
By comparison, Kevin Ollie was 8-2 in his 1st 10 games with wins over #14 and 25 already. He won the National title in 2014...

Ollie had Shabazz Napier. And when he left, so did Ollie's coaching acumen. Apples and Oranges.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Ollie had Shabazz Napier. And when he left, so did Ollie's coaching acumen. Apples and Oranges.

So what are you implying? The head basketball coach will have a direct effect on what conference UConn plays in six years from now?

He didn't last time. The Head Coach Emeritus didn't last time. Heck, the Athletic Director had only ancillary involvement. Conference affiliation decisions are made at the university president level and higher, to say nothing of the fact that conference affiliation is not an application process. Institutions must be extended an invitation. What will be the options in five years? I have a hard time believing either 1) it will be much of a choice, or 2) Dan Hurley's input will be actively solicited. What would he have to offer? His role in conference realignment is to win basketball games and graduate player. Period. That and only that will help put the athletic department's best foot forward.

Reaction Score
Historically, it ain't close.

9 Conference tournament wins, a zillion NCAA appearances, 6 CWS appearances.

UConn is probably going to pass them and arguably is about even right now. But in terms of New England/Pennsylvania/New York?

Easily.

I fart in your (and St.John’s) general direction.

But seriously, in the college baseball community, the fact that UConn is currently the best program in the northeast is really not up for much debate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom