AAC & Grant-of-Rights | Page 24 | The Boneyard

AAC & Grant-of-Rights

Reaction Score
The smart posters on here want to go back to the Big East. The not so smart posters on here want to stay in a bad conference because they believe someday our 1 win football will take us to the promised land.

It boggles my mind on how anyone wants to keep the football program when the basketball program is what made UConn, Uconn.

Reaction Score
The smart posters on here want to go back to the Big East. The not so smart posters on here want to stay in a bad conference because they believe someday our 1 win football will take us to the promised land.
It stems from discussion of whether UConn admins see the school joining large state public institutions or smaller Catholic institutions. We're looking at the future of these institutions. What's the better bet?
Oh I already know the broad strokes fellas. We’re more like one than the other, and one likes us better than the other, but really we want to be with the ones that don’t want us, but if we go with the ones that maybe do want us our FOMO might become actual missing out.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
@polycom you should actually read your sources before citing them. after their contribution campaign villanova now has an endowment of over $700 million. before the campaign started 5 years ago it was about the same as uconns

and guess what villanova cited as a big factor in all the donations they got? winning 2 chips in 3 years.

I obviously updated my post, but doesn’t change the fact that Nova has donors with deep pockets and we do not. Try again with your go back to the big east talk, it isn’t happening and if it happens it’ll end horribly

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I obviously updated my post, but doesn’t change the fact that Nova has donors with deep pockets and we do not. Try again with your go back to the big east talk, it isn’t happening and if it happens it’ll end horribly
But UConn has the state legislature. How many billions were generated for UConn 2000 (or whatever it was called) and the follow up version. Private’s like Nova don’t have that.

Reaction Score
And staying in this band of lousy schools and unfortunate misfits will end well? Lol @ not being able to compete with Nova.

Reaction Score
The last thing I will mention. Would you rather be paid $5million a year in the Big East and buried on FS1 and FS2 where absolutely no one is watching, or (currrently) be paid less in the AAC and be on ESPN/2/U 15 times a year and get much needed exposure (maybe even more when we're consistently back in the top 25).

These are all things that need to be matrixed and accounted for. More exposure = more Nike money/ more IMG money, etc.
I get those Fox channels. Still not going to the Gampel games. I'm not going to live forever.

Reaction Score
It boggles my mind on how anyone wants to keep the football program when the basketball program is what made UConn, Uconn.

I've only heard people argue that the future is all about the P5, not people saying sacrifice basketball for football. The argument is about the future fo college sports, and what will happen to the BE in that future.

Reaction Score
And neither side’s opinion matters one iotta.

Reaction Score
Basketball almost got us into the ACC. They weren't taking us for football. Our market is highly desired, as well. Didn't Hurley say something about people wearing UConn merch everywhere in CT?

Now football might not exist but we should still aim for the Big East. Thank God for paid administrators.

Reaction Score
We can’t control whatever happens with conference realignment but we can do our part by attending games. Attendance is a huge factor, especially traveling. Hopefully it all works out for us but I’ve given up hope. I just want to win

Reaction Score
Women's basketball does not matter at all. We could win every year for the rest of time it does not matter.
Perception matters to conferences. It just happens to be that the "historic women's program" also happens to be in a very desirable location/school.

Cannot believe our own fans sell our school and state so short. Are you all in the woods?

I've been anti-antidepressants. I'm going to reconsider my position.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Perception matters to conferences. It just happens to be that the "historic women's program" also happens to be in a very desirable location/school.

Cannot believe our own fans sell our school and state so short. Are you all in the woods?

I've been anti-antidepressants. I'm going to reconsider my position.

They. Don't. Care.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It's the norm now, and it will mean significantly more money for each school.

We're so under-marketed right now, the sky is the limit

The football conference is very good and getting better, and we can help with that when we start to improve

The basketball conference is beginning to emerge, and we haven't helped with that at all to date. That's about to change, we can and will pull the entire conference up a notch

Reaction Score
I have little confidence that the Big 12 would seek to replace Oklahoma and Texas with the worst football program in the country, so I wouldn't be banking on that.
EVERYONE speaks through today's lens. It wasn't long ago UCF had a horrible season. Now they've had two great seasons and they are next up?
Why shouldn't that be the goal for UConn.
The only people calling for death of UConn football are folks who follow other football programs (likely ND fans) and are ONLY interested in UConn basketball. It would be an incredible step backwards to join a league who's next biggest budget is roughly half if Uconns.

Reaction Score

I think UConn had a similar campaign where they raised 600 in 10 years. Nova obviously is better at fundraising, in part because it has to be to survive. Scholarships, capital improvements and other activities are all funded from their tuition + endowment.

In addition to these funds, UConn also has the state kicking in 200M or so a year in operating funds + 1.2B or so every 10 years for capital improvements.

I am actually shocked at how small Nova’s endowment is for a relatively high profile private. They are definitely vulnerable once students wise up to the tuition gauging.

Reaction Score
Basketball almost got us into the ACC. They weren't taking us for football. Our market is highly desired, as well. Didn't Hurley say something about people wearing UConn merch everywhere in CT?

Now football might not exist but we should still aim for the Big East. Thank God for paid administrators.
Key word...”almost” which equals didn’t despite being the best basketball program in the country for 20 years. The Big East is dead. The NBE is part of the walking dead with no long term future for any meaningful revenue growth. P5 will slowly suck away talent.

Reaction Score
This mornings kenpom....

Top 25 by conference:

AAC.......0
ACC.......6
BE..........1
B1G........7
B12.........4
PAC.........0
SEC.........5

MWC.....1
WCC.....1

Reaction Score
Oh, I see, it is smart people vs non smart people....I KNOW which group I am in? And I am sure EVERY poster agrees with that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
didn't villanova just win 2 chips in 3 years playing in the big east, which is not a P5?

how much more relevant can you get? why are you doubting their athletic departments long term viability?

if you're claiming their bball team is an outlier then please explain how their other teams have suffered or are failing since joining the new big east e.g. baseball, lacrosse, soccer, track, golf, swimming, etc. and the womens teams.

This truly highlights the differences in what is going on here. I would consider a UConn AD that looks like Villanova's as a complete and utter fail. They don't have an FBS football team, an NCAA tournament caliber baseball team or soccer team. Track has always been good there. On the whole, it is what I would call "small time".

That is nothing like what I want UConn's AD to look like. It's settling for a tier 2 existence.

As for long term viability, once the NCAA loses in court again and schools start paying players, not just in football, but basketball and other sports, D1 athletics at these small schools are dead. They don't have the money and can't fund it. So no, I don't think the Big East will even be competing in basketball at the highest level in the future. Those that are willing to pay to stay at the top will separate from those that won't. And even if Villanova decides to play with the big boys in basketball (which is much easier than football), most of the Big East schools won't be able to. There is no future in joining the Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom