AAC & Grant-of-Rights | Page 23 | The Boneyard

AAC & Grant-of-Rights

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
didn't villanova just win 2 chips in 3 years playing in the big east, which is not a P5?

how much more relevant can you get? why are you doubting their athletic departments long term viability?

if you're claiming their bball team is an outlier then please explain how their other teams have suffered or are failing since joining the new big east e.g. baseball, lacrosse, soccer, track, golf, swimming, etc. and the womens teams.

Long term viability.

As in two decades from now when other schools have out earned Big East and AAC schools by billions.

Think Nova will be able to keep Wright or UConn keep Hurley when other programs can throw $10m a year at them and not bat an eye?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We have 22 championships, are considered a blue blood in basketball by many, especially with a historic women's program, and have a very strong market.

God Almighty.

Women's basketball does not matter at all. We could win every year for the rest of time it does not matter.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
Basketball will never get us to a power conference. That’s already been proven when the Big12 wanted nothing to do with us coming off a 4th national championship in 20 years. You better pray like hell football gets better, because that’s the only sport of relevance in CR.

And, even if football gets better (still not going back to the 9-3 days...), you'd better work like heck to get 40,000 people in those seats. That's ALL that matters to the P5 conferences!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Does men's basketball matter at all? We won 4 of those and it made no difference.

Clearly it doesn't matter if you do not have the other things Money, power & influence. Look at UK has a great basketball program they also have a ton of money ($1.2B endowment), lastly they have a culture that supports their sports. We do not have this, why is this so hard for people to understand....

Reaction Score
ECU and Tulsa never made any sense to me at all. Tulane at least has New Orleans as a road trip.

I also still can't believe we brought in Wichita State based because of a good couple of years in basketball. Should have made some special deal with Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
And, even if football gets better (still not going back to the 9-3 days...), you'd better work like heck to get 40,000 people in those seats. That's ALL that matters to the P5 conferences!
Yeah well guess what..P% games against Big 12 or Big 10 schools would put 40000 plus in the seats.

Reaction Score
1. A grant of rights involves schools signing over their rights to their own TV money to the conference for a set term, making it effectively impossible for universities to leave for another league.
2. The AAC’s current seven-year, $126 million package with ESPN expires in 2020. A new deal could be three to four times higher, but only if the top AAC schools commit to stay in the conference
3. a network will pay big bucks to a conference that includes ucf, usf, houston, cincy, and memphis. however, they will not pay big bucks to a conference that might only include uconn, temple, tulsa, tulane, wichita, ecu and navy.
4. because if and when the big programs leave the aac, no one will be watching aac games anymore. poof there go the ratings and advertising money along with it.

ESPN has always had contract language to drop the payout when teams leave.

Reaction Score
@polycom you should actually read your sources before citing them. after their contribution campaign villanova now has an endowment of over $700 million. before the campaign started 5 years ago it was about the same as uconns

and guess what villanova cited as a big factor in all the donations they got? winning 2 chips in 3 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ESPN has always had contract language to drop the payout when teams leave.

umm. first of all i was only answering the question about why a GOR can increase the amount of money the network is willing to pay. second of all no one's is going to sign it anyways so it's a moot point.

Reaction Score
Anybody care to recap the last 10-12 pages or so? You guys figure anything out?

Reaction Score
Nah, I think Europe with tuition rates that AREN´T outrageous will become the next hot spot. Actually, they arleady kind of are for many people from outside Europe with an education (the top Euro-schools) that is comparable to the top places in the states at a fraction of the cost. And you actually spend a decent amount of time in the classroom per week too. Not this 3 or 4 hour, 4 days per week nonsense. Plus many Euro-schools don´t make students take these pointless core classes they completed already in HS. Those who are forward thinking and ready to save will apply to European schools. Germany is even free for non citizens I think, or maybe that was Sweden. Finland has the best EDU model in the world, the world is passing the states by in many respects: EDU, public transit, workers rights, etc. Sorry but true.

Not that it matters one bit, but the Europeans spend a lot less time in the classroom. Like once a month for some classes.

Reaction Score
umm. first of all i was only answering the question about why a GOR can increase the amount of money the network is willing to pay. second of all no one's is going to sign it anyways so it's a moot point.

I know you were answering that question. That's why I was responding. Because I was asking you why would a network increase money with a GOR? It makes no sense. If this conference is worth $4 million per team now, it's worth $4 million per team with a GOR. If teams leave, it's worth less than $4 million per team. The GOR is essentially meaningless for any network.

Reaction Score

hTgWZbX.gif

Reaction Score
Not that it matters one bit, but the Europeans spend a lot less time in the classroom. Like once a month for some classes.
Oh, I see, jumping in here like this, we’re talking about European tuition rates. I’m curious now how this relates to UConn and a potential AAC GOR. Time to go back in time message board style I guess.

Reaction Score
The smart posters on here want to go back to the Big East. The not so smart posters on here want to stay in a bad conference because they believe someday our 1 win football will take us to the promised land.

Reaction Score
Oh, I see, jumping in here like this, we’re talking about European tuition rates. I’m curious now how this relates to UConn and a potential AAC GOR. Time to go back in time message board style I guess.

It stems from discussion of whether UConn admins see the school joining large state public institutions or smaller Catholic institutions. We're looking at the future of these institutions. What's the better bet?

Reaction Score
The smart posters on here want to go back to the Big East. The not so smart posters on here want to stay in a bad conference because they believe someday our 1 win football will take us to the promised land.

Either way we lose. The P5 will eventually destroy the non-P5.

Reaction Score
Jesus people we aren’t changing conferences for at least 6 years if we do at all. Don’t blow an artery

Reaction Score

Yeah you joke but who will be laughing when Paris Tech gets invited to the B1G before UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom