28 Olympic team | Page 5 | The Boneyard

28 Olympic team

Reaction Score
I don't think the physicality aspect is overblown. When we face teams that play physical, we tend to play timid or wild. It just depends. Boston and Brink will be either wild or timid depending on the team we face.
But we're talking 4 years from now. If it were in a few months, I'd see the point. The physicality conversation on the board comes across as subjective to me.

During the season there's complaints about physicality. The SEC, the former PAC12 and BIG10 being physical conferences seem to be the main talking points. Brink and Boston came out of two of those conferences, so would it be a fair assumption they have dealt with physicality more than others?

Now they're in the WNBA where it's apparently even more physical. I watch the games like everyone else and scratch my head as I don't see the difference between college season, WNBA and FIBA being that significant. One exception is muscle strength as they don't get to train and build more before they start their rookie careers.

Maybe it's because FIBA rules are used in Canada and that's my frame of reference. I'm just thinking with a few more years of time in the WNBA and USA basketball camps and events, they'll be ready.

Reaction Score
Canada, France, Spain, Australia should be much more competitive in 4 years time, in 8-12 years I think it’ll be like the men’s side where team USA will no longer be the heavy favourite to win gold. Odds will be much closer.

Each team above could have the majority of players in the wnba.

Reaction Score
I don't think the physicality aspect is overblown. When we face teams that play physical, we tend to play timid or wild. It just depends. Boston and Brink will be either wild or timid depending on the team we face.
I agree. The physicality seriously bothered every player on on our team, even A'Ja had trouble with it. To think it won't be an issue with this crop of young players with even less experience with that style of basketball is naive.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
US players have always had to adapt to international rules and reffing - this isn't a new concept. The difference is that more and more of the US pool doesn't get exposed to international play for full seasons because they are not playing overseas, and the adjustment is much harder when you only play 8 games every two years. The first US college star player not to go overseas that I remember is Skylar Diggins and it was a 'story' when it happened. And her NT experience was underwhelming.

As far as projecting the next Olympics squad and penciling in college players .... a lot of basketball to be played and a lot of can't miss future stars of the NT have gotten derailed on the way to that future, including my personal favorite - Moriah Jefferson.

I also feel that the angst about the USA team is a bit overblown. For whatever reason, this team just didn't seem to gel - probably coaching, but also a group of guards that were up and down a lot. I don't think I can remember less passing and more dribbling, and more TOs for a US NT. Spurts of beautiful play, and spurts of what are they doing out there - quite a roller coaster.

Reaction Score
Canada, France, Spain, Australia should be much more competitive in 4 years time, in 8-12 years I think it’ll be like the men’s side where team USA will no longer be the heavy favourite to win gold. Odds will be much closer.

Each team above could have the majority of players in the wnba.
I agree about the men. Look at the draft this year on the men's side - a lot of players from France. I'm not sure how much more competitive their woman's team can get lol. I thought Belgium gave everyone a run for their money.

Reaction Score
Today's starters should all make it with little difficulty, though Chelsea is going to have to stay healthy and shoot the ball well to be considered a lock for 2028.

Sabrina will likely be back.

Aliyah and Caitlin should be next in line.

That leaves four spots up for grabs. A healthy Rhyne Howard, Paige Bueckers, and Cam Brink should be in the mix. Shakira Austin and Ariel Atkins could return for consideration. And who knows? Maybe the committee will be fair to Arike this time.

The much ballyhooed class of guards enters the WNBA in 2027. Maybe one or two of those guards will be under consideration.

That brings me to Angel Reese. While I do appreciate what she's done this season so far, I'm not sure if she'll be a must-have come 2028. There could be other posts (Kiki Iriafen, for example) in the mix by that time who may have more upside. And let's be honest. If Nneka Ogwumike (who was more talented offensively than Angel as a rookie) couldn't make a team, why should we believe that Angel will? Does Angel project to be a better player than Nneka?
Rhyne Howard never tries and has looked totally disinterested in every gamer she ever plays. I would take Alisha Gray over her.

Reaction Score
Rhyne Howard never tries and has looked totally disinterested in every gamer she ever plays. I would take Alisha Gray over her.
I would agree with this assessment when she was at Kentucky, mostly because I think was stuck in a situation where she wasn't getting the training she needed and her team relied on her to do everything. I disagree with it once she joined the W. I also think Rhyne unfortunately has a resting facial expression of disinterest, so I think we are all misreading her expressions especially when it is combined with her lack of showing big emotions. This angle about her is a little overplayed. She wouldn't have been given the opportunity to play in the Olympics or gotten rookie of the year without having a love for the game.

Reaction Score
I would agree with this assessment when she was at Kentucky, mostly because I think was stuck in a situation where she wasn't getting the training she needed and her team relied on her to do everything. I disagree with it once she joined the W. I also think Rhyne unfortunately has a resting facial expression of disinterest, so I think we are all misreading her expressions especially when it is combined with her lack of showing big emotions. This angle about her is a little overplayed. She wouldn't have been given the opportunity to play in the Olympics or gotten rookie of the year without having a love for the game.

Agreed. I've seen her on the sidelines during Dream games this season and she genuinely wants to compete. Hoping to see her have a strong second half after winning the bronze in Paris.

Reaction Score
I seem to recall a lot of folks sure that Rhyne was vastly overrated and would be a big flop professionally.

Then she was rookie of the year, 2-time all star, and made the 3x3 Olympic team.

Reaction Score
US players have always had to adapt to international rules and reffing - this isn't a new concept. The difference is that more and more of the US pool doesn't get exposed to international play for full seasons because they are not playing overseas, and the adjustment is much harder when you only play 8 games every two years. The first US college star player not to go overseas that I remember is Skylar Diggins and it was a 'story' when it happened. And her NT experience was underwhelming.

As far as projecting the next Olympics squad and penciling in college players .... a lot of basketball to be played and a lot of can't miss future stars of the NT have gotten derailed on the way to that future, including my personal favorite - Moriah Jefferson.

I also feel that the angst about the USA team is a bit overblown. For whatever reason, this team just didn't seem to gel - probably coaching, but also a group of guards that were up and down a lot. I don't think I can remember less passing and more dribbling, and more TOs for a US NT. Spurts of beautiful play, and spurts of what are they doing out there - quite a roller coaster.
UcMiami- - - I really think a lot of team USA's problems is the lack of preseason practice! Just getting together for about 2 weeks of practice while upcoming opponents have at least several months of time together doesn't bode well for team molding!
They tried to ease this by putting groups of players from the same WNBA teams on the 12 person roster but it didn't work as planned!

Reaction Score
Did you watch her play in the 3x3 at the Olympics? Even the announcer said she looked disinterested.

Reaction Score
Did you watch her play in the 3x3 at the Olympics? Even the announcer said she looked disinterested.
I watched probably half of their games. Again, I think Rhyne is a very introverted person whose resting facial expressions trigger our brains to think she is showing disinterest. As an introvert myself, I have gotten criticized for not reacting loud enough when opening Christmas and birthday gifts. The gift giver thinks they gave me a bad gift when in reality I was appreciative and excited -- I just didn't show it with loud gestures and exclamations. I say that to promote my belief that her interior world does not match her exterior expressions. For people that are not emotionally expressive, you cannot rely on what seems to be. You have to rely on looking at their body of work and dedication to the craft. You don't get to the top of your field of expertise without a love for the game and extra practice hours when no one is looking. Also, do you think a disinterested person would have played in 3x3 tournaments throughout the year or have accepted the offer to be on the USA 3x3 team?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UcMiami- - - I really think a lot of team USA's problems is the lack of preseason practice! Just getting together for about 2 weeks of practice while upcoming opponents have at least several months of time together doesn't bode well for team molding!
They tried to ease this by putting groups of players from the same WNBA teams on the 12 person roster but it didn't work as planned!
No question practice time has been an issue which is why they instituted the 'pool' concept and mini-training camps every few months. But it also points to another issue - playing internationally for young pros exposed them to multiple coaching situations and systems each year. They became 'fast learners' and adept at adjusting to a variety of very different teammates which helps when being thrown together onto the national team.

While I certainly think it helps playing with WNBA teammates, I think that is a double edged sword - if three of the players on the floor are playing together, what are the other two players doing? Are they trying to run Aces plays? Are they all trying to run Lynx plays? What are they actually doing?

I think DT and Sue were special because they were chameleons - they wanted to and were adept at adjusting their game play to the skills of whoever they were playing with and being coached by. You want the ball passed to your left hand four feet behind the line at 38 degrees off the baseline - got it; You want the entry pass high on your right hand as you cut into the restricted area - perfect. They made everything easy for the coaches and the administrators choosing the team. And by the time they owned the team (2008), they had played 3/5 years overseas on 'all star' teams under international rules. In the last few cycles they were also the only members of the team that remembered failure - the Bronze at the 2006 WC.

The current guards (and the ones who have come and gone over the last two cycles) appear to want to play 'their game' and not to adapt to whatever the national team wants/needs. It is the situation the men's national team has had to deal with over the years, and what they seem to have solved in recent years by selecting a few guards that aren't superstars, but are the ones who can adapt their games to support what the coaches/teams need.

Reaction Score
No question practice time has been an issue which is why they instituted the 'pool' concept and mini-training camps every few months. But it also points to another issue - playing internationally for young pros exposed them to multiple coaching situations and systems each year. They became 'fast learners' and adept at adjusting to a variety of very different teammates which helps when being thrown together onto the national team.

While I certainly think it helps playing with WNBA teammates, I think that is a double edged sword - if three of the players on the floor are playing together, what are the other two players doing? Are they trying to run Aces plays? Are they all trying to run Lynx plays? What are they actually doing?

I think DT and Sue were special because they were chameleons - they wanted to and were adept at adjusting their game play to the skills of whoever they were playing with and being coached by. You want the ball passed to your left hand four feet behind the line at 38 degrees off the baseline - got it; You want the entry pass high on your right hand as you cut into the restricted area - perfect. They made everything easy for the coaches and the administrators choosing the team. And by the time they owned the team (2008), they had played 3/5 years overseas on 'all star' teams under international rules. In the last few cycles they were also the only members of the team that remembered failure - the Bronze at the 2006 WC.

The current guards (and the ones who have come and gone over the last two cycles) appear to want to play 'their game' and not to adapt to whatever the national team wants/needs. It is the situation the men's national team has had to deal with over the years, and what they seem to have solved in recent years by selecting a few guards that aren't superstars, but are the ones who can adapt their games to support what the coaches/teams need.
Sue was always the coach on the floor, she studied the game of her teammates and opponents. By the time she got to camp she knew what to do with her teammates.
The next great point guard will be Paige, she understands the team game like Sue did.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Thoughtful and thorough: as per usual and always appreciated (by this long-time BY reader & participant).

I can't quite decide whether to chalk up that (very) close game to some combination of: heck of a time to lay an egg; worse possible match-up (for both teams), resulting in a defensive smasher; and/or a lot of the points you brought up. The talent on the U.S.A. team allowed it to keep on chooglin' but a number of your points did register (not as well) with me at some point. Using your post, let me add an "and" or "but..." to these points. Plus, add one or two at the end.

"... playing internationally for young pros exposed them to multiple coaching situations and systems each year."

- Agreed. And a number of WNBA players and members of the U.S.A. team (hello, Napheesa Collier) still do. However, a look at the 2024 All-Euro team shows three Americans (all of whom play in the W): Kayla McBride, Marina Mabrey and Elizabeth Williams. The latter was injured this year. McBride was in the pool years ago but fell out of it and Mabrey got an invite to a camp but never went much further.

Some national organizations are watching how WNBA players produce overseas (witness Spain recruiting Megan Gustafson). Is the U..S.A. organization doing the same with all of the American WNBA'ers in Europe, the Far East or Australia? Or do they care as much?

- Along those lines, one reason young Americans went overseas was to augment their incomes. Now, a lot of these younger players are adding to the bottom line in different ways (Marketing opportunities, working for colleges, etc.). So, will this part of overall development lessen in importance?

Multiple players from one team."I think that is a double edged sword - if three of the players on the floor are playing together, what are the other two players doing?"

- I can see this point. However, I think it depends on which players you're talking about. Is (at least) one of those players willing to subvert her usual W game to the needs of the international team, which leads to ...

"The current guards (and the ones who have come and gone over the last two cycles) appear to want to play 'their game' and not to adapt to whatever the national team wants/needs."

- All the post-selection public relations blather than came out cited that one of the criterion was working well within a unit. (Call this the "why we'll never have an Arike on the team" line).
And many of the players chosen were praised for their abilities to play multiple positions. This may have been the reasoning for not having a pure point guard to back up Chelsea Gray, who was coming off an injury (figuring Ionescu, Plum and Young could do that. Plus Stewie and A. Thomas bring the ball up into the half court set often.)
- Some of these players alter their games on any team they need. Jackie Young was largely handling the point for the Aces while Gray was out. And on the U.S.A. team, she was often used as the designated defensive guard. (And in the Dawn Staley years, Dawn noted how she used Jewell Loyd as her designated defender.)

Now, for some druthers of my own.

- Unless U.S.A. Basketball goes with a long-term coach who has input into players selection (such as Emma Hayes of the U.S.A. Women's Soccer Team), there has to be painstaking coordination between coaching philosophy, how players are scouted, invited into the pool and, ultimately, chosen for the team.

If Cheryl Reeve wants a defense-first, hard-nosed approach, was a Sabrian Ionescu really the right choice for a back-up guard?

- Is the current U.S.A. selection committee up to speed on where the game and players are? The game is and will rapidly change. The selection committee has to match that.

- While I favor a team-approach to offense and defense, I'm not against having a bit of variety in the players in the pool. While the men's team will bring in a glue-player or two (at most) to round out a team; the women seemed to go in the opposite direction.
Paige B., Caitlin Clark and Hannah Hidlago (the current U.S.A. Women's Basketball player of the year) all can play team ball. They can also go off on their own. Keep that in mind.

- Who knows if these subjects are even discussed in the bubble? I do know training camps and events for Berlin 2026 are going to be coming up sooner than anyone thinks. Time to think about current, near- and mid-term prospects and approaches. Now.

Reaction Score
Thoughtful and thorough: as per usual and always appreciated (by this long-time BY reader & participant).

I can't quite decide whether to chalk up that (very) close game to some combination of: heck of a time to lay an egg; worse possible match-up (for both teams), resulting in a defensive smasher; and/or a lot of the points you brought up. The talent on the U.S.A. team allowed it to keep on chooglin' but a number of your points did register (not as well) with me at some point. Using your post, let me add an "and" or "but..." to these points. Plus, add one or two at the end.

"... playing internationally for young pros exposed them to multiple coaching situations and systems each year."

- Agreed. And a number of WNBA players and members of the U.S.A. team (hello, Napheesa Collier) still do. However, a look at the 2024 All-Euro team shows three Americans (all of whom play in the W): Kayla McBride, Marina Mabrey and Elizabeth Williams. The latter was injured this year. McBride was in the pool years ago but fell out of it and Mabrey got an invite to a camp but never went much further.

Some national organizations are watching how WNBA players produce overseas (witness Spain recruiting Megan Gustafson). Is the U..S.A. organization doing the same with all of the American WNBA'ers in Europe, the Far East or Australia? Or do they care as much?

- Along those lines, one reason young Americans went overseas was to augment their incomes. Now, a lot of these younger players are adding to the bottom line in different ways (Marketing opportunities, working for colleges, etc.). So, will this part of overall development lessen in importance?

Multiple players from one team."I think that is a double edged sword - if three of the players on the floor are playing together, what are the other two players doing?"

- I can see this point. However, I think it depends on which players you're talking about. Is (at least) one of those players willing to subvert her usual W game to the needs of the international team, which leads to ...

"The current guards (and the ones who have come and gone over the last two cycles) appear to want to play 'their game' and not to adapt to whatever the national team wants/needs."

- All the post-selection public relations blather than came out cited that one of the criterion was working well within a unit. (Call this the "why we'll never have an Arike on the team" line).
And many of the players chosen were praised for their abilities to play multiple positions. This may have been the reasoning for not having a pure point guard to back up Chelsea Gray, who was coming off an injury (figuring Ionescu, Plum and Young could do that. Plus Stewie and A. Thomas bring the ball up into the half court set often.)
- Some of these players alter their games on any team they need. Jackie Young was largely handling the point for the Aces while Gray was out. And on the U.S.A. team, she was often used as the designated defensive guard. (And in the Dawn Staley years, Dawn noted how she used Jewell Loyd as her designated defender.)

Now, for some druthers of my own.

- Unless U.S.A. Basketball goes with a long-term coach who has input into players selection (such as Emma Hayes of the U.S.A. Women's Soccer Team), there has to be painstaking coordination between coaching philosophy, how players are scouted, invited into the pool and, ultimately, chosen for the team.

If Cheryl Reeve wants a defense-first, hard-nosed approach, was a Sabrian Ionescu really the right choice for a back-up guard?

- Is the current U.S.A. selection committee up to speed on where the game and players are? The game is and will rapidly change. The selection committee has to match that.

- While I favor a team-approach to offense and defense, I'm not against having a bit of variety in the players in the pool. While the men's team will bring in a glue-player or two (at most) to round out a team; the women seemed to go in the opposite direction.
Paige B., Caitlin Clark and Hannah Hidlago (the current U.S.A. Women's Basketball player of the year) all can play team ball. They can also go off on their own. Keep that in mind.

- Who knows if these subjects are even discussed in the bubble? I do know training camps and events for Berlin 2026 are going to be coming up sooner than anyone thinks. Time to think about current, near- and mid-term prospects and approaches. Now.
Not in favor of having the head coach be an WNBA coach. Too set in playing a certain way and unable to adjust in game conditions. College Coaches like Geno, and Dawn see all kinds of offenses, and defenses during the year and have to adjust on the fly.
Head coaches in the WNBA don't see these things, and will be slower to adjust.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dillon -
I don't know how USA Basketball is 'scouting' players now, but I remember Carol Callan saying that yes they paid careful attention to foreign play by USA women. I would hope they still do.

I agree that is wonderful that US women have many more options for making money during the WNBA off season that don't include full seasons abroad. It should lead to fewer injuries and better life experiences, but it also changes their development curves, especially for the NT and international rules/play.

Again, I agree that it is hard to separate players from system, coaching, opponents, and single game performances. I do think something was 'off' within the USA squad, and didn't think France was significantly different from other Semi/Final opponents we have seen in other world cups. The international competition has been fierce for all of this century though perhaps the depth has deepened.

On coaching, while I don't follow the W as much as WCBB, I thought Cheryl was a good choice - I am not sure any more. She had a lot of experience on the bench for the NT and was the logical choice, but ...

Reaction Score
Dillon -
I don't know how USA Basketball is 'scouting' players now, but I remember Carol Callan saying that yes they paid careful attention to foreign play by USA women. I would hope they still do.

I agree that is wonderful that US women have many more options for making money during the WNBA off season that don't include full seasons abroad. It should lead to fewer injuries and better life experiences, but it also changes their development curves, especially for the NT and international rules/play.

Again, I agree that it is hard to separate players from system, coaching, opponents, and single game performances. I do think something was 'off' within the USA squad, and didn't think France was significantly different from other Semi/Final opponents we have seen in other world cups. The international competition has been fierce for all of this century though perhaps the depth has deepened.

On coaching, while I don't follow the W as much as WCBB, I thought Cheryl was a good choice - I am not sure any more. She had a lot of experience on the bench for the NT and was the logical choice, but ...
As I said before WNBA coaches are too insulated in the way the game is played.
They don't get a chance to see junk defenses and offenses like college coaches do. Go back and get a good college coach to lead the team. The Assistants can be from the WNBA and college.

Reaction Score
Dillon -

She also led the US squad to the World Championship the year prior with most of this same roster. Don't recall much in the form of complaints about how she managed the team then.

Both Reeve and Kerr for the men's team are under scrutiny. Both teams had to battle to win gold when the expectation is that these games should be forgone conclusions. It is what it is.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As I said before WNBA coaches are too insulated in the way the game is played.
They don't get a chance to see junk defenses and offenses like college coaches do. Go back and get a good college coach to lead the team. The Assistants can be from the WNBA and college.
I don't think that college coaches in general are better able to adapt than pros. Geno and Dawn are special cases in that they had long USA experience and had actually coached a number of the stars in college and had a lot of experience coaching against most of the rest of the roster. Neither is likely coming back to coach again, and the other contenders in the college ranks are who?

Kim - the obvious one with similar experience and success in coaching and she isn't interest. (Not sure why or if there is some actual history there.)

Jeff - really like him, but he hasn't reached the pinnacle and I believe his only NT player is Angel.

Tara and Muffet are gone from the game. There are other good college coaches, but few with NT experience on the bench and few with any USA basketball experience.

Just don't see an obvious successor in the wings with a can't miss resume.

The advantage with the WNBA coaches is that they are in the thick of coaching the NT players and/or studying their film to defend against them.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I don't think that college coaches in general are better able to adapt than pros. Geno and Dawn are special cases in that they had long USA experience and had actually coached a number of the stars in college and had a lot of experience coaching against most of the rest of the roster. Neither is likely coming back to coach again, and the other contenders in the college ranks are who?

Kim - the obvious one with similar experience and success in coaching and she isn't interest. (Not sure why or if there is some actual history there.)

Jeff - really like him, but he hasn't reached the pinnacle and I believe his only NT player is Angel.

Tara and Muffet are gone from the game. There are other good college coaches, but few with NT experience on the bench and few with any USA basketball experience.

The advantage with the WNBA coaches is that they are in the thick of coaching the NT players and/or studying their film to defend against them.
I would be thrilled to have Reeve back in 28. She made great adjustments as the tournament went on, often going deeper into the bench (Young, KP) deeper in the tournament when the matchups called for it. I was hella impressed with her coaching and can see now why the Lynx have been perennial threats.

She also has a great, calm, confident sideline demeanor. My WBB fanship arises out of Stanford and Tara, so maybe I'm just biased here, but I tend to prefer the drama to come from the clutch plays on the court and not the pearl clutching on the sidelines...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don't know..... Staley loves the limelight. I see her trying to run it back in LA in '28. She sure put a lot of face time in all over Paris this time around

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I would be thrilled to have Reeve back in 28. She made great adjustments as the tournament went on, often going deeper into the bench (Young, KP) deeper in the tournament when the matchups called for it. I was hella impressed with her coaching and can see now why the Lynx have been perennial threats.

She also has a great, calm, confident sideline demeanor. My WBB fanship arises out of Stanford and Tara, so maybe I'm just biased here, but I tend to prefer the drama to come from the clutch plays on the court and not the pearl clutching on the sidelines...
@UcMiami

By and large, I thought Coach Reeve did a solid job with this team; in particular with the adjustments of Young, Copper, etc.
My only ???/gripe was why she didn't give Griner a stint in the second half. Her short run in the first half was relatively effective and I thought her appearance could've thrown a different look at the French.

Outside of that, my major quibble with this team still probably had to do with the construction, which we've covered and, to some degree, Coach Reeve was dealing with, as well.

We'll know soon enough because Berlin 2026 and preparations for it are really not far away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom