28 Olympic team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

28 Olympic team

WBBTakeover

Manifesting EDD to the Aces in 2025
Reaction Score
I feel like people are in denial that the world is catching up to us. France exclusively practiced for 2 months prior to the games and they played before a home crowd. We couldn't make layups in the 1st half and that included our MVP.
I think everyone needs to start taking the world more seriously going forward.
Wouldn't the bolded factor more into France's success than them simply catching up to us? Let's say that we were the ones in that position (playing in front of a home crowd and had 2+ months to practice with the 12 we selected). Would France (or any team, for that matter) have come within 20 points of us under those conditions? I would be the farm that that would not be the case.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Sorry, I missed this thread when it came up, probably because I was enmeshed in watching hoops, soccer, team handball, athletics, etc.
In any case, some thoughts on 2028.

Coach
  • If Coach Reeve wants to run it back, I think USA Basketball will be happy to have her. Pressure doesn't seem to get to her, as well as making big personnel decisions.
  • If she doesn't come back, I think USA Basketball likes to select from those within the family, so -- like it or not -- those on the current staff might get first consideration. I would have no issue with jumping to Kurt Miller, who was an advisor this time around (but did several during-game interviews on Reeves' behalf) because I like having a W coach run the show. Can't discount Kara Lawson, who has paid dues -- while she hasn't won in college, she did coach the 3x3 Gold Medal Team in Tokyo.
  • Is Becky Hammons still pissed she had to play for Russia because she couldn't get an invite? If so, bag that. If that's water under the bridge, she'd be a kick-butt, take no-prisoners coach and you'd see A'ja Wilson, Jackie Young and Kelsey Plum on the team (you probably will anyways).

Returners from This Year's Team
Definite: A'ja Wilson, Breanna Stewart, Jackie Young, Napheesa Collier
Possible: Sabrina Ionescu, Kelsey Plum, Brittany Griner (she's still 6'9")

From WNBA
Will Get Looks: Aliyah Boston, Cameron Brink, Caitlin Clark, Rhyne Howard, Angel Reese

Coming from College
High Profile: Paige Bueckers, Juju Watkins
If They Get Invite to Camps, Don't Be Surprised (if not '28, then '32): Madison Booker, Sonia Citron (excels in International play), Milaysia Fulwiley, Ayoka Lee (that height thing...see Griner), Oliva Miles, Cotie McMahon.

I'll be paying attention to the coaching announcement and who gets invited to the training camps....

Reaction Score
Wouldn't the bolded factor more into France's success than them simply catching up to us? Let's say that we were the ones in that position (playing in front of a home crowd and had 2+ months to practice with the 12 we selected). Would France (or any team, for that matter) have come within 20 points of us under those conditions? I would be the farm that that would not be the case.
Most of the world usually practices together for extended periods of time prior to the Olympics, so that is a constant over the years.

Reaction Score
Yep, you watched a different game. They don't win today without her. They were down 10 in Q3 and it was not looking good. She comes in, hits 2 3's and a nice pass to Wilson for probably her only uncontested shot of the game. Just like that they're back in it. Probably the most critical juncture of the game. Her clutch FTs late were big as well. In a game where offense was hard to come by, she tied Copper for second most points, and every single one of them was needed. Like I said, they don't win without her. If you don't see that...I really don't know what you were watching. Also tied for a team high 4 assists. And on a day where everybody was turning the ball over, her 2 TO's weren't egregious. Didn't see her being bad on D either. Lacan scored a couple times on her, but she definitely was not getting lit up. She was pesky. She was the only U.S. player who was pressuring the ball the full length of the floor.

The guard corp was inconsistent in Paris. Young was easily the best, but today wasn't her today. Copper, Ionescu and Plum all had some good games along the way. The others...well I won't say anything.
Could we just have different opinions or different views on what happened rather than dismissing an opinion with "you watched a different game"?
She did hit two threes but she also got blown by for an and one in that series, ended some offensive possession with bad drives and turnovers, and was a cone on defense in general. Offense might not have been so hard to come by had she not been on the floor so much. We'll have to agree to disagree it seems but I appreciate you sharing what you thought Plum added. I do agree she did have a few good possessions, I just thought the rest of the game far outweighed the value of them.
This is a very unexpected take. Clearly watched a different game than me bc Plum only had one foul the whole game according to the box score lol
And it was a very awful and-one on a player that blew right by her. Not sure why that means I watched a different game.
I, for one, saw us go down by 10 points and then saw her lead the 8-0 charge (including two 3-pointers for a team that notoriously could not hit threes) that brought us back. She also helped seal the game with clutch free throws. Plum had an up-and-down tournament (she was terrible against Australia), but yesterday's Olympic Finals was one of her finest career moments.

I don't, and they were rightfully benched (or, in Sabrina's case, given reduced minutes). Sabrina couldn't guard anyone in that tournament whereas KP kinda could (depending on the match-up). DT sucked all tournament long despite being pegged as a starter for half of the games. Jewell was just--there.

You aren't wrong with this general assessment, which is why she's never going to be anyone's superstar. Most people here (with the exception of one person--and I'm sure everyone knows who I'm referring to) know this to be the truth with regard to Plum. It wasn't the reality yesterday--which is why we won that game. I'm not a KP fan (strictly because of her game--she seems to be a good enough person, so I'll pull for her more often than not), but I have to give credit where credit is due. She, 4th quarter Kah, and MVP A'ja were the main offensive reasons why we held on for gold (and none of those players were offensive wizards throughout the entire game).

That said, I don't think she is a lock to return. She should, however, be under heavy consideration for 2028 (with it being close to her hometown, she's going to go for it). If Team USA isn't going to recruit more players who are reliable 3-point shooters, then we really can't afford not to bring back a player who can at least hit them.
One 8-0 run, with three's the were set up by other players is not enough to balance out how terribly she played imo the rest of the game. And really, it was an 8-3 run given she immediately got blown by then committed the worst foul of the whole game for an and one. The US wouldn't have been tied in the half if Sabrina had played in that first half over her imo. There was actually some offensive flow with Sabrina in the game and some chemistry. One turnover and she never got back in. Reeves reluctance to experiment in the backcourt despite how badly the guards were playing, despite experimenting with the backcourt all tournament, cost them a larger win imo. That's on Reeves, not Plum but Plums continual playing time at PG, despite killing any sort of offensive flow with over dribbling bad shot selection and chaos really made the team un-fun to watch.

Anyways, now I feel bad because I really don't dislike Plum as a person or a player in general and she has had a particularly hard year. My real issue is with Cheryl Reeves and uneasy feeling she will again be the Olympic coach but with an declining A'Ja and Stewie instead of a Prime Stew'Ja and that doesn't spell anything but an inevitable L.

Reaction Score
Most of the world usually practices together for extended periods of time prior to the Olympics, so that is a constant over the years.
Define extended periods of time. Canada Basketball's format of training doesn't provide much opportunity for the team to play as a unit. Australia didn't have their complete roster together to train until just before the Olympics as well.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
But there are still more variables to consider (substandard coaching decisions, poor personnel choices by selection committee, a nasty bug that has been going around Team USA, etc.) that played more of a role in the outcome than the suggestion that the rest of the world has caught up to the US. At the end of the day, we went 6-0. Every other team in the field had at least two losses or lost prior to the semifinals. This French team lost in the group stage to Australia--the same Australian team that Team USA demolished in the previous round. They very easily could have lost to Belgium in the semis--a Belgian team that has one actual WNBA-level talent (Vanloo, in my opinion, is not a good WNBA player).

France is a very good team that is well coached. But they are not particularly talented (Gabby is their best player, and she's barely a WNBA starter while every member of Team USA is/has been at All-WNBA level) and would not come close to beating the winning team (despite its shortcomings) had the conditions been more favorable to Team USA.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
One 8-0 run, with three's the were set up by other players is not enough to balance out how terribly she played imo the rest of the game. And really, it was an 8-3 run given she immediately got blown by then committed the worst foul of the whole game for an and one. The US wouldn't have been tied in the half if Sabrina had played in that first half over her imo. There was actually some offensive flow with Sabrina in the game and some chemistry. One turnover and she never got back in. Reeves reluctance to experiment in the backcourt despite how badly the guards were playing, despite experimenting with the backcourt all tournament, cost them a larger win imo. That's on Reeves, not Plum but Plums continual playing time at PG, despite killing any sort of offensive flow with over dribbling bad shot selection and chaos really made the team un-fun to watch.
But Sabrina's defense is even worse than Plum's because of her slow feet! Whatever benefits she brings offensively during this tournament (and she didn't bring three-point shooting in this game) have been nullified by her lack of defense. She also got blown by during her stint on the court (and committed an untimely foul that led to FTs for France). Also, she does not possess an air-tight handle, so she is just as prone to turnovers against an aggressive French defense as the other guards.

I do not advocate for Plum to be a PG--full-time or part-time. All I'm saying here is that she was one of the reasons why Team USA was able to pull off the victory yesterday while Sabrina played a much smaller role (she made a play here and there but was overall not much of a factor from a positive standpoint). And given Sabrina's shortcomings, I don't think she would've made enough of a difference offensively to overcome what she lacks defensively. It was a bad match-up for her.

Anyways, now I feel bad because I really don't dislike Plum as a person or a player in general and she has had a particularly hard year. My real issue is with Cheryl Reeves and uneasy feeling she will again be the Olympic coach but with an declining A'Ja and Stewie instead of a Prime Stew'Ja and that doesn't spell anything but an inevitable L.
What makes you think that A'ja, who's still on the upswing in her transcendent career, will somehow be on the decline at just 32???? Because Stewie may be (and who said that she would be on the decline, either? Maybe a new WNBA team would do her wonders)? They're not the same player. And it's unlikely that Cheryl Reeve will be the coach in 2028 given that most Team USA coaches get one cycle.

Also, I'm confident that there will be plenty of offensive support to complement A'ja and Stewie in 2028 because the next coach will likely bring along an assistant who can coach offense (did you look at the staff Reeve put together? None of those coaches are offensive gurus).

Reaction Score
But there are still more variables to consider (substandard coaching decisions, poor personnel choices by selection committee, a nasty bug that has been going around Team USA, etc.) that played more of a role in the outcome than the suggestion that the rest of the world has caught up to the US. At the end of the day, we went 6-0. Every other team in the field had at least two losses or lost prior to the semifinals. This French team lost in the group stage to Australia--the same Australian team that Team USA demolished in the previous round. They very easily could have lost to Belgium in the semis--a Belgian team that has one actual WNBA-level talent (Vanloo, in my opinion, is not a good WNBA player).

France is a very good team that is well coached. But they are not particularly talented (Gabby is their best player, and she's barely a WNBA starter while every member of Team USA is/has been at All-WNBA level) and would not come close to beating the winning team (despite its shortcomings) had the conditions been more favorable to Team USA.

I disagree entirely. There will always be external factors (players who party every night, bad attitudes, illnesses, etc). The issue now is that it isn't as easy for us to run the table against the top 3-4 teams. If you can't see that the rest for the world is closing the gap, I certainly am not going to try and change your mind.

Reaction Score
What makes you think that A'ja, who's still on the upswing in her transcendent career, will somehow be on the decline at just 32???? Because Stewie may be (and who said that she would be on the decline, either? Maybe a new WNBA team would do her wonders)? They're not the same player. And it's unlikely that Cheryl Reeve will be the coach in 2028 given that most Team USA coaches get one cycle.

Also, I'm confident that there will be plenty of offensive support to complement A'ja and Stewie in 2028 because the next coach will likely bring along an assistant who can coach offense (did you look at the staff Reeve put together? None of those coaches are offensive gurus).
Most players peak around 27/28. Doesn't mean A'ja or Stewie won't be great in 2028 but I don't think either will be better or at the level they are playing now. Will still likely be the best players on the team but won't be able to single handedly carry the team to victory they way they did this time. Would love to be wrong just think we need to be realistic.

My concern is that "the next coach" will be Cheryl Reeves again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And it was a very awful and-one on a player that blew right by her. Not sure why that means I watched a different game.
Every time i thought she was out of the game for good she pop back on my screen after a time out ready to foul someone for an and-1.

Your post suggested it happened multiple times, so hence why it seemed you were watching a different game

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Most players peak around 27/28.
No, they don't. That's when they reach their PRIME. Not the same.

Doesn't mean A'ja or Stewie won't be great in 2032 but I don't think either will be better or at the level they are playing now.
We're talking about 2028, though?

Will still likely be the best players on the team but won't be able to single handedly carry the team to victory they way they did this time.
They didn't really do that this time beyond a handful of games. When Jackie Young was inserted into the starting line-up, she helped lessen the load on them (with the exception of the Gold Medal game--Stewie also struggled in that one). Kah and KP stepped up to help A'ja when Stewie couldn't/didn't.

Would love to be wrong just think we need to be realistic.
Go back through the previous seven Olympic gold medal-winning rosters during this streak and identify the time that we didn't have either the best player in the world or at least second best. We can be realistic without giving into unfounded concerns.

The best player in the world will be playing for Team USA in 2028. Whether that's A'ja or someone younger remains to be seen.

My concern is that "the next coach" will be Cheryl Reeves again.
That's not based on anything other than unfounded fear, though.

Reaction Score
Every time i thought she was out of the game for good she pop back on my screen after a time out ready to foul someone for an and-1.

Your post suggested it happened multiple times, so hence why it seemed you were watching a different game
Oh, it was simply a joke.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think what has happened with team USA is that for whatever reason, the young 'developmental' guards/wings that they have brought in over the last two cycles haven't really clicked and developed into the 'next' NT stalwarts.

Jewel Loyd - been on the team since 2018 WC so 4 gold medals without ever being more than an after thought in the actual games - some nice moments, but ...

Layshia Clarendon - 2018 WC and gone

Kelsey Plum - 2018 WC, 2022 WC, 2024 Oly - 2024 I believe has been her best, but still not compelling.

Atkins - 2020 Oly, 2022 WC and gone

Diggins Smith - 2020 Oly and gone

Gray - 2020 Oly, 2022 WC, 2024 Oly - has until now looked settled, but her injury reduced her contribution this year - the oldest of this group and will be 36 in 2028.

Ionescu 2022 WC, 2024 Oly - one completed cycle and looked decent at times.

Laney - 2022 WC and gone.

From 2018 they have been looking for who is next in the back court. It was clear Sue and DT were on the down slope of stellar careers, but no one has yet said, 'This is my team!' from their auditions. In the front court A'ja and Breanna clearly have.

I do think Plum and Sabrina and Copper and Young looked like they could continue - the first two as PGs and the last two as SGs but they aren't 'secure'. I think they all need to be better at integrating into an all-star lineup and playing to whatever script their coach creates. And they need a strong coach. And they need more experience playing international teams under international rules.

I wouldn't mind if USA basketball hired either or both Diana and Sue to specifically coach the new guards. And they ought to find a squad of international players and refs to run scrimmages against because chances are they will not be playing for international teams on their own.

Reaction Score
I think what has happened with team USA is that for whatever reason, the young 'developmental' guards/wings that they have brought in over the last two cycles haven't really clicked and developed into the 'next' NT stalwarts.

Jewel Loyd - been on the team since 2018 WC so 4 gold medals without ever being more than an after thought in the actual games - some nice moments, but ...

Layshia Clarendon - 2018 WC and gone

Kelsey Plum - 2018 WC, 2022 WC, 2024 Oly - 2024 I believe has been her best, but still not compelling.

Atkins - 2020 Oly, 2022 WC and gone

Diggins Smith - 2020 Oly and gone

Gray - 2020 Oly, 2022 WC, 2024 Oly - has until now looked settled, but her injury reduced her contribution this year - the oldest of this group and will be 36 in 2028.

Ionescu 2022 WC, 2024 Oly - one completed cycle and looked decent at times.

Laney - 2022 WC and gone.

From 2018 they have been looking for who is next in the back court. It was clear Sue and DT were on the down slope of stellar careers, but no one has yet said, 'This is my team!' from their auditions. In the front court A'ja and Breanna clearly have.

I do think Plum and Sabrina and Copper and Young looked like they could continue - the first two as PGs and the last two as SGs but they aren't 'secure'. I think they all need to be better at integrating into an all-star lineup and playing to whatever script their coach creates. And they need a strong coach. And they need more experience playing international teams under international rules.

I wouldn't mind if USA basketball hired either or both Diana and Sue to specifically coach the new guards. And they ought to find a squad of international players and refs to run scrimmages against because chances are they will not be playing for international teams on their own.
I think this a really astute analysis.

Reaction Score
Here's my picks:

Coach: Becky Hammon

Paige Bueckers
Caitlin Clark
JuJu Watkins
Angel Reese
Cameron Brink
Aliyah Boston

A'ja Wilson
Breanna Stewart
Napheesa Collier
Sabrina Ionescu - ?
Jackie Young - ?

Gabby Williams (WNBA & USA wise up and bring our star home!)

Reaction Score
Here's my picks:

Coach: Becky Hammon

Paige Bueckers
Caitlin Clark
JuJu Watkins
Angel Reese
Cameron Brink
Aliyah Boston

A'ja Wilson
Breanna Stewart
Napheesa Collier
Sabrina Ionescu - ?
Jackie Young - ?

Gabby Williams (WNBA & USA wise up and bring our star home!)
Re Gabby Williams:

1). The WNBA issue is a combination of priotization rule and the challenge of being able to earn a good salary for play. Hopefully the next CBA will help address that.

2). It's not going to happen at this point regarding USA Basketball adding her to the pool for consideration. It's a similar situation to Nneka Ogumike's when she tried to switch to the Nigerian team after not being selected for the 2021 Olympics squad. I get and respect the sentiment, but too much time has passed now.

Reaction Score
Re Gabby Williams:

1). The WNBA issue is a combination of priotization rule and the challenge of being able to earn a good salary for play. Hopefully the next CBA will help address that.

2). It's not going to happen at this point regarding USA Basketball adding her to the pool for consideration. It's a similar situation to Nneka Ogumike's when she tried to switch to the Nigerian team after not being selected for the 2021 Olympics squad. I get and respect the sentiment, but too much time has passed now.

Yes, of course, and thanks for your explanation. However, I am very much aware of all that. It is definitely wishful thinking regarding Gabby.

A lot can be accomplished in four (4) years if people put their hearts and minds to it. Now is the time for the WNBA policy makers to make smarter decisions. Thanks primarily to Caitlin Clark's influence on Women's basketball at all levels, we need to make moves that insure pro female athletes can play this sport in this country as well as other countries in order to support their families. That will undoubtedly mean the powers at be will need to sharpen their pencils and come up with a viable solution. Penalizing players/teams is not the answer! Perhaps moving the season to a different time of the year is?

Reaction Score
And, the FIBA's ruling regarding Nneka Ogwumike was unfair and unjust. She wasn't selected for Team USA for the Toyko Olmypics, so why shouldn't she be allowed to play for another country where she meets eligibility standards. What were they afraid of, that Nigeria would beat us?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And, the FIBA's ruling regarding Nneka Ogwumike was unfair and unjust. She wasn't selected for Team USA for the Toyko Olmypics, so why shouldn't she be allowed to play for another country where she meets eligibility standards. What were they afraid of, that Nigeria would beat us?

Nneka had been in the NT pool of players for 4 years I believe, and had played for the NT in the 2018 WC, winning a gold medal. Any national team play in regional or world tournaments is pretty much final, even play at age designated world events causes questions.

Gabby has never been selected to play for any USA team at any level - She has now earned two medals playing for France and I doubt she would ever be permitted to play for another country in a FIBA sanctioned event.

FIBA isn't afraid of anything - they just have rules that they seldom waiver from.

Reaction Score
Yes, of course, and thanks for your explanation. However, I am very much aware of all that. It is definitely wishful thinking regarding Gabby.

A lot can be accomplished in four (4) years if people put their hearts and minds to it. Now is the time for the WNBA policy makers to make smarter decisions. Thanks primarily to Caitlin Clark's influence on Women's basketball at all levels, we need to make moves that insure pro female athletes can play this sport in this country as well as other countries in order to support their families. That will undoubtedly mean the powers at be will need to sharpen their pencils and come up with a viable solution. Penalizing players/teams is not the answer! Perhaps moving the season to a different time of the year is?
Yes, a lot can be accomplished in 4 years, but Gabby will be 31 by then. For all we know, she may be done with basketball at that point.

And the pool of players available to USA Basketball for power forwards will be just as challenging to choose from as it was this year. Heck, there are names not even being brought up like Serah Williams out of Wisconsin who has been very good and played with the USA U23 3x3 squad. Hannah Stuelke, Chloe Kitts, Kiki Iriafen are others who may be available.

It doesn't make sense for Gabby to play for the US, except from a romantic/wistful perspective if you ask me.

Reaction Score
Mulkey has declined in the past
Walz has had some run with USA
Brooks ... not sure
Dawn seemed pretty sure she wouldn't coach again, but she bleeds for the team so maybe if they begged she would say yes.
Kara...? She doesn't have the deep coaching experience but she has deep USA roots.
I know it’s different, but wasn’t Kara the one that coached the first 3x3 team to a gold medal?

Reaction Score
Not bad but so many questions! Like off the top of my head, Can Aliyah Boston & Cameron Brink handle the physicality of European ball players? Heck could Angel handle it? Then you throw in who is coaching the team. Will that coach take over and try to control how the team plays I know that this is rough estimate of potential players but hopefully the committee think long and hard and start doing what the men did back in 2005-06 range when they sat down and revamped their whole program and mindset of how they wanted to build their national team.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I disagree entirely. There will always be external factors (players who party every night, bad attitudes, illnesses, etc). The issue now is that it isn't as easy for us to run the table against the top 3-4 teams. If you can't see that the rest for the world is closing the gap, I certainly am not going to try and change your mind.
Feel free to disagree, but I do not see what you're seeing. Sorry. The world can't be "closing the gap" when this team defeated its previous five opponents by double digits and ended up playing the host team in a hotly-contested gold medal game.

What happens if Team USA (the host team) wins the 2028 gold medal game by double digits? Will you say that the rest of the world took a step back?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingDawg

Top Bottom