OT: - A real class act..... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: A real class act.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Serena was not penalized for questioning a call. She was penalized for abusive behavior.

And I don't know of many sports where the player has a right to argue with a ref. Questioning a call is asking, "are you sure?"

I hate the finger pointing by Serena too. Pointing her finger at the chair. Argh.
Ok we’ve beat this one to death.

She’s wrong , needs to clean up her act. Should be reprimanded. Time for me to move on and talk hoops.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
You say potato, Myers said patato. If it was said to her directly, I agree it would have been a bit too much.
Meyers has always had trouble with his vowel sounds. Kinda like a Kiwi. he should get some help from Vowelguy! ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Latest wrinkle. After all is said and done, Serena seemed to do Naomi a big favor. ;)

"Naomi Osaka is reportedly set to sign Adidas' biggest deal with a female athlete — and it could make her one of the highest-paid women in sports"

A deal worth $8.5 million annually could be announced Thursday, according to The Times

Naomi Osaka is reportedly set to sign Adidas' biggest deal with a female athlete — and it could make her one of the highest-paid women in sports

I can't even imagine how popular she must be in Japan

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some interesting info regarding the booing and what Osaka was thinking.

Here's one: " Osaka admitted that she thought the crowd might have been booing at her during the match. "At the time, I did kind of think they were booing at me," she said. "I couldn’t tell what was going on because it was just so loud in there, so it was a little bit stressful."

U.S. Open Champ Osaka Reveals Serena Williams Said She Was "Proud" of Her During Match

Going to buy her parents a TV with her winnings. That's got to be one crazy TV!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some interesting info regarding the booing and what Osaka was thinking.

Here's one: " Osaka admitted that she thought the crowd might have been booing at her during the match. "At the time, I did kind of think they were booing at me," she said. "I couldn’t tell what was going on because it was just so loud in there, so it was a little bit stressful."

U.S. Open Champ Osaka Reveals Serena Williams Said She Was "Proud" of Her During Match

Going to buy her parents a TV with her winnings. That's got to be one crazy TV!

Actually. Ellen gave her a 65" TV so she does not even need to dip into her winnings. :)

Also Ellen giving Naomi some major agita by texting her crush Michael B. Jordan. :):)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hate the finger pointing by Serena too. Pointing her finger at the chair. Argh.
Ok we’ve beat this one to death.

She’s wrong , needs to clean up her act. Should be reprimanded. Time for me to move on and talk hoops.

A report of Refs considering boycott of Serena's matches. Anonymous sources kind of stuff. Doubt anything comes of it, though maybe it will spark a union effort.

Tennis Umpires Reportedly Considering Serena Williams Boycott

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A report of Refs considering boycott of Serena's matches. Anonymous sources kind of stuff. Doubt anything comes of it, though maybe it will spark a union effort.

Tennis Umpires Reportedly Considering Serena Williams Boycott
I’m sure that if the tennis refs all strike, tennis tournaments everywhere will have a really hard time finding people to sit in lifeguard chairs and announce the scores of the match over a P.A. system, which is about 98% of their job. :rolleyes:

Or, even better, the matches can be officiated like the vast majority of HS, College and tennis club matches everywhere....by the players actually playing the match. :cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I’m sure that if the tennis refs all strike, tennis tournaments everywhere will have a really hard time finding people to sit in lifeguard chairs and announce the scores of the match over a P.A. system, which is about 98% of their job. :rolleyes:

Or, even better, the matches can be officiated like the vast majority of HS, College and tennis club matches everywhere....by the players actually playing the match. :cool:

Shoot.... ......... I could ref..... just gimme half the money that these crybaby refs get paid....... transportation, lodging, and an food expense account.. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
HoNo, seriously, I think they are jus

Ho Ho John McEnroe! Could be very entertaining.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ho Ho John McEnroe! Could be very entertaining.

I will admit, refs back in the day had a lot of patience and ability to hold their emotions in check. The way punks like Connors and a few others used to spout off...I'm kinda suprised that none of them asked them for a face to face meeting after the match. Perhaps they did....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The umpires are the crybabies?

Yes... if they are gonna boycott over this... then yes. Plenty of crybabies around in tennis..... players, and now looks like some umpires

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This would be dumb. They need to not lower themselves and just keep doing their jobs. Boycotting will only give Serena apologists ammunition.

I suspect you are right. Bruised egos. Cooler heads will prevail. Or maybe Serena will buy them all a Mercedes?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Latest wrinkle. After all is said and done, Serena seemed to do Naomi a big favor. ;)

"Naomi Osaka is reportedly set to sign Adidas' biggest deal with a female athlete — and it could make her one of the highest-paid women in sports"

A deal worth $8.5 million annually could be announced Thursday, according to The Times

Naomi Osaka is reportedly set to sign Adidas' biggest deal with a female athlete — and it could make her one of the highest-paid women in sports

I can't even imagine how popular she must be in Japan

Just saw this.

Naomi Osaka, US Open winner, signs with Nissan as 'brand ambassador'

Osaka will be so huge in Japan

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually, you’re incorrect. The rules of tennis have a procedure in place for a player to challenge an umpire’s decision. Subsequently, if the player is not satisfied with the umpire’s decision they are allowed to appeal that decision to the tournament referee, which is exactly what happened in Serena’s match. While the ruling was not overturned, Serena was well within her rights to question the decision.

I assure you I’ve played and coached several sports through college and beyond. You claim to be a soccer referee. When a player disputed one of your calls, have you ever told them to “shut up and play?”
Let's be clear here, I did not tell her to shut up and play. I suggested it would have been in her best interest to do that. Obviously she was not bright enough to do that and it cost her. As it should have. Somebody should have told her that. It would have helped.

And if you read my post accurately, I was not incorrect.

I highly doubt you've played or coached much (if any) if you've never come across "shut up and play".

Last edited by a moderator:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Meyers - only one thing I disagree with. I think she is bright enough, it's just that she feels "entitled enough" to get away with acting the brat.

I don't follow tennis, but I wonder, do any low ranked players behave like that?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
When I saw the title. I thought this thread was about Napheesa Collier. :) Now there is a class act!!! Even Dawn Staley has said so.

"Napheesa I've had a number of opportunities to coach her on USA Basketball teams and a solid citizen," Staley said on Thursday at NCAA women's basketball media day at ESPN. "I've never received a thank you card from any player that I've coached but she did that and that shows the true character of a person when they can do something like that. I love coaching Napheesa ..."

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Meyers - only one thing I disagree with. I think she is bright enough, it's just that she feels "entitled enough" to get away with acting the brat.

I don't follow tennis, but I wonder, do any low ranked players behave like that?

Yes, but low ranked players have far fewer opportunities because they often lose earlier in the tournament, and play fewer matches. And unfortunately, early round are not well attended, and are rarely televised, so some rules governing behavior aren't enforced as consistently.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was curious to see if Serena and Naomi may meet in the 2018 WTA Finals. Top 8 ranked get in and 2 alternates
Hosted in Singapore so Naomi has a clear advantage (or perhaps disadvantage with too much pressure?)

upload_2018-9-14_16-44-43.png

As of this moment, Naomi is in (ranked 4) and Serena is out (ranked 11) based on the latest wikipedia update at

2018 WTA Finals - Wikipedia

If I read this correctly, Serena has no more tournaments scheduled in which she could move up so unless their is some massive injury event, no meeting until next year is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom