5 Takeaways from the McD All-Star Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

5 Takeaways from the McD All-Star Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I personally want to see the following 5 on the floor at the same time: Bria, Breanna, Brianna, Kiah and Kaleena. All those long "eeee" sounds should throroughly confuse announcers like Mike Patrick, Dave O'Brien, Caroly Peck, and yes, even our own Bob Picozzi.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't think Stewart SHOULD start...I simply said she is ready to start. Kelly derves to start and see plenty of playing time...she is glue to this team.
Wasn't talking about you, my friend. There are plenty of others that think that. I'm arguing more about what Geno will do.

Reaction Score
IMO Breanna should start instead of Doty, if only to provide stability and guidance to the "second" team. If you have a 5 on the floor consisting of Mo, BB, Tuck, Breanna and Kiah while athletic and full of promise it does not look like a totally organized unit. Put CD in there instead of Breanna and suddenly you have 2 units who are full with scorers and everything else.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
IMO Breanna should start instead of Doty, if only to provide stability and guidance to the "second" team. If you have a 5 on the floor consisting of Mo, BB, Tuck, Breanna and Kiah while athletic and full of promise it does not look like a totally organized unit. Put CD in there instead of Breanna and suddenly you have 2 units who are full with scorers and everything else.

Geno doesn't play units. He subs 1 or 2 at a time. Jefferson could sub for Doty or Hartley and the other one would still be on the court with Jefferson to provide "stability".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That would be a ridiculous and stubborn decision for Geno to make.
But it is what will happen, alex. Especially, at the start of the season when Breanna can be coached on the bench at the start of the game.

Reaction Score
Can't we split the roster into 2 teams, Uconn Storrs & Uconn Stamford? Then, next year we can have 2 teams in the final 4.:D

You absolutely stole this idea from me. I have posted it twice already. I'll see you in court:D!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But doing so completely neglects that CD needs to play when warmed up and not sit and stiffen up.

Reaction Score
I personally don't see the need for one locked in stone starting team. I could see various starting teams based on the opposition's strengths; post play, guard play team speed, etc. In this scenario you may see different freshmen start at some point.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
here's the thing, and doggy said it well. Caroline is in her first year after losing last year due to her 3rd torn ACL. frankly i think she's finally hitting her stride physically and is about at the peak of where she can expect to be after 3 ACL's.

if you watch what she does, she's NOT a scoring PG per se. but she's strong with the ball, a competent defender, good decision maker, almost as much a glue player (IMHO) as Kelly is. i don't think you can discount her leadership or what she brings in all around toughness. having said all that, i think she plays slightly even better next year. she may never average 10 PPG, but UCONN won't NEED her to do that.

i think it's pretty clear to most fans that as a freshman, Bree will be more talented and gifted a player than Caroline. but that's not WHY CD will start...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
But it is what will happen, alex. Especially, at the start of the season when Breanna can be coached on the bench at the start of the game.

I don't find it ridiculous or stubborn. It's smart. It sends a message to the younger players that you have to earn your starting position. That once you have it, you have to do something to lose it. And it will be the same when they are seniors and the next great thing is recruited.

Reaction Score

I don't think there is anyway that Breanna starts ahead of Caroline. Geno is not going to yank one of his senior captains from the starting lineup. What is a real possibility is Breanna starting in the spot vacated by Tiff instead of Kaleena. Not promoting a sophomore to the starting lineup is not the same thing as pulling a senior from the starting lineup in Genos world. Geno will do this for better rotational balance, but the players have to force their hands for this scenario to play out. I would say there is about a 45% chance that Breanna starts instead of Kaleena.

1. Breanna and Morgan both have to be ready to play. This an almost certainity to give their talent and just as importantly their background. Both were members of multiple USA Basketball teams and faced good competition in organized high school play, particularly for Morgan.

2. Kiah has to be meeting Geno's expectations for her consistent effort. Next year if she's not meeting his expeUSctations he will just give her playing time to somebody else and let that motivate her. Kiah, Breanna, and Morgan all have to be playing in a way that demands playing time. Given what Kiah has shown this year plus the motivating of competing with other talented posts everyday should make this a very likely scenario.

3. Moriah takes some time to adapt to playing UConn style basketball and earn Geno's complete confidence. This is somewhat likely in my opinion because Moriah doesn't come to UConn with the same experiences that are typical of UConn recruits that have success understanding the system quickly. Moriah didn't play at an elite high school and her home school team didn't play against those elite high school teams either like many of the other UConn players. She also hasn't played on any USA Basketball teams, and not having the same high school experience as many of the other guards probably didn't help her. She just comes to UConn without the advantage that someone like Kaleena came to UConn with having played on 3 USA basketball teams and gone to Mater Dei for high school. Moriah is going to play and make an impact because of her talent level, but it will almost certainly be a harder transition than it was for others. Now she may take to it like a duck to water once she is finally really exposed to it, but based on what I have seen of her I expect a transition period.

If those scenarios play out then I believe Geno will start Breanna to balance the rotation. Geno doesn't play 2 units, but it will be really hard to find quality playing time for Breanna, Morgan, and Kiah if all three are coming off the bench. Given that situation Geno will start Breanna and have primarily Kiah back up Stef and Morgan primarily back up Breanna. Kaleena will continue to come off the bench giving him a guard he really trusts and scoring punch off the bench that he likes. Moriah will play, but he won't be dependent on her as his guard off the bench. And Brianna Banks will have a chance to work into the rotation at least against non-competitive teams. The big thing is that the only way to effectively play 4 posts in a rotation is to start 2 of them. The post players have to force Geno's hand for Kaleena not to start, but I see it as a possibility unlike the last several years when the starting lineup was fairly obvious going into each season.

Reaction Score
Been doing a lot of thinking on the starting lineup and the way Geno has ran things in the past. Unless there is injury the starters will be the 4 returning and KML. Great players like DT, Maya, KML (anyone remember if Sales was #1?) were all players of the year in HS and started the year on the bench with the first 2 only starting after multiple injurys. As one announcer described, "when you are on the court you are either building equity or time on the bench." Well Kelly and Caroline will be seniors and have a lot of stored equity, does anyone think they will stop working hard between now and their senior year? In facat, being their senior year I could see them being more locked in then ever. Doubt either will slack off.

Now as to why it will not be the end of the world if 1 of the great freshman does not start. The start of the game may be the only time that those 5 are on the court together. Lets also remember that there is only 1 ball on the court so only 1 person can be shooting. Caroline will be there to handle the ball and help get Bria, Dolson and KML going. This will not be like hockey with 5 for 5 line changes, it will be a rotation of 9-10 players (hopefully) that will see 1-2 players changing at sub oppurtunities.

Also can not see the starting 5 depend on the style of the other team. When you are looking to be the best team in the country you do what you do and make teams adjust to you. However that first wave of subs could depend on what is working or not working.

Reaction Score
if you think back to the last time UConn had this much depth, you'll recall how Geno substituted on the 2000-2001 team.It wasn't wholesale hockey changes, but it wasn't one at a time either. He had these different cluster packages of 2 or 3 players that he would fit together to accomplish different purposes out on the court. I expect we'll see him developing similar clusters as the season goes along next year.

Reaction Score
if you think back to the last time UConn had this much depth, you'll recall how Geno substituted on the 2000-2001 team.It wasn't wholesale hockey changes, but it wasn't one at a time either. He had these different cluster packages of 2 or 3 players that he would fit together to accomplish different purposes out on the court. I expect we'll see him developing similar clusters as the season goes along next year.
I see it this way too. With so much talent on the bench, subbing in will not diminish on court effectiveness regardless of who is on the floor. With no need to conserve energy, defensive effort can be 100% at all times. What a year it may be!

Reaction Score
Watching the McD all star game (twice - with and without Abby Waner), marveling at the skill set of Breanna, Moriah and Morgan, and then reading some of the particularly astute analysis in this thread, it becomes pretty clear to me that the coaching staff could have serious "minutes" problems in the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 seasons. Notwithstanding Geno's loyalty to his seniors, I simply cannot conceive of Breanna and KML not starting next year. And the same could be said for Moriah and Morgan in the following season. I wonder whether this perceived "minutes" conundrum may be the reason why DD has not yet committed to Uconn. Where would her minutes come from?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
By the time DD got there, Kelly and Caroline would be gone, Bria would be a senior, KML a junior. She would have plenty of opportunities for minutes, or she would play a bit her freshman year and step in the year after as a sophomore.

Great players will always find minutes at UConn...but you might be right, that could be a factor. Somehow I don't think Diamond is worried about finding minutes anywhere she goes, she seems very confident in her abilities. As she should be.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Great example with the 2000-2001 teams.

Abrosimova - 24.5 mpg, 14.1 ppg
Cash - 23.8 mpg, 12.2 ppg
Taurasi - 24 mpg, 10.0 ppg
Bird - 27.7 mpg, 10.9 ppg
Williams - 19.9 mpg, 9.8 ppg
Ralph - 23.7 mpg, 9.7 ppg
Jones - 19.5 mpg, 8.7 ppg
Schumacher - 16.9 mpg, 6.3 ppg
Johnson - 17.9 mpg, 5.7 ppg

That was pretty much the regular rotation. Nine players getting between 16.9-27.7 mpg and 14.1-5.7 ppg.

Reaction Score
Not a huge difference, but the minutes are inflated some because of the major injuries. In the 19 games before Svet was injured for the season:

Bird - 27.0 mpg, 9.6 ppg
Abrosimova - 24.5 mpg, 14.1 ppg
Cash - 24.5 mpg, 12.2 ppg
Ralph - 23.5 mpg, 8.7 ppg
Taurasi - 20.8 mpg, 9.8 ppg
Williams - 19.3 mpg, 10.8 ppg
Jones - 18.0 mpg, 8.6 ppg
Johnson - 13.8 mpg, 4.4 ppg
Schumacher - 14.5 mpg, 5.8 ppg

Schumacher played in 13 of the 19 games and Johnson played in 18 of the 19 games, everyone else played in all 19 games. In looking at the individual games Geno was pretty consistent about playing all nine players over ten minutes and he even typically found double digit minutes for someone else in the games Schuey missed, usually Morgan Valley.

Reaction Score
The big takeaway from this game is that Morgan Tuck is definately one of the top 5-10 players in the country. HG has her underrated. #1 #2 and another girl who could be considered top 5 that is called a dominant class. Follow that up with Mercedes Russell who saw Louisville end weak with 2nd round loss and Diamond Deshields who saw Maryland and Duke both struggle in elite 8 and things are looking up.

Reaction Score
The big takeaway from this game is that Morgan Tuck is definately one of the top 5-10 players in the country. HG has her underrated. #1 #2 and another girl who could be considered top 5 that is called a dominant class. Follow that up with Mercedes Russell who saw Louisville end weak with 2nd round loss and Diamond Deshields who saw Maryland and Duke both struggle in elite 8 and things are looking up.
Mercedes Russell will not be at UConn....

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think the strongest lineup would be Jefferson at the point, Hartley at the 2, KML at the 3, Stewart at the 4 and Dolson at the 5. I think that Dolson can be very effective if she has someone to take some pressure off of her, which Stewart will easily do.

You would have strong three points shooters at 1-4. That would be tough to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom