2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Why do you always have to chime in with a UConn reference when someone posts to credit a non-Uconn player? Everyone knows how awesome Maya was. It goes without having to be said.

A lot of people have forgotten about Maya. She hasn't played in 6 years.

And congrats to DWB. She has been really good for a long time and is probably under-appreciated. Plus, she was pleasant enough to chat with some of us at the World Cup in Istanbul in 2014.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why do I get the feeling that A'ja is about to go wild on the Liberty? She always seems to step up her game when her back is against a wall...
There's that and Coach Hammond's comments after game 2 that could be another motivating factor. The last thing I think A'ja wants to hear is that she isn't focused on the end goal.

Reaction Score
Finally basketball tonight. I hope the Liberty close it out, but I'm sure the Aces are going to be fired up against the home crowd.
I think Phee will have a lot of fans at Mohegan Sun.

Reaction Score
Finally basketball tonight. I hope the Liberty close it out, but I'm sure the Aces are going to be fired up against the home crowd.
I think Phee will have a lot of fans at Mohegan Sun.
No doubt. It's going to be a great environment for a play-off game tonight. Sucks that I have another event to attend and I won't get to see this game in real time.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
After dropping Game 1, Lynx are about to go up 2-1. I watched a few minutes, but I had to change the channel. It is LUDICROUS what Thomas gets away with on the court. Makes an absolute mockery of the game. She has 1 foul called against her. I saw her absolutely demolish an opponent twice in about 2 minutes, neither resulting in a foul called against her. She should foul out of every game she plays in about 20 minutes if the refs were actually competent.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Aces/Liberty Game 3 was strange. Really entertaining back and forth first half. Lib were awful after halftime and Vegas ran away with it. Young and Plum combined for 44, 19/14 for Wilson, another good game for Hayes off the bench. Gray was dishing some sweet dimes.

Ionescu no showed. Vegas really made a point of defending her tightly. Stewie started hot and then cooled off.

Reaction Score
Aces/Liberty Game 3 was strange. Really entertaining back and forth first half. Lib were awful after halftime and Vegas ran away with it. Young and Plum combined for 44, 19/14 for Wilson, another good game for Hayes off the bench. Gray was dishing some sweet dimes.

Ionescu no showed. Vegas really made a point of defending her tightly. Stewie started hot and then cooled off.

Coach Hammon wasn't going to let Ionescu have the freedom she did with the lay ups like she did the first two games. Their defensive switching was much better compared to the previous games.

The guard play for Vegas was very impressive. Didn't Lobo say this was the first game that Hayes, Plum and Gray were clicking on all cylinders?

Reaction Score
Gonna have to play Gustafson some this game. I can't see going small ball for 40 minutes. She hasn't appeared yet in this series.
Much like here in Minnesota when it comes to Dorka, I never understood why the Aces coaching staff won't play Megan more. Two or three possessions out there just to see what develops. It could payoff or it could not.

Reaction Score
Hats off to my beloved Minnesota Lynx! The shots ( mid-range and layups) were falling. The three point shooting...we gotta work on that. But those mid-range shots were on fire! I loved that Dorka got some minutes out there. I am glad that Coach gave her a shot out there.

Mabrey. I hope she has one more bad shooting night. One more 6-20 shooting night. We will take it. :D

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Much like here in Minnesota when it comes to Dorka, I never understood why the Aces coaching staff won't play Megan more. Two or three possessions out there just to see what develops. It could payoff or it could not.
In fairness, Aces were 20 minutes from their season ending. "could pay off or it could not" would not be my advised strategy in those circumstances. :D

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gustafson logged 12 minutes in the game. Some of it was at garbage time, but she had several stints throughout the game. Didn't really do anything statistically, but I don't think she hurt them while she was on the floor. Egbo even got 3 minutes at the end.

Reaction Score
Coach Hammon wasn't going to let Ionescu have the freedom she did with the lay ups like she did the first two games. Their defensive switching was much better compared to the previous games.

The guard play for Vegas was very impressive. Didn't Lobo say this was the first game that Hayes, Plum and Gray were clicking on all cylinders?
Something like that. They looked and played well out there.

Reaction Score
I've wondered about Dorka's but the roster was very different last season. The depth at her position has made it tougher for her to crack the line up. The same thing is happening with Diamond Miller who started a fair bit last season. Reeves is relying on veterans big time this year.

Reaction Score
I've wondered about Dorka's but the roster was very different last season. The depth at her position has made it tougher for her to crack the line up. The same thing is happening with Diamond Miller who started a fair bit last season. Reeves is relying on veterans big time this year.
Great points and I get that Coach is going with her vets out there and players, in this case Dorka, it is going to be tough cracking the line up, but for me, and thankfully I ain't coaching the Lynx right now. We might be out of the playoffs if I were coaching. But for me, sometimes that hidden piece that could win a game or title, could be sitting right on that bench and you will never know until you give them that chance. Dorka didn't hurt the team during her time out there and I believe at one point in the game, Reeve had four reserves on the court with Bridget, who has been a beast this season!! I am proud of her and for her!

Reaction Score
Great points and I get that Coach is going with her vets out there and players, in this case Dorka, it is going to be tough cracking the line up, but for me, and thankfully I ain't coaching the Lynx right now. We might be out of the playoffs if I were coaching. But for me, sometimes that hidden piece that could win a game or title, could be sitting right on that bench and you will never know until you give them that chance. Dorka didn't hurt the team during her time out there and I believe at one point in the game, Reeve had four reserves on the court with Bridget, who has been a beast this season!! I am proud of her and for her!
No argument there. I've been of the opinion that Dorka could contribute. My post was based on gut feeling with what I've seen this season. Reeve hasn't given rookies or 2nd year players as many opportunities compared to last year. Not sure why.

Reaction Score

A nice 2 minute clip of Ionescu breaking down what she experienced last night. The chess match tomorrow in how the Liberty responds will be fun to watch.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
No argument there. I've been of the opinion that Dorka could contribute. My post was based on gut feeling with what I've seen this season. Reeve hasn't given rookies or 2nd year players as many opportunities compared to last year. Not sure why.
@JellyBean

In my straightforward and cut-to-the-chase mode today, Coach Reeve is going for it and the way she thinks this is going to get done is with her starters (she'll play Collier 45 minutes in a 40-minute game if she could) and her key subs. And, as noted, those subs are mostly vets (Hines-Allen) or ones that add some contrast (Zandalasini, for the most part).

As noted in an earlier post, I liked Dorka's play last year, but think Reeve thinks the Lynx can win it all and is playing accordingly. Plus, she traded for HInes-Allen, has liked what she's seen and knows Mish is basically a rented player for this season, who may or may not be back. Use her.

Dorka, like Gustafson, can give results if given time (and that could be somewheresville next year). But right now, the play for two coaches who are only going to go with whom they think will get 'em there.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Those three played well and Vegas' cause will be very well served if they continue to do so.
If Jackie Young - who might've played one of her most efficient games since prior to the Olympic-- plays like she did last night, that's going to make this a "we're going back to New York series." In addition to a 55% (overall percentage) - 40% (from three) night, she was gliding again, which -- as a longtime Young watcher -- is key to her game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom