AAC 2nd TV Contract/Negotiations | Page 10 | The Boneyard

AAC 2nd TV Contract/Negotiations

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can't see ESPN being unhappy about getting paid for the local broadcast rights (a la SNY in the northeast). National stuff is absolutely at risk.

Aresco should be shipped to Dallas on a rocket if he gives up the ability for locals to buy rights, in exchange for propping up ESPN+.

Also - it wouldn't make any sense for live sports to transition to ESPN+ exclusively. ESPN gets more revenue per cable subscriber than ESPN+ subscriber. Live sports is one of the few things propping up cable at all.

ESPN+ is what they have to develop to keep Wall Street happy. The analysits hammer Disney every quarter on the subs declining.

It has to be exclusive content or they would violate their contacts with the cable carriers.

Hadn’t thought about the inventory that gets sold to CBS or local RSNs. But yeah, that’s his only chance to show any movement in the dollar value of the contract so I’d suspect you should start building that rocket.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Orlando paper is like the AAC Pravda. Stunning Steve might be on the editorial staff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't they be, they are the hometown paper of the national champs by golly.

It’s fine just funny how hard they try and prop it up. Not exactly the job of newspapers in my mind, but it’s 2018 that ship has long sailed.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
ESPN+ is what they have to develop to keep Wall Street happy. The analysits hammer Disney every quarter on the subs declining.

It has to be exclusive content or they would violate their contacts with the cable carriers.

Hadn’t thought about the inventory that gets sold to CBS or local RSNs. But yeah, that’s his only chance to show any movement in the dollar value of the contract so I’d suspect you should start building that rocket.

This would be a theater of the absurd, if it happens.

ESPN would be pissing off myriad subscribers who already pay $7.50 a month to get them, in the hopes they can charge $5? They would be cannabalizing their own revenue and ticking partners off at the same time.

Out of market - total different ballgame. ESPN has probably taken too long to charge for it, but I’m biased as a local fan.

The only thing this would be for the AAC is a white flag - you may as well blow it up if they can’t monetize success at all, much less make it worse with online only taking any reasonable content.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This would be a theater of the absurd, if it happens.

ESPN would be pissing off myriad subscribers who already pay $7.50 a month to get them, in the hopes they can charge $5? They would be cannabalizing their own revenue and ticking partners off at the same time.

Out of market - total different ballgame. ESPN has probably taken too long to charge for it, but I’m biased as a local fan.

The only thing this would be for the AAC is a white flag - you may as well blow it up if they can’t monetize success at all, much less make it worse with online only taking any reasonable content.

Nobody but the AAC office, UCF athletic department and Orlando newspaper thinks the AAC has any success to monetize.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I dont know who this guy is, but I am encourage this report is coming from someone other than the usual clowns from MN and WV.
He's a Memphis radio host I believe. Memphis AD has a standing interview on their show every week

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Memphis being pleased with the new TV deal would be different than UConn being pleased. We came from different places to get here

they are going to say they are pleased if it’s half as much as the last

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Our future home.....(and fingers crossed we dont end up on ESPN+).

1550864667104.png

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn basketball is 7.38 times more prestigious than Navy football.

Why aren’t we negotiating a deal that keeps us from playing Sunday at 6 p.m. on an unrated network during an NFL Conference Championship game?

We have precedent. What are they going to do? Throw us out? Good luck with your non-Navy football, non-UConn basketball negotiations.

It might be time to stop monitoring the situation and start actually impacting it.

The top two things this Mickey Mouse organization is now selling is UConn men’s basketball and UConn women’s basketball. You can put them 1-2 in whichever order like. Time to act as if.

The amount that UConn is subsidizing the league’s deal is pretty annoying.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They just extended the deal for a decade.

The odds of this conference having a television contract in a decade are 50/50 at best.

We know know if there is a league... the contract exists!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom