AAC 2nd TV Contract/Negotiations | Page 11 | The Boneyard

AAC 2nd TV Contract/Negotiations

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Look at Alabama. They get racist chicks from New Jersey to go there, these days.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
They just extended the deal for a decade.

The odds of this conference having a television contract in a decade are 50/50 at best.
What about in 12 years :p

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What about in 12 years :p

Right now, they have a contract.

I think every conference not named the Big Ten, ACC or PAC12 should not make a lot of concrete plans past 2023-25.

I still think we're going to lose a current conference in there.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

I think every conference not named the Big Ten, ACC or PAC12 should not make a lot of concrete plans past 2023-25.

Very much agree. And honestly PAC may be reconstructed in some form as well moving forward

Reaction Score
Soooo...UConn triples the media payout under the new contract from $2.16 million to $6.94 million...

And does not have to sign a GOR. All good things.

UConn received $8.088 million in 2016-17 from the conference with that sum including payments from the exit fees of the ACC defectors.

In effect, the new monies helps shield UConn from the loss of those exit fee payments and may result in a small total increase after that loss.

Do I have that right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At this point, I am hoping that ABC bundles ESPN+ and the pending ABC streaming service into a single package to save some money and time versus two seperate services. It's a forgone conclusion that subscription service is the direction that nearly everyone is going to.

Reaction Score

I would swap the SEC for the PAC in this scenario.

I believe the PAC could be in trouble if/when a next round of CR occurs. I've thought all along that the B1G would be interested in adding the 4 California schools when the time comes. They all fit academically (aside from the recent mess at USC) and, in addition to football and hoops, they provide a lot of Olympic sports programming for the B1G Network.

Do you think they are safe because of the geography?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think there will be too much instability in the cable/streaming media streaming market place to allow any changes ....unless new schools accept a junior level of revenue as part of the deal for a sustained period of time.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The annual money is disappointing. It's a similar feeling to going through a year-end comp review and your boss rates your year's performance very highly...then tells you that you are only getting a $500/yr raise. It's essentially what the new deal feels like. I thought each school would net $8M-$10M/yr. But no GOR is nice - or maybe not so nice depending on if this conference loses UCF/Houston/Memphis/Cincinnati (or another school with competitive football).

I haven't come across anything about whether or not the exit fees/conditions stay in tact or if they've been revised. If all things remained the same, the new deal guarantees that we will never leave the AAC unless it's to go P5. Just to have that conference certainty will help UConn move forward and rebuild competitive programs. I hope.

Reaction Score
I thought you folks might like these comments from The Sporting News:

"That breaks down [to] $6.94 million per year per AAC school, a jump of more than $5 million per year per school. By comparison, according to the San Jose Mercury News, the Pac-12 Networks, the Power 5 conference's own media home, paid out less than $3 million to each member school in 2018. Suffice it to say now, that's un-American. Yes, Pac-12, your idea of competing with the Big Ten and SEC networks now has you sliding behind a Group of Six conference."

ESPN just dropped $1 billion for the AAC media rights | Sporting News

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I thought you folks might like these comments from The Sporting News:

"That breaks down [to] $6.94 million per year per AAC school, a jump of more than $5 million per year per school. By comparison, according to the San Jose Mercury News, the Pac-12 Networks, the Power 5 conference's own media home, paid out less than $3 million to each member school in 2018. Suffice it to say now, that's un-American. Yes, Pac-12, your idea of competing with the Big Ten and SEC networks now has you sliding behind a Group of Six conference."

ESPN just dropped $1 billion for the AAC media rights | Sporting News

Feel good post of the year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The annual money is disappointing. It's a similar feeling to going through a year-end comp review and your boss rates your year's performance very highly...then tells you that you are only getting a $500/yr raise. It's essentially what the new deal feels like. I thought each school would net $8M-$10M/yr. But no GOR is nice - or maybe not so nice depending on if this conference loses UCF/Houston/Memphis/Cincinnati (or another school with competitive football).

I haven't come across anything about whether or not the exit fees/conditions stay in tact or if they've been revised. If all things remained the same, the new deal guarantees that we will never leave the AAC unless it's to go P5. Just to have that conference certainty will help UConn move forward and rebuild competitive programs. I hope.

If you thought the money was going to be be higher than this, you really, really, really, really, really were not paying enough attention. It's much better than I thought it would be.

The deal has no impact on whether we leave or not because there's 0.00000% chance we're leaving for anything other than a P5 deal. If anyone thinks the Big East is an option, they really, really, really, really, really, really are not paying enough attention.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If you thought the money was going to be be higher than this, you really, really, really, really, really were not paying enough attention. It's much better than I thought it would be.

The deal has no impact on whether we leave or not because there's 0.00000% chance we're leaving for anything other than a P5 deal. If anyone thinks the Big East is an option, they really, really, really, really, really, really are not paying enough attention.

Yeah, I thought it would be higher but not that much higher. I was thinking somewhere between the $8M-$10M/yr range; realistic floor expectation on the low end and the hopeful higher ceiling at the top end. I thought the conference footprint was big enough and had swallowed enough bigger markets to warrant slightly more money that what it got. But while the number is fairly disappointing for UConn, it's big money for everyone else other than Cincinnati, so I understand the ultimate landing point. I like the fact that there is no GOR; at least until the rumors start swirling about the Big 12 again.

I don't think the Big East is, was, or ever will be a viable option for UConn. The best thing about this new deal is that we will never have to debate it ever again...but I'm sure we will. Head bang

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Feel good post of the year.

Umm do they really not know the PAC 12 has other TV revenue.

No wonder people are so clueless - the ‘journalists’ are brain dead.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Umm do they really not know the PAC 12 has other TV revenue.

No wonder people are so clueless - the ‘journalists’ are brain dead.
And occasionally I am clueless.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And occasionally I am clueless.

It really says something about the Sporting News that nobody from the Pac 12 even bothered to correct them.

The PAC12 signed a deal that gets them 21 million each a year in 2011. Sure besides that 21 million from 8 years ago the AAC is on their heels.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The "I told you so" argument is irrelevant. This is not enough money for UConn athletics to survive.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The "I told you so" argument is irrelevant. This is not enough money for UConn athletics to survive.
Yet countless other programs continue and many would love to have our seat at the table.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom