A.J. Reeves | Page 5 | The Boneyard

A.J. Reeves

Reaction Score
It still doesn't add up. Three years ago, we won a title, our fourth. For kids being recruited, they only know UConn as a brand. Up to a year ago, Ollie was getting praise from the likes of Durant, Lebron, even Iverson. This past season was difficult, but the record is easily justified by injury. Transfers are an epidemic, it's happening to almost very program. I can even buy Miller's departure causing Mal's decommit and maybe, but doubtfully, damaging our relationship's in the northeast. But I still don't buy it. Chillious was a great hire that should overcompensate Miller's departure. I don't get it. The narrative hasn't changed. UConn still should be able to recruit. This all leads me to believe it's far greater than narrative. I am fearful that it's much worse than narrative.

When a big chunk of your fanbase and much of the basketball public thinks you're going to be fired next year, the narrative is pretty simple to see.

The kids who commit to UConn are going to be kids comfortable with the idea that they are committing to UConn and not necessarily to a team coached by Kevin Ollie.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
When a big chunk of your fanbase and much of the basketball public thinks you're going to be fired next year, the narrative is pretty simple to see.

The kids who commit to UConn are going to be kids comfortable with the idea that they are committing to UConn and not necessarily to a team coached by Kevin Ollie.
I don't believe this whatsoever. He would have to strip naked on the sideline to get fired next year. Or watch another mass exodus of players after the season.

Reaction Score
I don't believe this whatsoever. He would have to strip naked on the sideline to get fired next year. Or watch another mass exodus of players after the season.

I'm talking about the narrative, what is being said about him.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about the narrative, what is being said about him.
Thats a weak narrative that any good coach could overcome. Ollie, can and should be able to lock down a top 15 class every year. I am not buying one bit this narrative that the brand is being tarnished by negative recruiting by other coaches. No way does Mick Cronin telling a kid Ollie may get fired next year cause this program to fall off the cliff as it has.

Reaction Score
You can bet anything that this is being said by people recruiting against UConn.
I am sure it is. It still doesn't explain the current state of our program.

pj

Reaction Score
You can bet anything that this is being said by people recruiting against UConn.

And KO can say, look, I've won a national championship. The only modern-era coaches to win a national championship at a younger age than me are Bobby Knight and Jim Valvano - both legendary coaches. I just got a multi-year extension of my contract a few months ago. I'm a UConn guy through and through. I'm not going anywhere and I'm not getting fired. And, by the way, if you want to speak to the Athletic Director about it, I can arrange that.

When opposing coaches say things that are obviously wrong, they look silly as well as mean-spirited. KO can turn that negative recruiting against them.

Reaction Score
I am sure it is. It still doesn't explain the current state of our program.

Look at Indiana's class last year. The word gets out.

Indiana brought in four 2-star players in the last two years.
Worse, of the top 15 players in the state of Indiana (a state legendary for basketball, and home state rabid fans), not a single one committed to Indiana, even though they had a huge need.

pj

Reaction Score
Look at Indiana's class last year. The word gets out.

Indiana brought in four 2-star players in the last two years.
Worse, of the top 15 players in the state of Indiana (a state legendary for basketball, and home state rabid fans), not a single one committed to Indiana, even though they had a huge need.

Yes, and that's why I hate all the negative nancies on this board who have no faith in KO. They create a negative aura that is damaging, even if baseless.

Reaction Score
Thats a weak narrative that any good coach could overcome. Ollie, can and should be able to lock down a top 15 class every year. I am not buying one bit this narrative that the brand is being tarnished by negative recruiting by other coaches. No way does Mick Cronin telling a kid Ollie may get fired next year cause this program to fall off the cliff as it has.
Not sure how you expect top 15 classes from AAC schools. We had our time at the top, but it may never come back. Big money ruined college sports.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I don't think it'll take that much. Things are trending down in the recruiting world for us, so another bad incoming freshman class in 2018 along with another NIT (or worse) season and I'd be willing to bet Ollie's gone, or at the very least it's strongly considered.

C

Chief00

Just strange to see you writing about this firing considering you crapped all over Glen every chance you could?:rolleyes:
That's not a correct conclusion from my various posts. Repeatedly I have said Miller's termination was necessary but it was executed poorly. In other posts I went into detail how it could have been done better.

Reaction Score
That's not a correct conclusion from my various posts. Repeatedly I have said Miller's termination was necessary but it was executed poorly. In other posts I went into detail how it could have been done better.

When you let go a colleague, friend and mentor I am sure at one point, its never done correctly how can it be? Take him out to dinner, his favorite restaurant and say "How was the meal? Great, oh yeah don't need you anymore but we can still come here together"

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
When you let go a colleague, friend and mentor I am sure at one point, its never done correctly how can it be? Take him out to dinner, his favorite restaurant and say "How was the meal? Great, oh yeah don't need you anymore but we can still come here together"
It goes better if Enya is played in the background and wine is served at the table.

Chief did want Miller to go. It's his opinion it wasn't handled well. I'm with you. No one who has been a long time employee takes a sudden dismissal well. And it's also possible several people in the program didn't either. Firings have negative consequences even when it's obvious someone should be dismissed. Miller was more in the gray zone of decision making. Who outside of chief agreed with chief on this matter? Certainly none of the people with connections indicated Miller was a problem.

C

Chief00

It goes better if Enya is played in the background and wine is served at the table.

Chief did want Miller to go. It's his opinion it wasn't handled well. I'm with you. No one who has been a long time employee takes a sudden dismissal well. And it's also possible several people in the program didn't either. Firings have negative consequences even when it's obvious someone should be dismissed. Miller was more in the gray zone of decision making. Who outside of chief agreed with chief on this matter? Certainly none of the people with connections indicated Miller was a problem.

I could correct you on this, but let me consider doing so first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom