28 Olympic team | Page 4 | The Boneyard

28 Olympic team

Reaction Score
Not bad but so many questions! Like off the top of my head, Can Aliyah Boston & Cameron Brink handle the physicality of European ball players? Heck could Angel handle it? Then you throw in who is coaching the team. Will that coach take over and try to control how the team plays I know that this is rough estimate of potential players but hopefully the committee think long and hard and start doing what the men did back in 2005-06 range when they sat down and revamped their whole program and mindset of how they wanted to build their national team.
Don't think physicality should be a concern for those three. Brink and Boston have played international competitions while in highschool. Boston played several FIBA tournaments in 2021 during the previous Olympics cycle and held her own. Reese had her first taste of FIBA during the Americas tournament last year and she had good and bad moments, depending on who you talk to

The physicality aspect is being overblown from my perspective, especially when LA2028 is 4 years away.

Reaction Score
Not bad but so many questions! Like off the top of my head, Can Aliyah Boston & Cameron Brink handle the physicality of European ball players? Heck could Angel handle it? Then you throw in who is coaching the team. Will that coach take over and try to control how the team plays I know that this is rough estimate of potential players but hopefully the committee think long and hard and start doing what the men did back in 2005-06 range when they sat down and revamped their whole program and mindset of how they wanted to build their national team.
Of the people you singled out, Boston and Brink, have proven more than any other rookie on that list that they can handle the physicality.

Reaction Score
Of the people you singled out, Boston and Brink, have proven more than any other rookie on that list that they can handle the physicality.
Are you talking about Cameron Brink? The girl that fouls out after 5 minutes because retaliates after every uncalled foul? That’s the girl you think can handle physicality?

Reaction Score
Yes, a lot can be accomplished in 4 years, but Gabby will be 31 by then. For all we know, she may be done with basketball at that point.

And the pool of players available to USA Basketball for power forwards will be just as challenging to choose from as it was this year. Heck, there are names not even being brought up like Serah Williams out of Wisconsin who has been very good and played with the USA U23 3x3 squad. Hannah Stuelke, Chloe Kitts, Kiki Iriafen are others who may be available.

It doesn't make sense for Gabby to play for the US, except from a romantic/wistful perspective if you ask me.
I wasn't asking you and did you not read where I said having Gabby on the team in 2028 was wishful thinking on my part? And, there were many on our US Team this year older than 31.

Reaction Score
Nneka had been in the NT pool of players for 4 years I believe, and had played for the NT in the 2018 WC, winning a gold medal. Any national team play in regional or world tournaments is pretty much final, even play at age designated world events causes questions.

Gabby has never been selected to play for any USA team at any level - She has now earned two medals playing for France and I doubt she would ever be permitted to play for another country in a FIBA sanctioned event.

FIBA isn't afraid of anything - they just have rules that they seldom waiver from.
Having rules against something, doesn't actually answer the question about the FIBA. I'm quite well aware of the history regarding both players, perhaps even better than you've stated them. But ending a player's eligibility when they have outlived their usefulness to our team seems a bit archaic when their value to another country is concerned for the Olympics. Some of you on this site should stop judging a person's BBIQ based on the number of messages, reaction score, and date joined. They have absolutely nothing to do with one another!

Reaction Score
Yes, the girl who fouls out because she is more physical than her counterpart.
Not in my opinion. She fouls out because she gets frustrated by physicality. A common critique from announcers and coaches of hers.

Reaction Score
I wasn't asking you and did you not read where I said having Gabby on the team in 2028 was wishful thinking on my part? And, there were many on our US Team this year older than 31.
I think only Jewel and DT were over 31. Not sure 2/10 is fair to call “many”.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Could we just have different opinions or different views on what happened rather than dismissing an opinion with "you watched a different game"?
The difference in our perceptions of what transpired in this game are so vast that there is no point in continuing a back and forth, so I'll bow out.

Reaction Score
Don't think physicality should be a concern for those three. Brink and Boston have played international competitions while in highschool. Boston played several FIBA tournaments in 2021 during the previous Olympics cycle and held her own. Reese had her first taste of FIBA during the Americas tournament last year and she had good and bad moments, depending on who you talk to

The physicality aspect is being overblown from my perspective, especially when LA2028 is 4 years away.
There’s a difference between physicality of players your age and physicality of players 5-10 years older. Not to mention that the refs allow more stuff in the W, and international refs seem to allow even more. It’s an adjustment.,

Reaction Score
There’s a difference between physicality of players your age and physicality of players 5-10 years older. Not to mention that the refs allow more stuff in the W, and international refs seem to allow even more. It’s an adjustment.,
That's true and yes FIBA physicality is different but I don't see it as significant as others do on the board. With their time in the WNBA between now and then, they will be fine.

Reaction Score
I'm replying to your response to my previous post. Am I not allowed to provide an opinion and expand on your point?

Reaction Score
I wonder if DT would sign on as an Assistant Coach given her international experience. Just a thought.
Sue Bird jokingly made a statement that most athletes go in two directions when their playing career is over: becoming a coach or joining the media. She then asked DT which of those two she would choose and DT responded with a "hell no" to coaching. It makes me think that she would decline any offers, but to be fair, the conversation was in the context of college coaching, so a temporary job as an assistant coach to team USA could be more appealing to her.

Reaction Score
Most players peak around 27/28. Doesn't mean A'ja or Stewie won't be great in 2028 but I don't think either will be better or at the level they are playing now. Will still likely be the best players on the team but won't be able to single handedly carry the team to victory they way they did this time. Would love to be wrong just think we need to be realistic.

My concern is that "the next coach" will be Cheryl Reeves again.
I highly doubt that Coach Reeve will run it back. There is a lot of pressure. Then throw in you are away from your family, unless they come with you. But I don't think Coach is going to do this again. I would be shocked if she ran it back.

Reaction Score
If Brink is our starting Post or even one of them in 2028 were not winning gold. Did you guys not see Linkskins for Belguim ? The physicality each team displayed on Wilson and Stewie ? Brink is not there yet heck she was just finding her legs in the W before the injury and that wasn't as special as projected with the #2 pick ....

WBBTakeover

Manifesting EDD to the Aces in 2025
Reaction Score
Come again?

Also before making a comment that makes no sense whatsoever, perhaps you should go back to the reason I posted these ages in the first place?
Born in August 1994 = 30 years old in August 2024.

The point is that there were more 30-year-olds on this year's team than previously purported. Sorry you didn't get that from my post.

Reaction Score
Interesting but I don't see DT coaching. Some of the GREAT ones just see the game with a different lens and just built differently. DT is in that window.
Definitely not a college coach.
Not as clear about pro though I’d lean against.

She is a very engaging personality so TV commentator is possible. But she seems more like a good story teller and quipster than someone interested in dissecting a game.
Would be interesting to see her on an inside-the-nba type show.

Reaction Score

I don't think the physicality aspect is overblown. When we face teams that play physical, we tend to play timid or wild. It just depends. Boston and Brink will be either wild or timid depending on the team we face.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom