2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs

Reaction Score
If history holds the Aces and Lynx REALLY need wins tonight.

Becky will need to figure out match ups as SB was relentless in exploiting Vegas when Stokes was on the floor. I believe she only had 15 minutes and it's going to be a challenge for the Aces to win with the four guard lineup against Liberty front court.

Cheryl Reeves has to have her fingers crossed that her team hits the three ball. I got the sense the Sun smelled blood in the water as they closed out Minnesota Sunday

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
BBall Index just released advanced stats for this WNBA season. They aggregate player impact using a stat called LEBRON. The ranking is based on a per-possession basis.

Some interesting observations. Angel Reese finishes slightly ahead of CC, 24th vs 32th (Time to re-kindle the embers of that debate). Brink is number 1 in the league in D-LEBRON. Kelsey Mitchell's defense grades out horribly.

Reaction Score
Feels like every 10th post I see on Facebook right now is a "told you so" celebrating the much lower TV ratings the WNBA drew for Sunday's semifinal games. The Sun-Lynx dropoff was particularly stark, drawing around 650,000, compared to the 2.5 millionish that Sun-Fever game 2 drew. (Liberty-Aces drew about 300K more for their semifinal opener.)

I'm finding this dynamic really frustrating. It seems like there's this mass of vindictive "Caitlin or bust" people that want the WNBA to rig games (either on the sly or openly) so Clark and whatever team she's on keep winning all the way through to the finals, which is terrifying pro wrestling stuff. However, the TV ratings really are several times larger when she's playing, and I'd imagine some WNBA folks are going to be tempted to boost the Fever whenever possible, and cut the knees off teams like Connecticut that play in small markets and have little fan support outside of their home area. In fact, I have a feeling the Sun won't be playing in Connecticut much longer - the league is going to want to move them to Boston to capture a larger TV market. As a local Sun fan, I'm hoping they find a way to win it this year, because I doubt they'll get many more chances while representing my home state.

Reaction Score
BBall Index just released advanced stats for this WNBA season. They aggregate player impact using a stat called LEBRON. The ranking is based on a per-possession basis.

Some interesting observations. Angel Reese finishes slightly ahead of CC, 24th vs 32th (Time to re-kindle the embers of that debate). Brink is number 1 in the league in D-LEBRON. Kelsey Mitchell's defense grades out horribly.
Kelsey also tended to play against the best guard, so there is some leeway needed because she was definitely better than most of their other guards (with the eye test) but she got cooked more often because she was defending again better competition. One thing I noticed about the Fever is that Boston is their only good all-around player. That needs to change. They basically have three good offensive players (Boston, Mitchell and Clark) and two good defensive players (Boston and Fagbenle).

Another thing to note is that on paper, Seattle looks like the second best team in the league.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Kelsey also tended to play against the best guard, so there is some leeway needed because she was definitely better than most of their other guards (with the eye test) but she got cooked more often because she was defending again better competition. One thing I noticed about the Fever is that Boston is their only good all-around player. That needs to change. They basically have three good offensive players (Boston, Mitchell and Clark) and two good defensive players (Boston and Fagbenle).

Another thing to note is that on paper, Seattle looks like the second best team in the league.
Didn't Lexie Hull get put into the lineup due to her defensive prowess (or at least the ability to stay with the opposing team's wing)?
And then, after the Olympics, she (re)discoverd her three-pointer and became as well known for that?

Reaction Score
Didn't Lexie Hull get put into the lineup due to her defensive prowess (or at least the ability to stay with the opposing team's wing)?
And then, after the Olympics, she (re)discoverd her three-pointer and became as well known for that?
Yeah, I think her LeBron numbers would be in the positive direction based on her after-olympics heroics but since the numbers are a story of the whole season, she basically had neutral metrics. But yes, I think going forward that Lexie could be another good all-around player for the Fever.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Geez, I love watching Kayla Thornton. Was ( not unexpectedly) unaware of her till she’d been in the W for a couple of years. Strong, fast, great motor, quiet, just goes about her business very matter-of-factly.
Thornton and Vandersloot contributed 16 points on 100% shooting in the first half off the bench.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Vegas nearly stole this despite playing poorly, but Gray with a bad inbound pass w/ 10 seconds left w/ a chance to tie or take the lead gave away any chance. She had a good first quarter but was bad after that. Terrible game for Plum, she got benched just about the whole 4th quarter. Wilson was good but not quite MVP level. Good game for Young.

Stewie did stat sheet stuffing but wasn't on fire this game like Game 1. She didn't need to be, good balanced scoring. Ionescu best player on the floor tonight.

Reaction Score
Feels like every 10th post I see on Facebook right now is a "told you so" celebrating the much lower TV ratings the WNBA drew for Sunday's semifinal games. The Sun-Lynx dropoff was particularly stark, drawing around 650,000, compared to the 2.5 millionish that Sun-Fever game 2 drew. (Liberty-Aces drew about 300K more for their semifinal opener.)

I'm finding this dynamic really frustrating. It seems like there's this mass of vindictive "Caitlin or bust" people that want the WNBA to rig games (either on the sly or openly) so Clark and whatever team she's on keep winning all the way through to the finals, which is terrifying pro wrestling stuff. However, the TV ratings really are several times larger when she's playing, and I'd imagine some WNBA folks are going to be tempted to boost the Fever whenever possible, and cut the knees off teams like Connecticut that play in small markets and have little fan support outside of their home area. In fact, I have a feeling the Sun won't be playing in Connecticut much longer - the league is going to want to move them to Boston to capture a larger TV market. As a local Sun fan, I'm hoping they find a way to win it this year, because I doubt they'll get many more chances while representing my home state.
First, Facebook is a cesspool of wannabe "sports media pages" lazily creating articles to stoke the narrative. They never reference actual people and use anecdotal comments for their "proof". Frankly, let them because people will eventually get bored and they'll find something else to troll to make money.

Second, these games are also going against NFL football which doesn't help things. While the Connecticut - Minnesota game had 600K+, it was going up against Sunday Night Football. Not an easy feat. The Vegas-NY game had over 900k and peaked at 1M viewers at one point. The numbers are the WNBA's best in over 2 decades.

Sure it's not 2 million, but it's nothing to sneeze at. Three or four years ago, they weren't getting these numbers, but it's been steadily increasing.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
If they do, they're cooked. Must wins for both Minnesota and Vegas.
It's a must win for Minnesota (can't lose two games at home), but Vegas has a chance to tie it up with two home games of their own. When Vegas went up 2-0 last year in the Finals, the prevailing media sentiment was that NY (after two embarrassing games) would easily tie it up and win Game 5 in Vegas because they had the league MVP. These two games in Brooklyn haven't been blowouts, so that's something. History has to be made at some point, so why not now?

Make no mistake about it. Vegas is up against it. We'll see how they respond. They're saying all the right things in the pressers, so we'll see.

Unrelated (listening to post-game press conferences): As the league grows, I hope that the media evolves as well. Some of these questions are just so steeped in idiocy. There's no way that these "journalists" would get an NFL/NBA beat.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lynx gotta feel good about winning Game 2 with Collier having a very subpar game. On the flip side Sun gotta be a little worried.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Is Juhasz still not healthy? I think she could be effective when the Sun have Nelson-Ododa in. Plus I‘d like to see that.
I think Dorka is ok, but I'll let our resident Lynx fan/expert, @JellyBean , clarify that.
Both the Lynx and Sun have tightened their rotations and each only played three substitutes. Coach Reeve chose to give minutes to Cecilia Zandalasini (17 minutes) and Myisha Hines-Allen (15 minutes).

Collier didn't come out for a second, so only so minutes to go around. Don't know if it's this year, but Dorka will get her minutes. Between the expansion draft and Hines-Allen being an UFA, I've got to think a forward/post will clear out.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Lynx gotta feel good about winning Game 2 with Collier having a very subpar game. On the flip side Sun gotta be a little worried.
Should the Sun be worried because Collier did have an off-game shooting (she did well in many other areas) and they lost?
If so, I'd adjust the verb. ticked? I'd also be ticked that every time they looked ready to make a run, the Lynx they left open burned them, most notably Smith on three's or offensive boards. I know the Sun wants to double on Collier, but you can't let Smith be that open and/or not put a body on her.

Or, maybe the Sun can and see if she can do it again in Connecticut? After all, mission accomplished in Minnesota (to me, at least) for the Sun: they grabbed one win away and come home 1-1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes and no regarding the Sun. Mabrey having an off shooting night from 3 is rare. Considering they are the only team to win a road game so far, they did what was necessary to make it a series by winning Game 1.

Reaction Score
Should the Sun be worried because Collier did have an off-game shooting (she did well in many other areas) and they lost?
If so, I'd adjust the verb. ticked? I'd also be ticked that every time they looked ready to make a run, the Lynx they left open burned them, most notably Smith on three's or offensive boards. I know the Sun wants to double on Collier, but you can't let Smith that open.

Or, maybe you can and see if she can do it again in Connecticut? After all, mission accomplished (to me, at least) for the Sun: they grabbed one away and come home 1-1.
Great minds think alike. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom