OT: - A real class act..... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: A real class act.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There really isn't anything worse than calling a referee "a thief". One is in essence calling them a "cheat". Calling them incompetent, and idiot, blind, a jerk, etc. is one thing, but to question their integrity is a big old line to cross. In some sports that's a direct dismissal right there.

The chair should have ejected her.
Completely outrageous. This is not her first time pulling these antics. We remember her tirade against a meek lines women over a foot fault. Common demonator she was being out played by Kim clijesters and lost it. What makes me really mad is she’s smart enough to pull out the female card in an attempt to save face.

Anyways I think she’s a major away from most majors all time... good luck

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It is one official’s opinion. I’ve had other officials tell me that they consider other types of remarks far more egregious: specifically racist, homophobic, sexually inappropriate, demeaning family members , etc.
Ehhh, it's what is taught in classes. So it's pretty much universal, at least in the soccer world.

I have previously indicated that Serena was out of line with her reaction, but my primary point was that if the referee had issued a soft warning to Serena as well as over the P.A. System to the coach’s box, rather than issuing a code violation for coaching, which almost all elite tennis players subsequently indicated occurs all the time, maybe, just maybe, that’s the end of it.
Or if Williams had just shut up and played, that would have been the end of it too.

Reaction Score
25 men were fined

10 women were fined

The argument she was treated differently because she's a woman, has no basis in fact.

That won't deter her or her supporters unfortunately. Talk about embarrassing your sport...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ehhh, it's what is taught in classes. So it's pretty much universal, at least in the soccer world.

You were a soccer ref? Hell, I thought we were talking about a real sport like football, baseball or basketball...;)

Or if Williams had just shut up and played, that would have been the end of it too.

That really is a bit harsh. All players have the right to question a referee's call. As I said, Serena went overboard, but there's no reason to overreact by making such a belligerent remark.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That really is a bit harsh. All players have the right to question a referee's call.

Serena was not penalized for questioning a call. She was penalized for abusive behavior.

And I don't know of many sports where the player has a right to argue with a ref. Questioning a call is asking, "are you sure?"

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Serena was not penalized for questioning a call. She was penalized for abusive behavior.

And I don't know of many sports where the player has a right to argue with a ref. Questioning a call is asking, "are you sure?"
I don't disagree. What I do not like is the suggestion that she should have just, "shut up and played." The tone of that remark is both angry and confrontational. In essence, it is a reaction to Serena's behavior in the same manner that Serena reacted to the umpire's original call.

There are a couple hundred better ways to express that thought. How about, "Serena should have tried to calm herself down and focus on playing her opponent." Doesn't that sound better, less reactionary and probably the way that you would speak to someone in a reasonable manner?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I don't disagree. What I do not like is the suggestion that she should have just, "shut up and played." The tone of that remark is both angry and confrontational. In essence, it is a reaction to Serena's behavior in the same manner that Serena reacted to the umpire's original call.

There are a couple hundred better ways to express that thought. How about, "Serena should have tried to calm herself down and focus on playing her opponent." Doesn't that sound better, less reactionary and probably the way that you would speak to someone in a reasonable manner?

You say potato, Myers said patato. If it was said to her directly, I agree it would have been a bit too much.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't understand the point of the above video except that it seems to be a red herring regarding Serena's behavior. Some male players smashing rackets or chewing out refs (mainly McEnroe), plus one clubbing himself in the face. Are they trying to exonerate her? Point out that male players have behaved poorly in the past, or suggest that female players haven't? I mean the word "men" is in all caps and highlighted red so I figure they're the villain of the piece, but I'm not sure what it has to do with Serena's actions.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the point of the above video except that it seems to be a red herring regarding Serena's behavior. Some male players smashing rackets or chewing out refs (mainly McEnroe), plus one clubbing himself in the face. Are they trying to exonerate her? Point out that male players have behaved poorly in the past, or suggest that female players haven't? I mean the word "men" is in all caps and highlighted red so I figure they're the villain of the piece, but I'm not sure what it has to do with Serena's actions.
Dig deep - it'll come to you.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
4. Serena is already the most drug tested athlete on the tour. She has recently been informed that the outfit she wore at the French Open will no longer be allowed. She got seriously jobbed at the US Open in 2004, got called for a dubious foot fault at a critical juncture in 2009, had point taken away at a critical juncture for screaming while hitting a clear winner in 2011. Enough is enough.

I agree with much of your post, but not with parts of point 4. There is absolutely no excuse for the way Serena threatened the line judge who called her for the foot fault in 2009. None. And the hindrance call in the Stosur match was correct: Serena screamed out when Stosur still had a play on the ball, and in fact she got her racket on it.

But yes, the egregious line call in 2004 (actually, an overrule that was mysteriously never announced) was by far the single worst call I have ever seen in all my years of watching tennis. So much so that it became the impetus for implementation of the challenge system.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Had the weak tennis organization nipped it in the bud, there would be no Serena situation. Why no one didn't pound out McEnroe was always a mystery to me. McEnroe and Connors behavior caused me to not watch tennis.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
That really is a bit harsh. All players have the right to question a referee's call. As I said, Serena went overboard, but there's no reason to overreact by making such a belligerent remark.

So if "shut up and played" is a "bit harsh" growing into a "belligerent remark," then how do you classify Serena remarks?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Eh, I don't think they have a "right". They take it, and refs let them get away with it, but I don't believe there are any rights to question calls and argue with refs. Other than the challenges with Hawk-eye (which really doesn't apply here).

Oh, and I do not consider it belligerent at all. Maybe you've never played sports before??

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So if "shut up and played" is a "bit harsh" growing into a "belligerent remark," then how do you classify Serena remarks?
If you notice in my response to temery’s post, I equate Serena’s remarks with Meyers7 “shut up and played” remark.

Reaction Score
Had the weak tennis organization nipped it in the bud, there would be no Serena situation. Why no one didn't pound out McEnroe was always a mystery to me. McEnroe and Connors behavior caused me to not watch tennis.
Strongly agree. I was at the infamous McEnroe/Nastase night match back in the '80s when both players started acting badly. Eventually. the chair umpire, Frank Hammond, I believe considered one of the best of that era, began calling penalties on both players, one of whom called for the tournament referee. Perhaps influenced in part by an extremely unruly crowd (I remember being quite embarrassed by the behavior of not just the players but the crowd as well,) his response to requests by both players that Hammond be removed, was to replace Hammond, rather than support him.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Eh, I don't think they have a "right". They take it, and refs let them get away with it, but I don't believe there are any rights to question calls and argue with refs. Other than the challenges with Hawk-eye (which really doesn't apply here).

Oh, and I do not consider it belligerent at all. Maybe you've never played sports before??
Actually, you’re incorrect. The rules of tennis have a procedure in place for a player to challenge an umpire’s decision. Subsequently, if the player is not satisfied with the umpire’s decision they are allowed to appeal that decision to the tournament referee, which is exactly what happened in Serena’s match. While the ruling was not overturned, Serena was well within her rights to question the decision.

I assure you I’ve played and coached several sports through college and beyond. You claim to be a soccer referee. When a player disputed one of your calls, have you ever told them to “shut up and play?”

Reaction Score

I agree. If the various tournaments and the ATP had had the guts to hammer those two (Ilie Nastase too) right from the start tennis would be a much better game today. Controversy sells though and they chickened out.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
If you notice in my response to temery’s post, I equate Serena’s remarks with Meyers7 “shut up and played” remark.
I did notice and Serene's remarks went way beyond shut up and play.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I did notice and Serene's remarks went way beyond shut up and play.
So if you did notice my post equating the two sets of remarks, why in the world did you feel it necessary to then ask me how I classified Serena’s remarks? Were you simply trolling for a response so that you could disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom