A dream come true for Triad - Coach P. will not return [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A dream come true for Triad - Coach P. will not return [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Actually it's been several years since Duke has been relevant in woman's basketball. Shea in originally from North Carolina but I'm not sure she has any feeling of loyalty to either Duke or the State of North Carolina and I don't know how much emphasis they are going to put on woman's basketball in the future.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
They pressed and pressed and we turned the ball over and over. I believe we were up by 12 with something like 4 minutes left. And then the murders began. . .

UConn pretty much trailed throughout. MSU led at halftime by 4 and won by 16. Poor shooting and turnovers. MSU made the FF that season and was a better team than UConn. That season was the start of the post-DT dark years.

Reaction Score
1593721980258.png

Reaction Score
I certainly don't have any insight into the dynamics of the previous ND coaching staff...does anyone on this board?...maybe not.

During the many good years at ND (all that I remember) Beth got a lot of complements and decent press for her work...Unclear why she was the one Niele chose not to keep...

If Duke decides to hire her... seems like a reasonable choice

It's clear to me. New Head Coach doesn't want to have an experienced Assistant who might be looked to as the first option to take over if the new Head Coach doesn't do well. Ivey has great recruiting skills, but has never had to lead a team.
Sound familiar? It's a drama that's played out time after time in sports and real life leadership positions.
It's extremely rare for someone who's never been a Head Coach to take over for a legend and do well. Maybe someone can refresh my memory with an example.
My bet is it's doubtful she'll be there long.

Reaction Score
UConn pretty much trailed throughout. MSU led at halftime by 4 and won by 16. Poor shooting and turnovers. MSU made the FF that season and was a better team than UConn. That season was the start of the post-DT dark years.

Oops. Apparently Reading is Fundamental. I just assumed Duke and that awful game in 2003-2004 at the XL Center. My bad.

Carry on.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke should go for Karen Aston!

I'd honestly rather have McCallie :eek:

If they hurry, Holly might still be available.:D

james evANS.gif

Sounds like he's celebrating at McDonalds.

Actually ended up at McDonalds this evening..... those Fish Filet Sandwiches tasted EXTRA good tonight :D

That was my line see post about Jamelle..but I forgive u..I only because we are DOOKIES

I didn't see that thread, but I guess great minds think alike :cool:

Reaction Score
JPM resigns:

She saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to get ahead of it. Always thought she had some sense of deserving greater glory for her coaching, as if Geno was just lucky and she was somehow shortchanged.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It's clear to me. New Head Coach doesn't want to have an experienced Assistant who might be looked to as the first option to take over if the new Head Coach doesn't do well. Ivey has great recruiting skills, but has never had to lead a team.
Sound familiar? It's a drama that's played out time after time in sports and real life leadership positions.
It's extremely rare for someone who's never been a Head Coach to take over for a legend and do well. Maybe someone can refresh my memory with an example.
My bet is it's doubtful she'll be there long.
Actually, if that was her idea, bringing in Washington, even though she did not do well at Penn State, is also placing an option right next to you.

Cunningham had some success at VCU before returning to ND. I'm not convinced (one way or the other) that she is likely actually to get the Duke job.

As to Ivey, folks who follow legends, as you note, struggle to do well, because they are compared to their predecessor. I don't think you can't be successful. You have to have the fans on your side and keep the program going well. When the program slips, you lose the fans. And it spirals, which is what happened in Tennessee.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Unless I missed it, didn't hear Coach P thank Coach K. Didn't want to listen to it again as I wasn't impressed with her statement. I thought it was a Classy move by her, to forego her compensation to make sure her assistants were paid as I'm sure some will be replaced when a new coach is hired.

Reaction Score
I know folks will take your post as sarcasm, but I recall sitting in STUNNED silence in the then Hartford Civic Center around 2005 ( I'm old, can't remember specific year) as Coach P's Mich. St. Spartans systematically dismantled the Huskies. We were never in it, I often wonder what the heck happened to THAT coach.
What happened. She came into an ugly situation that never resolved itself. To many people in and around the program that had a vested agenda to see her fail. That said I am glad she resigned. She should have resigned some time ago, not because she was a bad coach, but the negativity surrounding that program would not be gone until she was. She might have had a chance if she had totally cleaned house and gottin rid of every one who was associated with the previous program.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
She leaves an interesting mixed record...Did some reasonably decent team and player development in the last couple of years...and earlier.

Impossible and reprehensible during the "bus" period...perhaps the tension of trying to compete successfully on the national stage got to her (along with the added pressure of the U).

I'll be interested in seeing how her career is ultimately evaluated.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unless I missed it, didn't hear Coach P thank Coach K. Didn't want to listen to it again as I wasn't impressed with her statement. I thought it was a Classy move by her, to forego her compensation to make sure her assistants were paid as I'm sure some will be replaced when a new coach is hired.
She thanked Coach K.

Reaction Score
Actually it's been several years since Duke has been relevant in woman's basketball. Shea in originally from North Carolina but I'm not sure she has any feeling of loyalty to either Duke or the State of North Carolina and I don't know how much emphasis they are going to put on woman's basketball in the future.
Shea's mother played at UNC. Pretty sure they were on her final list.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I find it a little strange that current players find it so important that the next coach should be a Duke Alumni.
I would say to bring in a coach that brings this program back to national level but maybe that is too insulting to JPM although saying to bring in a young coach with alot of energy is a decent slap

Reaction Score
Duke and JPM were sailing in smooth waters until the ACC started to ransack the Old Big East, should say ND specifically (2013-14)...downhill ever since. The last Conference Regular Season Championship was 2013, year before ND and company came on board.

1593792171085.png

Reaction Score
Beth was Associate Head Coach under Muffet and Neile wanted someone else in that seat -Coquese Washington, who had held that position under Muffet before leaving for the Head Coach job at Penn State, where she had indifferent results and ended sacked and moved on to an assistant position at Oklahoma I believe.

Cunningham is highly qualified.

Even assuming that she is highly qualified for a HC position, this is Duke and one of a handful of the top jobs in the country. Geno once said that the only jobs he would ever consider were Duke and Stanford.
If I were Duke I'd look first at proven head coaches. But Duke may have different ideas. After all, they hired JPM.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom