AAC 2nd TV Contract/Negotiations

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
I can't see ESPN being unhappy about getting paid for the local broadcast rights (a la SNY in the northeast). National stuff is absolutely at risk.

Aresco should be shipped to Dallas on a rocket if he gives up the ability for locals to buy rights, in exchange for propping up ESPN+.

Also - it wouldn't make any sense for live sports to transition to ESPN+ exclusively. ESPN gets more revenue per cable subscriber than ESPN+ subscriber. Live sports is one of the few things propping up cable at all.
ESPN+ is what they have to develop to keep Wall Street happy. The analysits hammer Disney every quarter on the subs declining.

It has to be exclusive content or they would violate their contacts with the cable carriers.

Hadn’t thought about the inventory that gets sold to CBS or local RSNs. But yeah, that’s his only chance to show any movement in the dollar value of the contract so I’d suspect you should start building that rocket.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
The Orlando paper is like the AAC Pravda. Stunning Steve might be on the editorial staff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Why wouldn't they be, they are the hometown paper of the national champs by golly.
It’s fine just funny how hard they try and prop it up. Not exactly the job of newspapers in my mind, but it’s 2018 that ship has long sailed.

ESPN+ is what they have to develop to keep Wall Street happy. The analysits hammer Disney every quarter on the subs declining.

It has to be exclusive content or they would violate their contacts with the cable carriers.

Hadn’t thought about the inventory that gets sold to CBS or local RSNs. But yeah, that’s his only chance to show any movement in the dollar value of the contract so I’d suspect you should start building that rocket.
This would be a theater of the absurd, if it happens.

ESPN would be pissing off myriad subscribers who already pay $7.50 a month to get them, in the hopes they can charge $5? They would be cannabalizing their own revenue and ticking partners off at the same time.

Out of market - total different ballgame. ESPN has probably taken too long to charge for it, but I’m biased as a local fan.

The only thing this would be for the AAC is a white flag - you may as well blow it up if they can’t monetize success at all, much less make it worse with online only taking any reasonable content.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
This would be a theater of the absurd, if it happens.

ESPN would be pissing off myriad subscribers who already pay $7.50 a month to get them, in the hopes they can charge $5? They would be cannabalizing their own revenue and ticking partners off at the same time.

Out of market - total different ballgame. ESPN has probably taken too long to charge for it, but I’m biased as a local fan.

The only thing this would be for the AAC is a white flag - you may as well blow it up if they can’t monetize success at all, much less make it worse with online only taking any reasonable content.
Nobody but the AAC office, UCF athletic department and Orlando newspaper thinks the AAC has any success to monetize.