30 chosen for 2017 National Team Training Camp | Page 2 | The Boneyard

30 chosen for 2017 National Team Training Camp

Reaction Score
I can see 9 sure players that will make the USA National Team (FROM THIS LIST).

1. Bird
2. Charles
3. Delle Donne
4. Fowles
5. Griner
6. Moore
7. Ogwumike
8. Stewart
9. Taurasi

To round out the 12 players roster, I select the following 3;

10. Diggins-Smith
11. Loyd
12. Aja Wilson (Collegiate, just because Dawn is the coach)

Reaction Score
Pretty weird list. I don't understand why any of the college players are on here especially if they aren't seniors, especially seniors. I think the the only time college players should get to attend training camps and anything dealing with USA national team is when they are elite i.e. Maya Moore, Breanna Stewart. Maybe they are giving them experience because some of these players may not participate in the next Olympics and some won't be at the camp because they'll be in the WNBA finals.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can see 9 sure players that will make the USA National Team (FROM THIS LIST).

1. Bird
2. Charles
3. Delle Donne
4. Fowles
5. Griner
6. Moore
7. Ogwumike
8. Stewart
9. Taurasi

To round out the 12 players roster, I select the following 3;

10. Diggins-Smith
11. Loyd
12. Aja Wilson (Collegiate, just because Dawn is the coach)
Not a bad list. I think at least 7 of the 9, if healthy, are locks. One question is: Who is TOO old? Are Sue and Diana in that category? Also, do Augustus and McCoughtry make it? Angel didn't play this year, but she can be a demon on the court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The names on this list are interesting, as are those omitted. Since this is merely a training camp, and not a pool for an Olympic Team, I'm not too concerned. How many of these players will be invited to the next national team selection camp?

IF these 30 players were vying for the 12 roster spots, some of them would not stand a snow ball's chance in he** of making this team. It will be a good experience for the younger players for the next selection team camp.

It would not be difficult to pare this list down to 12 right now, and still leave some experienced veterans that deserve to make it off the team.
I don't see why it can't be both the 'pool' and training event to provide a good run for those that will be eventually selected.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Pretty weird list. I don't understand why any of the college players are on here especially if they aren't seniors, especially seniors. I think the the only time college players should get to attend training camps and anything dealing with USA national team is when they are elite i.e. Maya Moore, Breanna Stewart. Maybe they are giving them experience because some of these players may not participate in the next Olympics and some won't be at the camp because they'll be in the WNBA finals.
Maybe they are thinking about the World Championship in a few months and getting ready for that.

Reaction Score
and UConn supplies 11 of the 30. :D

Javaman could show some humility. How about
and UConn supplies only 11 of the 30.

2. Candace Parker and the Lady Vols could not join the camp because of prior commitments.

3. I do not watch WNBA regularly. Is Kiah Stokes that good?

4. Did Tiffany Hayes' Azeri citizenship run out last year? (Thanks to others who posted it earlier)

5. Why are Chong and Montgomery not on this list? (MoJo is injured)

6. Is Glory Johnson absent because: (a) she is not good enough; (b) Griner is here; (c) because of prior commitments?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I would bet the College players are on the list to have more practice players available and for future consideration to make 2020 and later teams. Who knows how many of the WNBA players will be available due to the WNBA playoffs

Reaction Score
As UCONN fan I'm very happy to see the number of our former and current players... and congratulate KLS and Pheesa for being called. This can only help them elevate their games, and thus the Huskies going in to the new season NCAA WBB season. Work hard ladies, stay healthy!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As UCONN fan I'm very happy to see the number of our former and current players... and congratulate KLS and Pheesa for being called. This can only help them elevate their games, and thus the Huskies going in to the new season NCAA WBB season. Work hard ladies, stay healthy!
It will be a little like Maya and Stewie playing with Team USA while still in college. They will see what the next level looks like up close and try to adjust their games. Stewie will be stronger and better than they remember, and they will struggle against the likes of Maya, Tina, and Nneka. But that's ok. They won't see any opposing players like Maya, Tina, and Nneka in college ball.

Reaction Score
No Gabby Williams?

USA Basketball threw Gabby out with the bathwater after the baptismal.
At this point we do not know if they were specially advised by Geno Auriemma to do that.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well it would seem to me that unless you have a real injury, "other commitments and rest requirements" is pretty unacceptable.

"If the top two seeds, Minnesota and Los Angeles, advance to the Finals, as they did last year, that will mean nine listed players won't be able to participate. Right now, there is no plan to add any others to this camp, but USA Basketball may consider it".

I could see players being unable to make it because they are in the finals, but to announce now speaks volumes about their commitment to USA Basketball.

Interesting that the two most controversial ommissions from the 2016 Olympic team were Nneka and Parker. Nneka accepted the invitation to participate in the upcoming training camp (though she will likely miss because of the WNBA finals) and her Sparks teammate Parker declined. Between the two, one could fairly argue that Nneka was the more aggrieved as she played for Team USA at the world championships in Istanbul in 2014 and played really well. Parker, on the other hand, backed out of the world championships because of some undisclosed minor surgery and that decision played a part in why she didn't make the Olympic team.

Nneka will be on the world championship team next year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This is an interesting list but I think people need to realize this is NOT and Olympic team 'trial'. It is a training camp scheduled 18 months before the next NT competition and a chance for a lot of players get their feet wet within the USA system, and a chance for everyone to get acquainted with the new coaching staff.

Four years ago, in September of 2013 and 12 months before the 2014 world championships, USA Basketball held a training camp and invited several experienced USA basketball players as well as a handful of college players (e.g., Stewart, McBride, Dolson, Kaleena, Hartley, Sims). The goal was to accomplish just as you suggest. USA Basketball is doing the same thing now, approximately 12 months before the 2018 World Cup in Spain.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yup, some thought that there was a new Dawn in USA Basketball, but turns out talent continues to rule.
crock tears.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Huskies past and present invited to USA training camp

USA women's basketball roster taking shape for training camp

"USA Basketball announced a list of 30 players who have accepted invitations to participate in the upcoming women's national team training camp, and it includes five current collegians: UConn juniors Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson, Louisville junior Asia Durr, Ohio State senior Kelsey Mitchell and South Carolina senior A'ja Wilson.

"I've had a lot of time to think about the things we want to run, and I'm looking forward to putting it in motion," Staley said in a statement. "I'm pleased that we got this amount of top-quality players committed to this training camp."

Collier, Samuelson To Join 9 Former UConn Players In Team USA Camp

Reaction Score

I think it's a huge mistake to not keep an eye on young talent and integrate them into the pools. Let's be honest, in 4-6 years, they will be the National Team. You have to have some flow to this and see who works well where. USA soccer brings high school kids into camps to keep an eye on them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Interesting that the two most controversial ommissions from the 2016 Olympic team were Nneka and Parker. Nneka accepted the invitation to participate in the upcoming training camp (though she will likely miss because of the WNBA finals) and her Sparks teammate Parker declined. Between the two, one could fairly argue that Nneka was the more aggrieved as she played for Team USA at the world championships in Istanbul in 2014 and played really well. Parker, on the other hand, backed out of the world championships because of some undisclosed minor surgery and that decision played a part in why she didn't make the Olympic team.

Nneka will be on the world championship team next year.
Nneka is smart. Accept the invite even if you can't be there due to hopefully your team being in the WNBA finals. She's also deserving. I hope you are right and she makes it. On the other hand...

One poster said Parker had "prior commitments". The dates of the training camp should not have come as a surprise. Every player who has Olympic team aspirations had to know when the approx. dates were. One of the most important tenets of being part of Team USA is subjugating everything personal for the team. It does not appear that Parker has learned that, and it would not surprise me to see her left off the team again.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nneka is smart. Accept the invite even if you can't be there due to hopefully your team being in the WNBA finals. She's also deserving. I hope you are right and she makes it. On the other hand...

One poster said Parker had "prior commitments". The dates of the training camp should not have come as a surprise. Every player who has Olympic team aspirations had to know when the approx. dates were. One of the most important tenets of being part of Team USA is subjugating everything personal for the team. It does not appear that Parker has learned that, and it would not surprise me to see her left off the team again.

Voepel wrote that Angel and Parker were among those who declined the invitation because of "other commitments, injuries and rest requirements." There's no way Parker declined because of a prior commitment unless that prior commitment would also prevent her from playing in the WNBA finals should the Sparks get there. I suspect that after not making the 2016 Olympic team Parker doesn't want to be in a position of trying out for the team and not making it again. I get that and fortunately Nneka isn't thinking the same way. Nneka of course is younger and doesn't have the same stature and history with USA Basketball.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

4. Did Tiffany Hayes' Azeri citizenship run out last year? (Thanks to others who posted it earlier)

I've read a lot of snark but I've yet to read why exactly Tiffany Hayes would not be eligible to play for Team USA in the World Cup or the 2020 Olympics. She would be eligible under both organization's rules. Is there a USA Basketball or USA Olympic Committee bylaw that would prevent a player with dual citizenship from playing for USA Basketball? Why would she be invited by USA Basketball if there were such a bylaw?

I don't see Tiff making the team but that is based on merit and not on the fact that she played for Azerbaijan in the European Games, a non-FIBA competition.

Reaction Score
I've read a lot of snark but I've yet to read why exactly Tiffany Hayes would not be eligible to play for Team USA in the World Cup or the 2020 Olympics. She would be eligible under both organization's rules. Is there a USA Basketball or USA Olympic Committee bylaw that would prevent a player with dual citizenship from playing for USA Basketball? Why would she be invited by USA Basketball if there were such a bylaw?

I don't see Tiff making the team but that is based on merit and not on the fact that she played for Azerbaijan in the European Games, a non-FIBA competition.

Thank you. I fully agree that there are no laws preventing Hayes from attending USA Basketball camps.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sydney Wiese over Allisha Gray is a joke. I guess being the ROY doesn't count for anything nowadays.

Why do you say Wiese was chosen over Gray? They are different players and Weise's ability to play point guard separates her from other guards playing in the WNBA. The point is a position of uncertainty going forward so I'm glad USA Basketball is looking at Weise. She plays behind some pretty good guards in LA but I believe she'll be a very good WNBA player when she gets her chance.

Reaction Score
Looking at the last Olympic roster, Catchings is gone and while I love these ladies, I would say Whalen and Augustus bow out. Both have contributed greatly to the national team but it's time some young guards join Bird and Taurasi if those two In fact wind up playing in 18. McCoughtry too has done her time and I would use these 4 available spots for Diggins, Loyd or MoJeff, Nneka, and Wilson. There is plenty of talent to field another starting 5, but just thinking about the next Olympic cycle. I truly didn't think Diana or Sue would stick around for another cycle but both looked terrific in 16 and this season. They may gut out one more WC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom