AAC & Grant-of-Rights | Page 26 | The Boneyard

AAC & Grant-of-Rights

Reaction Score
Idk if the ACC would do it. They probably still want Notre Dame as a full member and could keep their options open for WVU should the B12 fall apart. That being said, if the ACC would accept it at the same payout ND gets, you absolutely do it.
WVU will never be in the ACC. Small market, the little bit of market they do have (Pittsburgh) is already in the ACC. Plus we won't talk about academics, but they still somewhat matter.

Reaction Score
You can disagree all you want but Googins took the job because he wanted to be in a high resource league.

Of course he did.

You just said he couldn't get out of Xavier fast enough. You're 100% wrong. I was a summer college baseball GM for years and have had Scott's players going back to his first year as an assistant there. I've had almost every good player he's ever had. I helped get one of our ex-players and assistant's job there with him.

He wasn't melting doors to leave. He loved it there and thought about staying. Even without a raise.

Reaction Score
can we please just agree on the following so we can get back to talking about the 2018-19 season and recruiting, etc:

1. we are in the AAC for at least the next 4-6 years
2. the next conference realignment will happen between 2023-2025
3. if we get a P5 invite we take it (obviously)
4. if no programs from the AAC get invited to a P5 then we stay in the AAC (hopefully the CFP will expand to 6 or 8 teams once the tv contract ends in 2025)
5. if we don't get an invite to a P5 and the AAC loses ucf, memphis, houston, cincy or usf then we have no choice but to cut football and join the big east

i'm not saying which of those last 3 scenarios is more or less likely than the others so what is left to debate?
What fun would that be? I mean we can have a thread with 7 to 8 hundred posts saying the same thing over and over....

Reaction Score
Of course he did.

You just said he couldn't get out of Xavier fast enough. You're 100% wrong. I was a summer college baseball GM for years and have had Scott's players going back to his first year as an assistant there. I've had almost every good player he's ever had. I helped get one of our ex-players and assistant's job there with him.

He wasn't melting doors to leave. He loved it there and thought about staying. Even without a raise.

Just letting the man speak for himself.

He listed the facilities and the conference for why he took the job. Go to 5:55 of this video. Nobody twisted his arm to leave.

Reaction Score

He listed the facilities and the conference for why he took the job. Go to 5:55 of this video. Nobody twisted his arm to leave.

This isn't a baseball thread. Let's get back to basketball.

Reaction Score
This isn't a baseball thread. Let's get back to basketball.

Those were responses to someone that challenged the post.

Poaching power doesn't exist when two conferences are remotely close, especially for a coach that loves his players so much.

Bringing it back to basketball... Xavier lost alumnus Chris Mack for the same reason. Butler lost Chris Holtmann for the same reason. Marquette lost Palpable Buzz for the same reason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

No he left and those were among the reasons. I'm not arguing that. You could make an argument its one of the most underperforming programs in the country relative to the resources they have and some of the talent they've brought in over the years.

But he didn't 'blow out of there the second he could.' It was a hard decision for him. If he wanted to, he probably could have been head coach for life. He had been winning recruiting battles against Cincinnati for years. For some people, the grass isn't always greener.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
gor? god no. pls kill me.
If the money were right a GOR, though unnecessary, would be fine.

The money won't be right.

Reaction Score
even if the new AAC deal is worth 5x the current one, which is supposedly the BEST case scenario, each school will end up getting around $10 mill per year?? compare that to the SEC and Big10 where each school gets $40-50 MILL PER YEAR! it's still peanuts

Reaction Score
even if the new AAC deal is worth 5x the current one, which is supposedly the BEST case scenario, each school will end up getting around $10 mill per year?? compare that to the SEC and Big10 where each school gets $40-50 MILL PER YEAR! it's still peanuts

What does the PAC get...

Reaction Score
I know its a tough issue but I am not interested in the AAC and I am 30 year die hard UConn fan/alum who loves football. I can't bring myself to watch an AAC game that does not involve UConn and I have no interest in going to the AAC tournament.

What if Benedict rolled out a pretty good independent FB schedule with 4 or 5 P5 games a year? ACC and B1G cellar dwellers. Add Army, UMass and sometimes BYU and some G5s. Could we please go to the Big East then?? (I'm not asking if that is possible or likely - but would it be enough for those who say it is a non-starter?) I think SNY would pick up independent UConn FB and maybe ESPN3 out of market.

I just want to care again.

Reaction Score
I know its a tough issue but I am not interested in the AAC and I am 30 year die hard UConn fan/alum who loves football. I can't bring myself to watch a AAC game that does not involve UConn and I have no interest in going to the AAC tournament.

What if Benedict rolled out a pretty good independent FB schedule with 4 or 5 P5 games a year? ACC and B1G cellar dwellers. Add Army, UMass and sometimes BYU and some G5s. Could we please go to the Big East then?? (I'm not asking if that is possible or likely - but would it be enough for those who say it is a non-starter?) I think SNY would pick up independent UConn FB and maybe ESPN3 out of market.

I just want to care again.
We would need scheduling agreements with conferences in order to do this. Basically, Fox would need to work their magic with the B1G, Big XII and PAC to get them all to commit to a game or two every season. The problem is that we're so bad, no one is going to agree to that.

Reaction Score
I think AAC getting 10-15 million per school seems possible? It’s still less than all P5 conferences but more than all other mid major conferences
15 would be great. Anything under 10 is where it starts to get rough.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So, according to some Boneyard posters logic, $5M/yr Big East > $10M/yr AAC. Added bonus: to get those $5M/yr Big East dollars, UConn would have to pay $10M-$12M.

I hope some of you aren't financial planners.

Reaction Score
Just over $30m this year... my point is no one is going to touch the B1G/SEC revenue distribution and to use it as some benchmark is silly imo.

i'm not using it as a benchmark. no one here ( i hope) is delusional enough to think the AAC will ever get 40-50 per year. but if you want to nitpick 10 mill is still peanuts compared to 30 (and i don't even think it will be 10). it is what it is

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know its a tough issue but I am not interested in the AAC and I am 30 year die hard UConn fan/alum who loves football. I can't bring myself to watch an AAC game that does not involve UConn

I think aesthetically AAC football has some of the best stylistic play in the country.

If you like wide-open offense, it doesn't get much more creative than D'Eriq King and McKenzie Milton.
If you like defense and ball control, Cincinnati and Temple (just hired Manny Diaz) are the teams to watch.
When they have it rolling, Navy can be a lawn mower and provides a good foil.
Everyone likes what they like. I always find the AAC title game to be one of the most entertaining each season.

Reaction Score
I think aesthetically AAC football has some of the best stylistic play in the country.

If you like wide-open offense, it doesn't get much more creative than D'Eriq King and McKenzie Milton.
If you like defense and ball control, Cincinnati and Temple (just hired Manny Diaz) are the teams to watch.
When they have it rolling, Navy can be a lawn mower and provides a good foil.
Everyone likes what they like. I always find the AAC title game to be one of the most entertaining each season.

You should be commissioner, you hype this league up way more than Aresco does.

Reaction Score
You should be commissioner, you hype this league up way more than Aresco does.

Just being honest.

Athletic quarterback play and spread offenses are visually pleasing. The NFL is adopting a lot of the concepts we've seen in the league.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thought part of Danny Hurley wanting to come to UConn had something to do with UConn going to the Big East in the works?
You may not be the only one thinking it, but I think it is a misguided train of thought.

Reaction Score
You may not be the only one thinking it, but I think it is a misguided train of thought.

the length of his contract does make me wonder though. Come 2024 we will be in the midst of the next conference realignment. i'm sure danny will have a lot of sway with the decision makers about where we ultimately end up. (assuming everything is going swimmingly on the bball court, of course).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom