3X3, U18 World Cup (merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

3X3, U18 World Cup (merged)

Reaction Score
I think the US can still go through the gauntlet tomorrow 3 against 4 and win the gold. Won't be easy but that lineup is so quick now and has such IQ that their opponents are up against a buzzsaw.
I agree. Roberson was a very effective rim protector but I don't think only having 3 is a problem. If it's 3 games? it's only a 30 minute workout with TO's and not having to run a full floor. A single practice at UConn would be tougher than that. And coach Elliot seemed to like what she was seeing in that short look at her.

Reaction Score
I doubt she’ll need to be a primary defender for quick guards on UCONN, post players are typically slower and that’s likely who she’ll match up with.
That's why in part Sarah is preferable as a PF on Defense and not a SF.

She is such a potential "force."

Reaction Score
Strong ending game 2:

Sarah... not to be denied!!!! AN IRRESITABLE FORCE!!!!
USA Quarterfinal oppponent yet to be determined. It will be
the # 2 team from Group B. Germany now 3- 0 in multiple close
games plus the O.T. game vs France in game #1. France is 2-1 Spain is 2 -1
and Hungary is 2-1. Germany has yet to play Hungary 2-1, later today. Turkemenistan is the only
term already eliminated from the Quarterfinals. Final games of this group (GROUP B) is
later today ( Thursday ). The exact # 1 and #2 team for Group B may be decided by one of
the multiple tiebreakers. Of course Germany needs to lose to Hungary at 2:35 today to create
the need for most of the tiebreakers.
USA quarterfinal game is tomorrow 8/30 at 9:05 AM against GROUP B # 2 team, see above.
The Semifinal for the USA half of the bracket is also on 8/30 at 12:20 PM and
the Final Championship Gold Medal game is (again) on 8/30 at 6:30 PM. Check with
FIBA webpage for exact opponent and ?? time changes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's what we need! A demoralizing killer instinct! Looking forward to Strong in a UConn uniform this fall!
The two playing with Sarah are also Players of Interest for UCONN, so this gauntlet may result in hardware to launch more UConn Huskies than just Sarah's college career....

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Their last pool play game is today i know but does anyone know the schedule of the tournament after pool play? Worried about those girls only having 3 players.
Should the USA team continue to advance there are three more game until the "GOLD MEDAL" game.
All three games are tomorrow, 8/30, Friday. USA quarterfinal game is at (I believe) at 9:05 AM. The
opponent still undecided due to tight Group B standings, those games are still in progress. The USA will play the second ranked
team in "B" Group. It could be Germany, Spain, or France!! Then the Semis, at 12:20 PM ?? and, if they continue to win with only 3 players
the Gold Medal Game at 3:10 PM EST. It would be played at 9:10 PM, Debrecen, Hungary. Getting the second
ranked team in Group B is not to get a weak team! My guess is that the Semifinal game could be the real
GOLD game. The other side of the bracket has UKRAINE (my choice to advance), China, Japan (a very good
team) and Mexico.

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong with the BEAUTIFUL " DIME" NICE!
Yeah u can tell she loves to pass. In one of the games today she was open under the basket for a layup and she did a behind the head pass for a 3. The three missed, but it was a fun play. But the passing is pretty unique for a big. And since Jana is a scorer, I can see them complimenting each other well.

Reaction Score
Am I crazy/biased when I watch Sarah or does she just not play like a teenager? Her skill set seems so advanced to me it always feels like I am watching someone in their mid 20s play pick up with high schoolers but maybe its my blue and white colored glasses? I don't remember seeing a player come in to college with this kind of game before. Obviously not saying she's the BEST player to come in to college but maybe the most unique top prospect in a while.
"Seeing" is believing! If Sarah is not the MVP of the tournament it is only because
she is facilitating her teammates and is making beautiful passes and dropping incredible
"dimes". The second possible choice is Jasmine Davidson. Jasmine is a " bucket" and
is rather quick and has many blocks to her credit. All the USA players are great on "D".
Many thought that SARAH was the MVP last year in the USA 3X3 gold medal winning team.
The repeat MVP was the Freshman at LSU, of course I block on her name, M. Williams??, won because of her
scoring prowess.

Reaction Score

A wonderful highlight reel for Sarah. Poland never got
out of the starting block with Sarah's multiple 2 pointers ( 3 point range ),
drives, and rebounds. Watch the whole USA vs Poland game
on YOUTUBE replay and you'll see one Polish player spread eagled
on the court almost not wanting to get "off the mat". The announcer
was explicit in declaring the USA's dominance in the whole tournament
and particularly in defeating the previously undefeated Polish squad 3-0, 21-4 (If
I recall properly).

Reaction Score
Sarah missed a few shots but also made a bunch and had a fabulous bounce pass for an assist. Think she looked a bit vulnerable defensively against quick players off the dribble.

At UConn she'll have El Alfy behind her, discouraging any driving. :)

All the US players were letting players drive around them but they followed and blocked a high % of the shots.

Reaction Score
I think the US can still go through the gauntlet tomorrow 3 against 4 and win the gold. Won't be easy but that lineup is so quick now and has such IQ that their opponents are up against a buzzsaw.

That's why in part Sarah is preferable as a PF on Defense and not a SF.

She is such a potential "force."

pf - power inside
sf - elite perimeter shooter

Is this going to be 4 years of "less filling vs tastes great"? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Dang, I hate seeing non-contact knee injuries; it’s really too bad for Arianna Roberson.

Observation: this happens a lot in women’s basketball. An awful lot, with emphasis on the ‘awful’. I don’t know that there is an answer, “what can be done different?”

Reaction Score
TODAY's First Game USA 4- 0 (3 players?) vs Spain 3-1 (4 players and from a much
tougher Group , group B). TOTAL POINTS: USA 84 points, 21 points per game, Spain
70 total points, 17.5 points per game. The game is at 9:05 AM today, Friday.
So, USA loses their tallest player: Arianna. Here is Spain's Roster;
Ines Monje 186 cm = 73.22 inches = 6 feet 1 inch +
Jana Martin 170 cm = 66. 92 inches = 5 feet 7 inches
Lucia Palmer 191 cm = 75.19 inches = 6 feet 3 inches +; .. Sarah is 190 cm = 174.80 inches 6 ' 2" + ( but stronger)
Naia Rojo 180 cm = 70.866 inches = 5 feet 11 inches
So Spain vs USA ... with the USA at 6' 1" , 6' 1", and 6 ' 2" +
Group B, IMHO, was a tougher draw with both FRANCE and HUNGARY being knocked out!
Tired legs for the USA as the games progress? Spain and other teams "better" with their
chemistry and experience in tougher games?? NOTE, the USA was never tested.... Now we get
one of the more TESTED teams with Spain. Alternate point of view: USA is the BEST DEFENSIVE TEAM
in the tournament?? eg blocked shots? or was it just the lesser competition with less offense?
Here is the new Bracket: (Quarterfinal matchups)
UKRAINE 3-0 vs China 2 - 1
USA 4-0 vs Spain 3 - 1
opposite bracket: Germany 4-0 ( THESE LADIES WIN THE CLOSE GAMES!!)
Poland 3-1
and Japan 3 - 0 vs Mexico 2 -1 GREAT GAMES AHEAD! GO SARAH, GO JASMINE!
Go Saniyah! and cheer them home, Arianna!! Z

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
China beats the Ukraine and would be the US's opponent in the semi.

Reaction Score
US methodically beats Spain 18-12 to advance to the semis.

Spain missed 7 Ft's or else it would've been really tight.
Next up Ukraine 3- 0 or China 2 -1 to meet USA at 12:20 PM in the SEMIFINAL GAME.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The quarter against Spain was very physical for a 3x3. Lots of fouls, lots of foul shots, not a ton of rhythm.

Strong had 5 points, all down low. Hall was really aggressive and tough inside again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom