2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas Watch | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am going to sound emotional and self Serving. But I would have wanted Thomas to commit by now. Money talks and bull—- walks. If you are about culture and winning and improving, there is one option for you. Make your decision. The more time passes the more I am rooting for Lewis to be a Husky.

Reaction Score
in a way dybantsa's dad being completely honest about the NIL priority saves a lot of time investment for a lot of programs. prob better than the stringing along approach.
There is just nothing “collegiate” about how this kid feels. There is no school growing up, no desire to win, no being part of a team or program. It’s as stepping stone as I have felt with a top recruit. So sure his dad is transparent, but it doesn’t even feel like they care other than $$. Seems like the kind of kid better suited for the Ron Holland route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
There is just nothing “collegiate” about how this kid feels. There is no school growing up, no desire to win, no being part of a team or program. It’s as stepping stone as I have felt with a top recruit. So sure his dad is transparent, but it doesn’t even feel like they give an f other than $$. Seems like the kind of kid better suited for the Ron Holland route.
Went to a school that was heavily pre-med. a lot of those kids never saw the light of day, no fb games, frat parties, p/t jobs, hanging out and listening to records, chasing girls/boys etc

They were very focused. Is that different than Dybsanta?

Reaction Score
Went to a school that was heavily pre-med. a lot of those kids never saw the light of day, no fb games, frat parties, p/t jobs, hanging out and listening to records, chasing girls/boys etc

They were very focused. Is that different than Dybsanta?

Objectively... yes. It's very different.

I don't really care about Dybantsa enough to complain, but your point here isn't really working the way you think it is.

Reaction Score
I am going to sound emotional and self Serving. But I would have wanted Thomas to commit by now. Money talks and bull—- walks. If you are about culture and winning and improving, there is one option for you. Make your decision. The more time passes the more I am rooting for Lewis to be a Husky.

Agree 100% with the first sentence.

Reaction Score
The character assassinations of kids and their families that don't go to UConn are beyond corny and lame now, it's kinda wild that some of y'all are actually adults talking like this.
saying that a kid is a bag-chaser is an objectively true statement if what Trilly has said is true. Now I know the dad is kind of a weirdo and wants to do everything in the recruitment, so I guess that could be it. Honestly a lot of the bag-chasers that really don't care about winning aren't bad kids, but as basketball players, they are more focused on money than improving their game or winning. On the other hand, if it is all the dad, than obviously it isn't the kid's fault. I would actually feel a bit of empathy. it seems weird that he isn't allowed to do anything in the recruitment.

Reaction Score
It’s been reported or rumored that the family has established a minimum amount for NIL, and will evaluate schools meeting the minimum. That’s a deal-breaker for Hurley.

There’s nothing wrong with either approach. Wish the kid well and move on, reducing him to a “bag-chaser” is weird.

This is America, we’re all chasing a bag.

pj

Reaction Score
There is just nothing “collegiate” about how this kid feels. There is no school growing up, no desire to win, no being part of a team or program. It’s as stepping stone as I have felt with a top recruit. So sure his dad is transparent, but it doesn’t even feel like they give an f other than $$. Seems like the kind of kid better suited for the Ron Holland route.

It sounds like Ace Dybantsa is screening based on NIL, and then with a final 8 or whatever it is he'll let AJ evaluate the schools and pick his favorite. He was quoted in one of the posts here as saying if AJ's favorite school offered $8 million NIL and another offered $10 million NIL, they'd go with AJ's favorite for $8 million. Based on that, AJ hasn't had a say yet, and AJ may care about non-financial considerations.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
saying that a kid is a bag-chaser is an objectively true statement if what Trilly has said is true. Now I know the dad is kind of a weirdo and wants to do everything in the recruitment, so I guess that could be it. Honestly a lot of the bag-chasers that really don't care about winning aren't bad kids, but as basketball players, they are more focused on money than improving their game or winning. On the other hand, if it is all the dad, than obviously it isn't the kid's fault. I would actually feel a bit of empathy. it seems weird that he isn't allowed to do anything in the recruitment.
Some kids actually are just that good though that they can do that. There’s been a few situations where a kid went to a school like Oklahoma State or LSU and did just fine.

In some cases they may do themselves a favor by doing so if a coach can’t mesh them correctly with a team ala Cam Reddish.

Reaction Score
Wondering where we are with Aristode? Have not heard his name brought up among BY'ers in a while.

I don't think we're recruiting him. His performance at Brewster this past season wasn't wow'ing anybody

Reaction Score
Some kids actually are just that good though that they can do that. There’s been a few situations where a kid went to a school like Oklahoma State or LSU and did just fine.

In some cases they may do themselves a favor by doing so if a coach can’t mesh them correctly with a team ala Cam Reddish.
May be that good but not sure any one freshman can be that valuable to a teams success. These kids at 18 all have limitations when going up against men in their first year. We shall see with Flagg this year.

AJ is probably a great kid. His recruitment has just felt entirely transactional without a shred of soul in it. His apparent top choice is due to NIL and the coach having just come from being an NBA assistant.

Reaction Score
The visibility that the average fan has into any particular kid's recruiting is virtually nil. The narratives and counter-narratives being spun out of a few random articles by people who may or may not have any more information that anyone on here has are ridiculous. I get that UConn fans want kids to come to UConn but some of the conclusions being drawn by adults about these kids are nuts. And I have no idea what a recruitment with "soul" would look like - maybe some Jimmy Chitwood quotes about "I've always dreamed about having ice cream at the Dairy Barn after wearing the uniform of good old State U."

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
May be that good but not sure any one freshman can be that valuable to a teams success. These kids at 18 all have limitations when going up against men in their first year. We shall see with Flagg this year.

AJ is probably a great kid. His recruitment has just felt entirely transactional without a shred of soul in it. His apparent top choice is due to NIL and the coach having just come from being an NBA assistant.
You’re looking at it from a team point of view.

When looking at it from the kids point of view and doing what is best for them and there family. Winning a knockout tournament in one year probably isn’t going to be that high on the list.

Especially when they have much better odds of taking care of their families now in college, while also still looking at the best long term option of the NBA and making more money there. That’s most kids ultimate goal. Justifiably.

Reaction Score

When looking at it from the kids point of view and doing what is best for them and there family. Winning a knockout tournament in one year probably isn’t going to be that high on the list.

Especially when they have much better odds of taking care of their families now in college, while also still looking at the best long term option of the NBA and making more money there. That’s most kids ultimate goal. Justifiably.
I get this but when you are associating yourself with a college program, that has fans, alumni and pride, you can strike a balance in the approach. It’s bigger than the individual and that recognition is part of good character.

Who is going to walk away feeling like they have an actual relationship with a university that they can always lean on, Stephon or Isiah Collier?

Maybe I’m asking for too much here, but like DH, would like to see a kid that has a little bit invested in helping a program in some meaningful way, versus just helping themself.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I get this but when you are associating yourself with a college program, that has fans, alumni and pride, you can strike a balance in the approach. It’s bigger than the individual and that recognition is part of good character.

Who is going to walk away feeling like they have an actual relationship with a university that they can always lean on, Stephon or Isiah Collier?

Maybe I’m asking for too much here, but like DH, would like to see a kid that has a little bit invested in helping a program in some meaningful way, versus just helping themself.
I think this is a reasonable viewpoint for multi year players and college football players. Not one and done super recruits.

And it’s not a reflection of their character if they don’t take that into account. At most, you join the NBA alumni fraternity that school (or coach in Cal’s case) has.

As far as helping the program, it’s like anybody else searching for a job. You look for the best fit and who pays the most. Once you find that you offer your services to the best of your abilities. You can do both. The 5*s are just super confident in the services they offer.

… like any other job seeker who is really talented.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We were really lucky with guys like Castle (late riser) and Liam (super late decommit) in getting highly talented guys to come without having to be the super bag guys.

Castle is a testament to the staffs eye for talent in recruiting. But when guys are known talents upfront, it should probably be expected they’ll value themselves in a certain way.

Our staff is either going to have to keep finding those diamonds in the rough like Hawkins, Castle, Clingan, and more or play the game eventually.

Reaction Score

If the conversation is Stephon Castle vs Isaiah Collier that's a completely different conversation than AJ Dybantsa. If the NBA didn't have their stupid rule he wouldn't even have to go through this charade.

He's a generational player who is going to have half the NBA tanking to try to get him. There's no reason for him to care about a relationship with a college program, he'll have everything he needs and more with the NBA support system

Reaction Score
Trilly on his discord says Dysbantsas choice will be to the highest bidder, and why BYU and KSt are in it. Apparently he heard KSt has mega type donors willing to write checks and it’s why they appear on so many top recruit lists (they paid Coleman Hawkins 2mm).

Interesting intel because now fairly obvious why Hurley tapped out with Dysbantsa. Beyond the dad being odd and controlling, college is 100% just a bag to the NBA for that kid. Thomas also has KSt on his short list, which is an indicator that NIL is a major driver (despite playing KSt off as an all diverse coaching staff). I mean what top recruit goes to Manhattan, KS for any other reason than NIL? Even though he went Dukes way, Cooper handled his recruitment is such a more authentic way than AJ, who is a one year cash mercenary - hard to route for.

NIL should be important but if it’s clear that it’s far and away the most important and you’re willing to go to a second rate program for it, Godspeed.
And even harder to ROOT for

Reaction Score

Winning a knockout tournament?.... It's more than a knockout tournament. Its the pinnacle of the sport, that greatly greatly enhances the value of the players that succeed in it. From the viewpoint of the kids they should want that.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Winning a knockout tournament?.... It's more than a knockout tournament. Its the pinnacle of the sport, that greatly greatly enhances the value of the players that succeed in it. From the viewpoint of the kids they should want that.
I love the tournament, but succeeding in there is not the end all be all from a strictly long term vantage point. It’s a luxury more than anything. Kevin Durant didn’t even make it out the round of 32. Reed and Dillingham both just went top 10 (non top 10 recruits by the way) after getting upset in the 1st round.

Would you personally give up over 1 million to increase your chances at winning a title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom