2nd half Mojo fixing thread- Md vs UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2nd half Mojo fixing thread- Md vs UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maybe. And if Maryland hadn't lost 2 players to injury, maybe they win. My point is that UCONN fans overwhelmingly predicted a 30-40 point win. Maybe it would have happened with KML, maybe not, but it's funny how UCONN "struggles " on offense when we play good teams and people try to chalk it up to "but if we made the shots we usually make, we win by a lot more"...

It's highly possible that the reason UCONN didn't make the shots it normally makes is because Maryland played a terrific game.
Difference is when making those pre game predictions people knew the MD guards were missing and did not know that KML would only play 13 minutes.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
UCONN also misses shots it normally makes vs. the cupcakes, meaning the miss 3's, etc etc. I think UCONN fans need to give some credit to Maryland's defense. This was hardly the blowout that most fans expected (see the guess the score thread). This game was not close because "UCONN had a bad game". It was close because Maryland is a good team.

For those tho think UCONN beats Stanford by 20+, this should be your wake up call.
MD is a solid team and they did a nice job with their defensive spacing - we had very few open look 3's, especially in the 1st half and especially for Kaleena. That said, I don't expect us to shoot 38.3% on FG's very often.

U

UCONNfan1

MD is a solid team and they did a nice job with their defensive spacing - we had very few open look 3's, especially in the 1st half and especially for Kaleena. That said, I don't expect us to shoot 38.3% on FG's very often.
Maybe, maybe not. This was the first top 10 team UCONN played. Bria Hartley was supposedly back to 100%. UCONN won the 2nd half by 2 points. We're not good enough to be a Maryland team who is down 2 starters (and we are down 1 starter) by more than 2 points in the 2nd half? Sorry, but maybe this team is not the steamroller everyone thought it was. Baylor losing to Stanford showed that and this game showed that.

Someone really wants to argue that with Kaleena Lewis in the game, we win the 2nd half by 17 instead of by 2? I don't buy it. Our bench was supposed to be a huge advantage over Maryland. Did Banks start the 2nd half? If so, our bench scored exactly 2 points the entire game. I'm not saying the sky is falling, but it seems there is more for this team to work on (and Geno will have lots of teaching points) than some fans seem to be willing to admit.

Reaction Score
Completely disagree about Stef she is working her butt off.
Stef worked wonderfully hard today but surprisingly, missed a number of chippies and layups. Had her shot been dropping, she would have been phenomenal. Some point blank looks came away emptyhanded. Carolyn Doty missed out on a number of assists because the good passes weren't finished off. I do wish that she would have taken a few of those shots instead because I think she had some good looks that she passed up. Was maybe a little too pass oriented. I think Hartley was pretty out of sync all night long and I guess she's still affected by the layoff for her injury. I do hope she starts making some plays, making some shots. Not a very pretty game, by no means.

Reaction Score
While Kelly played a good game, I wouldn't go over board with her defense of Thomas. Alyssa was 1 for 9 against Loyola, 6 for 25 against St. Joes. Alyssa has been off all year and it's due to her added responsibilities and wanting to do too much when she is doubled up. She is exualsted out there. So don't think it was all Kelly doing this.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one sick of hearing how hard working Kelly is? Of course it's true. But she is also a crazy good basketball player. I think the constant emphasis on how hard she works is a bit insulting. Tonight has to go down as one of the great all-time regular season games by a Husky. Yes, Kelly is hard working. But more importantly she is just a fantastic basketball player.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not. This was the first top 10 team UCONN played. Bria Hartley was supposedly back to 100%. UCONN won the 2nd half by 2 points. We're not good enough to be a Maryland team who is down 2 starters (and we are down 1 starter) by more than 2 points in the 2nd half? Sorry, but maybe this team is not the steamroller everyone thought it was. Baylor losing to Stanford showed that and this game showed that.

Someone really wants to argue that with Kaleena Lewis in the game, we win the 2nd half by 17 instead of by 2? I don't buy it. Our bench was supposed to be a huge advantage over Maryland. Did Banks start the 2nd half? If so, our bench scored exactly 2 points the entire game. I'm not saying the sky is falling, but it seems there is more for this team to work on (and Geno will have lots of teaching points) than some fans seem to be willing to admit.
I'm not sure we were watching the same game tonight. I saw a really good defensive struggle between a great defensive squad and a good defensive squad. The great defensive squad won by 15 and shot an uncharacteristically low 38.3% from the floor, in no small part due to the very good effort and execution of MD.

The result was never in doubt IMHO, only the margin of victory - which you're apparently disappointed with. :confused:

Reaction Score

Well if this game showed anything it's that the team has a lot to work on. I don't think anyone really doubts that. Some of us are pretty confident that they'll figure it out.

Reaction Score
This was a game where MD had the size and the heart to mix it up in the paint...and they kept it up all game, which means they are a well-conditioned club. They've been giving up 16 TO's a game...it shouldn't surprise that they lost 27 against our press. This was an excellent game and I think Breanna will learn a lot from it...Brianna staked a claim...and Faris proved the point that erasing a 1st team AA can be pivotal (think Sims and Baylor).

Reaction Score
While Kelly played a good game, I wouldn't go over board with her defense of Thomas. Alyssa was 1 for 9 against Loyola, 6 for 25 against St. Joes. Alyssa has been off all year and it's due to her added responsibilities and wanting to do too much when she is doubled up. She is exualsted out there. So don't think it was all Kelly doing this.

Sorry...saw the game...Alyssa was neutralized in exactly the way Kelly has been doing it for some time now. This isn't a surprise to anyone here...the few times Alyssa found some space she did fine...she just couldn't muscle Faris, and given the size differential, that doesn't bear minimizing...

U

UCONNfan1

I'm not sure we were watching the same game tonight. I saw a really good defensive struggle between a great defensive squad and a good defensive squad. The great defensive squad won by 15 and shot an uncharacteristically low 38.3% from the floor, in no small part due to the very good effort and execution of MD.

The result was never in doubt IMHO, only the margin of victory - which you're apparently disappointed with. :confused:
I'm not disappointed at all. Where did you get that from? I'm pointing out that the pie in the sky estimates of a 30-40 point blowout was way overenthusiastic by UCONN fans. People on this board have said for years "Maryland plays no defense". Well they did tonight. And it was a close game.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Quad contusion.
a/k/a Charlie Horse. Bottom line, the leg goes numb and it sucks. It's no biggie and I was a little surprised she didn't return, but maybe between the recent concussion and Brianna playing so well, Geno just decided to shut her down for the night.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I'm not disappointed at all. Where did you get that from? I'm pointing out that the pie in the sky estimates of a 30-40 point blowout was way overenthusiastic by UCONN fans. People on this board have said for years "Maryland plays no defense". Well they did tonight. And it was a close game.
Sorry, I misread your tone and took it as negative. But "people" were right in the past about MD not playing defense. However, THIS Terps squad proved they can play defense. I was one who confidently predicted a 25+ point victory and would do it again.

Reaction Score
Sorry...saw the game...Alyssa was neutralized in exactly the way Kelly has been doing it for some time now. This isn't a surprise to anyone here...the few times Alyssa found some space she did fine...she just couldn't muscle Faris, and given the size differential, that doesn't bear minimizing...

I saw the game also and Alyssa had some shots and missed bad.

I guess Loyola and St. Joes had Kelly type talent that must have also limited Alyssa'ss shooting.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yeah, good idea. No doubt Baylor will leapfrog UConn in the AP rankings next week due to this devastating 15 point victory over #9 MD. :rolleyes:

Don't be so defensive. I had previously predicted UCONN to beat Stanford by 25 at Stanford but since the win over MD was 15 at home I just think that the Stanford game will be closer than I originally thought.

If Baylor thumps ND we will be #3, just like we started this week. I'm perfectly happy to wait until February to play leapfrog.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Don't be so defensive. I had previously predicted UCONN to beat Stanford by 25 at Stanford but since the win over MD was 15 at home I just think that the Stanford game will be closer than I originally thought.
Silly me...I thought you were being passive aggressive. :rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Silly me...I thought you were being passive aggressive. :rolleyes:

No, I'm aggressive aggressive. However, I've learned to recognize quickly when the "Ignore" button is my best friend.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did Baylor play at the Civic Center tonight? I didn't see them but they must have been there otherwise why would we be talking about them in a UConn game thread?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one sick of hearing how hard working Kelly is? Of course it's true. But she is also a crazy good basketball player. I think the constant emphasis on how hard she works is a bit insulting. Tonight has to go down as one of the great all-time regular season games by a Husky. Yes, Kelly is hard working. But more importantly she is just a fantastic basketball player.

Reaction Score
CD commented on the post game that Bria is really still in her preseason because of all the time she missed with the ankle injury. I suspect by the time Stanford and "that other team" rolls around, she will be back into form.

Reaction Score

[/quote

OY.....SUE: am ineptly trying to quote you and respond to you. YOURS is one of the great posts of all time on the Yard: "Tonight has to go down as one of the great all-time regular season games by a Husky." TELL it, Sue. I wasn't going to bother to get on here tonight, but when I read that, I had to chime in for you AND for Kelly. In fact, I'll raise you a bit and say it was one of the great (and there have been countless....I know, bec I must be almost 100, by the way I feel/look and have seen a WHOLE lot of basketball) ) performances by ANY basketball player. ANy pro team that passes on this gal is NUTS.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was a little surprised that Burke was a bit harsh on Hartley. But Rebecca also made a comment to the extent of "if your PG is not your best passer you've got a problem." Sims is also better at creating offense than she is at passing, IMO, and it isn't necessarily a bad thing. I love Hartley's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom