21-22 Conference Schedule is Out | Page 4 | The Boneyard

21-22 Conference Schedule is Out

Reaction Score
Looks like we have a candidate for foot-in-mouth post of the year!
Explain that to me - they have played all their home games at DD for decades.
The level of intelligence on this board has reached a new low.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So in the 6 months following last season, Gampel, XL and Big East are unable to figure out which building will be open for which home game. Does our 4X NC team schedule revolve around the Hartford Wolfpack? If they don’t have their schedule yet, we should be dictating the remaining open dates to them.
Quite frankly, this is embarrassingly inept management. Sorry Dave but you got to get your suits to take charge and problem solve.
Benedict may not have 100% control of who/where the teams play. ESPN, or whatever outlet has rights to the game, has a lot of input to days and times of the games. I know for the women’s team, ESPN tells UConn “You’re playing Tennessee/Notre Dame/whoever at 8:00 on Martin Luther King Day”. Their choices have to be matched to the venues’ schedules and opponents’ schedules. There’s also NCAA rules about scheduling and travel that have to be considered. The leftover games - UConn vs DePaul, for example - can be stuck into whatever date is open.

Not as easy as picking a date and making it happen.

Reaction Score
Is that why you keep coming back? You know, in order to maintain the lack of intelligence.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Looking at the PC 2021-22 schedule. all home games are listed with times and location - the DD Center
Correct you are
Looks like they worked things out already with the AHL

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Benedict may not have 100% control of who/where the teams play. ESPN, or whatever outlet has rights to the game, has a lot of input to days and times of the games. I know for the women’s team, ESPN tells UConn “You’re playing Tennessee/Notre Dame/whoever at 8:00 on Martin Luther King Day”. Their choices have to be matched to the venues’ schedules and opponents’ schedules. There’s also NCAA rules about scheduling and travel that have to be considered. The leftover games - UConn vs DePaul, for example - can be stuck into whatever date is open.

Not as easy as picking a date and making it happen.

I know for the women’s team, ESPN tells UConn “You’re playing Tennessee/Notre Dame/whoever at 8:00 on Martin Luther King Day”.
You may feel you know but ESPN tells no team what their schedule is - they will invite teams with an idea of a match-up and can set times and date but the university decides to accept or not.

The leftover games - UConn vs DePaul, for example - can be stuck into whatever date is open.
As you said, Not as easy as picking a date and making it happen

Reaction Score
Read post #s 68 and 70.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There are plenty of things to pull your hair out when talking with him but it's a little disingenuous talking about where they played last year's PC game was played.
Not when he gets it wrong and changes the subject without coming clean.

Reaction Score
There are plenty of things to pull your hair out when talking with him but it's a little disingenuous talking about where they played last year's PC game was played.
I agree that the PC game is a small thing and doesn't change his greater point, but I still maintain he really put his foot in his mouth. Not only was his statement about the Dunk factually (albeit trivially) false, but he called @pepband99 a fool based on a complete misunderstanding of his point.

Reaction Score
Villanova is in the Big East, plays it’s home conference games in 2 buildings, yet miraculously they have a building specific schedule completed. In fact, the Wells Fargo Center has both NBA and NHL teams, yet somehow it is able to figure things out with Villanova before October 1st. Yet, UConn can’t work things out with the Wolfpack and the clown show that is XL management.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
St John’s, which plays home games in two buildings (including MSG) has also figured their schedule out. MSG has NBA and NHL teams plus many top events, but has published which buildings its games were in. It is a UConn and XL competence / efficiency issue, not anything else, as some foot in mouth posters (their terms) were cluelessly implying. Both Villanova and St John’s get on TV too. Not a good look for UConn.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
How many women's basketball or hockey games are St John's and Villanova playing at their respective pro arenas? I'll hang up and listen...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the point Chief is trying to make is that UConn games are the major revenue source for the XL Center. As such we should be given priority in scheduling and not have to work around the Wolfpack. He’s not wrong about that.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I think the point Chief is trying to make is that UConn games are the major revenue source for the XL Center. As such we should be given priority in scheduling and not have to work around the Wolfpack. He’s not wrong about that.

Sigh.

1) The conference makes the majority of our schedule.
2) The conference is almost certainly using the same process for XL, DD, MSG, etc.
3) We only have the extra added "bonus" of needing to work around maybe 20 other events, of our own doing, which are conflicting

Maybe they could publish the non-conf split, but what happens if a conflict on the conference schedule side necessitates a move? It's not worth the fairly small benefit of having an incomplete schedule published.

It's not just the WolfPack, which is why Chief's blustering is so stupid.. Especially since hockey went to HE, it almost as much our own doing as the WolfPack. (Yes, they play more games, but HE locks us into prime Fri/Sat slots which our TV partners may want).

CL82

Reaction Score
Sigh.

1) The conference makes the majority of our schedule.
2) The conference is almost certainly using the same process for XL, DD, MSG, etc.
3) We only have the extra added "bonus" of needing to work around maybe 20 other events, of our own doing, which are conflicting

Maybe they could publish the non-conf split, but what happens if a conflict on the conference schedule side necessitates a move? It's not worth the fairly small benefit of having an incomplete schedule published.

It's not just the WolfPack, which is why Chief's blustering is so stupid.. Especially since hockey went to HE, it almost as much our own doing as the WolfPack. (Yes, they play more games, but HE locks us into prime Fri/Sat slots which our TV partners may want).
You believe that conference decides where where teams play their home games? Are you sure about that? That seems unlikely to me.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You believe that conference decides where where teams play their home games? Are you sure about that? That seems unlikely to me.

No, but they do decide when we play, and home/away. I'd be shocked if the conference isn't involved with arena availability centrally, at least as a consult.

CL82

Reaction Score
No, but they do decide when we play, and home/away. I'd be shocked if the conference isn't involved with arena availability centrally, at least as a consult.
That seems unlikely given how logistically challenging it would be especially since multiple teams play in off campus arenas. I would think that league just decides the games and the home schools decide the venue.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
That seems unlikely given how logistically challenging it would be especially since multiple teams play in off campus arenas. I would think that league just decides the games and the home schools decide the venue.

But they already have to do it for all teams - they're already doing it for volleyball vs basketball, men's vs women's bb, etc. It's no different.

Either way - the idea that it's a travesty to wait, what, 1 week after the conference schedule is announced, to give us venues, is stupid. Even if everything i said on the conference is wrong, we still have a more complicated setup than every other conference member. It's a week. There are much worse things to whine to the AD about. This is not one of them.

CL82

Reaction Score
But they already have to do it for all teams - they're already doing it for volleyball vs basketball, men's vs women's bb, etc. It's no different.

Either way - the idea that it's a travesty to wait, what, 1 week after the conference schedule is announced, to give us venues, is stupid. Even if everything i said on the conference is wrong, we still have a more complicated setup than every other conference member. It's a week. There are much worse things to whine to the AD about. This is not one of them.
I don't think the league is picking the venue for volleyball either.

Regarding whether or not it is worth criticizing, everyone here has their pet peeves. I've got a near irrational dislike of Diaco. Just typing his name, I get a little pissed. I do agree with the concept that if we are the big revenue generator for the XL, the events should work around us. The Wolfpack is sore a point since they get subsidized by the State while UConn pays a premium to play there.

I've written about it before but the CDRA essentially masks some of their annually losses by overcharging UConn. Meanwhile UConn gets hammered for it's AD profitability. A big part of the loss is the artificially high cost of off campus venues. We are subsidizing the XL's operations and yank us around on scheduling? Seems like a reasonable thing to be annoyed about to me. FWIW I've heard both Benedict and Auriemma make the same complaint.

Reaction Score
Regarding whether or not it is worth criticizing, everyone here has their pet peeves. I've got a near irrational dislike of Diaco. Just typing his name, I get a little pissed. I do agree with the concept that if we are the big revenue generator for the XL, the events should work around us. The Wolfpack is sore a point since they get subsidized by the State while UConn pays a premium to play there.

I've written about it before but the CDRA essentially masks some of their annually losses by overcharging UConn. Meanwhile UConn gets hammered for it's AD profitability. A big part of the loss is the artificially high cost of off campus venues. We are subsidizing the XL's operations and yank us around on scheduling? Seems like a reasonable thing to be annoyed about to me. FWIW I've heard both Benedict and Auriemma make the same complaint.
They're not explicitly saying men's basketball is playing on Friday at 7 PM at XL but when the Big East is making a volleyball and basketball schedule and chooses a 6 PM home volleyball game and a 7 PM home basketball game you're effectively holding UConn's hand and walking them right up to choosing XL for men's basketball

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

My point about vball/etc is that the conference comes in and says: "you have a home game for MBB at 7PM December 32nd" - they probably wouldn't also tell you "you have a home game for VB at 7PM December 32nd," without at least having venues in play.

If CRDA is a trigger, fine. I get it. I get the sense that if this were wholly on them, the AD would have no problem tweeting out "the venue schedule is pending CRDA approval," both to placate and pass blame. They essentially did exactly that with SNY and the AAC. My sense is that this a mess to schedule around, and giving the AD, and even CRDA, a very small buffer to make sure everything works, isn't unreasonable.

CL82

Reaction Score
They're not explicitly saying men's basketball is playing on Friday at 7 PM at XL but when the Big East is making a volleyball and basketball schedule and chooses a 6 PM home volleyball game and a 7 PM home basketball game you're effectively holding UConn's hand and walking them right up to choosing XL for men's basketball
Yep but they aren't deciding where to play. That's up to the school. That's the point. The conference isn't negotiating dates with the XL.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
My point about vball/etc is that the conference comes in and says: "you have a home game for MBB at 7PM December 32nd" - they probably wouldn't also tell you "you have a home game for VB at 7PM December 32nd," without at least having venues in play.

If CRDA is a trigger, fine. I get it. I get the sense that if this were wholly on them, the AD would have no problem tweeting out "the venue schedule is pending CRDA approval," both to placate and pass blame. They essentially did exactly that with SNY and the AAC. My sense is that this a mess to schedule around, and giving the AD, and even CRDA, a very small buffer to make sure everything works, isn't unreasonable.
Yep, the league sets the schedule and the school has to work with XL to set a date. So scheduling is just between the school and the XL.

FWIW, Benedict has talked about it, as has Geno. I get the sense, and this definitely reading the tea leaves, that Benedict will push for less games at the XL. It isn't cost effective anymore. I think, eventually we will end up with fewer games mostly big draw games where we can take advantage of the larger capacity and games during winter break.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom