OT: - A real class act..... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: A real class act.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is she not treated different when she says she’s given several more drug tests than the other players

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is there anyone who believes Serena, a 23 time winner in the slams, has to cheat to win? That she really needs coaching in the middle of a match?

Apparently one who believes she does is her coach, who admitted coaching after the match and said everybody does and the rule should be changed. See Yardbarker. I deleted mine. He also wants the rules loosened up to allow the players more emotional demonstrations, to which I say BS.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While I am in the "Serena Deserved It" camp, I do think her coach should have backed up her story (true or not). You should expect a level of loyalty from your coach. The problem is that her coach is maybe too honest (she had issues with him before) and he is always ready to give out quotes (although I think his analysis is generally brilliant)

Tennis great Serena Williams needs a new coach

I am predicting a separation of coach and player.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Is she not treated different when she says she’s given several more drug tests than the other players

Williams is tested more because of her therapeutic use exemption, and the fact she's a top ranked player.

The top men are tested as often. Lower ranked players are tested less often. If she wants to be tested less often, she needs to lose more, and give up her "therapeutic use exemption."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Regardless of Serena’s race, gender and family background, what I saw was a spoiled brat getting her *ss beat on the biggest stage in a match she was supposed to win and then be celebrated as the GOAT. But since she’s getting her *ss beat in a match she apparently feels she’s entitled to win - just because she’s the great Serena - she throws a fit and creates a situation where she can play the victim and deflect the attention away from her not being the best player that day, and deflect the attention away from the deserving winner’s great play to herself and the persecution of poor little Serena.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The problem seems to have started with the officials being inconsistent wether to enforce not coaching from the sidelines

Nonsense. He was officiating a single match. He saw a player violating the rules. Serena is awesome, both as a player and as a person, but she was wildly out of line. Even good people make bad decisions. She did, and she should own it.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Your all right just take emotions out of sports just play like robots .thats what I want to see

upload_2018-9-9_12-39-32.png

Reaction Score
Nonsense. He was officiating a single match. Only one player violated the rules. Serena is awesome, both as a player and as a person, but she was wildly out of line. Even good people make bad decisions. She did, and she should own it.
Did you hear the Announcers Pam Shriver and Chrissie Everett said coaches coach in matches all the tine but rarely called , I’m guessing you didn’t since you said you only watched the highlights so I think you were better off when you were stepping away cause you didn’t know what you talking about keep it up .

Reaction Score
While I am in the "Serena Deserved It" camp, I do think her coach should have backed up her story (true or not). You should expect a level of loyalty from your coach. The problem is that her coach is maybe too honest (she had issues with him before) and he is always ready to give out quotes (although I think his analysis is generally brilliant)

Tennis great Serena Williams needs a new coach

I am predicting a separation of coach and player.
So you are encouraging people to lie Just I thought do what is best for you at cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Did you hear the Announcers Pam Shriver and Chrissie Everett said coaches coach in matches all the tine but rarely called , I’m guessing you didn’t since you said you only watched the highlights so I think you were better off when you were stepping away cause you didn’t know what you talking about keep it up .

It's a stupid rule, but he was coaching, and admitted it. If Serena's argument was her opponent's coach was also coaching, she'd possibly have a point. But that wasn't her argument.

She said it never happened, but it did. Everything that followed, was entirely her doing.

Reaction Score
My point is they don’t call it so call it all the time or get rid of the rule do we know that Osaka’s coach wasn’t coaching

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My point is they don’t call it so call it all the time or get rid of the rule do we know that Osaka’s coach wasn’t coaching

That's an argument for before or after the match. At face value, it appears Serena didn't care until it affected her. Somewhere, Martin Niemöller is saying "I told you so."

Reaction Score
Whether the umpire should have done what he did or not the fact is Serena Williams chose to respond the way she did to his actions. That is 100% on her- his actions didn't "make" her lose her ****, she chose to lose it. I've never had any sympathy with or respect for an athlete who throws a tantrum. Tantrums are for toddlers not adults.

And as for the sexism/racism bull spit, this isn't the first time a top ranked player has been penalized this way during a Grand Slam:

It is Serena Williams who owes an apology to umpire Carlos Ramos

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Osaka clearly outplayed her, but it wasn't a good look for the US Open/game today. Unfortunate because Osaka really deserved all the accolades. Granted, if Osaka really wanted to avoid the controversy, she could have refused the Serena penalty and the powers be would have probably accepted to avoid a greater controversy.

You have got to be kidding. THERE IS NO WAY Osaka should be expected or even considered to play a part in the solution, mitigation, lessoning, or minimizing of the incident, no matter how minute. That's just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
She was losing, and was going to lose. Typical of Serena to "change the subject" in the midst of getting beaten. A real champion would consider his/her opponent, and show respect for that opponent. That never crosses Serena's mind; it's always been all about her. I found her weak attempt at sportsmanship during the awards ceremony disgusting. That the best woman player of all time would conduct herself this way when she's getting bested is sad, both for her and for tennis. What is , perhaps, even sadder is the support she has received after conducting herself the way she did.

Reaction Score
I'm not a big tennis fan by any means but I recognize Serena's greatness. As a passive observer, I wanted to see her win. Sort of like rooting for Tiger, although I'm not a golf fan, either. Serena had a right to be angry, I guess, since rules are not always rules. I get that. But in my profession we teach children and adults that sometimes you just have to walk away and "let go". This is not any easy thing to do but had Serena just accepted the warning, like it or not, we wouldn't be having this discussion today. However, she exacerbated the situation not once, but twice, resulting in the loss of a game. In a NYT article this morning Naomi states that she was confused about what was going on and was surprised to see the 5-3 score in her favor following Serena's meltdown. To expect a young shy, relatively inexperienced 20-year-old to have requested the judge change the score is just ridiculous. As a passive observer, I'm left with the image of a young champion in tears, apologizing to the booing crowd for beating her idol. Really? To Serena's credit, she tried to calm the crowd down but she bears some responsibility for its actions. A joyous moment stolen from a young player. The crowd booing as she tried to hide her tears with a towel. This is what I'll remember.
I truly love your points and often to avoid things getting worse it is best to just walk away.
How you will remember this I fully understand and feel and felt the horribleness of that for Naomi, who absolutely should have been able to cherish maybe the best moment of her life.
My only difference, is there are times for a variety of reasons, that one can not or will not do that.
As I write my comments and try and express my feelings I'm constantly reminded about the general lack of following rules, decorum, swallowing things in our society today. Some of this needs to be looked at through our leaders and the manner in which they behave and are role models. But I'm also struck about the unfairness of outcomes as some go high and others go low and who wins. And I'm not talking about the importance of a tennis match or basketball game.
But what's very telling and very obvious to me, is who is losing?
If one sometimes continues to walk away, do the classy, gracious thing, swallow it, act like the adult in the room, there might be little or nothing left WORTH standing up for.
I am not being overly dramatic! Not being able to be political here, I must state it in general oblique terms.
We are in a time where one needs to decide when to stand up for what they feel is right! Maybe in this case you see it differently than I do. But we don't have the luxury of always walking away and taking the high road.
Again your comments touched me with your thoughtfulness.
Bronx23

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I have witnessed (once in person) several prior Serena outbursts where I would have agreed with the negative views of her being expressed here but not this time.

First, I think chair umpire showed extremely bad judgment to give official warning to Serena on the coaching violation regardless of what Patrick Mouratoglou, her coach, admittedly was trying to signal to her because this was second set of a grand slam final and this violation is exceedingly rarely called even though coaching of this type is exceedingly common.

Second, chair umpire showed even worse judgment in taking away a game from Serena that thereby left her opponent one game away from winning the championship where Serena did not even use foul language.

Third, I will add that, in my view and it’s a view which I understand is not universal, there is no way a male player of a stature in the game equivalent to Serena Williams (and that really means only Federer) would have been formally warned for the coaching violation, much less had the penultimate game of a grand slam final awarded to his opponent for a verbal outburst that did not include any swearing.

Fourth, I think Serena showed great control in not simply walking away after the tournament referee refused to overrule the chair umpire decision to take away a game from her particularly when apparently many in her box were urging her to do just that.

Last, Serena showed class and dignity at the awards ceremony by telling the crowd to stop booing and to celebrate Naomi Osaka especially when, whatever one’s view of the merits, Serena clearly continued to believe in her own mind she had been unfairly and inequitably treated.

VH, you speak my thoughts. Thank you. There was little to no evidence that Serena even saw whatever signal was being sent to her. And if you think pro tennis doesn’t have a history of discrimination against women and minorities, please think again. I’m not particularly a Serena fan. But this referee’s actions were egregious.

Reaction Score
I have witnessed (once in person) several prior Serena outbursts where I would have agreed with the negative views of her being expressed here but not this time.

First, I think chair umpire showed extremely bad judgment to give official warning to Serena on the coaching violation regardless of what Patrick Mouratoglou, her coach, admittedly was trying to signal to her because this was second set of a grand slam final and this violation is exceedingly rarely called even though coaching of this type is exceedingly common.

Second, chair umpire showed even worse judgment in taking away a game from Serena that thereby left her opponent one game away from winning the championship where Serena did not even use foul language.

Third, I will add that, in my view and it’s a view which I understand is not universal, there is no way a male player of a stature in the game equivalent to Serena Williams (and that really means only Federer) would have been formally warned for the coaching violation, much less had the penultimate game of a grand slam final awarded to his opponent for a verbal outburst that did not include any swearing.

Fourth, I think Serena showed great control in not simply walking away after the tournament referee refused to overrule the chair umpire decision to take away a game from her particularly when apparently many in her box were urging her to do just that.

Last, Serena showed class and dignity at the awards ceremony by telling the crowd to stop booing and to celebrate Naomi Osaka especially when, whatever one’s view of the merits, Serena clearly continued to believe in her own mind she had been unfairly and inequitably treated.

I disagree with your attempt at spin ....yeah, redirect the blame toward the chair umpire who was doing his job and is reputable, honored, and very experienced. [I highly doubt the umpire was being consciously sexist toward Serena...but I can't speak to his inner thoughts, subconscious biases, leanings if any, etc.. In any event, Serena's on court words and behavior in the US Open finals is not the manner, method, time, or place to address the sexism issue]

Just because Serena behaved more civilized at the awards ceremony (and post match press conference) doesn't change the horrible things she did during the match. Serena was so wrong in so many ways.

Just because Serena didn't use one or more swear words doesn't lessen what she did. Her behavior and overreaction was incredibly unprofessional and way over the top, and not just because of the racket slam. Her highly aggressive, prolonged, intense, berating and bullying of the chair umpire was the worst I've seen in a long while. Talk about poor sportsmanship....wow. She made the finals all about her and tried to use the sexism card, rather than allowing the event to be about the amazing performance of Osaka which should have been 100% of the story. She selfishly denied Osaka the right to be properly honored in what should only have been a hugely positive, life changing event for the young woman. Serena did much more than taint the event and the memory of it forever, she soiled it and spoiled it with her lack of self-control. I feel very bad for Osaka who is the BIGGEST AND MOST INNOCENT victim here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seattle is lucky to be playing in the finals. If Sue Bird had been treated the way Serena was by the judge, she would have been assessed a technical foul or tossed in the 4th quarter of the final game with Phoenix. She certainly gave the referees cause to penalize her. Diana Taurasi asked the referees why Sue Bird was getting special treatment.

Just as they let Seattle and Phoenix settle the series on the court and ignored Sue's emotional outburst, they should have let Serena and Naomi settle it on the court as well.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Playing best three out of five sets would be to Serena's advantage.
I t probably would be to her advantage. But the point is moot as she does not set the rules of women's tennis. the whole thing was a mess, and took away from the integrity of the match and the sport. Unfortunate and avoidable. The kid played well and deserved the win.

Reaction Score
Has Serena apologized to her fans and all the young girls who look up to her for her outburst? If she does, I will give her back some character points, but if not, she lost a lot with that disgraceful action. Congratulations to Naomi Osaka for her win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom