2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas Watch | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Meleek Thomas Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's the latest take from Arkansas. Note the headline..........

I stopped reading when I hit what seemed to be the crux of the argument: that Meleek can work hard and learn to fit into a culture and win at UConn, or he can link up with a friend (this basically never happens) and face no pressure at all to conform. Wild that Arkansas fans have already dove head first into their Cal fealty and twisting themselves into knots to delude themselves into thinking they would want a kid who would come here to not be challenged so play around with a buddy for 9 months.

As an aside, if you were to ask the most diet hard Cal supporter what kind of culture Cal seeks to have support his program, what could they tell you?

Reaction Score
For the summer winners, Solo Ball came in 2nd for the first and second part. Jayden Ross came in 3rd in both sessions as well. Diarra in 1st.

By that logic does that mean that should be the starting 1-3? That’s a whole summer of results and competition that was measured.

Alex Karaban was also mentioned as a leader as well.

IIRC Diarra also won a session or two last year. Doesn’t necessarily translate to who will be the starters. Granted it’s a different team this year.

Reaction Score
Here's the latest take from Arkansas. Note the headline..........

Feels like the Meleek Thomas story is spinning on its own axis. He hasn't actually done or said anything to change his recruitment. But the rivals crew plus Zanetto and that random Twitter guy have in that time 100% crystal ball'd him to UConn and said he's definitely coming and now have done a 180 and said he's not coming.

So they were wrong once no matter what... Maybe their sources are just not that good.

And in that article itself they muse that their own conclusions might just be a recruiting tactic by Hurley. Which means they really don't know anything.

awy

Reaction Score
still going with my initial assessment of the player being a fit but UConn won't budge on the NIL side and there's a dance of finding leverage by both sides. it may or may not work out.

so prediction wise nobody knows anything as usual. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
still going with my initial assessment of the player being a fit but UConn won't budget on the NIL side and there's a dance of finding leverage by both sides. it may or may not work out.

so prediction wise nobody knows anything as usual. :D
This seems very plausible….because what else does calipari have to throw at this kid

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
IIRC Diarra also won a session or two last year. Doesn’t necessarily translate to who will be the starters. Granted it’s a different team this year.
I’m not sure who won it last year tbh. Not sure if anyone can verify.

But also our starters were pretty locked in last year. There’s suppose to be an open competition for all the spots outside of Karaban. And if the more talented guys are practicing harder and being recognized for it well… 2+2= lol

Reaction Score
I'm probably in the minority, but if that's the case--I'm going all in on Lewis. Need a couple real lead guards on the roster. I think he's underrated and should be top-15 based on pure production.

With Mahaney on the roster during Meleek's OAD season, what we really need is a 2/3 combo-ish like Mullins/Adams. Obviously not complaining if MT commits. He's a freak talent and probably the best of our recruits outside Ament. He'd just require a little more adjustment roster construction-wise.

Unrelated but I REALLY want Yessoufou if we can pull it off. He's a problem on defense.
I kind of agree with you, but also because I'm factoring in that I dont think Lewis is a one and done. I like his court sense and is def on the rise. He's got the high iq pg swag I like. Thomas, Lewis, Yessoofou and Reibe. Where do I sign? :)

Reaction Score
Don't know much about Yessoufou but I understand he's a rugged 5* two way player with a high motor. Plays taller than his 6'5" stature. Just announced an OV to his "dream school" Kentucky for their Big Blue Madness weekend-Oct 11th.

Guessing that our staff feels we need to reload at the 4 spot with mock draft projections for two of our guys on this year's roster for 2025-26.

Would seem that one of Ament-Bundalo-Yessoufou would be a great fit.Gotta get Tounde in for an OV.

Reaction Score
I concur with the other Zanetto haters. Noxious self-inflation and self-promotion when he clearly does not have insider info or even analytical insight. People hate on Sleeper's deliberate hot takes, but those guys are significantly better analysts, have better sources, and they poke fun at themselves/have chemistry. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
I concur with the other Zanetto haters. Noxious self-inflation and self-promotion when he clearly does not have insider info or even analytical insight. People hate on Sleeper's deliberate hot takes, but those guys are significantly better analysts, have better sources, and they poke fun at themselves/have chemistry. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I like the Locked On podcast because it’s every day and I crave content…but agreed that Zanetto doesn’t really know anything and likes to create narratives out of thin air. I find myself just correcting him half the time while listening.

Reaction Score
I love the Sleepers dudes - they don’t do a lot of claiming, more banter, and within it do know their hoops on a much broader level than Zanetto. They also do a good job of seeming some humility into their schtick. They’re always hitting the most relevant off season topics and keep it light, do a great job of coming up with creative back and forth games to entertain. I’m a fan. Midwest and Big10 fans know and love their college sports.

Zanetto is hit or miss, usually miss. He feels like a UConn evangelist.

Reaction Score
I thought the linked article had some interesting information. I thought this was hysterical though "He lacks the raw, explosive athleticism of previous John Calipari-taught guards such as Malik Monk or De’Aaron Fox". What does he teach anyone? Those two examples weren't drafted for anything coach Cal taught them.

Reaction Score
This seems very plausible….because what else does calipari have to throw at this kid
His pitch is probably I'll get you into the NBA.........look how many of my guys make the league and become great players there.

The recruits don't do any research to find that his players that make the league are the most highly rated out of HS and Cal's "development program" is still under development.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His pitch is probably I'll get you into the NBA.........look how many of my guys make the league and look how they become great players there.
The recruits don't do any research to find that his players that make the league are the most highly rated out of HS and Cal's "development program" is still under development.
That his definitely not a pitch and I think you need to give these kids a little more credit. They know that he is the one and done coach. What they get under him is a bag of cash and the freedom to do what they want. They know the guys previous to them have not been coached up and frankly have not been needed to be coached up. If that’s what they want, that’s where they go. But if you think that is somehow a secret, you are badly mistaken. All you have to do is look at Cals “results” with all this talent to know that.

Reaction Score
I thought the linked article had some interesting information. I thought this was hysterical though "He lacks the raw, explosive athleticism of previous John Calipari-taught guards such as Malik Monk or De’Aaron Fox". What does he teach anyone? Those two examples weren't drafted for anything coach Cal taught them.

You vastly overestimate how much thought some highly sought after recruits put into their decision-making process.

Reaction Score
After reading the Pig article, I have a few thoughts. Every one of these highly sought after recruits expect the sun will set on them. As they all make their lists of schools to consider, there will always be talent already there. Doesn’t Meleek know if he chooses Arkansas or Kansas,, he will jockey for Playing time with Acuff and Peterson. Does he expect UConn to be any different? I don’t blame Danny one bit for not pandering or groveling or caving in on paying the most NIL. These kids have done nothing at the college level and not one of them is bigger than the program. We have already proven time and again we win chips without a whole team of 5*s. Is Danny supposed to keep a scolly open in the hopes that Meleek will sign and then run the risk of losing another recruit. I would say, if you really want to come to UConn to improve and win, then some extra NIL money shouldn’t be a factor. Remember the kids that are considering us these days, will earn far more at the next level. Unless of course you are Nick Timberlake. Tell these kids that they need to see the forest for the trees.

Reaction Score
Trilly on his discord says Dysbantsas choice will be to the highest bidder, and why BYU and KSt are in it. Apparently he heard KSt has mega type donors willing to write checks and it’s why they appear on so many top recruit lists (they paid Coleman Hawkins 2mm).

Interesting intel because now fairly obvious why Hurley tapped out with Dysbantsa. Beyond the dad being odd and controlling, college is 100% just a bag to the NBA for that kid. Thomas also has KSt on his short list, which is an indicator that NIL is a major driver (despite playing KSt off as an all diverse coaching staff). I mean what top recruit goes to Manhattan, KS for any other reason than NIL? Even though he went Dukes way, Cooper handled his recruitment is such a more authentic way than AJ, who is a one year cash mercenary - hard to route for.

NIL should be important but if it’s clear that it’s far and away the most important and you’re willing to go to a second rate program for it, Godspeed.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I know money and Squid saying give me one semester and then see ya when I see ya are big factors, but I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone when we’re competing with Arkansas for recruits.

Reaction Score
You vastly overestimate how much thought some highly sought after recruits put into their decision-making process.
We're talking about 16 year olds trying to find their way in the world. Clout, rep, and cool is king. Well and now NIL is king.

Say what you want about him, Calipari presents as cool and his rep and clout are off the charts with his NBA rolodex. Hurley for being a bald white man in his 50s from New Jersey who drinks mushroom piss water is actually pretty cool and hilarious and his clout is off the charts right now. Kim English has way less clout and rep, but English is still cool enough to get multiple top 50 kids a cycle at Providence, despite them having 1 sweet 16 in 27 years and him never personally coaching a top 50 KenPom team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom