OT: - A real class act..... | The Boneyard

OT: A real class act.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess she plans to sue the ref for the difference in pay between the winner and runner up. ;)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Osaka clearly outplayed her, but it wasn't a good look for the US Open/game today. Unfortunate because Osaka really deserved all the accolades. Granted, if Osaka really wanted to avoid the controversy, she could have refused the Serena penalty and the powers be would have probably accepted to avoid a greater controversy.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Osaka clearly outplayed her, but it wasn't a good look for the US Open/game today. Unfortunate because Osaka really deserved all the accolades. Granted, if Osaka really wanted to avoid the controversy, she could have refused the Serena penalty and the powers be would have probably accepted to avoid a greater controversy.

No way should Osaka show up the officials like that (or be asked to be put in a position to do that) .

The scale of this controversy is ultimately in Serena's hands and she can diffuse it if she wants to.

Reaction Score

There is no way in the world a shy inexperienced player could try to over-rule the umpire. Serena got what she deserved. If this was a baseball game Serena would have been long gone.

Then Serena has the gall to claim sexism at the press conference. Serena, smashed her racket, was coached and verbally abused the umpire. This has nothing to do with the men.

Reaction Score
Again, I'm not defending Serena. It's a lose-lose situation for the Women's Tennis game.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It is much easier to be a gracious winner than a gracious loser.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game so no position to say who is right but,

Reaction Score
Her coach admitted he was signaling her (which is a rule violation) so her "team" was cheating. And Serena demanded an apology from the umpire. She was wrong and got what she deserved. Unfortunately, the incident overshadowed the great play of Naomi Oasaka.

I can’t agree more.

Reaction Score
1. Serena was outplayed.
2. Serena got robbed.
3. Serena might have lost anyway, but we have seen her battle back countless times. At the time of the match penalty, they were on serve, basically tied. anyone's match.

How was Serena robbed? Again, Serena smashed her racket, her coach sent signals, and she demanded an apology from the umpire when he was right. Then she gave the umpire #@%& and it was her "team" that cheated.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
How was Serena robbed? Again, Serena smashed her racket, her coach sent signals, and she demanded an apology from the umpire when he was right. Then she gave the umpire #@%& and it was her "team" that cheated.

1. Racket abuse, no dispute
2. Coaching? Is there anyone who believes Serena, a 23 time winner in the slams, has to cheat to win? That she really needs coaching in the middle of a match? If the call had been made previously against Serena and her coach, or if it is a commonly enforced infraction, or if it was an infraction that had been enforced in previous majors against other players, then I have no argument. However, that call at that moment was unprecedented. That was not the moment for the chair umpire to insert himself into this match.
3. To add insult to the injury he caused, the chair umpire, rather than walk away, rather than try to temper the situation, assesses a game penalty. For what?
4. Serena is already the most drug tested athlete on the tour. She has recently been informed that the outfit she wore at the French Open will no longer be allowed. She got seriously jobbed at the US Open in 2004, got called for a dubious foot fault at a critical juncture in 2009, had point taken away at a critical juncture for screaming while hitting a clear winner in 2011. Enough is enough.

Reaction Score
I have witnessed (once in person) several prior Serena outbursts where I would have agreed with the negative views of her being expressed here but not this time.

First, I think chair umpire showed extremely bad judgment to give official warning to Serena on the coaching violation regardless of what Patrick Mouratoglou, her coach, admittedly was trying to signal to her because this was second set of a grand slam final and this violation is exceedingly rarely called even though coaching of this type is exceedingly common.

Second, chair umpire showed even worse judgment in taking away a game from Serena that thereby left her opponent one game away from winning the championship where Serena did not even use foul language.

Third, I will add that, in my view and it’s a view which I understand is not universal, there is no way a male player of a stature in the game equivalent to Serena Williams (and that really means only Federer) would have been formally warned for the coaching violation, much less had the penultimate game of a grand slam final awarded to his opponent for a verbal outburst that did not include any swearing.

Fourth, I think Serena showed great control in not simply walking away after the tournament referee refused to overrule the chair umpire decision to take away a game from her particularly when apparently many in her box were urging her to do just that.

Last, Serena showed class and dignity at the awards ceremony by telling the crowd to stop booing and to celebrate Naomi Osaka especially when, whatever one’s view of the merits, Serena clearly continued to believe in her own mind she had been unfairly and inequitably treated.

Reaction Score
1. Racket abuse, no dispute
2. Coaching? Is there anyone who believes Serena, a 23 time winner in the slams, has to cheat to win? That she really needs coaching in the middle of a match? If the call had been made previously against Serena and her coach, or if it is a commonly enforced infraction, or if it was an infraction that had been enforced in previous majors against other players, then I have no argument. However, that call at that moment was unprecedented. That was not the moment for the chair umpire to insert himself into this match.
3. To add insult to the injury he caused, the chair umpire, rather than walk away, rather than try to temper the situation, assesses a game penalty. For what?
4. Serena is already the most drug tested athlete on the tour. She has recently been informed that the outfit she wore at the French Open will no longer be allowed. She got seriously jobbed at the US Open in 2004, got called for a dubious foot fault at a critical juncture in 2009, had point taken away at a critical juncture for screaming while hitting a clear winner in 2011. Enough is enough.

2 Serena was losing and her coach signaled her to go to the net. Yes, she needed coaching today.

3 For what? Verbal abuse, any other player would have been defaulted. There is no way Naomi could have done the same thing without the same or worse repercussions

4 So what. Playing the victim card is getting old. If Serena wants equality with the men then play 5 sets in 90+ degrees and 60%+ humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom