A Dovian Take on KO | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Dovian Take on KO

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
No.

My post ended by stating KO has been saddled with line-ups that have limitations either by one and dones (post grads needed to fill voids) or injuries. The hook reference was to just show how JC could get into the players' heads. KO has a different take is all.

superjohn mentioned the 'coaching up' thing and I forgot to mention that. It could easily be said that KO has not coached up ANYBODY. Look at Rodney, DHam and Amida. Flat liners at best.

And as for x's and o's...I am the first person here to admit I know squat about what I am watching. I know that what I see appears flawed. A guy dribbling watching players get his signal to rotate. I see no cuts. No drives to the hoop. I see meh. (Even JCs last few teams dribbled the ball endlessly awaiting a drive to the hoop and that infuriated this board.

nomar: That is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought-out post.
Dove: Thank you.
nomar: Shut up, Dove!

74527493.jpg

Reaction Score
I see NO ONE out there who could out recruit Ollie in our current (not even future) situation.
This is what a lot of people don't seem to get, we are not recruiting into the ACC. That said we need guys who can shoot the ball better regardless of their recruiting rankings. We've seen some of these players lighting us up.

Reaction Score
Brimah and Facey have been clogging up the rotation for two years. If he doesn't turn it around next year, we should be looking to make changes.

That's the thing.

Apologists refer to sanctions saying we had no choice but to take Brimah and Facey. That may be true.

KO's failure isn't recruiting Brimah and Facey. His failure is in not developing or recruiting over those guys at any point in the last 3 years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I just don't know what to think about Ollie. As a head coach, he almost seems to have stepped out of central casting...except for some glaring flaws.

His teams have three traits; slow starts to the games and the second half, general disorganization at the end of games and halves and a tendency to give up huge runs.

I don't think those things reflect particularly well on him, especially when some of these things happen while he's sitting on his hands and his timeouts. We have an x and o problem. It's almost like he gets lost inside the game and his insights are not formed until he sees the box score afterwards - he's always quoting a statistic post-game, but he's taken no action to address the play that created that statistic while the game was in-progress.

I believed that we needed a strong recruiting assistant added to the staff and they did that - too much of the recruiting heavy lifting fell solely on KO's shoulders and DK solves that. Next, I think they need to add a strong bench coach next to Ollie.

That has been my mantra since last year. He's in a bubble of groupthink. I think he needs a strong, outside of the JC tree, assistant who can question him and make him question himself from time to time. I'd rather we keep him and develop him into the coach he can be than try pot luck. But certainly this team isn't well coached at the moment.

Reaction Score
You nailed this so hard -- I can hardly stand to watch this offense, and we're so darn soft on D and the boards. I actually feel like Shabazz and Boat hid Ollie's ineptitude on offense....they'd run nothing for 30 seconds and then one of those guys would bail them out. How many last second tough jumpers did those guys make to save face on a possession? I love Kevin as a mentor and I love the message -- but the guy needs some help. We're getting out-coached every night now

Watch the highlights of our Tournament games in 2014.

It's ridiculous how many of our made baskets were Shabazz hero shots at the end of the shot clock. Without him making an absurd percentage of those, we probably lose the Villanova, MSU, and UK games. [In fairness, we basically dominated the ISU game (up to the last 5 minutes) and the UF game (after the first 10 minutes) as a team.]

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
its fair. There are some head scratching things at times mostly game management stuff (as Fishy alluded to) but I think he coaches defense pretty well (when at full strength) and Ive said this before and it sounds crazy, but our offense this year as far as running stuff and getting shots we want is more successful than I remember it being in a couple years. We just cant make shots. NOBODY is making shots in any way that would start a rhythm that could give us something to hang our hat on.

As far as player progress, we are stuck with guys right now who for whatever reason never broke through the glass ceiling. Purvis at this point is all mental. I dont know if Coach K couldve progressed his career any better. Brimah just is what he is. He HAS progressed from a skills and positioning aspect. It is just that his main flaw coming in, is still his main flaw. And I dont think it can be coached up. He just has ZERO natural basketball awareness. The only thing you can do with that is put him in positions to succeed and minimize that flaw and KO has done that.

I'm totally with you on this post. If only a third of the open shots and FT's went in this season would be totally different and the same people looking to blame KO would be worried about him going to the NBA.

Reaction Score
BC in the 1980s and early 1990s was not the current BC. They outsmarted themselves coaching wise. Repeatedly.
I know, I watched them. They were still nothing like UConn. I remember us coming back from a big defecit against them behind a great Donyell performance, I think at that point UConn had won 25 straight against BC.

Reaction Score
It's like you don't see the danger signs. Read Fishy's posts. I am very afraid that this banging on the drum for Ollie's head will start resulting in one thing: recruiting misses from kids scared to go to a place with a coach on a hot seat. The next guy--please you name him, Northeastern's coach?--is going to have a much tougher time recruiting in the AAC.
Not following your post. Fishy points out concerns and deficiencies in Ollie's coaching at this point, I see them as well. If you want fans to just stick their heads in the sand and say all is right with Ollie's coaching then you probably shouldn't be on this forum. It's not going to happen, fans critique their teams.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The bottom line for me is that, as others have pointed out in this thread, KO's doing a good -- very good -- job recruiting, considering our conference. He's trading on the UConn name, but he's also closing the deal based on his own name and personality. Losing out on Diallo shouldn't give anyone a big concern. If a kid wants to go to UK, he's going to go to UK.

It's the coaching. I would counsel that drawing any conclusions from this year would be pointless, but I concede that from his entire tenure we do have enough of a sample size on which to be concerned about Xs & Os. I agree with those who say he needs an outsider with experience and credibility on the bench next to him.

If Gilbert was playing Vital's minutes, we'd have 2-3 more wins. It would not make the season a good one but it wouldn't make it an embarrassment. Yeah, I know we dropped the first two games, but I would have expected the team to start to gel after incorporating all the new players.

Edit: I started out by using the term "bottom line" but the real bottom line for me is that I think we need to give KO a very long leash. The devil you know and all that.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The bottom line for me is that, as others have pointed out in this thread, KO's doing a good -- very good -- job recruiting, considering our conference. He's trading on the UConn name, but he's also closing the deal based on his own name and personality. Losing out on Diallo shouldn't give anyone a big concern. If a kid wants to go to UK, he's going to go to UK.

It's the coaching. I would counsel that drawing any conclusions from this year would be pointless, but I concede that from his entire tenure we do have enough of a sample size on which to be concerned about Xs & Os. I agree with those who say he needs an outsider with experience and credibility on the bench next to him.

If Gilbert was playing Vital's minutes, we'd have 2-3 more wins. It would not make the season a good one but it wouldn't make it an embarrassment. Yeah, I know we dropped the first two games, but I would have expected the team to start to gel after incorporating all the new players.

Just like us Oregon dropped 2 games by Maui and hasnt lost since.

I like this team with Larrier and Gilbert healthy. The 2 early season abortions notwithstanding.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sorry brother but this isn't UConn football, it's UConn basketball. Our pedigree isn't just going away because of our conference situation, almost anyone who is considered a great young coach would take the job. You must think Ollie is better than everyone else out there, the longer we stay a middling team in the AAC the harder that thought process is to justify.

JC had a HUGE recruitment advantage - he had the Big East - he has alluded to that several times that past few years when folks have questioned UConn recent recruitments
Second, the after effects of the sanctions didn't impact JC, they impacted KO. Look at what it has done to Syracuse
I do agree that he needs some strength in the assistant area, loyalty to alum is great but he needs to get someone like a Blaney - someone with head coaching experience. Killings is a good start but there needs to be a bit more diversity (not race color or religion) in terms of experience. He also needs to relook at recruitment priorities - rather than going after the crème de la crème maybe notch it down and recruit for parts that make sense, ie pure shooter vs athlete, smart playmaker vs slash and dash, bulk and strength vs wiry and agile
August - I fully agree that KO is the best right now

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You nailed this so hard -- I can hardly stand to watch this offense, and we're so darn soft on D and the boards. I actually feel like Shabazz and Boat hid Ollie's ineptitude on offense....they'd run nothing for 30 seconds and then one of those guys would bail them out. How many last second tough jumpers did those guys make to save face on a possession? I love Kevin as a mentor and I love the message -- but the guy needs some help. We're getting out-coached every night now
and please explain in detail how Tubby Smith or Frank Haith "out coached" KO

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Watch the highlights of our Tournament games in 2014.

It's ridiculous how many of our made baskets were Shabazz hero shots at the end of the shot clock. Without him making an absurd percentage of those, we probably lose the Villanova, MSU, and UK games. [In fairness, we basically dominated the ISU game (up to the last 5 minutes) and the UF game (after the first 10 minutes) as a team.]
Please watch the 2011 Big East tournament games - it's ridiculous how many of UConn's made baskets were Kemba's. Without them UConn doesn't get out of the 2nd round of the BE never mind go dancing
Yeah Giffs and Lamb never made any big shots - was that Bazz with the hook shot vs St Joes?? and Kromah had no presence and Boat played no D to shut down any opposing guards
You have VERY selective vision when trying to make your points

Reaction Score
I just don't know what to think about Ollie. As a head coach, he almost seems to have stepped out of central casting...except for some glaring flaws.

His teams have three traits; slow starts to the games and the second half, general disorganization at the end of games and halves and a tendency to give up huge runs.

I don't think those things reflect particularly well on him, especially when some of these things happen while he's sitting on his hands and his timeouts. We have an x and o problem. It's almost like he gets lost inside the game and his insights are not formed until he sees the box score afterwards - he's always quoting a statistic post-game, but he's taken no action to address the play that created that statistic while the game was in-progress.

I believed that we needed a strong recruiting assistant added to the staff and they did that - too much of the recruiting heavy lifting fell solely on KO's shoulders and DK solves that. Next, I think they need to add a strong bench coach next to Ollie.

Player development is a far greater problem than x's and o's. When your players don't develop, it limits what you can do from and x and o standpoint.

I mean, this team doesn't do anything well offensively. They don't screen well, their cuts are often purposeless and poorly timed, nobody - sans Adams - can finish through contact, none of our bigs can put the ball on the floor or pass worth a damn, and our senior shooting guard recoils into a seizure every time he gets the ball. Then there is the obvious problem that nobody on the team can shoot.

I have never had any question that Ollie capable of diagramming an offense that churns out consistently good shots. But, save maybe last season, he's never had the personnel to do it (and by March, that team figured it out). Even the '14 team was limited at the forward position.

I don't necessarily think KO is incapable of tailoring his offense to suit the limitations of his personnel, but I think at his core he's a basketball junkie who loves the x's and o's aspect of the job, and that might help demonstrate why he always appears so mystified on the sidelines. Honestly, I don't blame him. He shouldn't have to spoon feed these kids pearls of wisdom that they should have gotten in the sixth grade. For as much as he's struggled as a college coach, I'd be willing to bet you could give him an NBA job tomorrow and he'd hold his own with the right team.

Ultimately, he'll need to either become a better teacher or a better identifier of players who have already been taught well. His inability to do one of those has been the undoing of these last three years.

Reaction Score
For as much as he's struggled as a college coach, I'd be willing to bet you could give him an NBA job tomorrow and he'd hold his own with the right team.

Nailed it. This is, to me, the most interesting aspect of Ollie's struggles. In several respects he looks like a guy who thinks he's coaching grown men and finished basketball players.

Reaction Score
Most coaches win games because players make plays for them don't they? How can you judge a coaches performance but eliminate when players make plays for them to win games for them? I agree there are some things Ollie could be doing better as a coach. That said, if you go out there and look for a coach how many better coaches are you going to find? You can downplay his national championship all you want but he beat some really good coaches and teams to win it. And by my math (which could be wrong) he is one of only 11 active coaches with a championship. That leaves well over 300 who don't have one.
People calling for his head at this stage in the game are crazy. How many years do you think it will take to start all over again and get good with a new coach, new staff, new recruits? Assuming of course the new coach is good enough to do that.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think it's time for the return of the quick hook. I was never the biggest fan back in the day but I think some of these younger guys could use a little tough love on occasion.

I loved the timeouts 10 seconds into the game, and JC screaming in the kids faces

"go get them Jimmy", because I always knew what the end result would be

JC was an old school disciplinarian, tough love, I miss all that so much. KO punishes his kids by telling them they have to go into "time out" for 5 minutes.

JC coached his kids up, at this point I see none of that from KO.

However, I do tend to agree with the OP, he deserves more time and there's been an unusual set of circumstances, lots of turnover

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I think it's time for the return of the quick hook. I was never the biggest fan back in the day but I think some of these younger guys could use a little tough love on occasion.
I'd be on board...except who they going to put in? Walk-ons? They don't have any healthy players left.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It may work wonders for this team. On the other hand, let's not forget that the board was often highly critical of Calhoun's quick hook.
Me included. But it's a valid tool if not overused.

Reaction Score
Not following your post. Fishy points out concerns and deficiencies in Ollie's coaching at this point, I see them as well. If you want fans to just stick their heads in the sand and say all is right with Ollie's coaching then you probably shouldn't be on this forum. It's not going to happen, fans critique their teams.

What is it with you? It's like you knee-jerk at any comment criticizing your take. When someone criticizes your point-of-view, you swing wildly to the extreme margin and say that we want fans never to criticize Ollie, and that we shouldn't be on the forum. It's whacked.

The point I was making is that, as in Fishy's post, Ollie has a lot of things going for him. Take those away, and hire (insert name) you are taking a big chance with the program. In this conference.

Reaction Score
I loved the timeouts 10 seconds into the game, and JC screaming in the kids faces

JC was an old school disciplinarian, tough love, I miss all that so much. KO punishes his kids by telling them they have to go into "time out" for 5 minutes.

However, I do tend to agree with the OP, he deserves more time and there's been an unusual set of circumstances, lots of turnover

I'll never forget the game where Calhoun called a timeout, marched almost to half court, and then *dragged* Craig Austrie off the court.

Reaction Score

You have to give it more time. There are struggles that are easy to see (lack of a point guard and another ball handler), and struggles that are not so easy to see (interrelations with the coach). In his first 2 years, Ollie had that team playing hard. If anything, we saw a dysfunctional team from Calhoun's last year here become a very tight team under Ollie. Calhoun was not always the master motivator. He actually threw in the towel with some of these kids (Oriakhi, to mention just one).

Also remember Calhoun mentioning how some teams were night-and-day in terms of attitude compared to other years. Like Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Reaction Score
I know, I watched them. They were still nothing like UConn. I remember us coming back from a big defecit against them behind a great Donyell performance, I think at that point UConn had won 25 straight against BC.

They were nothing like UConn? I'd say they played very much like UConn. Guard oriented, gritty, tough, good defense. Mike Adams, John Bagley, they had a really good team. They got hosed against that Memphis team with Keith Lee, Bedford and Baskerville Holmes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What is it with you? It's like you knee-jerk at any comment criticizing your take. When someone criticizes your point-of-view, you swing wildly to the extreme margin and say that we want fans never to criticize Ollie, and that we shouldn't be on the forum. It's whacked.

The point I was making is that, as in Fishy's post, Ollie has a lot of things going for him. Take those away, and hire (insert name) you are taking a big chance with the program. In this conference.
Just ask him about Eli and see what happens.

Don't get him wrong--he loves the fact that they won championships for his teams. But when they're not winning championships, they suck and he would far prefer any shiny new penny.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score

I just don't understand how you can expect this team to be consistent when you have 8 scholarship players healthy and 5 of them are freshmen/sophs. Enoch is a soph and is the youngest player on the team! Adams is so talented, we forget hes only a soph. He still plays young at times. Jackson, Vital, Durham were not ready for this large of a role but they were thrust into it because of injury.
I know people will point out that they lost games with Gilbert and Larrier playing...well I dismiss that. Remember, both of those guys are new to the team as well! It takes time for a team to gel and gain cohesiveness. There is no doubt in my mind that if Gilbert and Larrier were healthy we would be at WORST 2-1 in conference right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom