2nd half Mojo fixing thread- Md vs UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2nd half Mojo fixing thread- Md vs UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Guess I better rethink my prediction of a 25 point win at Stanford. It also appears that the players thar Baylor will be bringing off the bench (Pope, Johnson and Prince) may contribute more than the UCONN bench as Banks appears to be the only one prepared and contribute offensively. I'm not sure that Geno will go past Doty and Banks against Stanford and Baylor.
Yes, because a one-game sample size is definitely big enough to draw a conclusion.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
While Kelly played a good game, I wouldn't go over board with her defense of Thomas. Alyssa was 1 for 9 against Loyola, 6 for 25 against St. Joes. Alyssa has been off all year and it's due to her added responsibilities and wanting to do too much when she is doubled up. She is exualsted out there. So don't think it was all Kelly doing this.

Yeah you're right Kelly stinks... Your All American kid just stunk up the gym all by her self and Kelly had nothing to do with it... Too bad the tape shows that Kelly single-handedly accounted for 5 of Alyssa's 8 turnovers.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Yeah you're right Kelly stinks... Your All American kid just stunk up the gym all by her self and Kelly had nothing to do with it... Too bad the tape shows that Kelly single-handedly accounted for 5 of Alyssa's 8 turnovers.
And how many turnovers did Thomas force Faris into..???

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
While Kelly played a good game, I wouldn't go over board with her defense of Thomas. Alyssa was 1 for 9 against Loyola, 6 for 25 against St. Joes. Alyssa has been off all year and it's due to her added responsibilities and wanting to do too much when she is doubled up. She is exualsted out there. So don't think it was all Kelly doing this.
Spoiled soup.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stef worked wonderfully hard today but surprisingly, missed a number of chippies and layups. Had her shot been dropping, she would have been phenomenal. Some point blank looks came away empty handed.
A couple were clean misses but most were under very heavy contact.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You mean Kelly Faris who has only 7 TOs on the season and 0, zip, nada in the game to the 8 produced from Alyssa Thomas last night. Thomas who is 4" taller than Kelly Faris and 30+ pounds bigger.

Kelly Faris defensive player of the year. Oh, that Kelly Faris.

Reaction Score
I saw the game also and Alyssa had some shots and missed bad.

I guess Loyola and St. Joes had Kelly type talent that must have also limited Alyssa'ss shooting.

Didn't see the games so can't opine on St. Joes or Loyola. Alyssa hit some open shots and missed some open shots. Most of her shots were taken off a very tight defense that gave her a high degree of difficulty...she missed all of those. She was trying to use power moves to get space with Faris and she wasn't able to get separation that way because Faris is quick and very strong and can play the whole game. Allysa looked pretty spent by the end of the game. If she faces Faris again, she needs to have a better strategy for getting some open space.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm not sure we were watching the same game tonight.
I think UCONNfan1 has stated, he/she has not watched the game yet. I really wouldn't pay too much attention to what he/she says.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

Thomas: 6 pts., 7 rbs, 4 assists, 1 steal, 8 turnovers

Faris: 8 pts., 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 8 steals, 0 turnovers

Game, set, match...Kelly was the best player on the floor...end of story.

All American, who???

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Kelly Faris defensive player of the year. Oh, that Kelly Faris.

When was she named Defensive player of the year? Peters from ND has been the Big East DPOY for the last two years.

BTW, I thought the announcers gave Kelly her due last night, even quietly mentioning her defense on Thomas.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When was she named Defensive player of the year? Peters from ND has been the Big East DPOY for the last two years.

BTW, I thought the announcers gave Kelly her due last night, even quietly mentioning her defense on Thomas.
Campaigning Kelly for that recognition this year. What she has done defensively for UConn on anyone she was asked to guard has been amazing. Yes, the announcers did give her recognition last night and she deserved every bit of it.

Reaction Score

Not sure where to start with this one. I never said Kelly stinks, nor anything near that. Just stated that it was more than her defense that caused Alyssa to have a poor shooting night. I have shown you support with Alyssa's poor stats with teams a lot less talented than UConn which was meant to inform you that she can have some very bad offensive games. Kelly was not the first nor will she be the last to have a good defensive performance against Alyssa. You also need to take into consideration that Alyssa is sometimes playing with 3 freshmen in the line up at the same time and this also causes her to try to take on more responsibility than she can handle. You and some of your other UConn fans putting down Alyssa personally for having a bad game is just not right.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Oh the poster who always criticizes the Terps all the time for their poor defense. I must note that you didn't criticize their defense this game.

Even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Oh the poster who always criticizes the Terps all the time for their poor defense. I must note that you didn't criticize their defense this game.
No, I didn't, because I criticize what I see. Early on last night in the game thread I noted immediately that MD was playing defense with much more commitment than has been normal. In the 30-40 games I have seen them over the last 5-7 years that is rarely the case. Play like they did yesterday and they definitely will deserved more respect defensively.

Reaction Score
Didn't see the games so can't opine on St. Joes or Loyola. Alyssa hit some open shots and missed some open shots. Most of her shots were taken off a very tight defense that gave her a high degree of difficulty...she missed all of those. She was trying to use power moves to get space with Faris and she wasn't able to get separation that way because Faris is quick and very strong and can play the whole game. Allysa looked pretty spent by the end of the game. If she faces Faris again, she needs to have a better strategy for getting some open space.

I totally agree with this, especially with finding other ways to find open shots. Also, Alyssa is sometimes out there with 3 freshmen on her team and she tries to take too much on and she just can't handle it. Hopefully the freshmen can get experience to take on more responsibility. Certainly this game with UConn should really help them this year.

Reaction Score
I totally agree with this, especially with finding other ways to find open shots. Also, Alyssa is sometimes out there with 3 freshmen on her team and she tries to take too much on and she just can't handle it. Hopefully the freshmen can get experience to take on more responsibility. Certainly this game with UConn should really help them this year.

I'm sure Alyssa is carrying a heavy load...comes with the AA and there's no where to hide. I don't think anyone on the board was outright critical of her effort...we were very happy about Kelly Faris' work, however, and a lot of that has to do with how much everyone respects Alyssa's game...Kelly does this every week, but she doesn't get to play someone of Alyssa's caliber every week!

Everyone here acknowledges the good defensive effort MD put out last night...the scoreboard doesn't lie. And if the MD players weren't such gamers it could've been worse...but they are and there was no quit in the team. Would you appreciate it if we took the tack that the UCONN players were just collectively off last night, and that MD's defense wasn't a factor...I suspect not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom