30 chosen for 2017 National Team Training Camp | The Boneyard

30 chosen for 2017 National Team Training Camp

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
At least they spelled Gray correctly. I guess Jasmine Thomas and Elizabeth Williams can go seek foreign citizenship somewhere

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Why does USAB hate Gabby Williams? Discuss

pitchforks_and_torches_by_themobplz.jpg

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There are some names on there that are a little baffling to me. Layshia Clarendon? Sydney Wiese?

On the other hand, no Allisha Gray?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I hear Hungary is nice this time of year.

My initial response/thought would have gotten me banned... So I'll go with my third thought and say that I'll forward the information to them :rolleyes:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My initial response/thought would have gotten me banned... So I'll go with my third thought and say that I'll forward the information to them :rolleyes:

My inbox is open, especially to responses not fit for public consumption ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good to see all the great guards on there - I know there was lots of debate regarding the future guards for team USA since Augustus, Bird, Taurasi and Whalen are all getting long in the tooth. So proud of all the current and former UCONN players. What a tremendous list of the best players in the world!

For all the hysteria surrounding Parker being left off the 2016 Olympic team, she's not even invited among the 30 best of the best for team USA tryouts? Guess it WASN'T about Geno - wonder who they blame this time... :rolleyes:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
For all the hysteria surrounding Parker being left off the 2016 Olympic team, she's not even invited among the 30 best of the best for team USA tryouts? Guess it WASN'T about Geno - wonder who they blame this time... :rolleyes:

Per Voepel's article on ESPN, she declined an invitation

upload_2017-9-7_13-15-54.png

US women's training camp roster taking shape

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The names on this list are interesting, as are those omitted. Since this is merely a training camp, and not a pool for an Olympic Team, I'm not too concerned. How many of these players will be invited to the next national team selection camp?

IF these 30 players were vying for the 12 roster spots, some of them would not stand a snow ball's chance in he** of making this team. It will be a good experience for the younger players for the next selection team camp.

It would not be difficult to pare this list down to 12 right now, and still leave some experienced veterans that deserve to make it off the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
While I'm happy to see her on the list, didn'tTiff H. Play for another country and as such in eligible? And where is MoJeff?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Per Voepel's article on ESPN, she declined an invitation

There are some players, including past Olympians Candace Parker (Los Angeles) and Angel McCoughtry (Atlanta), who declined invitations to this camp because of other commitments, injuries and rest requirements. That does not mean they won't be eligible for future USA Basketball events.
Well it would seem to me that unless you have a real injury, "other commitments and rest requirements" is pretty unacceptable.

"If the top two seeds, Minnesota and Los Angeles, advance to the Finals, as they did last year, that will mean nine listed players won't be able to participate. Right now, there is no plan to add any others to this camp, but USA Basketball may consider it".

I could see players being unable to make it because they are in the finals, but to announce now speaks volumes about their commitment to USA Basketball.

Reaction Score
Sydney Wiese over Allisha Gray is a joke. I guess being the ROY doesn't count for anything nowadays.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There are some names on there that are a little baffling to me. Layshia Clarendon? Sydney Wiese?

On the other hand, no Allisha Gray?
I don't think Layshia Clarendon is that baffling. She's the second leading assist leader in the WNBA this past season. She's really elevated her game. I think they are just looking at some of the younger guards all around for the future. Wiese on the other hand is a bit surprising.

Reaction Score
I don't follow the wnba but has Tuck even played a full season in the league since she left Uconn?

Carnac

Reaction Score
While I'm happy to see her on the list, didn'tTiff H. Play for another country and as such in eligible? And where is MoJeff?

Moriah Jefferson - will continue to rehab her knee injury this winter. It was reported here in the yard on August 24, that she will NOT play overseas this winter, but will remain in the states and continue her rehab treatments and conditioning. It would not surprise me to see her turn up in Storrs for treatment and rehab like Tuck did last year.

The announcement of her resigning is here: EUROBASKET NEWS

The news of her release here: Moriah will apparently not play for six months. Galatasaray cancelled her contract because of her injury. [LINK]

Maybe she does need surgery and thus won't go overseas this season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I don't think Layshia Clarendon is that baffling. She's the second leading assist leader in the WNBA this past season. She's really elevated her game. I think they are just looking at some of the younger guards all around for the future. Wiese on the other hand is a bit surprising.

Fair enough, I've watched less WNBA this season. I really have never thought of her as a good WNBA player let alone a USAB candidate.

Looking at her stats, I do see that her assist totals have spiked this season. Interestingly, her PER has actually gone down, likely due to her shooting percentage dropping substantially.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What's Tiffany Hayes doing on this list? Doesn't she play for one of those eastern European countries that I can't spell?

Carnac

Reaction Score
My inbox is open, especially to responses not fit for public consumption ;)

I like your style Orangutan. You sound like a true news person open to all avenues or sources of news and information. :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is an interesting list but I think people need to realize this is NOT and Olympic team 'trial'. It is a training camp scheduled 18 months before the next NT competition and a chance for a lot of players get their feet wet within the USA system, and a chance for everyone to get acquainted with the new coaching staff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom