A dream come true for Triad - Coach P. will not return [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

A dream come true for Triad - Coach P. will not return [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Even assuming that she is highly qualified for a HC position, this is Duke and one of a handful of the top jobs in the country. Geno once said that the only jobs he would ever consider were Duke and Stanford.
If I were Duke I'd look first at proven head coaches. But Duke may have different ideas. After all, they hired JPM.
Did Auriemma ever mention why Duke and Stanford would be so attractive to him? Wouldn’t their elite academic requirements create an even smaller recruiting pool for top talent? If the goal is NCs, how would he get the talent in there to win them now that 2-3 schools don’t have a monopoly on that top talent as they did back in the 90s and early 2000s?

Reaction Score
Did Auriemma ever mention why Duke and Stanford would be so attractive to him? Wouldn’t their elite academic requirements create an even smaller recruiting pool for top talent? If the goal is NCs, how would he get the talent in there to win them now that 2-3 schools don’t have a monopoly on that top talent as they did back in the 90s and early 2000s?

Actually he said the recruiting would be easier. He was half joking but he said the schools would recruit for him. "Just have recruits and their families take a walk around the campus". For all the wailing we hear from these elite school fans about their recruiting difficulties ND, Duke and Stanford have gotten more than their share of talent over the years. And no public university BS to deal with.

Reaction Score
Duke? I think I remember A Duke from long ago. I didn't know they were still around.

Reaction Score
Recruiting has been a struggle as of late. I hope the Shea Ralph Rumours are just that.

Reaction Score
I'd honestly rather have McCallie :eek:

View attachment 56102

Actually ended up at McDonalds this evening..... those Fish Filet Sandwiches tasted EXTRA good tonight :D

I didn't see that thread, but I guess great minds think alike :cool:
That might be the first human being I've heard praising a McDonald's Fish Filet. I've always thought that McConalds had a machine in the back of the store that made everything from fries to burgers to milkshakes and they all tasted the same.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That might be the first human being I've heard praising a McDonald's Fish Filet. I've always thought that McConalds had a machine in the back of the store that made everything from fries to burgers to milkshakes and they all tasted the same.

Well everything was better yesterday.... I could have gone in the backyard... scooped up some dirt... and it would have tasted wonderful

Reaction Score
Dream job for someone. Duke has probably the best brand and fan base in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Even assuming that she is highly qualified for a HC position, this is Duke and one of a handful of the top jobs in the country. Geno once said that the only jobs he would ever consider were Duke and Stanford.
If I were Duke I'd look first at proven head coaches. But Duke may have different ideas. After all, they hired JPM.
He meant as a mens team coach.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I just looked up her pre-Duke record. She really worked her way up the food chain the old-fashioned way. At Maine she dominated the America East for years and in 1999 took out Stanford in the NCAA 1st round (a down year for Tara, as just a 7 seed).

At Michigan State she made the NCAAs in year 3 and took her team to the NCAA championship game in year 5, leaving a heavily favorite Lady Vols team in her wake in the semifinals (a game I have very fond memories of watching :) ). It took a red-hot Baylor team to turn back Kristin Haynie et al from that overachieving Michigan State team. It certainly didn't look like a bad hire when Duke got her.

1593820000705.png

Last edited:

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Ok, so she was a much better coach than speaker.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Well this puts any chance of Gail getting the job. I didn’t think she would but she had a high contingent of players, coaches, and fans supporting her online.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Gonna be a lot of disappointed Duke WBB fans when they wake up in the morning and see this.

Duke tells former coach Gail Goestenkors she is not candidate to replace McCallie

Former Duke coach Gail Goestenkors has been told she is not a candidate for the Blue Devils' women's basketball head-coaching position, despite former players saying she has a strong base of support from the program's alumnae. The job opened Thursday when Joanne P. McCallie stepped down after 13 seasons because of uncertainty over an extension as she entered the final year of her contract.

A source told ESPN that on Friday, Duke's search committee informed Goestenkors, who ran the program from 1992 to 2007, that the school wanted to go a different direction and not look to the past.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gonna be a lot of disappointed Duke WBB fans when they wake up in the morning and see this.

Duke tells former coach Gail Goestenkors she is not candidate to replace McCallie

Former Duke coach Gail Goestenkors has been told she is not a candidate for the Blue Devils' women's basketball head-coaching position, despite former players saying she has a strong base of support from the program's alumnae. The job opened Thursday when Joanne P. McCallie stepped down after 13 seasons because of uncertainty over an extension as she entered the final year of her contract.

A source told ESPN that on Friday, Duke's search committee informed Goestenkors, who ran the program from 1992 to 2007, that the school wanted to go a different direction and not look to the past.
Wow! Mistake to not consider her.

Reaction Score

[/QUOTE Not even considering her I suspect is because of the situation that she left under. No matter what both sides said in their pressers there was lot of bad blood. I believe that carried over into the coach P era as well, Perhaps her resignation will finally put an end to all the residual negativity that engolfed the program because of the consequences of Gails leaving.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well this puts any chance of Gail getting the job. I didn’t think she would but she had a high contingent of players, coaches, and fans supporting her online.

So the candidate at the top of Mechelle Voepel's list is eliminated almost immediately. This is a tough environment in which to hire but Duke is a coveted job.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
An interesting list:

Jennie Baranczyk, Mark Campbell, Joy Smith, Tina Langley, Lindsay Harding

Kelly Bond-White, Texas A&M associate head coach

Bond-White has been the associate head coach under legendary Gary Blair for over a decade. She’s known for helping recruiting efforts, and confirmed her interest in the Blue Devil opening to The Chronicle Saturday night, adding "that’s all [she] can say out of respect for Duke & Texas A&M."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom