5 Takeaways from the McD All-Star Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

5 Takeaways from the McD All-Star Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
please expound, thanks.
I think Day 1, Jones may be a but more ready for the college game, but Moriah has a gear with the ball in her hands that has the potential to be game changing once properly harnessed. She also sees the court on a level that is very rare for someone her age. Once she learns when to play at 100% speed and when to slow down, when to make the good pass and not the great one (yes, this was an all-star game, but Mo sometimes does that in actual games too), she could be a different kind of PG, one we haven't totally seen in the women's game. She plays PG like a man.

I think Jones is already a bit more mature and has more experience playing international ball, and is worth of a top 5 ranking for sure. Just think Mo has a higher ceiling.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hello Boneyard!

Just got home (finally) from the festivities here in Chicago including the game!

The game was really good. Not sure how it portrayed on television but was a really great atmosphere. The fans in the stands wanted a no call at the end of the game for an overtime! I was sure that was what was going to happen. From the stands ALL the girls were getting along and enjoying each other. Great nite.

Now, onto the 3 UCONN recruits!

ALL three are AMAZING!!!! Hands down.

Breanna Stewart looked relaxed and comfortable. She brought the ball up the court like a guard several times and was hitting from a different spot each time she scored. She is going to be fantastic at UCONN!

Mo Jefferson is electric! She is lighting quick with the basketball and her passing. Some of her passes she should have hesitated, but WOW!!! I dont know how many assists she had but she made some nice passes that did not result in a score. She was very impressive. and to me a good PG. She can score and distribute. GA and crew will fine tune her abilities and watch out!

Morgan Tuck! Being from Chicago, Morgan did what Morgan does. She is that good! Has been all 4 years I have watched her! It still puzzles me why Hoopgurlz has her @ #15 (I will let Eric hash that story).

All three ladies played well and I cant wait until the coaches at UCONN get them in the gym.

Watch out! Those 3 are the bench next season!

I cant wait!

GO UCONN!!!!!!
don't disagree with any of that except Breanna needs to start next season. Caroline should be in there more against good pressing teams, but my starting five is Bria, KML, Kelly, Breanna, and Stef. That is nasty and a matchup nightmare.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck on the other hand is very very refined offensively. She's just not a super athlete the way Moriah or Breanna are. Very much in the Asjha Jones mold in terms of body type and skills, but with more efficiency and consistency. Asjha was wonderfully skilled, but didn't always shoot or finish shots consistency only shooting 50% from the field.
Actually I thought I was watching Tamika Williams/Raymond (while she was Williams). Extremely efficient in the low post. Got the ball and boom it was in the hole. No extra movement needed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
1. Breanna plays her best when it actually matters. Like, for example, in the closing minutes of a tight game, where the early portions are largely meaningless judging from the play.
Loved how she scored 7 (iirc) point in a row down the stretch to make sure her team won.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO Morgan Tuck seemed more ready to start for UConn then either Breanna or Moriah. She seems a natural to start at the forward position to added needed scoring and rebounding. My starting lineup would be Stef, Morgan, Kelly, KML and Bria at the beginning of the year. However, I think it will be Stef, Kelly, KML, Bria and Caroline. Geno will use a lot of wholesale substitutions and you will see Kiah, Morgan, Breanna, Brianna and Moriah coming in as a second unit. I think you'll see this happen until the start of Big East play or the team is playing teams like Stanford and Baylor. In those games, you'll see normal substitution patterns.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I've seen nothing that would indicate that Geno would not start Caroline and Kelly, despite the calls from the Boneyard to do differently.

My thoughts are that Hayes graduates and Lewis slides into the starting lineup.

But make no mistake, all 3 freshman will see 15-25 minutes per game. Harley averaged 32 minutes a game and that will come down to . I think Faris minutes will drop a little from 28 to around 25 and Doty might drop a couple of minutes a game as well.

With Hayes 30 minutes, and maybe another 10 by lowering minutes from other players that is around 40 minutes for the 3 freshman.

It won't be easy for Geno.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
IMHO Morgan Tuck seemed more ready to start for UConn then either Breanna or Moriah. She seems a natural to start at the forward position to added needed scoring and rebounding. My starting lineup would be Stef, Morgan, Kelly, KML and Bria at the beginning of the year. However, I think it will be Stef, Kelly, KML, Bria and Caroline. Geno will use a lot of wholesale substitutions and you will see Kiah, Morgan, Breanna, Brianna and Moriah coming in as a second unit. I think you'll see this happen until the start of Big East play or the team is playing teams like Stanford and Baylor. In those games, you'll see normal substitution patterns.

If BS is not ready to start, I need to totally relearn how basketball is played.

Reaction Score
1. Breanna plays her best when it actually matters. Like, for example, in the closing minutes of a tight game, where the early portions are largely meaningless judging from the play.

2. Moriah loves to shake 'n' bake! This girl puts on a show. And no lazy cross-court passes in her vicinity, please. She takes those the other way.

3. Besides having tons of talent, Morgan is also a very polished and savvy player. She took it to Breanna at both ends thank you very much and got off several quality shots in the lane even when Bre was in good position to defend. That takes some doing.

4. There is nothing cuter than Moriah Jefferson's grin.

5. The referees are apparently docked pay for every foul called in the McD All-Star game, except for those with under 2.0 seconds remaining.
I get absolutely nothing from these all star games. First of all the 95% of the players shoot the ball as soon as it touches their hand. Your true "team " players often take a back seat because of this. I look for athleticism, hand skills, etc. and just the entertainment value. From here , it will come down to coaching, and the individual will to improve.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I've seen nothing that would indicate that Geno would not start Caroline and Kelly, despite the calls from the Boneyard to do differently.

My thoughts are that Hayes graduates and Lewis slides into the starting lineup.

But make no mistake, all 3 freshman will see 15-25 minutes per game. Harley averaged 32 minutes a game and that will come down to . I think Faris minutes will drop a little from 28 to around 25 and Doty might drop a couple of minutes a game as well.

With Hayes 30 minutes, and maybe another 10 by lowering minutes from other players that is around 40 minutes for the 3 freshman.

It won't be easy for Geno.
That would be a ridiculous and stubborn decision for Geno to make.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Actually I thought I was watching Tamika Williams/Raymond (while she was Williams). Extremely efficient in the low post. Got the ball and boom it was in the hole. No extra movement needed.
That will be an incredible asset for the Huskies in the four years ahead. Despite not having the gaudier stats of the other members of the 2002 starters, Williams played her role as the clean-up artist so well, getting an incredible ratio of offensive rebounds to overall and of course putting them back in at an all-time NCAA record of over 70% for her career. If Tuck has the smell for the offensive rebound and can take on much of that Williams role and be something of the put-back dominator, Huskies will be even more dangerous.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Really? I hope your head doesn't explode when it happens.

What has Geno shown you that would indicate he would start anyone different than I said?

HGN

Reaction Score
6. Abby Waner got paid by the # of words uttered.
Loved the post Kibitzer.......The future looks bright for Storrs. Breanna has unlimited potential and skills galore . MoJeff is going to add handles and another gear to the backcourt. And that Tuck ! Morgan is as smooth as silk in the low post. And i say she is probably the Real Steal of the group. She is really a Top 10 player. Don't know where HG gets this #15 stuff. Tuck is a Top 10 player. Maybe higher.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have no idea what five players will cmprise the starting lineup next season.

Neither does Geno.

As they develop their game plans based upon anticipated match-ups, opposing coaches won't have nightmares until they try to deal with what UConn lineup takes the court after the first TV time out. That's when three fresh studs come off the bench. Conceivably (I am not predicting), it could be something like Stef, Breanna, Morgan, Bria and Kaleena. This (or some variation) volume of firepower would blast away while players like Kelly, Caroline, Kiah, Moriah and Brianna catch a break.

Boneyarders have all summer to shuffle lineups around and compute minutes per player per game. Then, come November, Geno will figure it out just like he always does.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Looks like Baylor will be even better next year with their 2 kids. They don't lose anyone of importance from this year.

UConn will also be better for sure. All 3 of our frosh are studs who will make instant impacts, KML and Kiah a year older and wise, ditto Hartley and Dolson, Faris, and Grandma Doty.

The level of talent in that game next year will be absurd!
i was thinking that too, but Baylor does lose Condrey, Field and Palmer. Condrey and Field only average 4.1 and 2.8 MPG and Palmer is probably a Johnson or Engeln type of player. so it's not like they lose nothing, but still, Hayes is a much bigger loss for UCONN. having said that, the 3 kids that UCONN is getting are far and away better than the recruits Baylor has coming in. still, it will be UCONN and Baylor, and then everyone else, and for everyone else, Duke is the clear (IMHO) leader of the next group.

Reaction Score

Assuming your meaning is that either Caroline or Kelly will not start then I agree 100%.

Morgan Tuck is ready to start right now.

I saw her playing with focus and consistency for the entire game.

Sorry, but, IHMO, there is no way that Kelly will out perform Morgan at the 4 spot.

(Oh, BTW, we may have missed getting a very good player in Bria Holmes!)

(Oh, oh, I may have forgotten that the Kelly of the last two games makes the decision, about starters, a whole nother matter!)

Peace,

John Fryer

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
There is no way Kelly will outperform Morgan? Kelly, the senior with two years starting experience, who often has to gaurd players much bigger than her and does so better than anyone in the country? Won't outperform an untested (and admittedly very talented) freshman?

I am biased, clearly, because of the whole her being my hero thing, but still...Kelly Faris not outperforming a freshman! Come on...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
aside from all the glowing comments from the BY'ers about our kids, one thing that also stood out to me about Moriah, aside from her blinding speed, was her ability to shoot a bullet, no look pass. the kid is NOT a "shoot first" PG, even in an all star game. she was perfectly happy to play some great defense, fake the defenders out of their shoes, and (mostly) attempt precise bullet passes to anyone who was open. of course i think she scored 8 or so points along the way. she's going to be absolutely dazzling at UCONN.

and much to the consternation of other fans watching the game, while Waner did tend to babble, i loved how much she glowingly hyped the UCONN recruits. they must have said at least 20 times that Bree showed why she's the best player in the class. and Morgan Tuck - someone likened her to Ashja Jones and i can see that totally. Strong, smooth, smart, and she already has a terrific 3 point shot and is a terrific FT shooter. no Tina Charles bricklayers on the team lol...

i also wanted to add i was very impressed with Bria Holmes. the kid proved she belonged there and it's the first time i saw her. i'm surprised that Geno and UCONN couldn't find a place for her. Perhaps it's because her game is so similar to Diamond's.

I also was impressed with the Kentucky recruit (don't recall her name - Niya or Nirra?) as well as the kid going to Syracuse - Butler i think? i thought it was interesting that besides Tuck, and Stewart at the end, none of the post players could really finish in the lane. I also was impressed with Alexis Jones. she didn't score a lot, but she's crafty and has a more mature game than Moriah at this point. i think Moriah has a much higher upside. but in a way i can see why USA basketball wanted Jones over Jefferson at this point. give them both a year in their respective colleges tho, and i think it will be a different story.

i was unimpressed with a good number of the other players. Jordan Adams, Jewell Loyd and Michaela Mabery come to mind off the bat. Neither showed me anything impressive - speed, shooting, decision making, etc. and a host of post players did very little as well - Howard, Collier, and Agee were largely invisible. and where was Imani Stafford? was she injured?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
- Howard, Collier, and Agee were largely invisible. and where was Imani Stafford? was she injured?
Collier and Agee both impressed me quite a bit. Collier had 2-3 blocks (along with the foul). Agee rebounded very well and got the ball out on the break quickly. Had no trouble getting up and down the floor for a big.

You are not going to see a lot in an All-star game from the bigs, not designed for them. But I thought those 2 stood out.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
BS scored on a left-handed hook shot, a layup, a 15 ft jump shot, and a 3 point shot…nuff said.

Reaction Score
By the way, there's been some talk about Mo versus Alexis Jones and whether Jones should be the higher ranked player. My contention is Mo has a skill set that is unique and special, and that HG absolutely has it right.
At this point, it's immaterial as to who is better. Once Geno & crew gets their hands on her, there is no doubt in my mind that Mo Jef will come out on top. (No disrespect for the Duke coaching staff intended).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I love how all 3 incoming freshman played. They are a dynamic trio and will be amazing for 4 years.

That being said, there is NO way that Geno puts Kelly and Caroline on the bench. Two seniors who started every game they have played at UConn. Not now, not later. If you think that Geno doesn't know that Lewis slides in Hayes' spot in the starting lineup, then I don't know what team you have been watching.

Geno is loyal, and maybe to some, to a fault.

The 2 of the 3 freshman will start the year after and for three years. I'm thinking Jefferson for Doty and Stewart for Faris. I think that Tuck will come off the bench for 2 years and start her last two years.

With 10 viable players next year, this will be Geno's deepest team. It won't be easy to dole out the playing time but things like this tend to work themselves out.

Yes, I know that many here think that Stewart has to start, but this team, with Doty and Faris starting has a chance to win it all. And Lewis is playing plenty. At UConn, you have to wait your turn.

Reaction Score
Can't we split the roster into 2 teams, Uconn Storrs & Uconn Stamford? Then, next year we can have 2 teams in the final 4.:D

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I don't think Stewart SHOULD start...I simply said she is ready to start. Kelly derves to start and see plenty of playing time...she is glue to this team.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I love how all 3 incoming freshman played. They are a dynamic trio and will be amazing for 4 years.

That being said, there is NO way that Geno puts Kelly and Caroline on the bench. Two seniors who started every game they have played at UConn. Not now, not later. If you think that Geno doesn't know that Lewis slides in Hayes' spot in the starting lineup, then I don't know what team you have been watching.

Geno is loyal, and maybe to some, to a fault.

The 2 of the 3 freshman will start the year after and for three years. I'm thinking Jefferson for Doty and Stewart for Faris. I think that Tuck will come off the bench for 2 years and start her last two years.

With 10 viable players next year, this will be Geno's deepest team. It won't be easy to dole out the playing time but things like this tend to work themselves out.

Yes, I know that many here think that Stewart has to start, but this team, with Doty and Faris starting has a chance to win it all. And Lewis is playing plenty. At UConn, you have to wait your turn.
Kelly didn't start her freshman year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds