A Dovian Take on KO | The Boneyard

A Dovian Take on KO

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
UCONN and UCONN fans had it made with Jim Calhoun. Years of being entrenched in the Top 25 and very often in the Top Ten. Big Mondays!! Big Tuesdays!!!! Jim was a stick of dynamite on the side line lighting fires under his players, referees and opposing fans. He cursed like an old-school mechanic who needed to deal with computers. He left due to health reasons and fans may feel robbed.

Sometimes UCONN fans cringed seeing him run to half court giving a player the thumb telling them to “GET THE duck* OUT!!” But we loved the guy.

Kevin Ollie ain’t that guy and it is such a change that perhaps UCONN fans thus see him as inept. His tendency to sit a lot more than Jim screams tolerance to bad play. KO’s teams barely crack the Top 25 and never are in the Top 10 except for the last week of 2014. There have been no regular season conference championships. And UCONN fans are jumping ship. Last night upon tapping out of the chat room I even commented that I am sour on the guy. A day later I see that I was just emotional (I blame Rodney).

KO is JC’s guy and likes God in the huddle. As for recruiting it doesn’t seem to hurt as he is definitely bringing in kids with talent and potential. Five years in he now has KO players but has always had a roster that lacked fluidity. The Post-grads were band-aids. Now injuries. He needs to be afforded a break from the fans. The next two seasons are critical for sure but will definitely be better than what we are seeing now.

Patience. Tough to have when our guys pass the ball to the opponents, or our guys dribble off their feet, or step out of bounds, or miss dunks, or allow open treys, or look lost or iniate KO’s stinky cheese face.

Someday we’ll be back in the Top 25. Someday.

Reaction Score
I think it's time for the return of the quick hook. I was never the biggest fan back in the day but I think some of these younger guys could use a little tough love on occasion.

It may work wonders for this team. On the other hand, let's not forget that the board was often highly critical of Calhoun's quick hook.

Reaction Score
Big Mondays are out of any coach's control. I'm more concerned about lack of top 10-15 ranking throughout a season and at least a 4 seed in the NCAAs. Calhoun would maximize this same roster in a way Ollie hasn't figured out. I'd love to see a stat on 50/50 balls won-lost this year. There hasn't been that signature hunger since Napier left

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's really this simple. If not KO then who is better and will take this job?
There isn't better.
By the way I think way more of KO than thinking he's the best of a buncha bad options. I'm just make a simple point to simpletons who call for his job.
KO is fine and will be even better. We are lucky to have him

Reaction Score
Things will get far more interesting when his contract expires. Realistically, UConn can't do much better. But can they pay a man 3sticks if his next 2.5 years replicate his past 2.5?

Reaction Score
The real nightmare, in case fans haven't thought of it, is firing Ollie and hiring a guy like, I don't know, I can't even imagine who. BC went from Jim O'Brien to Al Skinner to a bunch of guys I can't even name.
Umm, that's BC and we are UConn. Please don't ever bring up BC basketball as any way relatable to what goes on with UConn basketball ever again. Thanks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I just don't know what to think about Ollie. As a head coach, he almost seems to have stepped out of central casting...except for some glaring flaws.

His teams have three traits; slow starts to the games and the second half, general disorganization at the end of games and halves and a tendency to give up huge runs.

I don't think those things reflect particularly well on him, especially when some of these things happen while he's sitting on his hands and his timeouts. We have an x and o problem. It's almost like he gets lost inside the game and his insights are not formed until he sees the box score afterwards - he's always quoting a statistic post-game, but he's taken no action to address the play that created that statistic while the game was in-progress.

I believed that we needed a strong recruiting assistant added to the staff and they did that - too much of the recruiting heavy lifting fell solely on KO's shoulders and DK solves that. Next, I think they need to add a strong bench coach next to Ollie.

Reaction Score
It's really this simple. If not KO then who is better and will take this job?
There isn't better.
By the way I think way more of KO than thinking he's the best of a buncha bad options. I'm just make a simple point to simpletons who call for his job.
KO is fine and will be even better. We are lucky to have him
Sorry brother but this isn't UConn football, it's UConn basketball. Our pedigree isn't just going away because of our conference situation, almost anyone who is considered a great young coach would take the job. You must think Ollie is better than everyone else out there, the longer we stay a middling team in the AAC the harder that thought process is to justify.

August_West

Reaction Score
Sorry brother but this isn't UConn football, it's UConn basketball. Our pedigree isn't just going away because of our conference situation, almost anyone who is considered a great young coach would take the job. You must think Ollie is better than everyone else out there, the longer we stay a middling team in the AAC the harder that thought process is to justify.

I see NO ONE out there who could out recruit Ollie in our current (not even future) situation.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Half his team is hurt. His best big man is a freshman. His team doesn't know a good shot from a bad shot. They think nothing about throwing it up there if Plan A doesn't work.

The last two are on him. Brimah and Facey have been clogging up the rotation for two years. If he doesn't turn it around next year, we should be looking to make changes.

Reaction Score
I just don't know what to think about Ollie. As a head coach, he almost seems to have stepped out of central casting...except for some glaring flaws.

His teams have three traits; slow starts to the games and the second half, general disorganization at the end of games and halves and a tendency to give up huge runs.

I don't think those things reflect particularly well on him, especially when some of these things happen while he's sitting on his hands and his timeouts. We have an x and o problem. It's almost like he gets lost inside the game and his insights are not formed until he sees the box score afterwards - he's always quoting a statistic post-game, but he's taken no action to address the play that created that statistic while the game was in-progress.

I believed that we needed a strong recruiting assistant added to the staff and they did that - too much of the recruiting heavy lifting fell solely on KO's shoulders and DK solves that. Next, I think they need to add a strong bench coach next to Ollie.

maybe a George Blaney elder statesman type?

Reaction Score
I see NO ONE out there who could out recruit Ollie in our current (not even future) situation.
That may be true, it's the coaching them up part that is rightfully being questioned.

Reaction Score
Half his team is hurt. His best big man is a freshman. His team doesn't know a good shot from a bad shot. They think nothing about throwing it up there if Plan A doesn't work.

The last two are on him. Brimah and Facey have been clogging up the rotation for two years. If he doesn't turn it around next year, we should be looking to make changes.
Two players are hurt, his best big man is a senior. His team not knowing when to shoot and just chucking it up is on coaching. These are his players and not knowing how to play reflects on the coaching.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
UCONN and UCONN fans had it made with Jim Calhoun. Years of being entrenched in the Top 25 and very often in the Top Ten. Big Mondays!! Big Tuesdays!!!! Jim was a stick of dynamite on the side line lighting fires under his players, referees and opposing fans. He cursed like an old-school mechanic who needed to deal with computers. He left due to health reasons and fans may feel robbed.

Sometimes UCONN fans cringed seeing him run to half court giving a player the thumb telling them to “GET THE duck* OUT!!” But we loved the guy.

Kevin Ollie ain’t that guy and it is such a change that perhaps UCONN fans thus see him as inept. His tendency to sit a lot more than Jim screams tolerance to bad play. KO’s teams barely crack the Top 25 and never are in the Top 10 except for the last week of 2014. There have been no regular season conference championships. And UCONN fans are jumping ship. Last night upon tapping out of the chat room I even commented that I am sour on the guy. A day later I see that I was just emotional (I blame Rodney).

KO is JC’s guy and likes God in the huddle. As for recruiting it doesn’t seem to hurt as he is definitely bringing in kids with talent and potential. Five years in he now has KO players but has always had a roster that lacked fluidity. The Post-grads were band-aids. Now injuries. He needs to be afforded a break from the fans. The next two seasons are critical for sure but will definitely be better than what we are seeing now.

Patience. Tough to have when our guys pass the ball to the opponents, or our guys dribble off their feet, or step out of bounds, or miss dunks, or allow open treys, or look lost or iniate KO’s stinky cheese face.

You assume the quick hook would make this team play better. I doubt it.

Reaction Score

It's like you don't see the danger signs. Read Fishy's posts. I am very afraid that this banging on the drum for Ollie's head will start resulting in one thing: recruiting misses from kids scared to go to a place with a coach on a hot seat. The next guy--please you name him, Northeastern's coach?--is going to have a much tougher time recruiting in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Umm, that's BC and we are UConn. Please don't ever bring up BC basketball as any way relatable to what goes on with UConn basketball ever again. Thanks.

BC in the 1980s and early 1990s was not the current BC. They outsmarted themselves coaching wise. Repeatedly.

August_West

Reaction Score
That may be true, it's the coaching them up part that is rightfully being questioned.

its fair. There are some head scratching things at times mostly game management stuff (as Fishy alluded to) but I think he coaches defense pretty well (when at full strength) and Ive said this before and it sounds crazy, but our offense this year as far as running stuff and getting shots we want is more successful than I remember it being in a couple years. We just cant make shots. NOBODY is making shots in any way that would start a rhythm that could give us something to hang our hat on.

As far as player progress, we are stuck with guys right now who for whatever reason never broke through the glass ceiling. Purvis at this point is all mental. I dont know if Coach K couldve progressed his career any better. Brimah just is what he is. He HAS progressed from a skills and positioning aspect. It is just that his main flaw coming in, is still his main flaw. And I dont think it can be coached up. He just has ZERO natural basketball awareness. The only thing you can do with that is put him in positions to succeed and minimize that flaw and KO has done that.

Reaction Score

YOU'RE A RAMBLING IDIOT.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Solid post.

KO's inability to call timeouts while other teams go on extended runs boggles my mind. Always too little too late, after the other team has asserted their will. Why not get out ahead of the run and call TO?

Also agree that his in-game adjustments are poor.
  • The team runs the same offense continually, game after game, possession after possession.. The team's slow starts are on him 100%. Why is the team unprepared to play to start the game? Doesn't seem to be an energy thing. Maybe it's because our offense is too predictable and has not evolved.
  • Outside of set plays that the offense executes out of time outs, the offense is disorganized. If the team disrupts a set play, we don't know what to do and resort to poor shots. Lately we've been feeding our bigs more as our guards struggling with their shooting -- but it's predictable and teams are denying entry passes or doubling the big when they get the ball. When that happens, we have no plan B.
  • Seems like KO's only trick on defense is switching to zone every now and then to throw the other team off. More often than not, our defense has trouble adapting to the change more so than the other team's offensive execution.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You assume the quick hook would make this team play better. I doubt it.
No.

My post ended by stating KO has been saddled with line-ups that have limitations either by one and dones (post grads needed to fill voids) or injuries. The hook reference was to just show how JC could get into the players' heads. KO has a different take is all.

superjohn mentioned the 'coaching up' thing and I forgot to mention that. It could easily be said that KO has not coached up ANYBODY. Look at Rodney, DHam and Amida. Flat liners at best.

And as for x's and o's...I am the first person here to admit I know squat about what I am watching. I know that what I see appears flawed. A guy dribbling watching players get his signal to rotate. I see no cuts. No drives to the hoop. I see meh. (Even JCs last few teams dribbled the ball endlessly awaiting a drive to the hoop and that infuriated this board.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Solid post.

KO's inability to call timeouts while other teams go on extended runs boggles my mind. Always too little too late, after the other team has asserted their will. Why not get out ahead of the run and call TO?

Also agree that his in-game adjustments are poor.
  • The team runs the same offense continually, game after game, possession after possession.. The team's slow starts are on him 100%. Why is the team unprepared to play to start the game? Doesn't seem to be an energy thing. Maybe it's because our offense is too predictable and has not evolved.
  • Outside of set plays that the offense executes out of time outs, the offense is disorganized. If the team disrupts a set play, we don't know what to do and resort to poor shots. Lately we've been feeding our bigs more as our guards struggling with their shooting -- but it's predictable and teams are denying entry passes or doubling the big when they get the ball. When that happens, we have no plan B.
  • Seems like KO's only trick on defense is switching to zone every now and then to throw the other team off. More often than not, our defense has trouble adapting to the change more so than the other team's offensive execution.
You nailed this so hard -- I can hardly stand to watch this offense, and we're so darn soft on D and the boards. I actually feel like Shabazz and Boat hid Ollie's ineptitude on offense....they'd run nothing for 30 seconds and then one of those guys would bail them out. How many last second tough jumpers did those guys make to save face on a possession? I love Kevin as a mentor and I love the message -- but the guy needs some help. We're getting out-coached every night now

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom