30 chosen for 2017 National Team Training Camp | Page 5 | The Boneyard

30 chosen for 2017 National Team Training Camp

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Frankly I don't care whether Candace was left off of the team because of her own self absorbed nature, because Geno didn't want her there, whether her teammates felt she was a team obliterator, whether the committee felt she wasn't team oriented enough/didn't fit well with the squad, or any combination of the former. I like our Olympic chances with or without her. Life's too short for this noise.
I will admit though the camera finds her easy on the eyes.
I care that people not make up their own version of events and pretended to be in the know because it dishonors ALL the people involved. That kind of innuendo should be left to the orange colored board. I agree that Candace is easy on the eyes but that is as irrelevant as where Candace went to school or the fact that the US was going to win the Gold anyway.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I care that people not make up their own version of events and pretended to be in the know because it dishonors ALL the people involved. That kind of innuendo should be left to the orange colored board. I agree that Candace is easy on the eyes but that is as irrelevant as where Candace went to school or the fact that the US was going to win the Gold anyway.
The last part of my comment was tongue in cheek. I mean, there I was saying I have no opinion about anything then giving a left field opinion? It kind of sums up all the opinions everyone has on her being left of the team and as to her responses.

Okay it was silly of me.

Reaction Score
My 2018 Worlds roster based on who made themselves available
Bird/Whalen
Taurasi/Augustus/Diggins
Moore/Delle Donne
Ogwumike/Stewart/Wilson
Fowles/Griner

My bubble guards
CGray, Sims

Reaction Score
My 2018 Worlds roster based on who made themselves available
Bird/Whalen
Taurasi/Augustus/Diggins
Moore/Delle Donne
Ogwumike/Stewart/Wilson
Fowles/Griner

My bubble guards
CGray, Sims

Pretty hard for me to envision a team that doesn't include Tina Charles. If it were up to me, I'd replace Griner with Charles and never look back. But it's not up to me, and I can't see the committee leaving Griner off the team. It's more likely that A'ja Wilson will have to wait a few more years.

Reaction Score
Pretty hard for me to envision a team that doesn't include Tina Charles. If it were up to me, I'd replace Griner with Charles and never look back. But it's not up to me, and I can't see the committee leaving Griner off the team. It's more likely that A'ja Wilson will have to wait a few more years.

It appears that Charles didn't make herself available. She's not listed for camp.

It's worked out beautifully for Wilson to make the team.

Reaction Score
It appears that Charles didn't make herself available. She's not listed for camp.

It's worked out beautifully for Wilson to make the team.

Does that take her out of contention for the 2018 Worlds then? While those who are not attending camp because they are WNBA finalists can still make the team?

Reaction Score
I'd choose one of Bird/Whalen and then move on to the future w/ the slot that opened up for a younger guard.

Agree with this, but it probably won't happen until after the 2018 Worlds, when personally I hope that all three of Bird, Whalen and Taurasi will step aside to make room for fresh faces. Heck, I'd love to see Courtney Williams make the team, and I'm really hoping that Moriah Jefferson will be healthy and able to contend for a spot as well.

Reaction Score
The team is not going to be selected based on this training camp. There will be another camp and the team will be chosen next year late August/early September. Barring injury, Tina Charles will be on the team.

Does that mean other players could be considered, like Parker changing her mind, McCoughtry, and whoever else? I think making the camps does make a difference.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Does that mean other players could be considered, like Parker changing her mind, McCoughtry, and whoever else? I think making the camps does make a difference.

I'm pretty sure Parker slammed the door but I'd be surprised if Angel isn't part of the group at the next training camp. It could be that Tina needs a break or has another commitment; either way, I'm sure she talked it over with Carol Callan. If there is a camp to miss, this 3 days in Santa Barbara is it. This is a camp to introduce the players to Dawn as head coach and to introduce some young players to the senior national team. As was the case in 2014, there will be another more serious training camp and exhibition games early next Sept and the team will then be selected.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Parker's overt brattiness since being left off the Olympic team has pretty much put the nail in the coffin of her USA Basketball career. There'd be some serious amends to make.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom