2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Reaction Score
I thought the place was hoppin' last night. However, Di'joni Carrington was p'oed at the WNBA for not promoting the game and (merely) having it on league pass only. When this game was scheduled, it could've had Cameron Brink and been a good enough top-liner, so I've got to lean with DC on this one. Bit of a misstep by WNBA who were probably taking their cue from major media players.
Here's the article.
Dillion77- - -The Sun vs Sparks game from Boston was televised on NBC Sports Boston, who has the rights to the Sun games!
So it wasn't just on League Pass!
But DC has a good point that more press should have been done!
The Tuesday Seattle vs Washington game was blacked out here in CT because of contract issues! Why?
There are blackouts of games that aren't showing local teams! That makes no sense!

Reaction Score
Is there a chance Wilson doesn’t win MVP if Aces finish, say, 25-15? Been a long time since a winner came from anywhere other than a top two or three team. But no one else has ever had a season like hers, either.

Reaction Score
Is there a chance Wilson doesn’t win MVP if Aces finish, say, 25-15? Been a long time since a winner came from anywhere other than a top two or three team. But no one else has ever had a season like hers, either.
I think it depends on how she ends the season. If her stats come down a bit (15 and 9 tonight is good but not unanimous MVP worthy) the next month. and the Ace's don't finish top 3 there is a small chance she doesn't get it. Very small but the door is open with them being in 5th place right now. I think they also have one of the tougher schedules to close the season as well, playing almost every other day from own until the 19th with road games @ New York, @Minny @ CT @ PHX @ Seattle and @Indiana x 2 left. Lots of basketball left to play though I'd still pencil in A'jas name on that MVP trophy right now.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think it depends on how she ends the season. If her stats come down a bit (15 and 9 tonight is good but not unanimous MVP worthy) the next month. and the Ace's don't finish top 3 there is a small chance she doesn't get it. Very small but the door is open with them being in 5th place right now. I think they also have one of the tougher schedules to close the season as well, playing almost every other day from own until the 19th with road games @ New York, @Minny @ CT @ PHX @ Seattle and @Indiana x 2 left. Lots of basketball left to play though I'd still pencil in A'jas name on that MVP trophy right now.
Only viable options would be Collier, Stewart or Ionescu. After last year’s snub and all the hype and talk about A’ja this year, I don’t see anyone taking it from her. If they do, good luck going against her in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Not since Candance Parker in 2008 has an MVP been selected from a team who finished outside the Top 3, and even then, only once during that period for a team finishing 3rd (2015 Elena Delle Donne).

I would think A'ja will become the exception.

Note: There has only ever been one unanimous MVP vote, the inaugural season in 1997.

WNBA MVP.gif

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dillion77- - -The Sun vs Sparks game from Boston was televised on NBC Sports Boston, who has the rights to the Sun games!
So it wasn't just on League Pass!
But DC has a good point that more press should have been done!
The Tuesday Seattle vs Washington game was blacked out here in CT because of contract issues! Why?
There are blackouts of games that aren't showing local teams! That makes no sense!
Thanks for that input.
Local Fox Sports "leased/rented" the rights to the Liberty-Wings game in NYC and kept it off streaming, much to the chagrin of my 20+ daughter who (only) streams.

Just seems like this one should've been coordinated better, from rights allocation to overall publicity (as you and DC noted.)

Reaction Score
Considering Hines-Allen just joined the Lynx, the justification behind the trade was proven last night. With Alanna Smith dealing with foul trouble, she made a lot of great contributions to the Lynx's victory last night. She looked like she's been part of the roster since the start of the season to me.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I didn't even have to jinx the Aces, they took care of it themselves. Probably not gonna win many games when you allow your opponent to shoot 60+% from the floor.
Led by 'Phee, of course, the Lynx had five starters in double figures for just the second time all season. Myisha Hines-Allen had 8 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists in just under 14 minutes off the bench, which is what Coach Reeve probably had in mind when she traded for her. Hines-Allen fit in seamlessly with the other Lynx vets when I saw her.

Jackie Young had one of those odd games when she shot much better from three (6-8) and the FT line (6-6) than two-point range (1-7). As noted, their defense put them in a hole (hey, Williams can shoot folks) and while they made a late run, it took the gas out of 'em.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Considering Hines-Allen just joined the Lynx, the justification behind the trade was proven last night. With Alanna Smith dealing with foul trouble, she made a lot of great contributions to the Lynx's victory last night. She looked like she's been part of the roster since the start of the season to me.
Owe you an orange juice (I was just adding some stats to that) :)

Reaction Score
Led by 'Phee, of course, the Lynx had five starters in double figures for just the second time all season. Myisha Hines-Allen had 8 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists in just under 14 minutes off the bench, which is what Coach Reeve probably had in mind when she traded for her. Hines-Allen fit in seamlessly with the other Lynx vets when I saw her.

Jackie Young had one of those odd games when she shot much better from three (6-8) and the FT line (6-6) than two-point range (1-7). As noted, their defense put them in a hole (hey, Williams can shoot folks) and while they made a late run, it took the gas out of 'em.

As Plum said last night, Williams "cooked" her. ;)

Reaction Score
Only viable options would be Collier, Stewart or Ionescu. After last year’s snub and all the hype and talk about A’ja this year, I don’t see anyone taking it from her. If they do, good luck going against her in the playoffs.
Yea if the season were to end today I'd obviously give it to her and it wouldn't be close. But the Ace's don't have a favorable schedule ahead and the Liberty have one of the easiest schedules the rest of the way so the door is still open for things to change. Unlikely but not impossible. Collier should get some looks too if the Ace's continue to struggle and they sneak into second place. My money is still on A'ja though. Her season has been unreal to date and no real reason beyond wishful thinking to think it won't continue.

Reaction Score

Funny, people seem to think Clark is next in line behind Wilson

Reaction Score
Yes...between1.0% and .000000000001%

Reaction Score
Not since Candance Parker in 2008 has an MVP been selected from a team who finished outside the Top 3, and even then, only once during that period for a team finishing 3rd (2015 Elena Delle Donne).

I would think A'ja will become the exception.

Note: There has only ever been one unanimous MVP vote, the inaugural season in 1997.

View attachment 103033
So do I, as well as all the competent voters.

Reaction Score
Atlanta is 3-0 since the break, all against teams who are going to make the playoffs. I'm tellin' ya, they are hot hot hot!
Interesting game.

Hard to draw real conclusions about the Atlanta dream given the mediocre nature of the Mercury's road work, the unraveling of the million dollar coach's well failure to coach (3 Olympic gold medalists on the team and they perform with such a lack of passion and cohesion), and what is becoming increasingly clear as a culture of blah. Contrast the emotion of Gray who's a player you just want to root for and the indifference of the Merc. Gray didn't let a slow start affect her play and man did she come on. Even more impressive against million dollar coach's outstanding defense. If things don't work out for Nate in the valley of the Sun maybe he could provide clinics on both defense and establishing a team culture.

The Dream did take care of business and I think the rematch tomorrow is going to tell us a great deal. I fully expect the Mercury to not show up, I mean it's a road game right.

Absolutely the best take on Phoenix:

'The Mercury realistically haven't done a lot to deserve the benefit of the doubt so far this season' (ya think?)

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I'd pencil A'ja in, but not in ink. In terms of the team, Vegas has 10 losses and likely will finish with 12-15 losses. Most likely they will finish between 3rd and 5th. Their defense is weak, and only 3 players are playing well.

In terms of individuals, A'ja would have to slump, almost regardless of what anyone else does. I think her scoring is still at or near a record pace. I agree that Stewie and Phee are likely also in the top 3. If their teams go on a long streak and either player puts up 20 and 10 consistently, we could have a fairly close vote. Maybe Bonner or Copper has a very outside chance. As of now, I see A'ja winning comfortably, maybe not unanimously, with Stewie and Phee tied for second. No one else gets a first-place vote.

Reaction Score
I'd pencil A'ja in, but not in ink. In terms of the team, Vegas has 10 losses and likely will finish with 12-15 losses. Most likely they will finish between 3rd and 5th. Their defense is weak, and only 3 players are playing well.

In terms of individuals, A'ja would have to slump, almost regardless of what anyone else does. I think her scoring is still at or near a record pace. I agree that Stewie and Phee are likely also in the top 3. If their teams go on a long streak and either player puts up 20 and 10 consistently, we could have a fairly close vote. Maybe Bonner or Copper has a very outside chance. As of now, I see A'ja winning comfortably, maybe not unanimously, with Stewie and Phee tied for second. No one else gets a first-place vote.
This is where I am at but with Sabrina up there as well. One could make the case she is the best player on the best team right now ahead of Stewie, but its quite close. That's probably what is really eliminating any competition A'ja might have. The other top teams are too balanced which is ironically what hurt A'ja last year in MVP voting.

Anyways I do think A'ja is MVP but there door cracked teeny tiny bit open for others depending on A'ja's and the Ace's play the rest of the way. If the Ace's were a top two team I think A'ja could slump a bit the rest of the way with no issue. Now I think she has to maintain this 27PPG/12RPB statline to grab it OR someone would have to play out of their minds the next month on a top 2 team for any serious conversation to occur.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Funny, people seem to think Clark is next in line behind Wilson
Yeah, someone a few days ago (Deb Antonelli?) said, “I’m no longer thinking of Clark as rookie of the year, but as MVP.”

My opinion, through my own cloudy lens, is that if Alyssa Thomas wasn’t MVP last season, no way should Clark be in the conversation this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HawleyArmou

Top Bottom