A Dovian Take on KO | Page 5 | The Boneyard

A Dovian Take on KO

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
As if we don't have a storied history and four national championships ...

You're right, the AAC isn't the OBE. But when Calhoun came he sold the conference because he couldn't sell the tradition. Ollie doesn't have that limitation.
Ollie can sell his youth, NBA career, UCONN history and family. UCONN still has the NBA pipeline to promote, as well.

Its not all bad.

I also think that football program would help sell, too, if it gets back to being good. It sure is embarrassing seeing hoops players and recruits at a Maine game looking way beyond bored.

Reaction Score
Who were the couple of kids you are referring to (I'll give you Oriaki)? You make it sound like a mutiny. It wasn't. It was a difficult balance of veterans who wanted the limelight and talented freshman and sophomores who didn't know how to lead. And coming off a championship can create a different (sometimes individual) type of motivation. But if you're suggesting that Kevin Ollie fixed some dysfunctional situation, you're just wrong. No really. You don't know what you're talking about. And just because you've filed in your scrapbook that some blowhard fan boys on the Boneyard "universally derided" a couple of classes that featured Daniels (ranked #19), Boatwright (#34), Drummond (top 3) and Shabazz, means what again? That Kevin Ollie is a terrific coach or developer of talent? Or better than Jim Calhoun because they weren't universally derided on Ollie's watch? Got it.

You can't put together 3 classes and call them one class, freescooter. It is 1 class, the Shabazz, Giffey, Lamb, Olander, Bradley, Wolf class. And no it wasn't a few blowhard fanboys. This board existed back then. You can go look.

Daniels wasn't in this class.

And just because you hate Kevin Ollie, and always hated him even when he was winning a national chapionship, doesn't mean he didn't develop Daniels, Giffey, Napier and Boatright, he did.

By the way, Boatright is spelled without a W, and I'm sure all those blowhard UConn fans know that, because they are real.

Reaction Score
You can't put together 3 classes and call them one class, freescooter. It is 1 class, the Shabazz, Giffey, Lamb, Olander, Bradley, Wolf class. And no it wasn't a few blowhard fanboys. This board existed back then. You can go look.

Daniels wasn't in this class.

And just because you hate Kevin Ollie, and always hated him even when he was winning a national chapionship, doesn't mean he didn't develop Daniels, Giffey, Napier and Boatright, he did.

By the way, Boatright is spelled without a W, and I'm sure all those blowhard UConn fans know that, because they are real.
Sigh. I know they were in multiple classes. Go back and read your post again, you mentioned Daniels. And then confusingly wrote about "this class" and two years of universal derision. But fine, my point still stands. I couldn't care less what you and your Boneyard scrapbook says (or said) back in 2011 & 2012. Any class that featured Napier and Lamb was more than excellent starting in 2011 and 2012 so, I'm not going to attribute their individual success (or the 14 championship) to KO's development talent once JC left. You clearly think that Ollie is the right guy. I clearly don't. I'm a long way from hating Kevin Ollie - you have no idea - and I wish I felt differently and I hope that I'm wrong. But I find it asinine for you (who has an arrogantly-toned comment about EVERY new poster or anyone who dares to criticize Kevin Ollie) to dismiss people's legitimate fact-based (as well as subjective) concerns about the program based on what the Boneyard said 4+ years ago. So keep citing the Boneyard circa 2012. I don't care. It doesn't make you less wrong.

Reaction Score
Half his team is hurt. His best big man is a freshman. His team doesn't know a good shot from a bad shot. They think nothing about throwing it up there if Plan A doesn't work.

The last two are on him. Brimah and Facey have been clogging up the rotation for two years. If he doesn't turn it around next year, we should be looking to make changes.
Facey has earned his keep so far, and Amida is doing better things too. If we could shoot, we'd be dangerous.

Reaction Score
Sigh. I know they were in multiple classes. Go back and read your post again, you mentioned Daniels. And then confusingly wrote about "this class" and two years of universal derision. But fine, my point still stands. I couldn't care less what you and your Boneyard scrapbook says (or said) back in 2011 & 2012. Any class that featured Napier and Lamb was more than excellent starting in 2011 and 2012 so, I'm not going to attribute their individual success (or the 14 championship) to KO's development talent once JC left. You clearly think that Ollie is the right guy. I clearly don't. I'm a long way from hating Kevin Ollie - you have no idea - and I wish I felt differently and I hope that I'm wrong. But I find it asinine for you (who has an arrogantly-toned comment about EVERY new poster or anyone who dares to criticize Kevin Ollie) to dismiss people's legitimate fact-based (as well as subjective) concerns about the program based on what the Boneyard said 4+ years ago. So keep citing the Boneyard circa 2012. I don't care. It doesn't make you less wrong.

It wasn't that hard to begin with, but I see now you're confused.

The Bazz class was the one people hated.

Daniels is a kid that developed under Ollie, freescooter.

These are two simple separate statements that should be very hard for a person with a brain to confuse.

Reaction Score
It wasn't that hard to begin with, but I see now you're confused.

The Bazz class was the one people hated.

Daniels is a kid that developed under Ollie, freescooter.

These are two simple separate statements that should be very hard for a person with a brain to confuse.
Hah. Thanks for proving my point. You are indeed a misinformed but self righteous jackass. You really know very very little about what goes on with UConn basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hah. Thanks for proving my point. You are indeed a misinformed but self righteous jackass.

Nov 15 eh? Freescooter? That's the day you decided to come back.

Reaction Score
Nov 15 eh? Freescooter? That's the day you decided to come back.
I assume this would be amusing if I were "freescooter?" If that's some sort of burn, I feel like a bully for engaging you in the first place.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Hah. Thanks for proving my point. You are indeed a misinformed but self righteous jackass. You really know very very little about what goes on with UConn basketball.

You give JC credit for DeAndre's development even though the one year JC was one of his coaches, he averaged 3 and 2 in 12 MPG?

And to think you call people misinformed...

Reaction Score
You give JC credit for DeAndre's development even though the one year JC was one of his coaches, he averaged 3 and 2 in 12 MPG?

Nooooo. I gave him credit for recruiting him. But please point out where I ever gave him credit for developing DeAndre Daniels. I simply stated that suggesting that JC didn't (at least in part) develop the Bazz, Lamb, etc is flat out wrong. Good try though. And yes, upstater is still completely misinformed.

C

Chief00

Jim Calhoun tears you down before he builds you up. Calhoun was actually the guy to tell Daniels before his best game (Florida semi finals game) that no one was talking about him. By all accounts that tweak led to his best game.
Stairmaster your vendetta against Jim Calhoun is very strange.

Reaction Score
Nooooo. I gave him credit for recruiting him. But please point out where I ever gave him credit for developing DeAndre Daniels. I simply stated that suggesting that JC didn't (at least in part) develop the Bazz, Lamb, etc is flat out wrong. Good try though. And yes, upstater is still completely misinformed.

Lamb wasn't even an Ollie player. He left before Calhoun took over.

All these players improved greatly under Ollie: Daniel, Napier, Giffey, Boatright.

This is undeniable.

Reaction Score
Lamb wasn't even an Ollie player. He left before Calhoun took over.

All these players improved greatly under Ollie: Daniel, Napier, Giffey, Boatright.

This is undeniable.
You mean he left before Ollie took over. A real fan would know that.

All of those players got older and more experienced under Ollie. That is undeniable. Improved greatly? Because of Ollie? Not remotely close to being a fact.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Fishy also comes out of central casting as a board moderator. As long as he/she keeps the SHARK avatar there will be no moderating equivalent across the universe of message boards in the United States and beyond.

It is the stuff legends are made of! The Shark!!!! Me loves da Shark.

If Fishy's a 'she', (s)he's the ugliest one I've ever met.

Reaction Score
All of those players got older and more experienced under Ollie. That is undeniable. Improved greatly? Because of Ollie? Not remotely close to being a fact.

Greatly, as in night and day. Senior Boatright was 10x the player he was as a freshman. Senior Bazz was 20x. Giffey was 2 or 3x. Daniels was 10x the player. Night and day differences in these kids. Ollie develops players, as these four proved.

Reaction Score
Greatly, as in night and day. Senior Boatright was 10x the player he was as a freshman. Senior Bazz was 20x. Giffey was 2 or 3x. Daniels was 10x the player. Night and day differences in these kids. Ollie develops players, as these four proved.
Jesus you are exhausting in your quest to be right about every one of your opinions. If either Boatright or Daniels developed as much as you claim, they'd both be in the NBA right now. And let me save you your next post - yes, I know Boat is undersized. You seem to confuse kids getting older and more experienced with actual player development. I could just as easily point out Purvis, Brimah, Facey, Hamilton, etc.

Reaction Score
Jesus you are exhausting in your quest to be right about every one of your opinions. If either Boatright or Daniels developed as much as you claim, they'd both be in the NBA right now. And let me save you your next post - yes, I know Boat is undersized.

In the three days or so you've been here you've demonstrated an off-putting tendency to assert your opinions as objective fact while insulting others that you accuse of doing the same thing.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

So it is your opinion that when JC was still coaching and had KO on his staff, KO never had a hand in developing these guys?
If you think that you are so wrong

Reaction Score
There is no guy I would rather have in the head coach position right now than KO. It seems that KO performs his best during times of adversity. His first season he coached a team of players that were bummed over not being able to participate in post season play. He led them to a 20-10 season.

Call me crazy, but I'm not giving up on this team yet. It seems that the freshman are starting to get comfortable and the veterans are accepting their new roles. KO's teams have always been raised to have fight in them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom